• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

plainr_

I was just about to complain about the lack of the Elegy (Skyline) sportscar but then I found out you can spawn one if you own any of the 4-car garages. Cool.

I've just completed the torture scene, I don't understand why the press has kicked up a fuss to be honest.

I thought the torture scene was well-executed pitch black humor. Until the
ride to the airport where they felt the need to have Trevor explain in exact detail the obvious message that torture is wrong. Something R* sadly does a lot with its satire.
It's okay to have some respect for the audience and assume they'll get the message.

antitrop

ride to the airport where they felt the need to have Trevor explain in exact detail the obvious message that torture is wrong. Something R* sadly does a lot with its satire.
It's okay to have some respect for the audience and assume they'll get the message.

Your spoiler is a good reason why the commentary falls ENTIRELY flat, but I still think it would have fallen mostly flat even if they didn't feel the need to blurt out the "intended meaning" of the scene.

The entire thing is just very poorly implemented into the game and feels out of place. Especially for Trevor, as a character. I suppose it's supposed to add "nuance" to his character-arc, but it just seems contradictory in order to try to make some kind of grand statement about torture in 21st Century America.

Derrick01

Banned
Well at least I know what everyone was talking about now and didn't have to wait until I found out myself in the game. Who actually plays games anymore anyway?

Fjordson

I guess, I've read comments from players suggesting that it put them off the game a little. I actually laughed when Trevor
ripped the tooth out
People have been surprisingly sensitive with this game for some reason.

I mean, okay that scene you're referring to I understand why it's made people uncomfortable, but I've seen complaints about the characters using too many swear words. Like..what? Feels like an odd complaint for what is essentially a gangster / crime flick in video game form.

antitrop

People have been surprisingly sensitive with this game for some reason.

I mean, okay that scene you're referring to I understand why it's made people uncomfortable, but I've seen complaints about the characters using too many swear words. Like..what? Feels like an odd complaint for what is essentially a gangster / crime flick in video game form.
Pulp Fiction is my absolute favorite movie of all time and I feel like there is too much profanity in the script of GTA V. It's poor writing and can sometimes make some of the script hard to follow.

Dan Houser is no Tarantino, when it comes to script-writing. A lot of GTA V's swearing absolutely does feel excessively obnoxious.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Kojima love :)

l_523d27eec1f7c.jpg

Randdalf

Just hopped on the back of a train passing a lumber mill and started taking pot shots at cars on the road running adjacent to it. The cops began chasing me, then I reach three stars and now they're flying helicopters after me, so I take out the pilots. Now there's an army of cops chasing me (still in the back of a train), I'm shooting helicopters out of the sky, some cops tried driving on the tracks to get to me only to be crushed and the train is getting ever closer to Los Santos. I jump out under a bridge and hide amongst the concrete. I'm just about to lose my wanted level when a cop comes out of nowhere and shotgun blasts me to the face.

Agreed, that was unnecessary.

clockpunk

The originally scored mission music is fantastic - really puts me in mind of Bully's great OST - really hope R* are planning to release it as a CD. Does anyone know if this is planned? And attempts to find news of such just beings back dozens of entries from when the radio stations were leaked...

Otherwise, enjoying the game slowly, as it absolutely phenomenal. I like the amount of clothing options, but do miss the fast food joints serving as a cheap and easy way of replenishing health - and the great dialogue that came with them. That is the only downgrade from previous titles - and I would love to see them added in as a DLC module, if nothing else.

Fjordson

Pulp Fiction is my absolute favorite movie of all time and I feel like there is too much profanity in the script of GTA V. It's poor writing and can sometimes make some of the script hard to follow.

Dan Houser is no Tarantino, when it comes to script-writing. A lot of GTA V's swearing absolutely does feel excessively obnoxious.
Huh, interesting. I haven't felt that at all. Just feels like a Reservoir Dogs or Goodfellas. Bad people in stressful situations tend to cuss.

Edit: just looked it up, and there are almost three "fucks" a minute in Reservoir Dogs :lol

pringles

To everyone having trouble with the helicopter controls: what camera angle are you using?

I couldn't control them at all with the standard camera, barely got bronze in the challenges. Switched to the hood camera and things clicked, now I can handle them just as well as in IV. Also the trick seems to be to avoid using the stick for smaller turns or adjustments, instead use LB/RB in combination with the triggers to adjust altitude and direction. Nose should be tilted downwards as much as possible in normal flight.

Philia

"You want my dick out again?!" LOL man, poor Floyd, he's getting pussywhipped so FAST.

This is why I love Trevor so damn much since the Trailer. I knew he's a wild asshole but this kept exceeding my expectations of him. He's the best character. EVER MADE.

His intro fits him well, he's a dirty fucker and he enjoys it. I absolutely love switching into him because his actions in the game are still hilarious no matter what you do. He's not complete loss because he actually genuinely cares about Ron, Wade, somehow Floyd lol, and Michael's family.

Hell, Trevor would even hang out with Lamar too. That was a surprise too. I need to get that going to see where the heck they'd hang out in. XD

Flo_Evans

Haha man.

I really haven't played a GTA since ps2. This game is nuts.

I did a recreation of "the place behind the pines" last night. Robbed a store, hopped on my motorcycle... Cops shoot out back tire. Sparks everywhere as I try and maintain control. End up ditching the bike and getting killed by cops.

Are there dirt bikes in the game ? I did find a quad, and a bad ass dune buggy but no dirt bikes yet.

Third heist was pretty disappointing. Couldn't really see who I was meant to be shooting, same few lines "yo shoot them guys on the roof" and I'm just like which roof while I'm being shot at. All the cars on the map didn't really help readability.

No real pace to it either, the get away car was more or less meaningless. I was expecting a big car chase.

Philia

Third heist was pretty disappointing. Couldn't really see who I was meant to be shooting, same few lines "yo shoot them guys on the roof" and I'm just like which roof while I'm being shot at. All the cars on the map didn't really help readability.

No real pace to it either, the get away car was more or less meaningless. I was expecting a big car chase.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. :\ The masks, suits, vehicles and all were just building up to it and its just... yeah. :\ I honestly thought this whole shoot out was a precursor to the real thing later or something.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I wish you could change the aiming dot to something like a cross or put a small circle around it. I'm finding it away to hard to find my aim in certain light colored areas.

The cursing in this game feels like one of those bad "Mature" comic books that came out in the early 2000s, where the writers thought "wheeeee, now we can put cursing EVERYWHERE, because more cursing = more mature". It's really pretty annoying after awhile.

The best scenes in the game are usually when the cursing is at a minimum. "DON'T YOU EVER NOT TELL ME THINGS I WANNA KNOW!"

Philia

I wish you could change the aiming dot to something like a cross or put a small circle around it. I'm finding it away to hard to find my aim in certain light colored areas.

You can change your crosshair to complex which is better btw than simple. Its in your settings. I was frustrated with it too, but thankfully complex has a circle around the dot.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. :\ The masks, suits, vehicles and all were just building up to it and its just... yeah. :\ I honestly thought this whole shoot out was a precursor to the real thing later or something.
It makes Taking in the Trash from GTA IV look good really and I thought that was a poor mission.

Re: The cursing. Doesn't really bother me at all. It's about the same amount that I curse.

Haha man.

I really haven't played a GTA since ps2. This game is nuts.

I did a recreation of "the place behind the pines" last night. Robbed a store, hopped on my motorcycle... Cops shoot out back tire. Sparks everywhere as I try and maintain control. End up ditching the bike and getting killed by cops.

Are there dirt bikes in the game ? I did find a quad, and a bad ass dune buggy but no dirt bikes yet.

Yep, there are dirt bikes. Go out to Blaine County, you'll see some.

Go into settings, and change the aiming from 'Simple' to 'Complex'. It'll put a circle around the dot. It's far better.

Yeah, I was hoping for a
running gun battle through the streets

antitrop

Huh, interesting. I haven't felt that at all. Just feels like a Reservoir Dogs or Goodfellas. Bad people in stressful situations tend to cuss.

Edit: just looked it up, and there are almost three "fucks" a minute in Reservoir Dogs :lol
It's the flow of the dialogue. Tarantino writes it better than Houser. I feel that the profanity in Tarantino's scripts tends to "blend" into the dialogue better, whereas in the GTA games it can feel kind of jarring and hinder that flow, ever just so slightly.

NSFW Sexy Beast
Some reviews complained about the characters inconsistency, and I really agree. Trevor feels like he was written by three different writers.. in his missions he is a crazy, deranged psychopath and takes orders or shit from no-one, then in the other characters missions he is slightly unstable and overly aggressive, but then in the side missions he is helpful and nice. Very jarring when you go from one to the other.
You mean the missions for Nigel and his mistress? I think they're hilarious and I don't think it detracts from his character at all. Only 1/3rd of the way through though.

painey

Some reviews complained about the characters inconsistency, and I really agree. Trevor feels like he was written by three different writers.. in his missions he is a crazy, deranged psychopath and takes orders or shit from no-one, then in the other characters missions he is slightly unstable and overly aggressive, but then in the side missions he is helpful and nice. Very jarring when you go from one to the other.

I actually like that aspect about him, because if he was constantly "BLAAAAAARGH I'M GONNA CUMFUCK YOU FUCKERS IN YOUR FUCKIN EYEBALLS TIL YOU FUCKIN DIE"(/houserdialog), he would just be really fuckin' annoying.

Philia

I actually like that aspect about him, because if he was constantly "BLAAAAAARGH I'M GONNA CUMFUCK YOU FUCKERS IN YOUR FUCKIN EYEBALLS TIL YOU FUCKIN DIE"(/houserdialog), he would just be really fuckin' annoying.

Agreed, he kept things INTERESTING. :D

Still, lmao poor Floyd. XD I need to play more to find out what the heck happened to Debra or why haven't I seen her yet.

Fjordson

It's the flow of the dialogue. Tarantino writes it better than Houser. I feel that the profanity in Tarantino's scripts tends to "blend" into the dialogue better, whereas in the GTA games it can feel kind of jarring and hinder that flow, ever just so slightly.
I see. I mean don't get me wrong, while I quite enjoy Dan Houser's work, I would never put him alongside the likes of a Tarantino. It just hasn't felt too out of place for me. I dunno.

Dreaver

Went into the wooden camp (Althruist) after delivering some random drunk fella', did not expect
to encounter completely naked old men D:
/.

antitrop

I see. I mean don't get me wrong, while I quite enjoy Dan Houser's work, I would never put him alongside the likes of a Tarantino. It just hasn't felt too out of place for me. I dunno.
Yeah, but Tarantino is clearly one of his most major influences, so the comparisons are inevitable.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Go into settings, and change the aiming from 'Simple' to 'Complex'. It'll put a circle around the dot. It's far better.

Thank you, I thought that setting was to change some of the auto aiming properties or something. They should have named it crosshairs select or something.

Gorillaz

Houser needs a little work and ironing out of dialogue before he's even in the same league as Tarantino.

He has the Michael character down the best tho, mainly due to GTA being mafia based for so long.

I guess that's his mental illness at play. He's incredibly unbalanced and unpredictable.

that guy i saved the bikes for just sent me my reward. should i sell that, or is that reward worth keeping? i am not far in the story at all, if that matters

Houser needs a little work and ironing out of dialogue before he's even in the same league as Tarantino.

He has the Michael character down the best tho, mainly due to GTA being mafia based for so long.

The Michael stuff is rather good. I really like all his therapist sessions and his various interactions with his family.

The Franklin stuff sounds like their only exposure to black people is through movies and music.

Trevor stuff is somewhere in the middle.

lil smoke

Banned
Hard?

It's frigin ridiculous. It's a fucking pixel.

Everything else is great though :)

I love this game. But did the main characters really need to swear every 5 seconds?
I felt the expressions get a bit cartoony/cliche at times, but I'm very early in the game.

Gorillaz

The Michael stuff is rather good. I really like all his therapist sessions and his various interactions with his family.

The Franklin stuff sounds like their only exposure to black people is through movies and music.

Trevor stuff is somewhere in the middle.
Damn I just remembered the therapy sessions. Bout to hit them up now.

Agreed on everything tho, I already talked about franklin long enough but that sums it up and trevor is this really weird off beat thing going on. Dont know if its some sort of mental thing of the character or just the writing.

Ugh it will probably not be until next weekend that I'll be able to play this.. The wait has become unbearable for the past week, but work first.

Any cool videos I can watch that don't spoil the story?

Damn I just remembered the therapy sessions. Bout to hit them up now.

Agreed on everything tho, I already talked about franklin long enough but that sums it up and trevor is this really weird off beat thing going on. Dont know if its some sort of mental thing of the character or just the writing.

Yeah, I think we talked about that in the Black Culture Thread. I don't know what else to say about my mothafuckin' nigga Franklin, man. That's just how it it be in these bitch-ass fuckin streets homie dawg homie. Real recog-fuckin'-nize real homie, ya feel me my nigga dawg?

Trevor seems like the Joker to me. He'll be cool with you one day, then the next he'll shoot you in the face because it's Tuesday and that's whats funny to him on Tuesday.

Fjordson

Yeah, the complex reticule works much better than the dot.

I don't really have any complaints after playing for about 20 hours, save for one thing: firing guns while driving. I don't know if it's the controls or if I'm just bad but holy shit I can't hit a damn thing when doing that. It's bad.

Top Bottom