• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

McFadge

You are not flying in this game, you're "falling".

This-Isnt-Flying-This-Is-Falling-With-Style-Quote-Gif-In-Toy-Story.gif

What made me laugh was when I saw a post saying the game should've been cheaper. On what grounds lmao

The game almost feel like 2 games pasted together. It has a considerable amount of content with a very lenghty campaign.

How gamers can perceive sometthing like Infamous: Second Son, which is like half the length of this as full price and not this is beyond me.

Net_Wrecker is flying.

Everyone else is falling.

Why I want to travel with gravity kicks, when I can rocket jump my way into things?.

Faster? Nope.

Much cooler? Yes.

LordPusha

Well, I can only hope that we're going to get a Gravity Rush 3 on PS5. The market doesn't deserve it, unless the next protag will have guns and a more realistic style.

LotusHD

Banned
The game almost feel like 2 games pasted together. It has a considerable amount of content with a very lenghty campaign.

How gamers can perceive sometthing like Infamous: Second Son, which is like half the length of this as full price and not this is beyond me.

Right, like I mean, I'm definitely taking my time, yet I'm somehow already 40+ hours in, and the game says that despite me doing all the sidequests, I'm only about 50% done with the game...

Well, I can only hope that we're going to get a Gravity Rush 3 on PS5. The market doesn't deserve it, unless the next protag will have guns and a more realistic style.

I recall one cutscene where I saw Kat get to shoot a flare gun. For a brief moment I thought to myself, "This right here is what the mainstream audience wants..."

PaulloDEC

Can I take a moment to say how much I love the "finisher" sequences in this game? They're always so beautifully choreographed/animated and shot with terrific effects work.

finisherdrys9.gif

(I figured this was safe enough to post, but if anyone thinks I'm spoiling stuff let me know and I'll edit).

And while I'm on the subject, that finisher theme.

LotusHD

Banned
Can I take a moment to say how much I love the "finisher" sequences in this game? They're always so beautifully choreographed/animated and shot with terrific effects work.

finisherdrys9.gif

(I figured this was safe enough to post, but if anyone thinks I'm spoiling stuff let me know and I'll edit).

And while I'm on the subject, that finisher theme.

Yea, it really adds to the whole spectacle. And they only get flashier lol

maouvin

Woke up to see that the tanktop/shorts were unlocked. Still a long way to unlock everything, but many thanks to all of the Shorts Army. Let's keep it up :)

PaulloDEC

Yea, it really adds to the whole spectacle. And they only get flashier lol

There's some pretty amazing ones in there. The final one is really something.

I also noticed in the credits that the cinematics were done by the same studio that did the "Gravity Rush: Overture" anime project, which I thought was interesting.

Milijango

There's some pretty amazing ones in there. The final one is really something.

I also noticed in the credits that the cinematics were done by the same studio that did the "Gravity Rush: Overture" anime project, which I thought was interesting.

Nice. That's Studio Khara, who worked on Evangelion Rebuild (and is descended from the studio that made the original Evangelion), Ponyo, Wolf Children, and The Wind Rises.

No big deal, everything's clashing in Q1 2017 anyway. Savour all of it!

Yeah, it's a bloody busy period. I'm playing Bloodborne, and then I'll move on to Gravity Rush 2, and then I'll probably go straight to Horizon (maybe with a small game in between as a palette cleanser) and then I'll focus properly on Nioh. And on top of all that, I'm tempted to pick up Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata as well!

LotusHD

Banned
Woke up to see that the tanktop/shorts were unlocked. Still a long way to unlock everything, but many thanks to all of the Shorts Army. Let's keep it up :)

I got mine yesterday! Thanks shorts army! Next step, outfit 1.0, then the world mouahahahaha!!!!

I will probably end up betraying you all in support of my likely future allegiance to the Kali Army. Just thought I'd let y'all know in advance lol, we'll see.

Yeah, it's a bloody busy period. I'm playing Bloodborne, and then I'll move on to Gravity Rush 2, and then I'll probably go straight to Horizon (maybe with a small game in between as a palette cleanser) and then I'll focus properly on Nioh. And on top of all that, I'm tempted to pick up Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata as well!

inb4 someone makes a "Nier Automata: You're buying it right?" thread

Jesus christ at this photo taking stealth subquest. The place is completely covered with soldiers, there is no safe route, and the only way I'm getting through this is that this is the stupidest AI I've ever experienced (they're blind and forget everything as soon as you move a bit away).

LotusHD

Banned
There's definitely too many stealth quests in this game, but so far, honestly none of them have been that annoying to me. (Although apparently there's one I have yet to do that may make me regret saying this) The only one that came close to bugging me technically wasn't even the typical stealth sidequest, and it was only frustrating because I was accidentally doing it wrong the entire time lol

E-flux

Probably should have bought the game online since i ended up paying 75€ for it, but now i can at least get to play it as soon as i get home from work.

Jesus christ at this photo taking stealth subquest. The place is completely covered with soldiers, there is no safe route, and the only way I'm getting through this is that this is the stupidest AI I've ever experienced (they're blind and forget everything as soon as you move a bit away).
There is actually a safe route, but I had to look it up on YouTube.

I'm sort of confused by the mining sites thing. I don't understand the stats screen for them, what I get by killing the big flying navis, and what the purpose is other than getting small amounts of currency from the ore deposits or whatever.

Am I missing something? Also why do half of the items under announcements not have anything, yet there are things that fit those categories under All Announcements?

Ferr986

There's definitely too many stealth quests in this game, but so far, honestly none of them have been that annoying to me. (Although apparently there's one I have yet to do that may make me regret saying this) The only one that came close to bugging me technically wasn't even the typical stealth sidequest, and it was only frustrating because I was accidentally doing it wrong the entire time lol

My problem is that I absolutely hate stealth with passion, even if it's easy, so it's kind of a bummer that it's here too. I wonder why japanese devs put so much of this in their games, FFXV also had it.

I'm sort of confused by the mining sites thing. I don't understand the stats screen for them, what I get by killing the big flying navis, and what the purpose is other than getting small amounts of currency from the ore deposits or whatever.

Am I missing something? Also why do half of the items under announcements not have anything, yet there are things that fit those categories under All Announcements?

Yeah I dunno, I did some minning areas but it didn't seem worth. It was always standard enemies and you don't really get much gems/useful talismans. I didn't even see any giant nevi yet lol

I don't mind stealth, but don't put stealth if the mechanics are not made to support it in the first place. That's how we end up with this...

LotusHD

Banned
I don't mind stealth, but don't put stealth if the mechanics are not made to support it in the first place. That's how we end up with this...

It's funny, because the game's mechanics leave it poised to tackle stealth in unique ways. But then they have to be fucks and have all these people patrolling the skies and under the buildings as well, they went overboard lol

Well I 'finished the game', which is to say I saw the credits, but it seems like the game's nowhere near actually being done. I absolutely adore what I've seen so far, though. I've always loved games with interesting traversal mechanics, like Spider-Man 2, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Just Cause or the Infamous series. Give me a big open world and a fun way of getting around it and I'll keep coming back for years and years. The first Gravity Rush earnt its place on that list with the wonderful Gravity Shifting and Sliding, but after playing GR2 I honestly don't know if I could go back. Traversal in Gravity Rush 2 is just utterly glorious.

And this story? This is what I love in my video games, this very Japanese constantly escalating hype crescendo that never ends. Spoilers for up to Mission 20, I think it was?

TETSUOOOOOO! I'm sad to see Kali Angel go out that way, since she was such a great antagonist and I loved fighting her. That girl hits like a goddamn freight train; the first time I fought her I was just wondering whether it was actually possible to beat her at all when Raven popped out of the Gravity wormhole thing and joined me for a Dante/Vergil vs. Arkham co-op fight. And once it Cecie/Durga found her way into the mix? Forget about it. There's nothing I love more than sick-ass bossfights, and this game was just full of them.

So, obviously I have to keep playing to see what's in store for me next. This game is almost giving me an Okami feel. It just keeps going, and I can't wait to see what comes next. I have a few complaints here and there, like the occasionally irritating stealth missions and the slow opening, but overall nothing's come even remotely close to spoiling my fun here.

anddo0

I'm still early in the game.
when do we get to upgrade our gravity gauge?

also, tips on beating those annoying giant Navi in the mining areas?

LotusHD

Banned
I'm still early in the game.
when do we get to upgrade our gravity gauge?

also, tips on beating those annoying giant Navi in the mining areas?

It upgrades naturally through progressing through the story, as well as completing certain side quests.

There is actually a safe route, but I had to look it up on YouTube.

The safe route is cornering individual soldiers and kicking their asses. Until you have to worry about the ships.

It's funny, because the game's mechanics leave it poised to tackle stealth in unique ways. But then they have to be fucks and have all these people patrolling the skies and under the buildings as well, they went overboard lol

There don't seem to be a clear set of rules the game follows when it comes to stealth. It also feels like play testers found it impossible, so they neutered the AI almost completely.

Where is this trench mentioned in the trophies? Still haven't found a rare nevi, driving me mad there are people knocking out these trophies and I have no idea what's going on.

v0mitg0d

Ok GAF, it's been a few days. What are your feelings towards GR2?

It looks gosh darn gorgeous, but how is it better than GR1? Does it take any steps backwards?

jacobeid

Banned
Ok GAF, it's been a few days. What are your feelings towards GR2?

It looks gosh darn gorgeous, but how is it better than GR1? Does it take any steps backwards?

The sequel improves upon the original in every way, but it's not perfect. In particular, some of the mission design is less than stellar. I don't think anybody really enjoys the stealth missions, for instance. The game also starts a bit slow but ramps up quickly.

I'm very, very positive toward the game though. 13 hours played for reference.

There's a lot of fun to be had, but the camera could have used more work, and the stealth missions are just bad since they mostly boil down to, "Find the one path that won't lead to an insta-fail."

Some of the missions soar, though, and traversing using all the gravity types is quite lovely.

Btw, is it normal that there's some kind of "lag" to go from Lunar to back to normal mode? I click the panel but sometimes the game straights ignores me lol

Yeah, it's not the most responsive input method. Sometimes I need one or two goes before it'll actually register, no matter which one I'm switching to.

It's a shame there isn't a full custom control remap option. They give you five different preset layouts but they all seem terrible except the default. My ideal setup would be:

- Regular, Lunar and Jupiter styles all on the D-pad, ala DMC4. No more missed inputs when you're trying to change styles in the middle of a fight
- Camera, map and whatever the other D-pad buttons currently do mapped Touchpad swipes, because I'm never going to be using those under pressure
- Gravity Slide and Speed Fall both on L2. You can't do those two things at the same time, so there'd be no conflict there, and they're both a 'go faster' function (Sliding for when you're in contact with a surface, and Speed Fall when you're in the air. This would allow you to Speed Fall while still maintaining camera control
- Swap the Stasis Field and Reset Gravity buttons. This would let you fire your projectiles without having to take your thumb off the right stick

maouvin

Anyone fought rare nevi? in the statistic it says rare nevi = 0

How can I encounter them ?

I found one while doing some regular mining (not during a gravity storm) on that map that you go with Misai during a sidequest early on.
I was somewhat far from starting point, trying to reach the map limit horizontallu. Broke an ore "egg", no gems came out, shortly after a green nevi (the small, ground type) showed up. Downed me in two hits after tanking a whole spiraling claw (no idea if it's immune or just tanky). Will try to hunt it again later in the game, I was on chapter 3 or 4 when I found it.

No screenshots because I'm dumb.

Top Bottom