• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

OCASM

Banned
It's funny how everyone was losing their minds over Ratchet and Clank and Miles Morales but now a far more ambitious game arrives from Insomniac and everyone saying it's a PS4 game? It's the same engine it's just doing more now than it did before.
Jim Carrey What GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member
lol exactly. This thread is the only sane one where people were like its good, but its not that good. It's pretty much the only thread where i can call it a PS4.5 game and not have people jump down my throat.

As for miles, no one said it looked next gen.

What does PS4.5 even mean if not PS4 Pro? You don't have to give us the contrarian shtick 24/7. You're allowed to be sensible every now and then. Rift Apart represents a generational leap and a far cry from what could be done on either PS4 consoles. That doesn't mean it's the ceiling for current gen visuals.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What does PS4.5 even mean if not PS4 Pro? You don't have to give us the contrarian shtick 24/7. You're allowed to be sensible every now and then. Rift Apart represents a generational leap and a far cry from what could be done on either PS4 consoles. That doesn't mean it's the ceiling for current gen visuals.
You thought TLOU Part 1 looked next gen. I dont think you get to lecture me on being sensible.

Nearly everyone here agrees that neither Ratchet nor Spiderman are mind blowing next gen experiences. It is you who is sticking out like a sore thumb defending this stuff. Not me.

2025 is out of the picture seeing as how those games wouldve been revealed 2-3 years in advance like horizon fw, gow ragnorak, gt7, ff16, ff7 rebirth, forspoken, spiderman and wolverine. So you're looking at 2026-2028. The worst part is that its a total of four games. TLOU3, Wolverine, Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Whatever SSM is cooking up. The rest are all GaaS games that will look last gen. So 4 games from the cream of the crop for us to look forward to for the remainder of the gen. There is no secret second team. No new IP in development that would release in the next 6 months. Just four games, one of which is insomniac who have regressed to embarrassing levels and should have their sony first party card revoked.

Fuck

We'll get something from Bluepoint hopefully in '24/'25 ...

the potentially long gap between Spiderman 2 and the first crop of true next gen Sony games in '25/26 makes Spidermans visual disappointment even worse.

Last edited:
I still have a tinfoil hat theory that Sony are saving a lot of their big cards (including next-gen goodies) for later this year. Just as a way to stay ahead and strangle Xbox's mindshare.
Strangle Xbox's mindshare? They don't need to. They're so far ahead of Xbox in terms of sales and installbase, it's not funny.

Personally, I think when you've been the market leader for so long, you get a bit lazy, and that's what I think is happening with Sony. I'm sure they have other games in the pipeline, but they just aren't ready to show yet. They'll show them when they're ready; I'm not worried.

For us serious gamers, the showcase is a bit of a red flag, but for casual gamers, it's nothing. It's certainly not going to stop anyone from buying a PS. Sales will continue as is, and more games will be revealed at a later date.

SlimySnake

Thoughts on FF7-Rebirth? Looks virtually identical to the last game despite being a PS5 only game that started development after the PS5 and UE5 were revealed.

As I pointed out, they didnt even bother upgrading the character models. Looks like they are settling for a 60 fps quick iterative sequel.

Warhammer Space Marine was the only impressive thing at the show. MK isnt doing anything special either. Alan Wake look really mid.

SlimySnake

Game is cross Gen lmao

Remember when they said they needed the ssd to do the open world simultaneously saying they would reuse the same character models. Well that was a fucking lie.

And then people say we shouldn’t call these devs lazy.

K2D

Banned
Thoughts on FF7-Rebirth? Looks virtually identical to the last game despite being a PS5 only game that started development after the PS5 and UE5 were revealed.

As I pointed out, they didnt even bother upgrading the character models. Looks like they are settling for a 60 fps quick iterative sequel.

Warhammer Space Marine was the only impressive thing at the show. MK isnt doing anything special either. Alan Wake look really mid.
Reference Intermission dlc which was PS5 exclusive

You can play and pick that apart right now and scrutinize, as well as the fact that they've confirmed Rebirth to be developed on UE5. I'm confident it will look good.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Reference Intermission dlc

which you can pick apart right now and scrutinize, as well as the fact that they've confirmed Rebirth to be developed on UE5. I'm confident it will look good.
Doesnt matter if its ue5. It’s last Gen. See above.

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D

K2D

Banned
Game is cross Gen lmao

Remember when they said they needed the ssd to do the open world simultaneously saying they would reuse the same character models. Well that was a fucking lie.

Trailer shows PS5 only. Never trust websites.

OCASM

Banned

The completely static vegetation looked extremely bad.

K2D

Banned
Foliage and vegetation looked lack luster (compared even to TotK..! lack of animation mainly)

but that is soo far down on the priority list of things I want them to fix from remake 😂

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Game is cross Gen lmao

Typo. The DLC for part 1 was PS5 only, the game was announced as PS5 only, the trailer had no PS4 logo, the press release only mentions PS5, that website is also for part 1 which is for PS4.

Trailer was heavily compressed and 1080p, but visuals look fantastic. Remake on PS5 ran at a native 2160p / locked 30fps and 1612p / locked 60fps, with a lot of visual upgrades and is one of the smoothest running games on the console. Hopefully this reaches the same heights.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2D

K2D

Banned
Typo. The DLC for part 1 was PS5 only, the game was announced as PS5 only, the trailer had no PS4 logo, the press release only mentions PS5, that website is also for part 1 which is for PS4.

Trailer was heavily compressed and 1080p, but visuals look fantastic. Remake on PS5 ran at a native 2160p / locked 30fps and 1612p / locked 60fps, with a lot of visual upgrades and is one of the smoothest running games on the console. Hopefully this reaches the same heights.

This.

YZ6ashS.jpg

If people still haven't caught up 😂

• It’s exclusive to PlayStation 5 because of the graphical quality, of course, as well as SSD access speed. Since the adventure unfolds in a vast world after the escape from Midgar, loading stress is an extreme bottleneck. We felt we needed the specifications of PlayStation 5 to overcome that and travel the world comfortably.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This gen is doomed.

Came home to find out that the huge mega reveal at SGF Geoff wanted us to get excited about was .... Another last-gen looking remake.

Not a brand new AAA IP with amazing next gen graphics and gameplay. But another fucking Weeb ass final fantasy game. And not even a new one. A remake.

Thats what they want us to get excited about?

FyIMxx_aMAAfj5J

And then you have the truly egregious below.

Devs just plaguing the industry with their fucking high school intern quality work.

8cJW6Ip.jpg

How is this not cancelled right away? Why is it hitting store shelves?

Why are no journalists calling this out?

You have the power of a 10+ TF machine, and this is the best you put out?

What the hell is going on?

Usually the gen gets better as it gets older. Its actually getting worse.

Games are looking uglier than ever.

Sequels are looking worse then their predecessors.

Last edited:

Edder1

It's official, next gen is not happening, lol. We have games announced for 2024 and they look worse than cross gen games like Forbidden West and Forza Horizon 5. Seems like first half of this generation is just gonna be an extension of last gen with slightly better visuals. I'm still shocked how Space Marines 2 is the most visually impressive game we've seen this year. The amount of detail and the scale of that game is something you can't do on last gen consoles.

What an absolute disappointment this gen has been thus far from a technical perspective. It's still shocking where we are after all the hype following first UE5 demo 3 years ago. In terms of visual jump this has to be the most disappointing generation we've ever had, at least so far anyway.

Last edited:

Kappa

Only people shocked by this are console gamers anyone with a PC knows this was expected. Only "next gen" game out right now is star citizen and id border on not even calling that a game but the texture quality and definition on certain objects is unmatched.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
All this shows me is that I was right not not spend a cent buying a "next gen console". These companies are all BS
The problem is even worse on PC.

Not a single dev in existence is doing things to take advantage of that advanced PC hardware. Still just focusing on console hardware and upping the framerate/res. Ratchet and Clank on PC looks identical to the PS5 version.

No one has the balls to make a PC AAA exclusive targeted around 30/4090's and just say fuck everyone else.

The problem is even worse on PC.

Not a single dev in existence is doing things to take advantage of that advanced PC hardware. Still just focusing on console hardware and upping the framerate/res. Ratchet and Clank on PC looks identical to the PS5 version.

No one has the balls to make a PC AAA exclusive targeted around 30/4090's and just say fuck everyone else.
Well it's not going to sell very well is it?

I know it seems dire boys but personally I'm holding out hope for Sunday.

Starfield and Hellblade 2 + Maybe Avowed/Fable/Gears 6/New IP reveals I just have a strong feeling its gonna be a good next gen showcase kinda day. Hope im not wrong.

(EDIT: Cant believe I'm putting my faith in gaming in fucking xbox now... what a new low...)

Last edited:

Starfield and Hellblade 2 + Maybe Avowed/Fable/Gears 6/New IP reveals I just have a strong feeling its gonna be a good next gen showcase kinda day. Hope im not wrong.

(EDIT: Cant believe I'm putting my faith in gaming in fucking xbox now... what a new low...)
Forza is going to be stunning that's the one I'd be putting my money on graphically speaking. Hellblade 2 obviously is another one that's got the potential to blow everything else away, we shall see.

alloush

This gen is doomed.

Came home to find out that the huge mega reveal at SGF Geoff wanted us to get excited about was .... Another last-gen looking remake.

Not a brand new AAA IP with amazing next gen graphics and gameplay. But another fucking Weeb ass final fantasy game. And not even a new one. A remake.

FyIMxx_aMAAfj5J

Devs just plaguing the industry with their fucking high school intern quality work.

8cJW6Ip.jpg

It's official, next gen isn't happening, lol. We have games announced for 2024 and they look worse than cross gen games like Forbidden West and Forza Horizon 5. Seems like first half of this generation is just gonna be an extension of last gen with slightly better visuals. I'm still shocked how Space Marines is the most visually impressive game we've seen this year. The amount of detail and the scope in that game is something you can't do on last gen consoles.

What an absolute disappointment this gen has been thus far from a technical perspective. It's still shocking where we are after all the hype following first UE5 demo 3 years ago.
Shhh keep it down boys, you ain’t allowed to criticize the devs on these boards. They are holy and their word is gospel.

Bold prediction time:

I think there will be multiple titles at the Xbox Games Showcase that blow our socks off, and our optimism towards the future of current gen visuals will be much higher after this Sunday.

I really, really hope you're right. Things are not looking great (pun intended) right now.

SlimySnake

I am cautiously optimistic too, but lets face it, after Sonys disastrous conference and an equally underwhelming Summer Gamefest showcasing dated third party content, it's obvious the issue is industry wide. Someone here said is it a conspiracy that everyone is trash right now, but clearly this is a trend that is affecting everyone from talented sony studios to talented third party studios. Why wouldnt it affect the not as talented first party Microsoft studios?

It's clear that the studios are content pushing out cross gen trash in 2023 and 2024. FF7 started dev in April of 2020. This is a UE game that couldve used UE5 but chose not to. This is a game that couldve used the power of the PS5 to enhance character models, they didnt. It's sheer laziness, complacency and shows a complete lack of ambition. No one wants to be the one who sets new standards in graphics, physics, and other gameplay systems. Everyone is just coasting. MS studios like Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Initiative, and PLayground Games arent really known for pushing boundries. maybe Playground games, but they were content with shipping a cross gen game just a couple of years ago.

The only thing that can potentially be a difference maker is that they have targeted next gen systems for the last 3 years unlike sony studios and third party devs who clearly started off making these games cross gen. That is what gives me hope. It would be crazy if after all the shit Phil got for his cross gen comments in 2020, he would probably the one who ended being ahead of the curve with these true next gen games.

H . R . 2

I am cautiously optimistic too, but lets face it, after Sonys disastrous conference and an equally underwhelming Summer Gamefest showcasing dated third party content, it's obvious the issue is industry wide. Someone here said is it a conspiracy that everyone is trash right now, but clearly this is a trend that is affecting everyone from talented sony studios to talented third party studios. Why wouldnt it affect the not as talented first party Microsoft studios?

It's clear that the studios are content pushing out cross gen trash in 2023 and 2024. FF7 started dev in April of 2020. This is a UE game that couldve used UE5 but chose not to. This is a game that couldve used the power of the PS5 to enhance character models, they didnt. It's sheer laziness, complacency and shows a complete lack of ambition. No one wants to be the one who sets new standards in graphics, physics, and other gameplay systems. Everyone is just coasting. MS studios like Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Initiative, and PLayground Games arent really known for pushing boundries. maybe Playground games, but they were content with shipping a cross gen game just a couple of years ago.

The only thing that can potentially be a difference maker is that they have targeted next gen systems for the last 3 years unlike sony studios and third party devs who clearly started off making these games cross gen. That is what gives me hope. It would be crazy if after all the shit Phil got for his cross gen comments in 2020, he would probably the one who ended being ahead of the curve with these true next gen games.
it is now becoming more and more clear to everyone that devs' complacency,laziness, and lack of ambition/passion is real.
one would think that with more power, devs would be able to push the boundaries of what was not creatively and technically possible last gen.
to these companies, this gen was akin to more legroom on an airplane, what do you do when you get it? you stretch your legs and put your feet up!
they just don't want to put in the work anymore. they know that 60fps and 4K modes are more than enough for most players to make the purchase, regardless of what the final game looks or plays like.
just leave it up to the players to delude themselves into thinking this is fine.
EVERY TIME: "bad graphics? looks FINE to me! no physics or destructibility? it doesn't need them. better AI? it's supposed to be like that! server queueing?
what did you expect, it is day 1; MTX? you don't have to pay for them, I easily got the item after 100+ hours"

I do not mince or hide behind words. I believe we gamers are to blame not these studios or corporations.
we should have voted with our wallets and held them to higher standards. and apparently, we did.
" ANYTHING below 60fps is simply UNACCEPTABLE, give us that no matter how empty, unambitious, and crappy the game itself is" [Redfall]

so to those who keep saying that such discussions should not occur and next-gen features such as better graphics [which is exactly what they have paid for] don't matter I say,
I guess we should have talked amongst and educated ourselves more.

P.S. the only upside of it all is that for once the majority of real gamers are all somehow, one way or another, equally disappointed in the industry. it has united gamers and brought solidarity to gaming.
I am a Playstation fan through and through but I am keeping my fingers crossed for MS showcase. I hope they give Sony the business

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This gen is doomed.

FyIMxx_aMAAfj5J

8cJW6Ip.jpg

Were you seriously hoping for square to show nextgen graphic after ff16?:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

it is now becoming more and more clear to everyone that devs' complacency,laziness, and lack of ambition/passion is real.
one would think that with more power, devs would be able to push the boundaries of what was not creatively and technically possible last gen.
to these companies, this gen was akin to more legroom on an airplane, what do you do when you get it? you stretch your legs and put your feet up!
they just don't want to put in the work anymore. they know that 60fps and 4K modes are more than enough for most players to make the purchase, regardless of what the final game looks or plays like.
just leave it up to the players to delude themselves into thinking this is fine.
every time: "bad graphics? looks FINE to me! no physics or destructibility? it doesn't need them. better AI? it's supposed to be like that! server queueing? what did you expect, it is day 1; MTX? you don't have to buy them, I easily got the item after 100+ hours"

I do not mince or hide behind words. I believe we gamers are to blame not these studios or corporations.
we should have voted with our wallets and held them to higher standards. and apparently, we did.
" ANYTHING below 60fps is simply UNACCEPTABLE, give us that no matter how empty, unambitious, and crappy the game itself is" [Redfall]

so to those who keep saying that such discussions should not occur and next-gen features such as better grapgics [which is exactly what they have paid for] don't matter I say,
I guess we should have talked amongst and educated ourselves more.
I think the backlash is growing. Spiderman was very poorly received by the hardcore. On Twitter i still get butthurt fanboys telling me i dont have eyes or that i dont know about about game development, every time i simply ask Insomniac why it looks last gen. But here on gaf and era? Id say 80-90% of the people realize that Spiderman and nearly every game shown at summer gamefest and sonys conference looked last gen.

Yes, we are a small minority but we are very vocal and publishers know we create trends and make things go viral. You can see just how much damage control Insomniac had to do on twitter. We saw them show up to summer gamefest with freaking concept art because they knew the game doesnt look good and it would cause an even bigger shitstorm.

You will always have fanboys who will defend the indefensible. Just dont let them shut you down by calling you concern trolls, accuse you of spreading FUD and whatnot. Eventually, people will wise up and start speaking up. Devs will have no choice but to pay attention.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Saw this on reddit... and people argue that sm2 does not look like a ps4 game?
yes, because ps4 game looks better. Apparently Days gone boozer and this sm2 guy are the same actor
kk6EPe5.jpg
I knew the trailers was about to be totally underwhelmimg the moment they showed kraven's face.

Well at least the voice acting is gonna be great, boozer was THE bro.

alloush

Would you believe me if I told you I did not know the Summer Gamefest happened? Usually there would be a lotta buzz around it but this year things were awfully quiet around it that I wasn’t even aware it took place, lol. Weird times, man!

I know these are typically shat on, but this is probably the most competently put together fan reimagining I have seen on UE5.

For those that haven't played the original game on PS1, you probably wont appreciate the artstyle. But it captures it pretty much perfectly.

Looks awesome! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

KXVXII9X

I'm not even someone obsessed with graphics but this generation is inexcusable. I'm seeing more and more games that look like they could be for the PS3. Even Crysis 3 and GTAV on my PS3 looked more impressive than a lot of these cashgrabs. There is no real push on the gameplay front and static, lifeless worlds are becoming more common. We are evolving backwards.

I'm not a professional artists by means, but I do have an eye for how things are presented coming from a Graphics Design background and it feels insulting looking at this mess. Visual clarity is absent. Art Direction is replaced by mix and match assets. Sound design, level design, animations, game feel/weight/feedback, and other attention to detail are all a low priority.

I get that it is a gargantuan amount of work, but these studios opt to make these larger than life games or games that want content above all else. Last generation we had many smaller scaled games with great production values.

I think it was a mistakes making it seem like anyone could be a game developer. The standards of game design have skyrocketed immensely. So many copycat devs have to steal trending concepts. Older games definitely weren't perfect and had their share of lookalikes, but there were actual advancements among the muck.

I blame gamers too. Most just want the same thing over and over again. Any new advancement is seen as a gimmick or waste of dev time. They excuse everything. Even something like the traversal in Death Stranding changes how you navigate the game world in a more engaging way. Most games just have you gliding through terrain. No physics, no interactivity, no new systems.

alloush

I blame gamers too. Most just want the same thing over and over again. Any new advancement is seen as a gimmick or waste of dev time. They excuse everything. Even something like the traversal in Death Stranding changes how you navigate the game world in a more engaging way. Most games just have you gliding through terrain. No physics, no interactivity, no new systems.
This part, man. I have a friend of mine who absolutely hates it everytime there is a new tech or an advancement in tech like the Dualsense controller which he labeled a gimmick and called all its new features useless. I get livid everytime he complains about companies trying to innovate, he thinks it is a waste of time and says no one is gonna be using said new tech.

People like him are the reason we are where we are right now. Lack of ambition on the devs part stems from the lack of ambition on the gamers part. Devs seldom innovate nowadays as a result, and why would they if everytime they innovate it’s seen as a waste of time by the masses who are content with subpar products and eat up anything that gets thrown at them anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom