• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

I pre-ordered my copy from my local GameStop and the manager didn't even know the game was out today. It was in stock but they had forgotten to put it out. At 5:30pm, I was the first person all day to come in and ask. The other associate that was on-shift knew it was out today, but didn't realize that it hadn't been properly stocked yet since no one else had asked, haha.

I chalk it up more to hardly anyone in this area shops at GameStop anymore. Always seems slow, and having been an assistant store manager in a past life, I see a lot of signs that the store is struggling with customer traffic. Probably not necessarily an indication at all of the game's success, especially considering the area I live in doesn't seem to really be home to a strong gaming base.

In any case, was able to get about 2 hours of play before I had to start my shift at work. I, not surprisingly, like it a lot so far. Just got to the beginning of Chapter 4, still in what essentially amounts to "tutorial" phase of this game, but I feel so endeared to Kat that any shortcomings are kind of just made up for by the fact that I'm playing the new Gravity Rush game. :)

The game does start pretty slow, but the world/writing is so charming that I didn't mind (I'm sure on a replay it would bug the hell out of me though). There's a method to the madness starting you in the dull/poor mining sections before you're let loose.

Because shortly afterwards it gets straight up majestic

sBBN10u.gif

silva1991

The game does start pretty slow, but the world/writing is so charming that I didn't mind. There's a method to the madness starting you in the dull/poor mining sections before you're let loose.

Because shortly afterwards it gets straight up majestic

XsAvsMY.gif

I can't wait for your lunar style gifs.

Eblo

Already hours deep into the game. The intro is not what I expected from a niche game like this. Seems like something a blockbuster title might open with. Not that I'm complaining.

Skrams

So the music and tone in the slums is pretty on point. It's reallyyy good.

In the first game, it was so easy to find all kinds of gems. Challenges also gave you a ton of gems too. They really thought about the distribution because despite this large influx of gems, you still have to think about upgrades and you're never too powerful. Hell, the challenges were stupid hard to gold unless you were keeping up with your upgrades. Here, it's a walk in the park.

I think the difference is that Gravity Rush 1 was a tighter game and smaller. A much smaller area leading to more challenges and gem output. The upgrades in 2 cost a lot more and there's a lot more of them than 1. I haven't really encountered many challenges so far, but the ones I've encountered have been easy. That might be because it's the beginning of the game, but also because you don't need to Max out Kat to feel like you stand a chance of getting a gold.

Is it a downside? Dunno. I'm enjoying the bigger world to fly around in, gem crack, and more side missions. It doesn't feel like the typical "big world, nothing to do sense," to me yet. There's always gems which is my thing to do and the world feels a lot more lively to me than the first.

This also might be them trying to get people to do the mining stuff. Not really sure as I haven't mined once. I doubt anyone wants to go back to mining immediately after that intro.

wapplew

Already hours deep into the game. The intro is not what I expected from a niche game like this. Seems like something a blockbuster title might open with. Not that I'm complaining.

What are you talking about, GR2 is blockbuster ;)

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I tend to enjoy these games more the further in I get. It's an uphill grind in the beginning when you have low HP and attack power. It becomes more fun as you upgrade your character.

Starting off with limited abilities is kind of a drag after playing the original, but all these new little details are giving me the biggest grin right now.

CCIE

Banned
Oh, I definitely will be buying it. But then again my tastes don't seem to follow the typical American gamer, either.

D-Man

Finished the tutorial chapter of the game and I'm enjoying it a lot. It does start a little slow, but that's okay with me because it just feels good to see Kat and Syd again.

Excited to see what this will bring to the table.

Just came to say I'm loving this game so far!
Even talking to the npcs is great. 2hrs in and it flew by.
no pun intended
Couldn't believe how late it had gotten already lol.

Dominator

I sat down to play this at 7:30pm... Its 1am and I just stopped. Didn't even break in between than, I had no idea what time it was.

Spent the last 2 and a half hours give or take collecting gems. Got about 2000 in that span.

EDIT: I think I know why I adore Kat.

She's not exceptional.. she's just very basic. Very relatable and yet weird.

She seems human, with all the flaws and lovely parts. It's really endearing.

cheesekao

Can someone comment on whether or not the time traveller couple from the last game is in this one? I heard someone say that they aren't and I'm a little bummed that we don't get to fully understand what happened to them.

LotusHD

Banned
Lmao for the sidequest of the old guy
that wanted you to get pics of young women for him, I accidentally talked to a little girl. Fortunately she didn't fit his description, but those 1-2 seconds of wondering "What if he's into that..." were slightly intense lol

Hedgey

Has anyone found a warp point on the left side of Jirga Para Lhao where there are a ton of small Islands? I can't find a single one and it's bugging the crap out of me. Sharing a map would probably be the best idea (spoiler tag it)
EDIT: just found one on the bottom left corner by the start of a side mission ;__;

Alucrid

Banned
Has anyone found a warp point on the left side of Jirga Para Lhao where there are a ton of small Islands? I can't find a single one and it's bugging the crap out of me. Sharing a map would probably be the best idea (spoiler tag it)

there is one, i can't do the map yet, but i think it was in the south west area. there's a side quest near that unlocks early-ish on.

This helped sell me

and this

But after yesterday and the constant depressing onslaught of news over in Off-Topic, I think I need a colorful charming game to just chill out, explore, and enjoy some relaxing escapism

So yeah, another on the GR2 train

i think you were looking for environment screenshots? here's four non spoilerly ones early on

https://abload.de/img/gravityrush2_20170120t2kzw.png
https://abload.de/img/gravityrush2_20170120e2jwf.png
https://abload.de/img/gravityrush2_20170120mljq8.png
https://abload.de/img/gravityrush2_201701204lkbl.png

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
i really would love to see what this engine can do for other types of games. any idea what it is? still phyreengine?

also made this

P2iBGjs.gif

Holy hell that's gonna get a lot of use.

I was surprised at how slow the intro was, but the music, characters, and surrealism of being back in the Gravity Rush world were enough to keep me having fun.

Anyway, minor spoiler for not that far in:
I'm kinda confused on how seriously they want me to take these class issue themes when one of the elites says something as goofy as "Exactly, darling. I've raised such a wonderfully discriminating girl." It's a funny line, but the game feels like it's zapping between being serious with the slums below and being facetious with the rich folk.

silva1991

i really would love to see what this engine can do for other types of games. any idea what it is? still phyreengine?

also made this

P2iBGjs.gif

I just want most non AAA JRPGs to like like GR2. Is is too much to ask for? :(

Also great gif

I don't know why, but it reminded me of this lol

detectivelatoy_zpsad43b1fb.gif~c200

Teggy

Just came to share my new avatar ;)

Is there a comic or anime that tells what happened before the start of the game? They sure do gloss over that part.

LotusHD

Banned
EDIT: I think I know why I adore Kat.

She's not exceptional.. she's just very basic. Very relatable and yet weird.

She seems human, with all the flaws and lovely parts. It's really endearing.

This is exactly it. For all her powers, she's pretty damn normal, to the point where you often forget that she's amnesiac. And of course, she's just a delight to be around. I also love how despite her essentially being a doormat due to her inexplicable need to help out virtually everyone, she still has a bunch of internal snark wondering why she does the things she does, or recognizing that the people she meets are very odd.

I just love how both games clearly have this big story they want to tell you, but they make time to humanize her as much as possible. So when I have quests telling me to go hunt down some ducks, or deliver newspapers, I have little to no issue with it, because it's just presented in such a upbeat way. When you get to the point where you're like "Yea, Kat would so do this", that's when you know you have a good character on your hands.

Top Bottom