• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Traversal really is a big deal. This comment though reminds me of Infamous Second Son, which absolutely nailed the hell out of fun ways to get around the city...but then botched it by filling the city with shitty copy and pasted little missions that gave basically no incentive to explore the city with those neat traversals. You've got to get the traversal right, but you do need to add some interesting things to make that traversal worth doing. Great stories, interesting sights, both of those are needed as well.

Part of the problem with Second Son in its traversal design is "traversal is fun but too simple". It's not mechanically engaging. Really cool to look at but it does feel boring after a while.

The very simple fact that that traversal in GR needs mastery of the R1 button and the levels take advantage of your finesse when needing to collect crystals make it so much more fun even 10-20 hours in.

I can't think of another series where I was so meh on the first game and just completely love the sequel. GR1 didn't click with me, but I am having a blast with this. Every issue I had with the first has been improved upon. The combat is great. The world is a joy to explore. The pacing and missions are better.

This is heartening to read as I have had the first one on Ps4 for a fair amount of time now and Im just not compelled to play it very much. I feel like I'm just going from checkpoint to checkpoint.

I was holding off on this one so I could one day finish the first... But that's not looking likely.

Some of y'all thought they were playing when they said this is 20-40 hours long? lol

Any impressions from total newcomers to Gravity Rush? Curious how the controls, missions, and world of GR2 feel to someone who doesn't have the direct point of comparison.
I got someone to buy the game on another forum I frequent and he is in love with it. He was hesitant somewhat initially but periodic gif posting up to launch kept him in. He says this is the first game in a long time that just makes him feel pure joy and happiness. The gravity shifting is a hit for him.

The council building (where Cecie and Syd were being held) is gone for good, but to get one of the photos you need for a collection that's on that island you can just replay an old mission so there's nothing to worry about there. There are no side missions or challenges on that island.
The theatre and the one mansion that get eaten by the boss aren't gone at all, they just come back as if nothing happened.

Do I get the option to replay specific missions after I beat the game then?

This is heartening to read as I have had the first one on Ps4 for a fair amount of time now and Im just not compelled to play it very much. I feel like I'm just going from checkpoint to checkpoint.

I was holding off on this one so I could one day finish the first... But that's not looking likely.

I would say that on paper , GR2 is an iterative sequel where every component of the game feels like a +1 or +2 improvement but the sum of its parts is greater. The lush worlds, tighter writing, better fleshed out characters all add up to make the side missions, which remain at its core simple or nothing special design wise, a lot more memorable and immersive.

Part of the problem with Second Son in its traversal design is "traversal is fun but too simple". It's not mechanically engaging. Really cool to look at but it does feel boring after a while.

The very simple fact that that traversal in GR needs mastery of the R1 button and the levels take advantage of your finesse when needing to collect crystals make it so much more fun even 10-20 hours in.
That's true, it certainly was very simplistic. I do feel like part of the lack of engaging mechanics can be traced back a link with the stilted world and mission design. The novelty of the powers, whatever they might be, quickly wears off because there's basically nothing unique to do with them. I think there was theoretically enough in the powers they gave us that they could have made for something unique and engaging, but everything outside of the basic process of moving from A to B felt incredibly boring.

Some of y'all thought they were playing when they said this is 20-40 hours long? lol

I got someone to buy the game on another forum I frequent and he is in love with it. He was hesitant somewhat initially but periodic gif posting up to launch kept him in. He says this is the first game in a long time that just makes him feel pure joy and happiness. The gravity shifting is a hit for him.
That's another factor. I bought this on Friday. Seriously needed something fun, charming, and colorful for some escapism.

LotusHD

Banned
He says this is the first game in a long time that just makes him feel pure joy and happiness. The gravity shifting is a hit for him.

At the end of the day, this is what I love most about this game. It just puts a smile on my face, it's as simple as that. Even the other games that I've played that are widely believed to be great rarely ever get me to feel genuinely happy. Maybe a sense of "Oh, this shit is epic, or really cool or awe-inspiring", but not the pure unadultered joy I get from playing Graviy Rush. There's so many reasons for that I suppose (the music, Kat as a character, the ability to "fly", etc.), but yea, the whole package of it all just an utter delight lol

silva1991

Agreed. It's about balancing the two in order to make a great, memorable game.

I have yet to obtain Jupiter mode, but I always thought that that would be the clear winner in terms of which mode I used more. That whole Surge Kick is too awesome. But then once I got to try out Lunar mode in the full game, shit just blew me away. It'll be hard deciding it seems.

That's the only great thing about it aside from smashing the enemies while sliding and blocking :p

Best thing about this game is air traversing and Jupiter mode doesn't add anything to that compared to Lunar -__-

Any of the big youtubers doing a playthrough of it? Also don't forget to recommend this game to your friends when you get the chance.

Don't think so :(

they are likely just waiting for the big one RE7 followed by KH 2.8 and maybe Yakuza 0.

The basic Gravity Shifting alone was complex and interesting enough to keep me enthralled all the way through the first game (and the first few hours of the sequel, for that matter). But now that they've built on top of it with the Lunar and Jupiter styles? It's pure bliss. I'm constantly switching styles, Shifting, Sliding and Rocket Jumping whenever I get the chance. There is so much cool stuff to do, and the joy of building up your skills so you can get where you want to go faster and more elegantly puts this game right up there with something like Spider-Man 2.

For instance, if you just want to get straight up into the air, the most basic technique is to hit R1 to float, point your camera up in the air, and hit R1 again to fall up. But with Lunar Style you might also want to use your charge jump. But if you really want to get up there fast, you might Gravity Shift straight at the side of the nearest building, then Rocket Jump 'along' it, straight up into the air. But if you really want to motor, you can Lunar Gravity Slide straight into a building, which makes Kat automatically start Sliding straight up, then Rocket Jump straight out of the Slide, which will get you miles into the sky in like half a second.

LotusHD

Banned
That's the only great thing about it aside from smashing the enemies while sliding and blocking :p

Best thing about this game is air traversing and Jupiter mode doesn't add anything to that compared to Lunar -__-

Good point lol

--

Another thing I like about this game is that you can interact with the people in it, something I feel we've been taking for granted. Because maybe it's just me, but it feels like that doesn't happen nearly as often nowadays. Every time I finish a mission, I love seeing how the people react to recent events; what they have to say about it all. Or in general, I just want to know if they're going to say something amusing lol

In a way, it's technically pointless, which is perhaps why nowadays games don't bother with it, but I really appreciate it. The only other game I've recently played that still does it is Pokemon, and hopefully Zelda will continue that trend as well.

wapplew

While I'm waiting and downloading the Ni Oh demo again, I tried to be as sylish as net and Inaba, but just couldn't :/ you guys are just too good.

I downloaded Nioh wanted to get the mask but keep coming back to Gravity Rush 2. Being in the world alone is pure joy.

While I'm waiting and downloading the Ni Oh demo again, I tried to be as sylish as net and Inaba, but just couldn't :/ you guys are just too good.

Keep practicing, it's actually really simple once you get used to using R1 as an adjustment button, not a launcher, and using L1 to get Kat to spin after Gravity Kicks.

R1 = Buffer, course correct, brake

Gravity Kick = Instant acceleration

Gravity Kick --> R1 --> X = Instant acceleration into dive. Press this combination quickly to boost directly into gravity shifting. No start up like when you boost (X) alone.

L1 = Freefall

On ground R1 --> Gravity Kick --> L1 = Quick momentum jolt that usually sends Kat into spins, flips, or a pole vault style launch. This is how I get up to any platform that's slightly out of reach of a normal jump.

In air R1 --> Gravity Kick --> L1 = Momentum jolt freefall. This is what I'm doing in those gifs above. Jump immediately when you hit the ground after this for a strange floaty jump or flip.

I'm pretty sure Jupiter makes you Gravity Shift much faster than the other styles. I tend to switch to Jupiter when I just want to rocket between islands as fast as possible, but its very difficult to do any careful manoeuvres because Kat drifts so much when you try and change directions and I you've got no left-stick control.

That's another factor. I bought this on Friday. Seriously needed something fun, charming, and colorful for some escapism.
At the end of the day, this is what I love most about this game. It just puts a smile on my face, it's as simple as that. Even the other games that I've played that are widely believed to be great rarely ever get me to feel genuinely happy. Maybe a sense of "Oh, this shit is epic, or really cool or awe-inspiring", but not the pure unadultered joy I get from playing Graviy Rush. There's so many reasons for that I suppose (the music, Kat as a character, the ability to "fly", etc.), but yea, the whole package of it all just an utter delight lol
Absolutely.

I was thinking Jupiter Style could have received huge leaps (think of Superman in Man of Steel when he was practicing with his flying).

Just T

Ah man, fuck episode 11, that did not go well for the most part. Getting stuck in walls and somehow skipped the double surge kick and ended up in light. End scenes were dope though, chapter 3 about to be great.

LotusHD

Banned
Please tell me the
Kali Angel
costume is unlockable. Pls.

It is. Don't know how to get it yet though.

--

Oh, there's one thing that's been bugging me, likely because I wasn't paying attention.

Start of Chapter (not mission) 2 spoilers:

Why did the people of Banga move exactly? Like I noticed we've been chilling in the city for awhile now lol

tdwig

Neo Member
Some of the hints people give for these treasure hunts are completely useless. I got a close up picture of the chest making it impossible to find.

Please tell me the
Kali Angel
costume is unlockable. Pls.

You get it later in a side-quest.

After playing around with Lunar, Jupiter and normal, I think they did a great job at balancing the three and making them all useful in different situations. Even travelling now is more interesting in that I use Jupiter to jump from one location to the next and then lunar to navigate any buildings while shifting. It's a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
The traffic cone is a really weird choice of reward for 1000 dusty tokens. Like it's just a regular cone. Nothing special about it at all.

Jocund

It is. Don't know how to get it yet though.

--

Oh, there's one thing that's been bugging me, likely because I wasn't paying attention.

Why did the people of Banga move exactly? Like I noticed we've been chilling in the city for awhile now lol

I have no idea, lol.
It took me a couple missions to realize it was ALL of Banga that relocated after the Storm. Before I thought it was just Lisa and the gang. It's kind of cool though, like every settlement in GR's universe is highly mobile, like the colony ships in Battlestar Galactica.

LotusHD

Banned
Really? I hated it at first. Now I tolerate it. It's useful in certain situations for sure, but I couldn't play like that all the time.

Well of course, you're not supposed to play in that mode all the time. Especially since it makes you slower when traveling from place to place. It's just that when you're in combat, it has so many moments where it's clearly superior to playing in your regular gravity form. And then by itself, it's just cool to move around in that form from time to time.

----

Found my new favorite sidequest, and this one was Lunar mode focused.
Raven is scary as fuck.

Toki767

I've done about 21 or so side missions but I'm getting kind of impatient about wanting to finish the story. I'm only on Chapter 11 too.

I'm pretty sure the Banga settlement has no fixed position per se; they seemed to be moving it as needed as they mined. It was time for resupply, and I guess it was easier to resupply the settlement if the entire settlement were literally attached to the market. Then, of course, stuff keeps happening to lengthen their stay.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Banga settlement has no fixed position per se; they seemed to be moving it as needed as they mined. It was time for resupply, and I guess it was easier to resupply the settlement if the entire settlement were literally attached to the market. Then, of course, stuff keeps happening to lengthen their stay.

Ah, that makes sense.

I have no idea, lol.
It took me a couple missions to realize it was ALL of Banga that relocated after the Storm. Before I thought it was just Lisa and the gang. It's kind of cool though, like every settlement in GR's universe is highly mobile, like the colony ships in Battlestar Galactica.

Yea, I eventually realized that once I noticed that some of the information icons had people that kept mentioning Lisa and what not.
You mean because it homes-in on those asshole dragonfly Nevi that usually dodge when you try to gravity kick them? Fuck those guys.

Well yea, those too. But like, the stasis field for example, is a game changer in Lunar mode. So much easier to defeat people and Nevis with it. And then in general, I just like how it has homing for basically everything.

This game makes me feel so fuzzy inside guys goddamn

Same!

New enemy type, guys:

C21Q2QUXAAIHzZj.jpg

Fear the bucket nevi.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Really? I hated it at first. Now I tolerate it. It's useful in certain situations for sure, but I couldn't play like that all the time.

Yeah. I feel like it's more sluggish than Jupiter. It's way too floaty, but the warp strikes don't work that well IMO.

Top Bottom