• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Musilla

dI53b2e.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dude death stranding 2 characters looks good because it's not in-game mostly pre render cut scenes
death stranding 2 doesnt have pre-rendered cutscenes. its all realtime just like the first game and every single mgs game.

kojima just knows how to do character models. he's always been ahead of the curve.

This is what he was doing on PS3.

1389604604865.gif

PS4
SstrP3r.gif

It's not surprising the PS5 character models look even better.

RvXw9G6.jpg

Luipadre

death stranding 2 doesnt have pre-rendered cutscenes. its all realtime just like the first game and every single mgs game.

kojima just knows how to do character models. he's always been ahead of the curve.

1389604604865.gif

PS4
SstrP3r.gif

RvXw9G6.jpg

I cant fucking wait for DS2. A reason to own a PS5 currently for me. PC version probably only a year or 2 later

SlimySnake

The water tech in this astro bot boss fight is very impressive. shame the rest of the graphics look a gen behind. especially in comparison to horizon legos.

Xtib81

Same, it has basic ass ripples and not much else, or i'm not seeing it.

RDR2 water runs leaps around it physic wise, i mean look at this shit

giphy.gif

I think he is talking about when the octopus does the moses move and separate the sea, cool but it really looks very basic.
Rockstar is gonna show us what 'next gen water' means with gta6.

Cinematics not actual gameplay

1389604604865.gif

PS4
SstrP3r.gif

RvXw9G6.jpg

SlimySnake

Looks even better than the new AssCreed some guys are hyping up here.
Go play it again. I play it on PC maxed out and while Shadows might not look a generation above RDR2, it definitely doesnt look worse.

There is a clear upgrade in lighting, foliage density, and draw distance. Trees also look better though they werent exactly RDR2's strongest suit.

Shadows is looking very soft because its being uploaded to youtube with a very low bitrate while my rdr2 captures are native.

4qyqNEg.gif

0mAdZ1S.gif

fiIaSl0.gif

yVs19rP.gif

AL7KGCz.gif

Last edited:
Cinematics not actual gameplay tha

This is what he was
Put some gameplay models we will talk, see all the characters are pre render not really in-game engine like ubisoft or rockstar game everything in that games are carefully crafted for specific events

1389604604865.gif

PS4
SstrP3r.gif

RvXw9G6.jpg

SlimySnake

That's next gen territory I'm afraid.
Thats too optimistic. 2040 on PS7 maybe when Rockstar releases RDR3. If we manage to survive that long.

AMD is struggling to get their rasterization performance to scale up as they go to smaller nodes. The PS5 Pro is roughly only 1.45x faster in non-RT performance releasing 4 years after the PS5. In comparison, the PS4 Pro GPU released just 3 years after the PS4, and was over 2.5x more powerful. I would be surprised if we get a 30-35 tflops GPU in 2028 from AMD/Sony. At least when looking at the OG tflops, not the bs inflated ones they have been advertising since RDNA3.

i dont think 3x improvement in GPU would get us those visuals. maybe if the devs have some kind of software breakthrough where the finally figure out mesh shaders and improve RT performance in their games two fold.

SlimySnake

its stable 60fps and reswise i think close to 1800p, ofc game cant look like hellblade2 there :)
I said Horizon Legos, not hellblade 2. ;p

Horizon legos is also targeting 60 fps. Its obviously not going to be as high as 1800p, but the image quality is quite good.

there is no reason astrobot devs should be targeting 1800p or native 4k like they did in the original demo. Push the visuals instead of pixels. This is a $60 ps5 game. Not a free pack-in demo.

PeteBull

I said Horizon Legos, not hellblade 2. ;p

Horizon legos is also targeting 60 fps. Its obviously not going to be as high as 1800p, but the image quality is quite good.

there is no reason astrobot devs should be targeting 1800p or native 4k like they did in the original demo. Push the visuals instead of pixels. This is a $60 ps5 game. Not a free pack-in demo.
Lego horizon looks slow af compared to controlled chaos of astrobot tho ;D
Edit: and lastgen, as proven by switch port, astrobot wouldnt even hold 480p on switch if u kept all the current gen pace of the game :D

Last edited:

Lysandros

So PS4 PRO was "×2.3 times more powerful than PS4" because of thy holy teraflops but "PS5 PRO is only 45% more powerful than PS5" because of which (double) standards exactly? Make your mind.

PeteBull

So PS4 PRO was "×2.3 times more powerful than PS4" because of thy holy teraflops but "PS5 PRO is only 45% more powerful than PS5" because of which (double) standards exactly? Make your mind.
Dont look at tflops numbers but how top first party exclusives improved

In case of uncharted 4 u had native 1080p30 bumped up to native 1440p30 , thats obviously not 2,3x improvement since full hd to 1440p is+ 78% of pixel amount only, still ocassional drops below 30fps tho :p

SlimySnake

it was actually more than 2.3x more powerful. 2.3x more tflops plus the 25% IPC gains when going from GCN 1 to Polaris. There is no such IPC gains going from RDNA 2 to RDNA 4, and that 45% figure is coming straight from Sony. You are not stupid enough to fall for the 33 tflops figure Sony will undoubtedly tout in marketing materials, so lets not even go there.

Back then, tflops actually meant something and performance translated roughly equivalent to tflops. Not in all cases since PS4 pro was bottlenecked by the mere 25% increase in bandwidth, but other than that the PS4 pro and X1X performed exactly as their tflops suggested. both in terms of improving from their base x1 and ps4 benchmarks, but also when compared directly to each other with x1x performing equivalent to its tflops in many games thanks to a lack of memory bandwidth bottleneck.

Bottomline is that sony/amd was able to increase actual tflops by just 1.67x after 4 years. When last gen they were already at 2.3x (plus IPC gains) after just 3 years. We are not going to get a 5x tflops increase or 8x raw power increase next gen. For that to happen, we would need 50 tflops (100 rdna 3 tflops) and a 50% boost in IPC gains and thats simply not happening. What we can hope for is IPC gains in ray tracing performance and it seems sony has already improved it by 2-4x, but raw GPU power will not come easy.

xukJly0.jpg

Lego horizon looks slow af compared to controlled chaos of astrobot tho ;D
Edit: and lastgen, as proven by switch port, astrobot wouldnt even hold 480p on switch if u kept all the current gen pace of the game :D
plenty of games have gotten switch ports. Witcher 3, Doom, batman AK, Mortal kombat, Nier, It Takes Two. It means nothing really. The PS5 version of Horizon Legos looks legitimately next gen in comparison to Astrobot and thats all that matters. If it can be downported to the switch then astrobot surely can as well.

PeteBull

The PS5 version of Horizon Legos looks legitimately next gen in comparison to Astrobot and thats all that matters. If it can be downported to the switch then astrobot surely can as well.
I usually agree with ur pov, say 95% of times but here i strongly diseagree, sorry. Astrobot looks next gen gameplay wise, lego horizon looks constrained by last gen(and it obviously is, otherwise switch port wouldnt be done so easily).
Here those games trailers for comparision:

vs

SlimySnake

Dont look at tflops numbers but how top first party exclusives improved

In case of uncharted 4 u had native 1080p30 bumped up to native 1440p30 , thats obviously not 2,3x improvement since full hd to 1440p is+ 78% of pixel amount only, still ocassional drops below 30fps tho :p

I wouldnt really look at ND's PS4 Pro efforts. They had issues with implementing checkerboarding and settled for 1440p instead.

4kcb is 4.1 million pixels or 2x the pixels of 1080p games we saw on the PS4. Checkerboard upscaling has its own cost like DLSS and FSR2, so that 2.3x power plus IPC gains almost translates 1:1 with performance in most Sony games that went from 1080p to 4kcb.

It was not true for all games since PS4 Pro only had a 25% increase in memory bandwidth, and that caused some issues at higher resolutions, but x1x was far better designed and we saw A LOT of native 4k games on the x1x. Some even 4k 60 fps. For example, rdr2 was 900p (1.44 million pixels) on the x1 (1.3 tflops) , and native 4k (8.2 million pixels) on the 6 tflops x1x. An increase of 5.69x. Roughly in line with the 5.75x increase in raw performance (4.6x tflops and 1.25x IPC gains)

ND's PS5 efforts are a much better indication of how tflops and IPC gains correlates to performance. The base 1080p image is now being run at native 4k on the PS5 and averages in the high 40s and low 50s. Thats in line with the near 8x improvement in raw GPU performance.

SlimySnake

I usually agree with ur pov, say 95% of times but here i strongly diseagree, sorry. Astrobot looks next gen gameplay wise, lego horizon looks constrained by last gen(and it obviously is, otherwise switch port wouldnt be done so easily).
Here those games trailers for comparision:

vs

yeah, i was just talking about graphics here. Back when this was revealed, I lamented at how boring and safe Horizon Legos is in terms of gameplay and we just cant seem to get both visual fidelity and good gameplay in games anymore. I would love to see Astro bot at this level of fidelity. Some here even wondered if this was CG.

BgMuo6n.gif

PeteBull

I just go for top visuals in games, uncharted4 was one of best looking games so we are sure it really was using if not 100% then at least close to 100% of what ps4 had to offer, cant do it with fifa games for example :)
Another good example is GoW:R

And again for fairness, native 1080p30 on ps4, on pr0 in resolution mode u got dynamic res 1440p to 1656p- so again in heavy scenes ps4pr0 has to go down to 1440p native aka 78% more pixels from base ps4, and u cant say studio is not talented/didnt put in tremendous amount of resources/work here,

SlimySnake

I just go for top visuals in games, uncharted4 was one of best looking games so we are sure it really was using if not 100% then at least close to 100% of what ps4 had to offer, cant do it with fifa games for example :)
Another good example is GoW:R

And again for fairness, native 1080p30 on ps4, on pr0 in resolution mode u got dynamic res 1440p to 1656p- so again in heavy scenes ps4pr0 has to go down to 1440p native aka 78% more pixels from base ps4, and u cant say studio is not talented/didnt put in tremendous amount of resources/work here,

But the video says that they stay at 1656p most of the time. I wouldnt look at 1% drops to measure GPU performance. We look at averages on the PC side. 1656p is well over 100% more pixels. They couldve done 4kcb just like they did with GOW 2018 but they chose to go with 1656p plus TAAU which has its own cost. Again, it lines up with the 2.3x boost in performance plus some more thanks to the 25% increase in Polaris IPC gains.

The PS5 performance is also increasing roughly 1:1 with the tflops/IPC gains as well. I played the native 4k vrr mode and it was routinely in the 40s going up to 50s indoors just like uncharted 4 and Death Stranding.

if you think these UE5 demos can be done on a 3x more powerful GPU then fine, we will see. If you think AMD/Sony can get us to 50 tflops (100 rdna 4 tflops) then we will see. I just dont know how stuff like this can be achieved with just 3x boost in visuals. Maybe the substantial boost in ray tracing performance can get us there. but you just know devs will be targeting higher resolutions and 60 fps next gen just like they have this gen.

If Ghost of Tsushima 2 can come close to this level of fidelity then maybe next gen sony studios can there. Right now ubisoft and other third party studios havent even come close to this level of photorealism we are seeing in UE5 demos.

PeteBull

If Ghost of Tsushima 2 can come close to this level of fidelity then maybe next gen sony studios can there. Right now ubisoft and other third party studios havent even come close to this level of photorealism we are seeing in UE5 demos.
I wanna see gta6 actual gameplay, if rockstar wizards cant do it, probably noone else can, since this gen first/2nd party devs for the most(only few exceptions) part dropping the ball hard.

SlimySnake

I wanna see gta6 actual gameplay, if rockstar wizards cant do it, probably noone else can, since this gen first/2nd party devs for the most(only few exceptions) part dropping the ball hard.
rockstar is going with an stylized art style so we arent getting these UE5 photorealistic graphics with them until RDR3. Whenever that comes out.

EDIT: Crystal Dynamics's Tomb Raider and Witcher 4 are using UE5 and are A-tier developers. I suppose we should wait to see what they can do and if they can come close to that level of photorealism we are seeing in these UE5 demos.

Last edited:
This bamboo thing is how REAL nextgen should look.

I have no hope for sushima 2 to look this good tbh.

I have high hopes for Tsushima 2 on PS5. Their artists are so good with the colors they use and the foliage/leaves making the world feel alive. Imagine Tsushima with denser geometry and better character models/lighting.

That being said Ghost 2 isnt getting close to these visuals.

Last edited:

alloush

Thats too optimistic. 2040 on PS7 maybe when Rockstar releases RDR3. If we manage to survive that long.

AMD is struggling to get their rasterization performance to scale up as they go to smaller nodes. The PS5 Pro is roughly only 1.45x faster in non-RT performance releasing 4 years after the PS5. In comparison, the PS4 Pro GPU released just 3 years after the PS4, and was over 2.5x more powerful. I would be surprised if we get a 30-35 tflops GPU in 2028 from AMD/Sony. At least when looking at the OG tflops, not the bs inflated ones they have been advertising since RDNA3.

i dont think 3x improvement in GPU would get us those visuals. maybe if the devs have some kind of software breakthrough where the finally figure out mesh shaders and improve RT performance in their games two fold.
Mayne, I was so happy to see that video posted by ResetEra, the visuals are gorgeous. I said to myself these kinda visuals won’t be doable this gen but next gen for sure until I read your post and now I am depressed again!

SlimySnake

From the artist himself.

"Thank you! And at 4k it was running around 2-3 fps on a 3060ti - although it was more like 30-40 fps for 1080p..." (from his artstation)
so i guess its possible on the ps5 at 1080p 30 fps but its just a demo so who knows.

Lets see how Marvel 1943 looks first, because if that can run this gen, next gen should be able to run those visuals. Hellblade 2 already gives me that CGI like look…

alloush

As a guy fascinated by Animations and Physics more than anything else including Graphics it is high time we see huge, astronomical leaps being made in that area. Last time we saw a proper leap being made in this area was back in the PS3 era, being a sports gamer doesn’t help either. It makes me hella pissed that we are not seeing any kinds of improvements, not even an iota being made to Animations and Physics.

Same thing with AI!

Last edited:

kikkis

As a guy fascinated by Animations and Physics more than anything else including Graphics it is high time we see huge, astronomical leaps being made in that area. Last time we saw a proper leap being made in this area was back in the PS3 era, being a sports gamer doesn’t help either. It makes me hella pissed that we are not seeing any kinds of improvements, not even an iota being made to Animations and Physics.

Same thing with AI!
Productivity improvements from ai anims is possible, but in general realistic animations means worse controlling characters.

Top Bottom