• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I mean all the games have been built run on the Series S too. So not expecting visuals beyond what we've seen in other titles in any significant way.

Yeah, and Series S has a desktop class CPU and an SSD just like the other current-gen consoles.

It's a perfectly capable box for lower res versions of these games with some reduced settings.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Q: Does Forza Motorsport feature ray traced global illumination?

A: Forza Motorsport on PC will feature RTGI (ray traced global illumination).

Q: How does RTGI improve the visuals of Forza Motorsport?

A: On PC, when we apply ray tracing to global illumination, we are simulating how light accumulates color as it bounces from surface to surface, so a barrier next to a red rumble strip will be influenced by that color, creating a scene where all the pieces are connected.

DensePleasantCavy-max-1mb.gif

john2gr

A: On PC, when we apply ray tracing to global illumination, we are simulating how light accumulates color as it bounces from surface to surface, so a barrier next to a red rumble strip will be influenced by that color, creating a scene where all the pieces are connected.

What's the source of this?

Neo_game

Starfield can looks amazing, but it is a mixed bag. I think AW2 also looks great, Phantom liberty too will be amazing in night as well. Hellbalde 2 trailer was rubbish. But I expect it to be great. Others looked mid at best.

"We don't need a mid-gen refresh" they said....well I sure as hell wanna see this option on Series X it should be a night and day difference bring on the Series Z

SABRE220

Surprisingly enough fable was the best-looking game of the show assuming it was indeed in game. It honestly looked next-gen not ue tech demo but definitely better than the cross-gen shit we had so far.

The downgrade in hellblade2 is disgusting, the original reveal and even the proceeding trailers were crystal clear and had insane geometry while this was just wow...it was rendering at an extremely low resolution so they just spammed chromatic aberration to hide shit behind the blur. Even the fidelity on display is a huge downgrade, especially geometry. After all their self hype the developers didn't think their dishonesty would be caught?

Starfield was nice, with large beautiful vistas but its inconsistent and close detail was lacking and the framerate was pretty bad.

Last edited:
Horizon doesn't have 10% of the scope of Starfield so your comparing the two is just plain wrong. Horizon takes place on one map while Starfield has multiple worlds to explore and much deeper RPG mechanics. Horizon is also way more linear experience.
100% wishful thinking zero facts.
Fact is what we've seen of actual in-game material so far didn't look next gen at all, not even close, and that unheard of scope you're going on about is still unconfirmed outside of "a lot of procedurally generated stuff", and other PR hogwash.
You're reciting PR lines instead of going with the material we've actually seen.

16x the detail...

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I thought Fable looked great but Forza was the star of the show for me - just stunning.

Not really sure what to make of Hellblade tbh, what they showed was just so meh that it's hard to have an opinion.

Next gen feels like it's finally about to start. I think I'll look into building a PC that can actually run this stuff at 60fps with good IQ.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just watched Flight Sim 2024, gaddamn that game looks insane. They have improved the details on the ground significantly.

648637c9e86364cef0730512_fs20248-min.jpg

64863786dd498a9d53f96012_fs20243-min.jpg

648636c7e9a39e4a1a63dca0_fs20241-min.jpg

006.jpg

016.jpg
I always find it odd how this game is dismissed every time people say we are not going to get a big leap this gen. that spiderman is the best it could do.

yes, its a different kind of game, but the lighting model needs to be the same. it still needs to render everything other more traditional games do.

I always find it odd how this game is dismissed every time people say we are not going to get a big leap this gen. that spiderman is the best it could do.

yes, its a different kind of game, but the lighting model needs to be the same. it still needs to render everything other more traditional games do.

Flight Simulator has detailed planes just as Gran Turismo has cars. Most people dismiss the game if they are not into aviation but its crazy what the game achieves. Now, for us that had it on xbox, we are waiting what they will say about all those world updates we downloaded so far, are they there from day one instal. I think my FS takes up 350GB on my XsX. What about airplanes we bought, are they transferrable OR will FS 2020 just turn into FS2024 with one massive update. Because realistically on console game has been put only 2 years. All I can say is Im happy i never upgraded to premium especially after this announcement.

OCASM

Banned
These are all demos and vertical slices compared to what it would take to make a full game. You'll get a sprinkling of games of this visual quality, from IPs from Rockstar, Naughty Dog etc. that sell 20million+ copies and can justify spending much more money and time on pushing this stuff. Or from ultra short, very linear games. But that doesn't mean every studio can justify it.

Many games without "next gen fidelity" are getting 90+mc so developers/creators have found a sweetspot now without increasing the risk of failure by focusing on more fluff that doesn't improve the fundamental game.
Next-gen PS5 games don't require a higher budget than PS4 games. It's just a excuse with nothing to back it up. Look at Horizon FW: the PS5 assets look massively better than those of the PS4 version. Did that require adding an extra 100 million dollars to the budget? Nah.

Some people said it looked better than TLOU2 when it clearly doesn't
Tech wise it is. Environment lighting isn't baked, for starters.

"We don't need a mid-gen refresh" they said....well I sure as hell wanna see this option on Series X it should be a night and day difference bring on the Series Z
They just need to drop the idiotic 4K rendering on Series X.

Horizon doesn't have 10% of the scope of Starfield so your comparing the two is just plain wrong. Horizon takes place on one map while Starfield has multiple worlds to explore and much deeper RPG mechanics. Horizon is also way more linear experience.
At the same time, every world shown in Starfield so far has been a barren wasteland compared to Horizon's.

Go_Ly_Dow

Next-gen PS5 games don't require a higher budget than PS4 games. It's just a excuse with nothing to back it up. Look at Horizon FW: the PS5 assets look massively better than those of the PS4 version. Did that require adding an extra 100 million dollars to the budget? Nah.

Tech wise it is. Environment lighting isn't baked, for starters.

They just need to drop the idiotic 4K rendering on Series X.

At the same time, every world shown in Starfield so far has been a barren wasteland compared to Horizon's.

Horizon had the benefit of being a Sony 1st party title. The benefit of having tech, systems and work carried over from the previous title. Both a solid foundation to pursue higher graphical fidelity.

Also let's be honest, the visuals are a focal point of Horizon and what sells the game and without them the game would probably be a flop. This isn't the case for other franchises. It's the gameplay that sells Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom etc not high fidelity blades of grass.. So not a priority for other franchises that have multiple appealing characteristics. It's hilarious playing the lazy devs card instead of considering these aspects.

So that said, the franchise is afforded the luxury to dedicate a lot more development resources to simply pursue cutting edge graphics, as its the one of the biggest selling points, arguably not story, not characters, not gameplay.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Replays.only i think they said.

CGNoire

They upgraded Senuas face model. More in line with the UE5 tech demo from a couple months back. Looks next gen. Similar to Aloys face model.

Meh.....with all that Depth of Field you cant be certain of much.....I think thats the point. Thats the whole reason they did it like that so we would invite our imaginations to the party obscuring what we know better.

CGNoire

I hear you
uAKAF2V.jpg
I totally get peoples reaction to this exspecially within the context of the "the message" but I cant help but think her look was some what appropriate for the IP's tongue and cheak appoach mixed with the time period she inhabits. Its also important to remember Fable has a character creator. No ones gonna be forced play with this Butterface.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Horizon had the benefit of being a Sony 1st party title. The benefit of having tech, systems and work carried over from the previous title. Both a solid foundation to pursue higher graphical fidelity.

Also let's be honest, the visuals are a focal point of Horizon and what sells the game and without them the game would probably be a flop. This isn't the case for other franchises. It's the gameplay that sells Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom etc not high fidelity blades of grass.. So not a priority for other franchises that have multiple appealing characteristics. It's hilarious playing the lazy devs card instead of considering these aspects.

So that said, the franchise is afforded the luxury to dedicate a lot more development resources to simply pursue cutting edge graphics, as its the one of the biggest selling points, arguably not story, not characters, not gameplay.
Well, no. The gameplay in Horizon crushes Zelda any day of the week, and on a personal level, the Soulsborne combat system is utterly boring outside of boss encounters. Exactly what kind of characters or stories get told I'm either game, BoTW? Both have mute protagonists and borderline irrelevant side characters. The bulk of writing in Elden Ring is dedicated to collectibles that tell vague summaries of events that took place hundreds of years before the present in that game.

No game sells 20 million units solely off of graphics. I don't know why Horizon attracts this kind of criticism, but it's clearly unfounded.

CGNoire

Yep the actuall game footage shown here looks like the BullShots Insominac has been trying to lie to us with.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Soooo:

Fable looks incredible in some parts but also feel "fake", i don't think that it is gonna look that good in the end.

Hb2 looked great, not hard when the game seems extremely small and scripted, it should look even better tbh.

Avowed looked ok i guess, hardly impressive.

I still have to watch starfield presentation but i saw some screen and the characters looks like crap, it can have the best lights in the business but when your models look like that, you are not a nextgen game.

Overall a much better showing than sony but except for starfield, they showed almost zero gameplay, again...

PeteBull

My 2 eurocents about xbox showcase.

Top1 exequo: Flight Sim and Forza6

Top2: Starfield, everything looked amazing except framerate( DF will probably comment on that but to me it was at times definitely below 20fps) and human faces.

Top3: Avoved- big props for showing actual gameplay(unless its doctored, cant be 100% sure till we see game running on our consoles/pc's ofc, but it looked real enough- aka no crazy details in it, looked to me like next gen skyrim). Right at the start of the trailer we had this: In-game footage and cinematics- so again big props for obsidian for clarifing, not many devs are couragoes enough to do it.

Nothing else impressed me coz was either cutscenes( Hellblade2) or cgi(Fable and Clockwork) or not impressive in terms of tech(not saying there werent great games/ great artstyles ofc).

Once again guys- if game is 2 or more years away u cant expect to see highly polished gameplay looking both amazing and fluid, proof is Starfield that launches in under 4 months yet in actual gameplay footage drops fps to below 20.
Plz dont count cgi/cutscenes footage as actual gameplay, only to complain about downgrades in a year, 2 or 3(Clockwork will be probably 2025 earliest).

Hellblade 2 got vague date aka 2024, not even early or summer of 2024 but 2024 which means soonest they think its gonna launch is late 2024.
Now look at hellblade2 trailer from 13th dec 2019

It looked and still looks gorgeous/cgi alike, and we know now game gonna launch earliest late 2024 so 5 years after first trailer, do u believe back in late 2019 devs had game or even snipped of the game looking that good and playable at 30fps stable at least? Answer that to urself, if u said it was target render/cgi, u are right.

now in mid 2023 cutscenes in hellblade 2 look like this(still amazing but ofc cant compare to 2019 cgi trailer obviously, no1 should).

And another ranking for upcoming games( ofc very subjective since im flawed and biased human being ;p):

Top1 Flight Sim/Forza/FF7Rebirth all look top notch to my eyes, cant see any big flaws there, thats how next gen should look like, score wise 10/10.

Top2: Spiderman looks good, runs well too but definitely below whats best of the best, hence 9/10 score.

Top3: Starfield- Sometimes looks comparable to spidey2 but faces look much worse, comparable to last gen actually, and ofc that framerate dips, maybe it still gets fixed, worst case scenario we can play it on high end pc, the footage cant be rated higher than 8,5/10 coz of fps dips and those ugly faces, besides that topnotch tho.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Yep the actuall game footage shown here looks like the BullShots Insominac has been trying to lie to us with.
What? You're seriously bringing up Spider-Man in comparison to Flight Simulator?
SlimySnake SlimySnake knows full well why people ignore Flight Simulator.

By the way, did that Forza footage impress either of you?

FunkMiller

All of these games are going to also run on PCs with lower specs than the Series S.

Which means both Series S and shit PC rigs are ensuring that we're never going to get the kinds of visual fidelity and jumps in gameplay that we would be getting if these games were designed just for Series X and higher end PCs.

This lowest common denominator shit is ruining this generation.

alloush

Just seen the trailers of the most important games announced by XBOX and Fable to me looked the most next-gen out of the bunch. This isn't to say it looks totally mind-blowing (it did in some parts) and totally next-gen because it doesn't, there is something about it that made it look last-gen in some parts, but it was mighty impressive.

Starfield graphically looked ass honestly. Now the game might be massive but graphically speaking it is so last-gen it is weird seeing some people praise it actually, not to mention this game aint my cup of tea anyways.

Forza was nothing special, nothing more to add on it.

Flight Simulator I'd say was another game that looked good, but there is something about it that makes you say "it looks good but it could look better" but then again it is a massive open-world game so for it to even look like that is impressive.

Avowed and Fallout were absolutely crap graphically.

And lastly Hellblade. Looked better than a lot of people are making it out to be but yeah it was downgraded for sure. I think the reason why people aren't really appreciating its graphics is because the bar was hella raised with the previous trailers that anything less was gonna be seen as a downgrade and rightly so. Having said that, the setting of that trailer didn't help it either as it was too dimmed, maybe in a more-lit environment it would look better?

Just my two cents!

Last edited:

alloush

Which means both Series S and shit PC rigs are ensuring that we're never going to get the kinds of visual fidelity and jumps in gameplay that we would be getting if these games were designed just for Series X and higher end PCs.

This lowest common denominator shit is ruining this generation.
Usually I would agree with the lowest common denominator theory but then again we got average-looking PS5 only games from Sony studios which totally debunks this theory... for now.

CGNoire

What? You're seriously bringing up Spider-Man in comparison to Flight Simulator?
SlimySnake SlimySnake knows full well why people ignore Flight Simulator.

By the way, did that Forza footage impress either of you?
I didnt 100% agree with "ever part" of his post but there is no "half thumbs up" option. I do agree with him that the standard in lighting and materials set bye FS should be the bare minimum of lighting and material quality we should be seeing from AAA developers this gen. The bare minimum.

If Forza has RTGI/RTR or both during gameplay then yes. If its just during replays and not gameplay then not really. Its definitely an upgrade over the previous game from last gen so....I guess theres that.

CGNoire

I still have to watch starfield presentation but i saw some screen and the characters looks like crap, it can have the best lights in the business but when your models look like that, you are not a nextgen game.
The one thing I want to see Now more than anything is what "Next Gen" characters look like and aside fromm GG's cross gen game no one is even trying in that department. I dont think Fable is real either so thats not it. I honestly feel the only glimpse we got was the post The Coilition made last year or so showing there model quality for Gears 6.

Here it is.

Last edited:
Fable is still balls deep in production, I expect things like facial animations, and facial IQ will be improved enough by launch. It's also good to see a visually great next-gen game which isn't using UE5.

Top Bottom