• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Fireblend

Banned
Had a much better experience with this game today than I did yesterday. Doing those horrible stealth missions back to back just drained my enthusiasm, but I'm up to episode 10 now and most of my frustration is very much gone. I still think some side missions are super infuriating (the one where you defend the store by throwing wooden boxes at "goons" was horrible, and I had to use a guide to beat the one where you're looking for some dog's frisbee), but I'm really enjoying the writing in the game, how you can follow up on the side stories' plot by talking to people around town, and the story is serviceable enough. Plus I loooove flying around just exploring the world and grabbing gems.

Anyway, wanted to ask: Is there any big reason to do the challenge and mining missions other than gem grinding and being a completionist? Am I missing out on some narrative aspect of the game by not doing those? I'm leaning towards just doing the story and side missions to make sure I finish the game and then if I have it in me try the less narratively significant stuff.

Baalzebup

Anyway, wanted to ask: Is there any big reason to do the challenge and mining missions other than gem grinding and being a completionist? Am I missing out on some narrative aspect of the game by not doing those? I'm leaning towards just doing the story and side missions to make sure I finish the game and then if I have it in me try the less narratively significant stuff.
Every gold result in a challenge will also net you a premium talisman, some of which are very useful until you get to the really good shit from Delvool. The mining itself is more or less only for talismans, as the gem income is pretty meager. Nothing of narrative value is lost by ignoring both the mining and the challenges.

Fireblend

Banned
Every gold result in a challenge will also net you a premium talisman, some of which are very useful until you get to the really good shit from Delvool. The mining itself is more or less only for talismans, as the gem income is pretty meager. Nothing of narrative value is lost by ignoring both the mining and the challenges.
That's OK. I like the Talisman stuff but I can do without it in exchange for not risking getting burnt out, plus I've gotten plenty already from playing the side and story missions anyway :p

Forgot to mention I'm loving Lunar style, super handy though I gotta get used to all the moves and switching between them.

Massive Ending Spoilers Ahead:

Am I the only one that
wishes Kat had stayed 'dead' at the end? Having Raven go on living on in her place after that credit sequence would have made it so much more impactful, in my opinion. That tease at the very end felt rather cheap to me...

Would have been nice to take more Raven selfies too.

Baalzebup

Am I the only one that
wishes Kat had stayed 'dead' at the end? Having Raven go on living on in her place after that credit sequence would have made it so much more impactful, in my opinion. That tease at the very end felt rather cheap to me...

I certainly hope you are, because I'm quite happy with the outcome.

I certainly hope you are, because I'm quite happy with the outcome.

I don't hate the outcome, in fact I'm very happy with it.

I just feel like playing the postgame with Raven instead of Kat (and cutting out the tease) would leave a more lasting impact and encourage more replayability.

Finished up mission 20 yesterday, and man, for every thing I want to praise this game on there's something negative for me to say. The game is beautiful, but the controls aren't that great. Fighting is fun, but it can be downright frustrating due to the "lock on" mechanic not always locking on to the right object and the camera going crazy. Some of the bosses are truly great, the story is a joy, and the side missions can be fun; however, then they throw these annoying "kill x enemies to reach the next checkpoint, can't shift gravity until you hit the checkpoint" main missions that run on for way too long and then some of the side missions run on for twice the length that they should (seriously, why do some of them make you do the same tedious thing three or four times over and over). I was always so excited for this game after playing through Gravity Rush on my Vita, and I can't believe how disappointed I ended up being. I'm honestly struggling to find reason to fully finish the game now
(why do they even give you an end credit's when the story isn't even fully finished anyway?)
, and I fully came into this expecting to platinum it. I feel like the game's ambition got the better of it, honestly.

Nydius

I don't hate the outcome, in fact I'm very happy with it.

I just feel like playing the postgame with Raven instead of Kat (and cutting out the tease) would leave a more lasting impact and encourage more replayability.

If there's a future game in the series, I kinda hope
we get to play as both, bouncing between them either as separate but concurrent story arcs or as coop allies within the same story arc. After all, the focus on Kat is over with this installment so there's no reason why both can't be treated as equals if there's another game.

A quick question about upgrades. I bought a couple from the gravity kick tree and says that I can chain 2 kicks together, problem is I don't really understand how this works.

Game is good so far btw, just finished the first mission in Jirga Para Lhao, kinda messy but I'm hoping for the game to only build up from here.

DylanEno

A quick question about upgrades. I bought a couple from the gravity kick tree and says that I can chain 2 kicks together, problem is I don't really understand how this works.

Game is good so far btw, just finished the first mission in Jirga Para Lhao, kinda messy but I'm hoping for the game to only build up from here.
I never really got that either - I seldom upgraded that tree because I just had a talisman that unlocked infinite chains so... lol

Milijango

After connecting your first gravity kick press square to get another hit in. Of course, you can do that even without the upgrade but it is slower. It's an okay upgrade, nothing indispensable.

I never really got that either - I seldom upgraded that tree because I just had a talisman that unlocked infinite chains so... lol
It means you can land consecutive kicks without resetting. If you land a kick, you can immediately target and go for another kick depending on how much upgrading you've done. Kat will reset herself in the air after she reaches the limit and then you'll be able to start with another set of consecutive kicks again.

DylanEno

It means you can land consecutive kicks without resetting. If you land a kick, you can immediately target and go for another kick depending on how much upgrading you've done. Kat will reset herself in the air after she reaches the limit and then you'll be able to start with another set of consecutive kicks again.
So does that talisman render the gravity kick skill tree rather useless?

LotusHD

Banned
Walk around looking for ducks? Go find some kid's balloon? Deliver newspapers? This is beyond dull. I...I'm done.

Trophy you get for doing the game's first side mission is "A Day in Kat's Life". If it wasn't obvious by now, this is the shit Kat does (or I guess more accurately, would do) in her everyday life. She's a superhero, the "Gravity Queen", and everyone knows a decent superhero doesn't just stick to the big threats and what not. They make time for the little things as well, whether it be helping to walk a dog, deliver newspapers, assist with a police investigation, or simply putting a smile on a little girl's face. Although admittedly it applies moreso to someone like Kat, who is genuinely nice to a fault. It's no different from how you would look at Geralt from Witcher 3's profession as a Witcher, meaning his sidequests are going to typically pertain to doing monster contracts, helping people fight off otherworldy creatures, etc. With that being said, that perspective, along with the fact that the writing is generally charming and/or humorous, makes those occasional mundane tasks more than satisfactory, even when certain side missions lean towards being a little frustrating. At any rate, I certainly find it more refreshing than fighting Nevis all day; the main story gives you more than enough opportunities to fight to your heart's content. Now I already came into the game with this perspective due to playing the first game (And I liked it then too), but perhaps if you kept it in mind, the game would be more pleasing to you.

Or not. I dunno.

I'm certainly not going to force you to enjoy the side missions, or the game itself if you're fed up with most of it. And if it's the mechanics of those quests that irk you, then that's understandable as well.

ironmang

Isn't that every RPG ever though ?

Not every game with a tree no.

You seem really fixated on the tree as if it's actually the major source of progression. It's not; levelups are actually what improve things like shifting, hp/sp, etc, and those are tied to your story progression and not in the skill tree. This game has no grind unless you want it to be a grind.

I've also tried to point out that gems aren't nearly as hard to come by as you get later into the game. I don't go through much effort to hunt down gems, and as I said before, I still ended up with a stockpile of 30k+ (enough to max the gravity kick tree if I really wanted to) without really trying. Up until last night I've only been doing as much mining as the sidequests ask you to do (though I'm finding the mining trench a lot of fun now that I seem to have unlocked access to it).

But hey, if your mind is set, don't let facts get in the way, I guess.

I don't care if it's required or not. I'm used to the experience, ore, or whatever being tied to a skill tree being less grindy than picking up 1s. So later into the game they replace all the 1s with 10s and 50s?

Game isn't the experience I thought it would be. Claiming "facts" doesn't enhance my enjoyment, sorry.

Protip: the majority of the gems you'll get during the game don't come from the random gems floating around anyways. Getting gold in some challenges can net you 1600 gems (and I think more, because I think you also get the rewards for silver and bronze? so potentially close to 3000 gems). Unless you absolutely must have every single power unlocked before the end of the game, you really don't need to "grind" for gems by flying around and finding them around the world. The game certainly doesn't require it of you and in fact it's quite easy to forget to upgrade things because you simply don't need them, especially with the right talismans. You want to be able to string together 6 kicks in a row, for example? I got a talisman really early in the game that let me do infinite combos.

(second protip: you know there are large gem pickups that give you 100, right? they're not exactly rare either)

I don't need 100% every single power but I would like at least 1 tree maxed just by beating the game.

12 episodes in and don't think I've seen a 100.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't need 100% every single power but I would like at least 1 tree maxed just by beating the game.

12 episodes in and don't think I've seen a 100.

Well you can achieve that, unless you literally mean beating the game, as in not having to bother with collecting gems or challenge missions as you play. If that's what you meant, then I guess not.

tsundoku

You can literally max the gravity slide tree in like an hour or two of the entire story.

Finally finished the dumb awful photo trophies, some of those hints are terrible, and having the saghassi's end up out of order after you've taken all of the pictures is just mean

ironmang

Well you can achieve that, unless you literally mean beating the game, as in not having to bother with collecting gems or challenge missions as you play. If that's what you meant, then I guess not.

Yep. 6 trees right? I would hope the main story would be able to knock at least one of those off without grinding.

LotusHD

Banned
Yep. 6 trees right? I would hope the main story would be able to knock at least one of those off without grinding.

Well either way, you naturally gain health and and increased gravity gauge as you proceed through the story, and some talismans basically give you the upgrades you would have gotten anyhow.

So in the end, not really a big deal if you're the type to not bother with any of the side content.

Humdinger

Feel good game of the year.

Even when the side missions are annoying and don't result in a decent reward (a cardboard box, thanks a bunch), I still end up chuckling and having a good time.

Baalzebup

Feel good game of the year.

Even when the side missions are annoying and don't result in a decent reward (a cardboard box, thanks a bunch), I still end up chuckling and having a good time.
Whatever their other rewards are, side missions contribute to gaining those level ups that give you more HP and gravity gauge. You don't gain a level for every one, but the side missions do give you levels.

Humdinger

Whatever their other rewards are, side missions contribute to gaining those level ups that give you more HP and gravity gauge. You don't gain a level for every one, but the side missions do give you levels.

Oh, that's good, I didn't know that. I'll have to watch my leveling gauge and stats -- assuming they are in the menu somewhere. I haven't even noticed them so far, just the occasional notification that I've gained a level.

cerulily

What a finale. Holy moly a rollercoaster of emotions for me. Fantastic game. And now i need to resolve server issues and start grinding tonnes of dusty tokens.

Biggest disappointment of this gen so far for me I'm afraid.

Messy story, dreadful and repetitive side-content (stealth and tailing ? WHY ??? Also fuck that stupid dog and his frisbee), main missions that go on forever and use shitty mechanics from the side missions or deprive you of your powers of force you to use the new powers that I found pretty much useless and annoying to use. Oh and also, maybe it was my mood of the moment, but I quickly got tired of being a lapdog for ungrateful and unlikable characters.

I loved and platinumed the first game, and would happily have had another round of the same kind of short and fun adventure. This time though I felt they just wanted to go bigger but used the worst ways possible to achieve their goals.

I forced myself to play until the end credits and will complete the Shiny Girl mission whenever there are no games I need to play. So, not for a long time.

Holy crap, do the shiny girl mission. You're so close to the end.

I went to Youtube to see what I had to do start the mission, and the guy's video was like 3 hours long to get to the end.

That's much more than I can handle right now.

I started Yakuza 0 and I'm actually having fun. I'll finish GR someday, it's not going anywhere, got it digitally.

Grisby

What a finale. Holy moly a rollercoaster of emotions for me. Fantastic game. And now i need to resolve server issues and start grinding tonnes of dusty tokens.
The server's been down all day for me. Just want to upload mah beautiful pics. :(
What is it with people and the dog side mission, my god lol...
It's not very fun. And a lot of people don't pick up that you have to let doggo sniff around.

The server's been down all day for me. Just want to upload mah beautiful pics. :(

It's not very fun. And a lot of people don't pick up that you have to let doggo sniff around.

Server will be down until "early next week" per the PlayStation Twitter.

It took me about 2 minutes to realize the dog had to be given time to sniff around at any given location, then a minute after that to progress. The next phase of it, the dog ran and found what we were looking for with literally no input from me whatsoever. People are just not observant.

Baalzebup

Oh, that's good, I didn't know that. I'll have to watch my leveling gauge and stats -- assuming they are in the menu somewhere. I haven't even noticed them so far, just the occasional notification that I've gained a level.
There is no gauge or number for leveling. You just get 'em now and then when you complete missions. Nor do your gravity gauge or HP have any numbers for them. They just... increase. One level is barely noticeable, but 5 levels, that is something you can notice.

ricelord

just beat the game, oh man i didn't see that coming lol.

the last 7 chapters remind me of asura's wrath but it not paid dlc.

Just beat the game and loved it. GR1 was one of my favorite games and I'm super glad they were able to finish the story proper and also not on the Vita, when the first game ended on that cliff hanger my heart sunk because I was sure there was never going to be a sequel. And I respect a game that goes out with a shit load of bosses back to back, especially nowadays when it feels like no one likes boss fights anymore. I need to go through now and get my 100%.

I did end up having a few gripes though. One is they over buffed the shit out of stasis, I know it was kinda useless in the first game, but god damn, by far the most efficient way to fight is to stand still and hammer circle. Then I feel like they could have trimmed some of the side missions (which I haven't done all of yet), most of them are a lot of fun and better than the first game's imo, but then I feel like I occasionally get caught in a really booooooring one like the movie star, the author, or any of the stealth ones (it seems they're always multipart to boot). The whole talisman/mining thing gave off an air of a chain smoking, pinstriped suit wearing, exec with his feet up on the desk saying "CRAFTING! LOOT! That's what the young folks like!" And finally the Dusty Coin system, which mostly just makes me worry about what a playthrough of the game is going to be like ten years from now when no one is out looking for 3000 coins worth of your treasure pics, or worse, the servers are down *cough*.

I'm just a negative person and tend to lay out everything I didn't like about something, idk why that's just what I focus on when I finish something, even if I adore it like this. 2017's gonna have to put in work to top it as far as I'm concerned.

I want Kat to be my friend

mollipen

Am I the only one that

I agree with you, but
we don't know that she actually saw Kat. There's still, for example, that "other" Kat. I think that was supposed to be Kat before she was split into Kat & Raven, but maybe not? Or maybe she's her own entity now? Or maybe what Raven saw isn't the real Kat? We have no real certain idea.

Dunan

Anyone have any hints for the Chapter 14 missiles that
you have to stop from hitting the tower in Vendecentre? Just when, after getting "game over" 15 times in a row trying various strategies, I think I've finally taken down all six, they throw three more at me from another direction and it's just too much. I've tried grabbing stuff on the ground, carrying it into the air and throwing it; getting close enough to the missiles to grab them and toss them aside Superman-style, and even trying to grab one missile and throwing it at the other one. Nothing is working consistently. One problem is that I often lose track of whether Kat is falling through the air or just hovering, and the missiles move faster than I fall, so I can't ever let them get between me and the building. Help
?

Milijango

you have to stop from hitting the tower in Vendecentre? Just when, after getting "game over" 15 times in a row trying various strategies, I think I've finally taken down all six, they throw three more at me from another direction and it's just too much. I've tried grabbing stuff on the ground, carrying it into the air and throwing it; getting close enough to the missiles to grab them and toss them aside Superman-style, and even trying to grab one missile and throwing it at the other one. Nothing is working consistently. One problem is that I often lose track of whether Kat is falling through the air or just hovering, and the missiles move faster than I fall, so I can't ever let them get between me and the building. Help
?

That's Mission 15, be careful. Don't want anyone getting spoiled.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
?
The game tells you to toss the missiles at each other. Just fly to one, grab, aim, and toss. Use x to fly faster. When you get to the odd numbers, toss one into the distance. It should be fairly simple, I cleared it the first time.

Top Bottom