• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Some reviews complained about the characters inconsistency, and I really agree. Trevor feels like he was written by three different writers.. in his missions he is a crazy, deranged psychopath and takes orders or shit from no-one, then in the other characters missions he is slightly unstable and overly aggressive, but then in the side missions he is helpful and nice. Very jarring when you go from one to the other.
That's the best part about him, you have no idea when he's going to snap. I like him much more than I thought I would because I thought he was always going to be an angry ball of rage.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, the complex reticule works much better than the dot.

I don't really have any complaints after playing for about 20 hours, save for one thing: firing guns while driving. I don't know if it's the controls or if I'm just bad but holy shit I can't hit a damn thing when doing that. It's bad.

Yeah the biggest problem with shooting while driving is that you can't aim first, so you have to make a vague guess and then fire to get a reticule but even then it's hard as anyone other than Franklin.

Fjordson

Yeah the biggest problem with shooting while driving is that you can't aim first, so you have to make a vague guess and then fire to get a reticule but even then it's hard as anyone other than Franklin.
Huh, never thought about it, but I guess you're right. You press the button and you just start firing away :lol it just feels weird control-wise.

Also, how exactly does property work? At first I thought you get income over time but that doesn't seem to be it... Do you need to do missions for the place each time to get money? Is it worth buying? I've got mad money after completing the first heist and since the car situation is all screwed up I was thinking of just blowing it on property and clothes, maybe a few random stocks. Good idea?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Also, how exactly does property work? At first I thought you get income over time but that doesn't seem to be it... Do you need to do missions for the place each time to get money? Is it worth buying? I've got mad money after completing the first heist and since the car situation is all screwed up I was thinking of just blowing it on property and clothes, maybe a few random stocks. Good idea?

Stocks only. Property is useless, most generate income but it's barely 1% return. So just save up and put everything into Stock tips you get from strangers and from missions. I blew a lot of my first heist money and I wish I had reinvested it.

Gorillaz

Yeah, I think we talked about that in the Black Culture Thread. I don't know what else to say about my mothafuckin' nigga Franklin, man. That's just how it it be in these bitch-ass fuckin streets homie dawg homie. Real recog-fuckin'-nize real homie, ya feel me my nigga dawg?
lmao exactly

Trevor seems like the Joker to me. He'll be cool with you one day, then the next he'll shoot you in the face because it's Tuesday and that's whats funny to him on Tuesday.

Yea he's pretty unpredictable. Like what was said earlier it's weird to see him flip out during normal missions but side ones he is pretty chill. Still like him but dude is the definition of split personality

lmao exactly

Yea he's pretty unpredictable. Like what was said earlier it's weird to see him flip out during normal missions but side ones he is pretty chill. Still like him but dude is the definition of split personality

At least here it makes more sense than Niko's endless whining yet widespread massacre of people.

Ivan

I know it's already all over the thread, but may I ask some experts here to describe driving mechanics/physics in V and make a comparison with IV (now when it had time to grow on you)?

Is it too arcadey, or like IV, but just more sharp and precise? What is the main difference in feel of that part of the game?

I need to hear it, thanx.

MMaRsu

Some fucking asshole just spoiled the ending for me in a text message. WTF is wrong with this fucking clown, I wish I could smack him. Too bad he lives far far away

wait what, there are no fast food joints in the game..? no Cluckin Bell, Burger Shot or anything? i loved going to those in GTAIV to replenish health :( "welcome to Burger Shot muthafuckaaa!"

Some fucking asshole just spoiled the ending for me in a text message. WTF is wrong with this fucking clown, I wish I could smack him. Too bad he lives far far away

what a dick. give his number to.. some places.

Gorillaz

At least here it makes more sense than Niko's endless whining yet widespread massacre of people.
Yea, I remember a few times going "really? you having a moral compass over this small shit but not the bloodtrail of cops you left behind 2 mins ago?"

I know it's already all over the thread, but may I ask some experts here to describe driving mechanics/physics in V and make a comparison with IV (now when it had time to grow on you)?

Is it too arcadey, or like IV, but just more sharp and precise? What is the main difference in feel of that part of the game?

I need to hear it, thanx.
It's not SR aracdy but it's a lot more laxed then 4. Driving is alot smoother but at the same time it's easy as hell to lose control fishtail/spinout.

TheMan

helicopter controls, shooting while driving, and the inability to buy food at stands/restaurants are three big things rockstar screwed. i mean, they got so many things right, it's confusing that they'd drop the ball in those areas.

Yea, I remember a few times going "really? you having a moral compass over this small shit but not the bloodtrail of cops you left behind 2 mins ago?"

This is why I hope one day we can play as a cop in GTA. I wanna see the other side of the story.

Yeah, at least the characters in this game are self-aware enough that what they're doing is awful but they do it regardless. And the situations with cops feels like narratively, it plays out better. The first heist
you can play it smart, and mostly avoid cops. Even when you're knocking the cop cars down with the truck, it's to save your buddies.
In the third heist,
you're forced into the situation by those FIB pricks, so you don't really have a choice but to survive. Besides, it's mostly Trevor doing the killing, at least when I played it

I think they did a good enough job with the characters here that I play the characters as I think they would act. So Trevor really is a cop-killing lunatic, but Michael... isn't a fucking psycho at all.

Every time I run from the police in this game I feel like I'm recreating infinite varieties of the opening scene in Drive.

I always think of the Mini chase scene from Bourne Identity. Weave between cars trying to cause a crash behind me, dart into alleys so the cops lose their sightline, and when you finally do pull into a parking garage, abandon car and walk away.

New Truck

dEZIAGx.jpg

Not as nice as mine.

4xO5xcQ.jpg

Derrick01

Banned

With how liberal people are being in this thread with spoilers I'm shocked I haven't seen the ending yet. Give them time I guess, the day is still young.

Alienous

Could you spoiler tag what you read, and perhaps PM it to me? Because, honestly, I have no idea how the ending could be spoiled in a text.

helicopter controls, shooting while driving, and the inability to buy food at stands/restaurants are three big things rockstar screwed. i mean, they got so many things right, it's confusing that they'd drop the ball in those areas.

Yeah this game does the hard things really well (creating a believable open world with tons of stuff to do) but some of the basic shit that infuriates me. Pictures being tied to the social club, cars disappearing, helicopter controls, the reticule being almost impossible to see even with the complex one turned on. It's odd.

MMaRsu

Could you spoiler tag what you read, and perhaps PM it to me? Because, honestly, I have no idea how the ending could be spoiled in a text.

What he said was that in the end you have to decide which of the three you want to kill or you can go deathwish style

Alienous

Yeah this game does the hard things really well (creating a believable open world with tons of stuff to do) but some of the basic shit that infuriates me. Pictures being tied to the social club, cars disappearing, helicopter controls, the reticule being almost impossible to see even with the complex one turned on. It's odd.

I've said this before, but hands down the major flaw of this game is the
heists

I can accept only having 6 heists, as Rockstar said before the game was released. But only half of them are good. The first, fifth and sixth. Otherwise, you hardly get to pick a team, and they just seem like missions more than anything else. Seriously, flipping a van is considered one of the 6 major heists. And the logic of heists evaporates as the game continues, with characters mysteriously procuring getaway vehicles, weapons and armor. Just so lazy.

Alienous

What he said was that in the end you have to decide which of the three you want to kill or you can go deathwish style

If that's all you've heard regarding the ending, you'll be OK. That 'ending' is partially incorrect, not quite detailed enough to give you the context of the actions, and really not what the end of the game distills to. Seriously, if you play the game through you will understand why that is hardly a spoiler of the ending.

I've said this before, but hands down the major flaw of this game is the
heists

I can accept only having 6 heists, as Rockstar said before the game was released. But only half of them are good. The first, fifth and sixth. Otherwise, you hardly get to pick a team, and they just seem like missions more than anything else. Seriously, flipping a van is considered one of the 6 major heists. And the logic of heists evaporates as the game continues, with characters mysteriously procuring getaway vehicles, weapons and armor. Just so lazy.

Would you think the online
heists
will make up for that?

Alienous

heists
will make up for that?

I hope so.

Watching the GTA Online trailer again, it looks to have more interiors. Also, you are able to talk into the microphone to distract guards, and have an actual person stationed outside of a bank (or any of the other places you might rob) with a getaway vehicle. Heck, you can wear a mask to remove one star from your wanted level if the police come.

So, yeah, I imagine that GTA Online will make up for that.

Dead Man

I think I figured out what irritates me about the car handling. They have some weird traction control or something, when the tail snaps, you often can't get the engine to rev, so all you can do is counter steer and wait for the spin to stop. Correcting from a slide in about half the cars seems to be impacted by this.

Don't feel bad, I wasted most of them because I was fed up with fucking Bawsaq not working and just wanted to complete them :lol

A guy on Reddit ended up with (money amount)
threehundred and fifty million usd
by doing the contracts after the game had ended.

Bloody hell!

Yeah, pretty much sums up my feeling.

devo1989

Heist 2 stock fuckery advice needed.

I invested way too much money into merryweather's rival gruppeSechs, it hasn't went up at all in 3 game days after the ship sinking. Did I fuck up?

Gorillaz

heists
will make up for that?
Maybe. I dont think they will be as dynamic as R making it sound like but well see.

Speaking of online with social club crashing like it is i hope they will have there shit together for the online launch next tuesday. Part of me feels like they wont

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I hope so.

Watching the GTA Online trailer again, it looks to have more interiors. Also, you are able to talk into the microphone to distract guards, and have an actual person stationed outside of a bank (or any of the other places you might rob) with a getaway vehicle. Heck, you can wear a mask to remove one star from your wanted level if the police come.

So, yeah, I imagine that GTA Online will make up for that.

GTAO is going to be SOOOO GOOOOD

Hip Hop

So how am I ever going to raise $200 million for the achievement?

I did all the Lester missions early because I thought they were part of the main quests. and barely invested anything.

Hellcrow

I was flying low with a plane, and suddenly it exploded. A goddamn sailboat popped in and I had flown right into the mast.

Also, custom cars is way more fun then expected.

Stocks only. Property is useless, most generate income but it's barely 1% return. So just save up and put everything into Stock tips you get from strangers and from missions. I blew a lot of my first heist money and I wish I had reinvested it.

What's the difference between BAWSAQ and LCN? Which one should I be using?

789shadow

Banned
Had my first "switch to Trevor" moment when he was already driving down the freeway with 2 stars on his wanted level. Asshole ended up losing me 5000 dollars. :(

Anyway, a question about buying stocks that are going to be going way up due to assassinations: when Lester tells you what stock to buy, but before you actually complete the assassination, can you switch to the other two character and also have them buy the stock without failing the mission?

Top Bottom