• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Milijango

What do you mean" like chalice dungeons" Like you said it's just for talismans. I guess talismans are like Bloodborne gems since they are random

I don't know, I literally heard someone mention it was like the chalice dungeons and don't know if they were serious or not.

So they are just reused maps, right, like the gravel pit and the forbidden lands? But with a chance of a random boss?

Baalzebup

I don't know, I literally heard someone mention it was like the chalice dungeons and don't know if they were serious or not.

So they are just reused maps, right, like the gravel pit and the forbidden lands? But with a chance of a random boss?
There is nothing random about the boss appearance. The first boss was on layer 10 and it was the same damn scythe-armed Nevi you see in the mining sites when you get reports of gravity anomalies. The only actually random enemy related thing in Delvool are the Rare Nevi spawns, which are quite literally rare and they can also appear in the mining sites even outside of Delvool. The three reasons to go there are higher tier talismans,the gradually increasing general difficulty and the advancement challenges.

And yes, it is just re-used mining site maps, though each layer is far smaller than any individual mining site.
Oh really? I didn't get that notification in the game for some reason
How would you, since the servers are offline?;D
They never sent any in-game message about it. I read about it from this thread as well.
Huh, they just popped as you said this. I don't want to alarm you, but you might be magic?
Oh that... Mind looking at this doohickey over here, please:
gOkmosb.gif

ChrisD

The Training Day side mission was so good. The exploding crates oh man. All three of us in the room were laughing at the
"I think Chaz just likes explosions"
exchange. I loved the ending of it, with Kat thinking more on dinner than the poor man.

It is a bit of an annoyance though how Kat's design is... Well, not sexualized in the sense of general fanservice, but still enough that every time my sisters see the game they just give me the look of, "Uh-huh, I know why you're playing that." They would love the character and world if they would watch or play, but they won't. The line of, "The character is actually likeable, I swear," also doesn't work because of that whole "it's for the plot," thing people use online, lol.

I love her design, mind you, but it's what I've grown accustomed to. If she was of a different design from the beginning I'd probably say how much I like it! My case is one of liking the character enough that you end up liking the design, because I totally had the same thought my sisters do now when my friend suggested the first game to me back in 2013.

...That has nothing to do with the game, I guess. Sorry heh.

WAIT THAT ALSO BRINGS TO MIND

I hate GR2's box art.
okay dislike, but it's Internet, I have to hyperbole

Hear me out.

It's a cool box. I love the colors. I love the bendy logo and its placement. I like that Raven and Kat are both featured. The action poses are... Eh. Not the biggest fan of those. As a whole, it's good enough, it will definitely stand out on a shelf.

But the biggest thing, and it's why I don't like it much, is that it doesn't exude the essence of the series like GR1's art did. Kat standing on the side of the towering building, looking at the city. It's a beautiful, peaceful choice of art. It doesn't grab you with poppy colors, but it definitely intrigues.

I'm not an artist, so I don't know what I'd have liked though, other than, "Something more like GR1's."

LotusHD

Banned
Asshole Kat returns!

Episode 17 spoilers:

Beating Kali while wearing her costume was extremely satisfying and disrespectful in the best of ways. Fuck her lol

silva1991

It's the same mines you went into in the story missions. sometimes the very first nevi boss appears there and drops good talisman. That's all.

I don't know if there are rare nevi there or not.

Baalzebup

It's the same mines you went into in the story missions. sometimes the very first nevi boss appears there and drops good talisman. That's all.

I don't know if there are rare nevi there or not.
Naw, that is a matter completely separate from the Delvool Mining Trench.

Milijango

But the biggest thing, and it's why I don't like it much, is that it doesn't exude the essence of the series like GR1's art did. Kat standing on the side of the towering building, looking at the city. It's a beautiful, peaceful choice of art. It doesn't grab you with poppy colors, but it definitely intrigues.

I'm not an artist, so I don't know what I'd have liked though, other than, "Something more like GR1's."

I don't have a problem with the sequel boxart, but there's a certain Ico-esque focus on the environment over the character in the original that's rare and I appreciated it. The international release cropped the artwork to make Kat more prominent but the overall effect it still there.

LotusHD

Banned
The Training Day side mission was so good. The exploding crates oh man. All three of us in the room were laughing at the
exchange. I loved the ending of it, with Kat thinking more on dinner than the poor man.

It is a bit of an annoyance though how Kat's design is... Well, not sexualized in the sense of general fanservice, but still enough that every time my sisters see the game they just give me the look of, "Uh-huh, I know why you're playing that." They would love the character and world if they would watch or play, but they won't. The line of, "The character is actually likeable, I swear," also doesn't work because of that whole "it's for the plot," thing people use online, lol.

I love her design, mind you, but it's what I've grown accustomed to. If she was of a different design from the beginning I'd probably say how much I like it! My case is one of liking the character enough that you end up liking the design, because I totally had the same thought my sisters do now when my friend suggested the first game to me back in 2013.

I hate GR2's box art.

Hear me out.

It's a cool box. I love the colors. I love the bendy logo and its placement. I like that Raven and Kat are both featured. The action poses are... Eh. Not the biggest fan of those. As a whole, it's good enough, it will definitely stand out on a shelf.

I loved that side quest as well. That dude really needs to chill lmao

As for Kat's design, I resigned myself to the fact that it is very well possible that I just have a high tolerance, to the point where despite me thinking that Kat's design is genuinely fine (Unlike say 2B from Nier Automata, or hell, Raven, where it's obvious why some would dislike it), others may see it in an entirely different way. The fact that I played both games and see that the numerous ways in which Kat is both an excellent character and how they surprisingly avoid (usually) obvious ways to implement blatant fanservice has likely also blinded me somewhat as well. At any rate, I'm happy to say that I feel no embarrassment when playing as her all things considered, so I have that going for me at least.
They could lose the heels though.

At any rate, I always like hearing more girls' opinion on her outfit, as it helps to put things in perspective.

As for the box art, I pretty much brought that up a few hours ago. I don't hate it either, but like, they definitely could've done a better job illustrating that you get to control gravity in this game. Like I feel that controlling gravity is one of those powers that is inherently cool, so not making it clear enough that you can do that is a mistake imo. The Vita cover for example did a great job of that. Even the Remastered cover, while bland looking, more or less did a better job of getting the point across. Instead I picture a random person looking at it, and probably thinking it's some anime game where you get to regularly control both Kat and Raven. Anime assumptions aside, it even feels slightly misleading, because this is Kat's story through and through, despite Raven having more prominence. It's just lame, because you just know that stuff like this actually matters to the average consumer, where the box art's appearance could result in a potential sale. Just a cover where she's like upside down or something would've went a long way; at the very least I'd probably think it looked cooler. Oh well.

Don't really see Kat as sexualised myself, she almost looks like a child a good portion of the time. Some of her outfits are a bit more revealing, personally I like the red dress since it contrasts the environments nicely.

There are particular scenes and artworks in the first game that are a bit cringeworthy though. But for general gameplay I think it's fine, my sisters look at the game and say 'that looks really cool', and nothing else. Meanwhile, they offer odd glances when I play the womens wrestling mini-game in Yakuza Zero.

Baalzebup

Ah, finally some genuine progress with Delvool. Made it all the way to layer 16, which started to drop new quality tier talismans. Cleared the challenge and got the fuck out of there. That will be a nice milestone to continue from.

Milijango

I have no idea what that means, but I'm ready nonetheless...

After I finish these side missions.

Some of the sidequests could have been... postponed. I'm thinking the end of Chapter II,
where right after Syd and Cecie get taken hostage you get the stinky delivery quest. It is a good quest though.
There are definitely missions that get strung together and that part of the story might have benefited from that.

Number45

Game tried to make me hate it last night. Episodes 10 and 12, between which I tried a horrible side mission that required me to reach the top of a building (without shifting) while being slammed by Raven, really tested my patience with the game.

Still love the world and characters, but I'm not a fan of the other styles at all so far and I don't recall such frustrating missions from the first game.

Milijango

Game tried to make me hate it last night. Episodes 10 and 12, between which I tried a horrible side mission that required me to reach the top of a building (without shifting) while being slammed by Raven, really tested my patience with the game.

That side quest was actually the one that sold me on the lunar jumps as a traversal tool. That said I can totally see how Raven could give you a hard time.

I don't get why some people say they don't get much use out of the alternate gravity modes. I'm constantly switching between them. Hitting lunar whenever I'm about to hit the ground, or run out of energy to slow my fall, hitting jupiter when I want to reach the ground quickly, or travel at high speed, and shifting between each depending on the enemy I'm facing.

The only thing I will say is I haven't found too many uses for Jupiter modes attacks because they're a little too slow. On some bosses they deal a lot of damage, especially statis field, but the startup on the melee attacks and gravity kick is too long to make use of without getting hit, I find.

Ferr986

I hate GR2's box art.

Hear me out.

I don't think Kat is a sexualized character design wise. I mean, she doesn't have big boobs, or is curvy, and it's also not the opposite thing (a loli). It helps that she's considered more on the normal looking in the game instead of the hot girl.

Some outfits can be kinda heh, I honestly only play with Shifter costume but even that I see how some people can think it's a little weird looking even if I find it fine.

Or maybe your sisters are like mine. When we lived together she always thought that me playing a female character = sorely for the "plot", no matter how much clothes she had lol

Btw, what I feel is that Kat is a lil more "cutesy" and naive in this game compared to first, but maybe I don't remember the first one very well.
I just did the schoolgirls side quests
really Kat, you end up doing the ritual too? how about learning what the word NO means?lol

ced

What the hell is up with some of these side missions?

"hey, you know those floating and flying mechanics that make this game so great? Yeah, if you use those you lose. Here's this super frustrating stealth section instead!"

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

I quit last night over this shit.

Fliesen

... that side mission with the dog's lost toy was the most annoying and pointless side mission i've ever played in a video game ...

Overall, the non-mainline-story content in this game feels worse than in the original GR, and since i'm a huge completionist, i clean up every map marker first before going for the next mission.
Still enjoying the game, but they could've trimmed some of the fat. :/

i just got
lunar mode
and i find it super duper impractical because it emphasises the issues the game has with camera controls :p

Number45

The side quests in general across the two games are some of my favourites, because we get to learn more about some of the more fringe characters. But there's a pretty high level of crappy mechanics in them in GR2.

That side quest was actually the one that sold me on the lunar jumps as a traversal tool. That said I can totally see how Raven could give you a hard time.
I don't hate either of those jumps to be honest, but the other aspects of lunar (particularly moving around on the ground in enclosed areas) I don't find to be useful at all. The justification for no shifting in that mission is stupid too because I could transport those boxes with much less trauma when shifted as opposed to jump/land > jump/land.

In the first game and beginning of this one, I always felt kind bad when I shifted and sent random people flying off over the edge to their doom. Now that I've been to Lei Havina, I don't feel so bad when it happens there, I actually try to do it as much as possible and wreak havoc all over lol.

ChrisD

Apologies for a likely poor post, it's late and I'm just up trying to heat up in this frozen house. .-.

I loved that side quest as well. That dude really needs to chill lmao

As for Kat's design, I resigned myself to the fact that it is very well possible that I just have a high tolerance, to the point where despite me thinking that Kat's design is genuinely fine (Unlike say 2B from Nier Automata, or hell, Raven, where it's obvious why some would dislike it), others may see it in an entirely different way. The fact that I played both games and see that the numerous ways in which Kat is both an excellent character and how they surprisingly avoid (usually) obvious ways to implement blatant fanservice has likely also blinded me somewhat as well. At any rate, I'm happy to say that I feel no embarrassment when playing as her all things considered, so I have that going for me at least.
They could lose the heels though.

At any rate, I always like hearing more girls' opinion on her outfit, as it helps to put things in perspective.

(Trimming the quotes from all posts so my reply isn't humongous)

He had a fair point with his crates for all situations, at least!

I definitely feel like I just let things slide, as well because yeah, I know this character isn't just a fanservice tool. It's difficult not to like Kat, they've done such a great job at making her feel like someone you enjoy tagging along with in the adventure.

The heels thing is actually what bugged my older sister. The younger sort of just follows her, though, so I'm not actually sure what she thinks completely.

I went back after posting and saw you brought up the boxart haha. Glad I'm not alone! Again, I do think it looks okay, it's not bad, I just don't really.. Like it.

Don't really see Kat as sexualised myself, she almost looks like a child a good portion of the time. Some of her outfits are a bit more revealing, personally I like the red dress since it contrasts the environments nicely.

The Red Dress is my favorite outfit in the whole game, but it felt weird to me when I'd fall away from the camera and get an up-dress view. Despite the fact there's nothing different from Shifter 1.0/2.0 in regards to that, having the dress there makes me feel uncomfortable. Almost always change into it when taking photos!

Associating it with that jazzy song also makes it all the better in my mind. <3

Some of the sidequests could have been... postponed.

This took me out of the moment so much omg.

This was actually my favorite side mission thus far. Didn't know Lunar could jump off buildings the way it does.

I don't think Kat is a sexualized character design wise. I mean, she doesn't have big boobs, or is curvy, and it's also not the opposite thing (a loli). It helps that she's considered more on the normal looking in the game instead of the hot girl.

Or maybe your sisters are like mine. When we lived together she always thought that me playing a female character = sorely for the "plot", no matter how much clothes she had

The 2.0 cleavage window was sorely unneeded, and the heels could proooobablh go, but otherwise I am on the side of "it's fine." Like I replied to another in this post, having a dress on actually makes me more uncomfortable than Shifter. I feel they did the best they could to keep the design good with the gameplay in mind. But I don't want to completely disregard the female opinions I hear since, well, it's a large enough deal for them to not enjoy a wonderful character.

Also I have another sister who thinks that way, but she doesn't live here anymore. Thinks my brother is watching straight up hardcore triple-x or something because he watches anime rofl.

In the first game and beginning of this one, I always felt kind bad when I shifted and sent random people flying off over the edge to their doom. Now that I've been to Lei Havina, I don't feel so bad when it happens there, I actually try to do it as much as possible and wreak havoc all over lol.

Yessss on both points. Rich snobs. :L

Milijango

I'm surprised we're talking so much about Kat's design when Raven exists. I'm fairly certain her outfit defies physics, but then again, she is a gravity shifter.

(I get it, with Kat being front and centre).

I can't sympathize with the more negative skewed side mission discussion tbh. The only part of the game I outright disliked so far is Episode 12, which is really a mess. Stuff like the stealth though? It's so simple and binary. Once you figure out what the game allows and wants you to do, the mission is over 2 minutes later. The fail states don't linger, and unless you're restarting upwards of 5 times, in which case you're really doing something wrong, I don't see the big issue. And the game outright tells you how to proceed in most cases anyway. Now do I think they're good missions? Not really and I'd rather the game let you get spotted and continue, to portray Kat as a bumbling and messy hero, but man it ain't that bad.

Same for the lost toy sidequest everyone seems to hate. The spots you have to check are super obvious, and otherwise all you have to do is press square and wait a few seconds to see if you're on the right track.

It's not like there's a lack of superpower use or combat in the game. I cool with all this.

Honestly, my biggest issue with the sidequests is that I often feel like they drag on longer than they should. They have interesting (sometime annoying, but still) idea and mechanic to complete, but then you have to repeat said mechanic (usually) at least three times. If they were a bit shorter I feel we would all have less of an issue with them.

McFadge

The lock-on attacks of Lunar mode are infuriating. Seems totally random; not based on stick direction input, camera orientation, anything. It just picks something "nearby", not necessarily in range, and flies towards it. Can't seem to swing it from that target either. Really noticeable when trying to mines gems. Ugh.

Some sidequests aren't half bad when they strip your powers away imo, like the battle nurse one, or the police investigation. It puts you in amusing situations where you don't mind playing ball. But yea, a lot of times I'm like, why you taking away my cool powers lol

Fortunately most of these quests are optional, and there's still a good amount that actually do let you use your powers.

But yea, between that, the stealth, and the camera issues, I understand why this didn't get an outright 10 from any of the reviews lol

Yeah, the police training missions were actually a lot of fun. My biggest complaints are the stealth missions -- not necessarily tailing someone (you can use your powers for that, and they help quite a bit, plus there's that one sidequest where you're tailing this guy to see if he's cheating on someone and
you have to quiet that couple down who are calling for you to take their picture. It was just so hilarious that they were doing that.
-- but the "pick the path that doesn't insta-fail you." Boo.

The rest is so fun.

tsundoku

e: forgot to even gripe about the thing i came here for (aside from to check if anyone knew more about the maintenance lol)

the Women's Portraits Pigeon Lady in the photo collections (Don't look at this early game as it has a spoiler) is straight up busted. I followed the groups of pigeons around scaring them along their predefined routes, found twins of that npc walking around town and took pictures of them, and went to her roof like 20 times and probably spent a total of 2-3 hours looking for her.

She's randomly spawned up there and appears to be the only photo person on a random spawn / limited spawn where she gets dropped if there are too many other npcs in the area. I'm doing all of the photos and its the only photo thats taken me more then like 4-5 minutes per spot.

I eventually got her the second day of looking by just doing quick rounds of the rooftops before heading off to a diff part of the map to take photos elsewhere.

here's a hint if she's messing with you
its two pyramid shaped green roofs connected by a bridge like flat structure, she's on there, its one of the places one of the pigeon groups can fly to

That reminds me, is there no way to upgrade fall speed or gravity shift duration in this game? Or has that moved into Talismans?
Jupiter style is 100% the original fall speed / X speed and gravity slide speed and handling. My only gripe is how late in the story you get it but i'm glad I waited to do challenges at the end

Who needs the X button when you can just gravity kick your way across the skies
I've seen this rhetoric about gravity kicking in a few places on the internet, but unless i'm missing some massive upgrade higher on the gravity kick upgrades or there is some talisman that absolutely shrinks the cost of gravity kicks, they don't seem to be any faster then shifting in normal mode, and they absolutely annihilate your gravity meter.

How would you, since the servers are offline?;D
They never sent any in-game message about it. I read about it from this thread as well.
I got the message overnight last night and it had an early february date, 2/3? or something? on it so i assumed that was when the servers were going down, not that they'd be down for a week. I sincerely hope they're writing game code to 5x the rewards for dusty tokens or something, I've done hours of treasure hunts with people's bad pictures, sent out tonnes of pictures and challenges that never get returned and am like 700 tokens deep and getting sick of it.

Same for the lost toy sidequest everyone seems to hate. The spots you have to check are super obvious, and otherwise all you have to do is press square and wait a few seconds to see if you're on the right track.
The first step of the lost toy mission is pretty easy, it's obvious where she's headed. The problem is really the second part where you do the actual tossing and how many times I was just slightly over or slightly under the boundary.
And as you actively fail at that quest the meter goes down, so instead of doing like 3/4 sucessful throws you end up having to do like 10 successful throws.
The stasis field is really aggravating in this game with how articles floop and flop around in random orientations out of your view and will collide with obstacles barely out of your view when you launch them, or in the case of the disc, randomly come out sideways. Its also way too powerful of an option I found myself relying on in any large soldier battle, I'd have preferred the first game's way tighter field and more precise aiming with it being less powerful and a reduction in the number of soldiers and nevi to fight in certain battles.
it would have been nice to have some button to hold to mess with the specific orientation of objects in your field of view, Moving Day is also really stressful with the rampant floop zoopy floppyness of the stasis field objects

The first step of the lost toy mission is pretty easy, it's obvious where she's headed. The problem is really the second part where you do the actual tossing and how many times I was just slightly over or slightly under the boundary.
And as you actively fail at that quest the meter goes down, so instead of doing like 3/4 sucessful throws you end up having to do like 10 successful throws.

I only messed up 2 throws, those being my first 2, before I quickly realized that going into first person and aiming above the box (because it goes in an arc) made the mission easy as hell. I simply don't get the frustration with it at all.

And I don't agree with nerfing the stasis field. It is annoying when your "ammo" hits objects in the way, but that's the nature of a physics engine, and the stasis field is one of the biggest improvements from the first game, where it was barely any good, to GR2 where in both Normal and especially Jupiter styles it's a ton of fun.

I more I play this game, the more I like it. The first big world you can visit, plus post chapter 12/13
where you go back to Heksville,
are just so fun to explore, and once you have all the gravity powers, you have so many options! I love sliding around, then rocket jumping, then lunar jumping, then shifting, then doing whatever. And whenever I come across gems, I immediately detour and start experimenting with the gravity styles.

Plus, this game fixed the first game's issue of a lack of side missions as most of the side stuff were time trials with DLC handling most of the side missions. There are some clunkers for sure, especially the stealth insta-fail ones, but many of them are quite fun! I've spent the last few days doing nothing but side missions and exploring.

It's a pity the servers are down for maintenance because the treasure hunts are a fantastic little multiplayer item. I love getting notifications that my photos helped someone.

EDIT: OH, and being able to fly from place to place by flying into the sky or down down down... AWESOME. Glad this is on the PS4.

How do you replay story missions? Click on mission 10 and it says "story mission already completed" but i need to take a picture of a statue in it for the platinum.

Unknown?

I don't get why some people say they don't get much use out of the alternate gravity modes. I'm constantly switching between them. Hitting lunar whenever I'm about to hit the ground, or run out of energy to slow my fall, hitting jupiter when I want to reach the ground quickly, or travel at high speed, and shifting between each depending on the enemy I'm facing.

The only thing I will say is I haven't found too many uses for Jupiter modes attacks because they're a little too slow. On some bosses they deal a lot of damage, especially statis field, but the startup on the melee attacks and gravity kick is too long to make use of without getting hit, I find.
Yeah I use it to lunar jump, then Jupiter to Gravity slam my enemies. Using all three in a battle makes it much better!

Top Bottom