• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Milijango

what am i missing here? the US one is exactly like that.

Wait a second... I've been hoodwinked!

hikkKJU.png

oYjrxF3.jpg

(The Japanese one still looks nicer with bigger font and no golden glow.)

I'd like to see the European art, actually. The title being rotated really takes away from the effect from the announcement trailer, where it looks like something small is falling with tremendous force into the title. I remember watching that trailer for the first time and thinking that was a really neat design touch.

EDIT: And there it is. I was hoping for key art that would play up the effect I mentioned.

Dunan

Any Russian speakers in the audience?

I was in (Chapter 13 location)
Pleajeune, basking in that beautiful purple light
helping a man remember his daughter, when I came upon a sign that had, in addition to Hekseville writing, some very pixelated Russian on it. (If you're facing the young guy in the blue suit, this will be forward and to the left, in the corner against a side wall.)

I think the Russian said: под знаменем ленина - вперед за родину, за нашу победу! (pod znamenem Lenina - vpered za rodinu, za nashu pobedu!, "Under Lenin's banner, forward for our country and our victory!) Is that right? I only studied for one year and ya nye mnogo ponimayu, so someone enlighten me!

What a totally random bit of Earth lore to make an appearance in this universe!

Posted my thoughts on the ending in the spoiler thread. Blown away by some parts, less impressed by others, but overall it was a mesmerizing experience.

DylanEno

Pissed that online services will be down all weekend. Like it isn't already absurdly difficult to get the dusty tokens - now that I have some free time to get through the rest of the game, I can't even rely on Sony to let me upload photos, treasure hunts, challenges, etc? That's fucked, yo.

As someone who doesn't usually bother with Sony - is this sort of downtime commonplace?

About 40 hours in and I am dreading the end of the game. Very rare I put this much time into a game that isn't an RPG and can't get enough of it. Gonna be a sad day when those credits roll.

Aww, just got to the part with
Raven getting rid of the mask and joining Kat again

Pissed that online services will be down all weekend. Like it isn't already absurdly difficult to get the dusty tokens - now that I have some free time to get through the rest of the game, I can't even rely on Sony to let me upload photos, treasure hunts, challenges, etc? That's fucked, yo.

As someone who doesn't usually bother with Sony - is this sort of downtime commonplace?
Nah.

Nydius

Was asked by a colleague today what I'd rate the game and I honestly didn't have an answer.

GRR was sitting in my backlog for a while and I picked it up, fell in love with it, and played through it two weeks before GR2 came out. So most of the first game was fresh in my head. Even with that and watching the anime, so much of the game felt confusing and poorly fleshed out. Yet despite that, I couldn't stop wanting to play more of it and still felt a connection to the main characters and a handful of the side characters.

My biggest gripes about the game come from three main sources:
- The camera. I know lots of people point at Chapter 12 but frankly I found the camera to be a pain throughout, especially in hectic aerial battles. It frequently tried to "help" and in doing so it usually became a hindrance. I would have given anything for a legitimate camera lock-on button for some of those fights.

- Too many side missions that strayed away from the premise of the character. FAR too many of them strip away gravity powers and just leave Kat standing around like a regular old citizen. Once in a while these were fine but it got to a point where I felt like every side mission was either "go here and do stealth things (you can use your gravity powers but don't get caught)" or "No gravity powers kthx."

- The fail states of side missions are just painful (especially several of the ones where you can't use your gravity powers). For example, the Battle Nurse chain or
the side missions where you have to run around and pretend to be the celebrity whose name I can't flippin remember - I failed the Vendecentre one several times because some random child would literally run at warp speed to intercept me no matter which way I went and would instantly realize I was a fraud, starting the whole thing over. Eventually one of the resets didn't have said child and I finally passed
. Combined with point two, I found side missions to be the biggest source of frustration throughout the entire game.

Things that I feel could have been better (besides the obvious story discussion):

- This will be an unpopular opinion but I don't feel like the gravity states were all that compelling. They had their situational uses but most of the time I found myself in plain Normal mode. I felt like they could have been used for much more
- the last few chapters illustrated how they could have been used throughout

- Talismans felt like it was a great idea on paper but really didn't turn into much during development. The benefits of talismans felt almost optional and the usefulness of the entire talisman mechanic didn't become available until (IMO) far too late. I think part of this also gets rolled into the prior point: Since talismans were really useful in modifying gravity states and the gravity states were too situational, it made most of the talisman uses feel less necessary. I never really felt like I was expected to switch them mid fight either.

- Mining was a slog. It sucked. No other way to say it. And I still don't have the Delvool trophy because I've only had the gravity storm event pop once in 28 hours of play and I had to stop playing before really getting into the trench. (Now the servers are down so that means storms won't be around until after maintenance? If so, WTF man...)

- E: Needed more Dusty (while requiring fewer Dusty Tokens).

Anyway, back to my colleague: I asked if he had played the first game and he said no. My recommendation was that he pick up and play that one first before GR2. I can't imagine anyone playing the second one without ANY prior knowledge of the first game, both in story and underlying main mechanics. It's worth playing and I enjoyed every minute I've put into both games but I think it will always be remembered as a cult/niche classic. And I'm ok with that.

N° 2048

So I'm on Episode 8 and I'm honestly tired of the stealth already, is there a lot in the main story?

Like I don't want to stealth and take pics...I don't mind stealth for side quests but I seriously hope there isn't a lot in the main story.

This is really disappointing atm...some really good moments and then these stealth moments...what a stark contrast...the game is called Gravity Rush.

edit: ok that was so worth it though.
Kat singing in the red dress!

I just beat it, holy crap.

Took me 35 hours to do all story/side/challenges. I still have about 10ish total pictures, and need about 15k gems for the 60k trophy. I also havent touched any of the rare nevi yet. So i'd guess i have at least another good 10 hours before the platinum.

I would have had the 300 dusty tokens if the servers hadnt been down today.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat Episode 12
Whew, need to find Raven and Cecie! I'm glad the latter was okay. So camera was your worst enemy this chapter, especially in all the tight corridors and constantly changing angles, it was a real pain. Jupiter style is a lot of fun though, so powerful.

I think I'm gonna stop there for the night and play Tales of Berseria for a bit.

Strings

Oooooh. No wonder I wasn't getting any mining events so I can get into the trench for my final trophy. Phew, you saved me a bunch of time.

Baalzebup

Oooooh. No wonder I wasn't getting any mining events so I can get into the trench for my final trophy. Phew, you saved me a bunch of time.
But the mining site events aren't tied to the online components beyond being able to see other peoples dying spots in Delvool. I'm actually about to enter there myself, even as I write this message.

Mathieran

Banned
Just did the side quest where
you pretend to be Angel and try to get people to go eat ice cream.
man that was one of the most rage inducing quests I've ever played.
The ice cream headaches were so stupid and the penalty is too high. Thank god there's only two rounds of that shit.

I've been messing around with lunar style a lot and it's so much fun. A really talented player could make some awesome gifs with it. I especially like doing a rocket jump off the side of a building but haven't mastered it yet. Ping ponging around town is a lot of fun.

Fireblend

Banned
What the hell is up with some of these side missions?

"hey, you know those floating and flying mechanics that make this game so great? Yeah, if you use those you lose. Here's this super frustrating stealth section instead!"

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

silva1991

"hey, you know those floating and flying mechanics that make this game so great? Yeah, if you use those you lose. Here's this super frustrating stealth section instead!"

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

Worst part of the game.

LotusHD

Banned

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

But the charming writing!

Jk, it can be annoying at times depending on the quest.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY
My biggest criticism. It just isn't smart design on various levels.

Perhaps, part of the problem is how much bigger things are in general and having to create more content. Instead, it should have been smaller with more missions that cleverly utilize the gravity ability while keeping the charm of it all.

Fireblend

Banned
Worst part of the game.
I was seriously thinking of playing this for like another 4 hours today but those two side missions in a row just took the wind out of me. And I'm just on the sixth story mission? Man, what where they thinking?!

One of the worst examples of a dev crippling their own game I've ever seen.

LotusHD

Banned
My biggest criticism. It just isn't smart design on various levels.

Perhaps, part of the problem is how much bigger things are in general and having to create more content. Instead, it should have been smaller with more missions that cleverly utilize the gravity ability while keeping the charm of it all.

Some sidequests aren't half bad when they strip your powers away imo, like the battle nurse one, or the police investigation. It puts you in amusing situations where you don't mind playing ball. But yea, a lot of times I'm like, why you taking away my cool powers lol

Fortunately most of these quests are optional, and there's still a good amount that actually do let you use your powers.

But yea, between that, the stealth, and the camera issues, I understand why this didn't get an outright 10 from any of the reviews lol

Roubjon

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy the stealth missions. I feel like it's one of the few times I get a chance to actually walk around an area instead of just flying everywhere. I can clearly see why you guys don't like it though.

LotusHD

Banned
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy the stealth missions. I feel like it's one of the few times I get a chance to actually walk around an area instead of just flying everywhere. I can clearly see why you guys don't like it though.

I don't mind them when they actually let me hide from the police in unique ways, and don't cloud the skies with police. The most recent one I did just pretty much walk under the buildings, so it was actually kinda fun. Like it should be common sense, if I had gravity powers, this is exactly how I'd avoid being detected.

Some sidequests aren't half bad when they strip your powers away imo, like the battle nurse one, or the police investigation. It puts you in amusing situations where you don't mind playing ball. But yea, a lot of times I'm like, why you taking away my cool powers lol

Fortunately most of these quests are optional, and there's still a good amount that actually do let you use your powers.

But yea, between that, the stealth, and the camera issues, I understand why this didn't get an outright 10 from any of the reviews lol
I still have yet to get to those but I'll see!

muteki

I've only been through a couple stealth missions but, I kinda like them so far. Many nooks and crannies to hide around in on that fort and if you just go around taking out single soldiers MGS style it is fairly straightforward.

They should have let Kat keep singing though...

Milijango

I've only been through a couple stealth missions but, I kinda like them so far. Many nooks and crannies to hide around in on that fort and if you just go around taking out single soldiers MGS style it is fairly straightforward.

They should have let Kat keep singing though...

I felt that the stealth missions on the fort were fine; it's a large area with a lot of ways to break line of sight. The other ones are worse.

The way stealth works in this game is that there are 1-2 correct paths where no one will ever see you, and any other pathways will get you caught. There's no real timing required, nor other tricks in terms of execution; you just sort of fail until you notice which way you were supposed to go.

It isn't good, but it hasn't gotten under my skin the way it seems to have for most.

Strings

But the mining site events aren't tied to the online components beyond being able to see other peoples dying spots in Delvool. I'm actually about to enter there myself, even as I write this message.

Err, really? I was under the impression I needed to get a gravity phenomenon with an 'other' on the tab to enter Delvool? I still need to kill one of those flying dudes in Mining Site 0 (I think) to get the 5 Nevi trophy too.

(I'm not getting any gravity phenomena since the servers have been down).

Baalzebup

Hah! Get fucked, layer 11 advancement challenge. I can finally move on!
Err, really? I was under the impression I needed to get a gravity phenomenon with an 'other' on the tab to enter Delvool? I still need to kill one of those flying dudes in Mining Site 0 (I think) to get the 5 Nevi trophy too.
Yes, you do, but the gravity storms aren't bound to online activity in any way or form. I've just had two of them in a row.
What is going on with the mining? I haven't touched it. I know it's mostly for talismans; are they actually like chalice dungeons or were you all joking? Are they a slog or not too time consuming?
There is a dungeon of sorts called the Delvool Mining Trench. It is a kind of a dungeon delve -thing, with otherwise meager mining yields, but far superior Talisman quality. Every layer has one of those stone tablet challenges that has to be fulfilled to move on to the next layer. It gets incrementally more difficult the deeper you go and the difficulty is not affected by your difficulty choice for the rest of the game.

And generally on the topic of mining, Jupiter Style rules supreme. Gone are they days when you needed to kick them for days. Just switch to Jupiter and run at the ore nodes. They are crushed by the sheer weight of Kats awesomeness.

Milijango

What is going on with the mining? I haven't touched it. I know it's mostly for talismans; are they actually like chalice dungeons or were you all joking? Are they a slog or not too time consuming?

Strings

Hah! Get fucked, layer 11 advancement challenge. I can finally move on!

Yes, you do, but the gravity storms aren't bound to online activity in any way or form. I've just had two of them in a row.

Huh, they just popped as you said this. I don't want to alarm you, but you might be magic?

I don't care about trophies, but I'd do still all of them. Complaints aside, I like them a lot compared to the sidequests I usually experience.

Eh, I'll admit I'm a sucker for trophies as long as they aren't too difficult to get. If trying to get them is just plain not-fun, I usually won't bother.

silva1991

What do you mean" like chalice dungeons" Like you said it's just for talismans. I guess talismans are like Bloodborne gems since they are random

Top Bottom