• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

LotusHD

Banned
This might be hyperbole, but I'd put this up with Witcher 3 as a game where the side missions tend to follow certain structures but feel fresh and varied thanks to the stories told.

You know what, it's fine? I completely get that comparison. Witcher 3 has that AAA polish and feels more epic or ripe with plot twists with many of its sidequests, so it's so easy to say that Witcher 3 is unsurpassed in that regard. But damn it, Gravity Rush 2 got its own thing going too, and I love it. The sidequests even let you reconnect with random characters you thought you'd never see again, and goes out of its way to try and have unique scenarios for each quest, as well as test multiple ways for you to use your powers.

Oh, any Superman game needs to look at this game and slavishly copy it. Nothing else has nailed the feeling of flight like this has

This series has made me realize that the key to making open world games infinitely more fun is to figure out the traversal. You make these huge ass worlds, yet it's so difficult to be bothered to want to explore them. Not every game can dole out gravity powers of course (especially the more grounded ones), but seriously, developers need to look at Gravity Rush 2 and take that shit to heart when creating future games. Because I'd be willing to bet that open world fatigue wouldn't be so prominent among so many gamers if they had an efficient way to travel.

Kaelan

We need a spoilers thread man, after the credits
this part is fucking INSNAE. like what is even going on? I'm in some time loop type of shit. Holy shit..

Sayers

Yaaaasssss, I see you've also unlocked this tech

Gravity Kick canceling lets you so some really wacky things with how momentum is conserved on that first jump when you hit the ground or a wall. You get a new set of floaty jump animations almost like you're bouncing off whatever you landed on. Looks and feels great

YbpoVQA.gif

3MH72SQ.gif

iEDDxYP.gif

Any tips on how to pull off these moves? I've been playing around trying to do some of this stuff and I'm not getting it.

This series has made me realize that the key to making open world games infinitely more fun is to figure out the traversal. You make these huge ass worlds, yet it's so difficult to be bothered to want to explore them. Not every game can dole out gravity powers of course (especially the more grounded ones), but seriously, developers need to look at Gravity Rush 2 and take that shit to heart when creating future games. Because I'd be willing to bet that open world fatigue wouldn't be so prominent among so many gamers if they had an efficient way to travel.
Truth.

It is about making me want to traverse and explore because of the traversal system. GR easily has one of the best traversal systems in gaming.

I have finally continued it this evening. Played like 2 and an half hours and i think all i did was a side mission, a challenge and for the rest i just messed around with the camera mode and collected gems lol.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
This might be hyperbole, but I'd put this up with Witcher 3 as a game where the side missions tend to follow certain structures but feel fresh and varied thanks to the stories told.
Not hyperbole. I love the side missions in this game. The Yakuza games also did this kind of side missions way before Witcher 3. :p

Is that a wall jump? How do you do that?

There are 2 wall jumps. One to help you get up to a ledge you can't reach and one which is diagonal like you see me doing in those gifs. All you have to do is press jump right as you come in contact with a wall WHILE NOT shifting.

I didn't even know you could do it until someone posted videos of Lunar dive wall jumps in the demo thread. I can't wait to try that, but I still haven't unlcked the new styles because I'm being distracted by the traversal, collecting gems, and taking pictures.

Any tips on how to pull off these moves? I've been playing around trying to do some of this stuff and I'm not getting it.

Watch how Kat's colors change in the clips. You have to Gravity Kick and cancel it (with L1) rapidly. Then when you hit the ground or a wall you jump immediately. Sometimes you'll get a flip, sometimes it'll be a really strange looking floaty jump where Kat leans in a direction she shouldn't be.

Not hyperbole. I love the side missions in this game. The Yakuza games also did this kind of side missions way before Witcher 3. :p
I can't think of another series where I was so meh on the first game and just completely love the sequel. GR1 didn't click with me, but I am having a blast with this. Every issue I had with the first has been improved upon. The combat is great. The world is a joy to explore. The pacing and missions are better.

LotusHD

Banned
Truth.

It is about making me want to traverse and explore because of the traversal system. GR easily has one of the best traversal systems in gaming.

Completely agree.

It's just so refreshing to play a game where I actually want to do every single sidequest in this game. I would've done the same for Witcher 3... but that game has far too many lmao

Coming off of FFXV, it's just a completely superior experience in this regard. If only this came out in 2016, it would've easily been my GOTY. Now it has to compete with Nier, Persona 5, and BotW...

Some give costumes, talismans, upgrade your health/gravity powers, photo items/gestures

Notably I realized this is the way to upgrade your health/gravity bars. In the first game, spending gems to fix broken parts of the city would raise your reputation, and then you'd be able to spend gems to do it. Now with the introduction of actual side missions, this is how you're able to fall for longer and increase your health bar. I thought that was a very clever addition and lets you spend your gems purely on offensive moves and evasion rather than on pure stat increases.

LotusHD

Banned
The manholes feel like a complete waste. Why would I ever fast-travel in this game? Now that's an impressive feat for an open world game

Lmao right?

They're usually too far for me to even bother anyways, so I just end up saying screw it, I'll fly. The best part is when the place you have to go is below you; I love being able to just jump off of practically anywhere and plummet to my destination.

The manholes feel like a complete waste. Why would I ever fast-travel in this game? Now that's an impressive feat for an open world game
I guess the option is there for those who do want to just quickly get from point A to point B but I'm sure as heck not using it lol.

An open world game that makes you not want to fast travel. What a time to be alive.

Wagram

I kind of feel like they could have made this two games and fans wouldn't have even batted an eye. I'm 30 hours in with only 60% of the story done.

Milijango

Any impressions from total newcomers to Gravity Rush? Curious how the controls, missions, and world of GR2 feel to someone who doesn't have the direct point of comparison.

honestly ever since i finished the lame ass tutorial section which dragged on for much longer than I'd like and got to the city, i haven't even actually done any quests, i've just been fucking around. its so much fun to just move around in the world.

silva1991

I guess the option is there for those who do want to just quickly get from point A to point B but I'm sure as heck not using it lol.

An open world game that makes you not want to fast travel. What a time to be alive.

I love flying in this game, but sometimes the next stop is way too far away and I rather just use manholes. I used them like 20 times at least.

Load times for GR2 feel like a god sent after FFXV.

I kind of feel like they could have made this two games and fans wouldn't have even batted an eye. I'm 30 hours in with only 60% of the story done.

... the 3rd game wouldn't exist because they probably won't greenlight a sequel so might as well cram everything into one.

😔

honestly ever since i finished the lame ass tutorial section which dragged on for much longer than I'd like and got to the city, i haven't even actually done any quests, i've just been fucking around. its so much fun to just move around in the world.
While I do feel the first chapter was a bit long, it's pretty clear from the reactions that they made the right choice

And I find it odd why people find it so boring. The story is interesting and the different areas are really cool.

Truth. I made it past mission 12 (been playing almost non-stop since Fri night) doing every sidequest along the way, and I feel like I have already gotten a complete game's worth of game already. And then what happens next, I was not prepared for.

LotusHD

Banned

Lol perhaps. I'm 53 hours in (Although shave some off because I left the game on), and apparently I'm only 45% done.

While I do feel the first chapter was a bit long, it's pretty clear from the reactions that they made the right choice

And I find it odd why people find it so boring. The story is interesting and the different areas are really cool.

Yea, I found it just fine. The whole point of it is not just to make sure you know the basics, but introduce you to the people of Banga, since you're going to spending a lot of time with them after all.
The fight against Fi was also pretty cool imo

I've been loving it so far, aside from the usual control annoyances that were present in the first game.

Man this game is much longer than I thought. I've played it 16 hours and it through 10 story missions and 20+ side mission. And I'm only halfway done! I haven't even bothered with the challenges yet. So much bigger than the first game. I guess I could have done all story missions but I never was sure if side missions would go away and though they can be tedious at times I think the side missions helps flush things out in the world.

Weiss

Banned
I'm at Chapter 12. How much longer do I have?

I can't believe how huge this game is. It seriously is Gravity Rush 2 and 3.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at Chapter 12. How much longer do I have?

I can't believe how huge this game is. It seriously is Gravity Rush 2 and 3.

You're not even halfway. You can check how far through the story you are on the statistics screen.

Is there a canon reason why she's never injured from her falls? I forget.
The only semblance of pain she takes from the crazy falls is a simple oww.
Eitherway, I'm just gonna chalk it up to gravity powers. Seems to be superhero troupe that if you get superpowers, you have some form of being indestructible or ability to recover from wounds.

Probably been answered before but after mission 11(+)
I don't lose any side content right? They didn't pull anything like that in the first game or in this game up to this point, but I'm fairly certain I had both a side mission and challenge on the island that got eaten and it had me a little worried.

Milijango

Introducing gravity shifting via QTE was a terrible idea but otherwise I think the game opens well.

Probably helps that I started Gravity Rush 2 the day after finishing the original. The writing here is a lot more relatable than the first game's opening of "I saved a kid from getting sucked into the cosmos but now they think I destroyed their house."

I also feel like I learned more about Syd in the first chapter of GR2 than I did in all of GR1.

I'm still in like Episode 4 after 15 hours, what the hell. You'd think after I wasted so much time with GR1 already I'd be tired of launching myself everywhere aimlessly. This series gives me the kind of pure mechanic satisfaction and freedom to go crazy with it i haven't felt since Skate 1 and 2.

<333333

Sounds like they Okami'd this game as well, putting in Gravity Rush 2, 3, and 4 because they knew this was it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh my god Jupiter Style is even cooler than Lunar

I usually hate the big lumbering styles in pretty much anything. But man Jupiter is fantastic. Well it's not quite lumbering...but slower and more powerful. But man! MAN! It's a pure blast.

LotusHD

Banned
Is there a canon reason why she's never injured from her falls? I forget.

Probably Dusty protecting her somehow. Just like how he teleports her sometimes when things get really bad.

Speaking of which, why does Dusty not let us use that power more often? Raven gets to use it all the time... :(

Though I guess Wormhole Kick is the answer to that question lmao

I just finished Episode 13... What a surprise...

339.png

This is what gets me. I'm already loving the game immensely so far, and I'm not even halfway done. And yet y'all tell me shit gets even crazier from here?

This game...

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Probably been answered before but after mission 11(+)
I don't lose any side content right? They didn't pull anything like that in the first game or in this game up to this point, but I'm fairly certain I had both a side mission and challenge on the island that got eaten and it had me a little worried.

The council building (where Cecie and Syd were being held) is gone for good, but to get one of the photos you need for a collection that's on that island you can just replay an old mission so there's nothing to worry about there. There are no side missions or challenges on that island.
The theatre and the one mansion that get eaten by the boss aren't gone at all, they just come back as if nothing happened.

Traversal really is a big deal. This comment though reminds me of Infamous Second Son, which absolutely nailed the hell out of fun ways to get around the city...but then botched it by filling the city with shitty copy and pasted little missions that gave basically no incentive to explore the city with those neat traversals. You've got to get the traversal right, but you do need to add some interesting things to make that traversal worth doing. Great stories, interesting sights, both of those are needed as well.

silva1991

While I'm waiting and downloading the Ni Oh demo again, I tried to be as sylish as net and Inaba, but just couldn't :/ you guys are just too good.

Oh my god Jupiter Style is even cooler than Lunar

P2iBGjs.gif

/s

It's useful in combat, but Lunar is way more fun for me.

Drewfonse

Any impressions from total newcomers to Gravity Rush? Curious how the controls, missions, and world of GR2 feel to someone who doesn't have the direct point of comparison.

I'm completely new to this series, and I'm loving GR2. I just love the design of the game, and for some reason the controls have clicked for me after not clicking at all with the demo. I'm greatly enjoying the story, and overall world vibe. And I'm someone who generally doesn't like open world games anymore. I agree with the above poster who credited the traversal system with helping the game not fall into the same trap as most open world games do. It's a revelation. Beautiful game, too.

LotusHD

Banned
Traversal really is a big deal. This comment though reminds me of Infamous Second Son, which absolutely nailed the hell out of fun ways to get around the city...but then botched it by filling the city with shitty copy and pasted little missions that gave basically no incentive to explore the city with those neat traversals. You've got to get the traversal right, but you do need to add some interesting things to make that traversal worth doing. Great stories, interesting sights, both of those are needed as well.

Agreed. It's about balancing the two in order to make a great, memorable game.

While I'm waiting and downloading the Ni Oh demo again, I tried to be as sylish as net and Inaba, but just couldn't :/ you guys are just too good.

P2iBGjs.gif

/s

It's useful in combat, but Lunar is way more fun for me.

I have yet to obtain Jupiter mode, but I always thought that that would be the clear winner in terms of which mode I used more. That whole Surge Kick is too awesome. But then once I got to try out Lunar mode in the full game, shit just blew me away. It'll be hard deciding it seems.

Top Bottom