• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

DylanEno

So, after beating the game, I elected to replay a mission. Is there a way to quit this mission and go back to Hekseville? Because now it seems like I'm locked into this autosaved mission.

So, after beating the game, I elected to replay a mission. Is there a way to quit this mission and go back to Hekseville? Because now it seems like I'm locked into this autosaved mission.
Can't you quit from the menu like you can during challenges? Haven't tried it yet but that's the only thing I can think of.

Ferr986

So now that I beaten GR2, this is how I feel about the game and comparing it with the first one

+ First of all, the game is gorgeous. I mean, not only it looks way better than GR1 tech wise, it's also way better art wise. Para Lao and the new Rifts have amazing art design.
+ Kat controls much better. Not only on movement, but also Stasis works like it should be, being an useful tool now.
+ The 2 new styles are a fun addition. Jupiter flesh out more the combat with lunar does it from traversal. They are still finely tuned so normal mode doesn't end up being useless.
+ Characters are still as charming as with the first one. Syd and Raven especially are better than in 1, and Kat is still as good as ever.
+ The online modes are cool, especially treasure hunting.

- I feel like the game has some many missions/quests that "blocks" you to using your powers too much. I guess they wanted more variety but the game is way better when the quests involves having all your powers available.
- Stealth... just why?
- Rift level design .
Pretty much all of them are challenge tables
. A big step down from GR1's rifts
- Story is bad IMO. The farther it goes the worse it gets. I guess that's why some people said "it goes full anime". Considering how much praise I see for the latest missions and ending, while I absolutely hated it, I guess it depends on how much you enjoy this style of writing. I liked the more down to earth (or maybe "not as crazy" is a better term lol) story of the first game.
- I still don' get what those mining sections are for :/

Honestly, right now I don't know which game I liked the most.

AwShucks

Beat it. Massive spoilers ahead.
Eto chapter really had me thinking "is this the back story they had for Kat internally when making the first"? Her being a queen a hundred years ago was a bit odd. So many bosses. I like the kind of unknown ending where they don't show Kat. The game is really three individual stories, and I kind of like that. My favorite probably being Hekseville but the game did not spend nearly enough time in the new town. It's massive and you're barely there.

For non spoilery stuff, I love the game as a whole. Gorgeous and barring some of the horrible camera issues, really fun. I might actually do some side stuff now.

Sat down, figured I'd advance the story a little while waiting for laundry to finish. Little did I know episode 18 would keep me for hours; totally missed the washer chiming at me and laundry took three hours longer than it should have.

I decided to try to replay that
drunken Aujean
sidequest to see if it would show me the after-quest event again, but no dice - you get transported back to the house right after finishing a mission replay. I still have a save before completing it, so I guess I'm hanging on to that if I want to see that again.

Kiro

Just started this game and am on mission 4 chapter 1. Already living it and from what you all say it gets much much better. Can't wait.

Prototype

Unused the white costume most of the game. It's awesome there are so many costumes, but Kats design is just so strong that most of the time I just prefer using it. The white also contracts really nicely against Raven, when she's around

Theswweet

Gah, apparently my Asian English LE came when I was out of town on Friday/Saturday. Gonna have to pick it up tomorrow before I head out to classes.

Beat it. Massive spoilers ahead.
Eto chapter really had me thinking "is this the back story they had for Kat internally when making the first"? Her being a queen a hundred years ago was a bit odd. So many bosses. I like the kind of unknown ending where they don't show Kat. The game is really three individual stories, and I kind of like that. My favorite probably being Hekseville but the game did not spend nearly enough time in the new town. It's massive and you're barely there.

For non spoilery stuff, I love the game as a whole. Gorgeous and barring some of the horrible camera issues, really fun. I might actually do some side stuff now.

Yeah, that's definitely the general backstory they had in mind. It was already hinted at in the first game that Kat was the queen of the city above Hekseville (from Cyanea's dream sequence) and from conversations with the travelers, it was revealed that a man climbed up the world pillar, spent years living there but when he came back, it only appeared like he was gone for a few days.

The specifics re: Xicero and Bit might have been different.

Plum

I've just arrived at the main open world area and to be honest I'm not feeling it. I felt similarly to GR1 (which I finished) in both its original Vita and Remastered forms. The base gameplay loop of gravity shifting and combat is, to me, more tedious than anything. It's a shame because the world, the characters and story are brilliant but after playing the demo there doesn't seem to be enough 'new' compared to GR1 for me to spend much more time with this. I'll play a few more side and main missions and decide whether I want to sell the game towards Yakuza 0 or Ni-Oh or continue onwards.

I've just arrived at the main open world area and to be honest I'm not feeling it. I felt similarly to GR1 (which I finished) in both its original Vita and Remastered forms. The base gameplay loop of gravity shifting and combat is, to me, more tedious than anything. It's a shame because the world, the characters and story are brilliant but after playing the demo there doesn't seem to be enough 'new' compared to GR1 for me to spend much more time with this. I'll play a few more side and main missions and decide whether I want to sell the game towards Yakuza 0 or Ni-Oh or continue onwards.

If you're there you don't even have 60% of gameplay unlocked. Way too soon to pass judgement.

DylanEno

So, what is your guys' favorite GR2 track and why is Night Gale?

I'll start. It's the most bombastic, breathtaking, beautiful series of noises I've heard in a video game since... idfk. It channels the dastardliness of Raven's history as an anti-hero / brainwashed villain while moving into the sweeping heroism as the track progresses in the most thrilling and spectacular way.

Not only is it a stellar, listenable track outside of the game, but it suits its sequence SO DAMN WELL. There wasn't a single moment in that game that felt so suitable to the battle and amped me up so damn much - and this is a game that's filled to the brim with that kind of thing. But yeah, Night Gale just took it to the next level, grabbed hold and never let go.

The trumpets, the electric guitar, the strings - holy hell, Kohei Tanaka is a G E N I U S. Night Gale is legitimately godlike in a soundtrack that has become one of my favorite VGM OSTs of all time. ALL TIME.

Ahem. Anyway. Thoughts?

Plum

If you're there you don't even have 60% of gameplay unlocked. Way too soon to pass judgement.

From what I've seen it's just the two styles and a few new moves. Sorry but I personally don't like how the game controls and feels; if you can get over that then great but I can't and the powers you use in the demo didn't really change that. I was genuinely excited for the game but the first few hours haven't exactly enthused me at all.

Lasty95

The real joy of this game, for me, is simply moving around this world with the most wonderful sensation of flight.

If you don't enjoy it on that basic level, I really don't think there's anything subsequently to change your mind.

I'm absolutely loving it though.

Plum

The real joy of this game, for me, is simply moving around this world with the most wonderful sensation of flight.

If you don't enjoy it on that basic level, I really don't think there's anything subsequently to change your mind.

I'm absolutely loving it though.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the game itself (though the camera issues are quite bad), just that the general flow of gameplay isn't for me. I'd rather stop soon than go through the story knowing there's little chance I will get much enjoyment out of it.

From what I've seen it's just the two styles and a few new moves. Sorry but I personally don't like how the game controls and feels; if you can get over that then great but I can't and the powers you use in the demo didn't really change that.

The demo doesn't even really scratch the surface on the use of the other two styles though (it only explains the kick moves and doesn't go into the movement tech at all), and
there's something else late game the demo doesn't cover at all
. You don't have a lot more to go before the styles start unlocking (and you start getting a picture of how the story will unfold, which is very much a slow burn). Might as well stick it out and see if it clicks better?

Plum

The demo doesn't even really scratch the surface on the use of the other two styles though (it only explains the kick moves and doesn't go into the movement tech at all). I don't know if it'll click better but you don't have a lot more to go before the styles start unlocking (and you start getting a picture of how the story will unfold, which is very much a slow burn). Might as well stick it out and see if it clicks better?

I'll stick it out, yeah; the value isn't going to drop too much in the time it'll take for me to get a better grip on all the mechanics. However, as I've said, after the entirety of GR1 the new mechanics are going to have to really change things up for me to continue playing much further.

Episode 9 was pure bliss. Lovely music, gorgeous environment, and
lunar style
is sooooooo goooooood.

Also, the Author sidequest 2 was great lol. And then I did the side quest for the lazy bodyguard where you have to chuck crates at goons and it was awful.

see5harp

Episode 9 was pure bliss. Lovely music, gorgeous environment, and
lunar style
is sooooooo goooooood.

Also, the Author sidequest 2 was great lol. And then I did the side quest for the lazy bodyguard where you have to chuck crates at goons and it was awful.

Yes, that bodyguard mission was probably the most annoyed I've been at the game including stealth missions. Why they wouldn't just design that section with rooftops without railings is confusing. Or design it so that the ability will allow objects to clip the environment (within reason). The way it's designed now forces you to either jump super high in the air or stand on the very ledge. Also the controls for switching different modes is bad.

Yeah, episode 9 was nice.

The bodyguard mission was cake. Just wait for them to come into sight and clock'em.

I think shifting styles could be more responsive but I've been able to transition into Lunar pretty quickly.

Rainy

Banned
Just started episode 14.

Man I feel like Kat is never properly appreciated wherever she goes. It's kinda sad how bad she's treated a lot of the time :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The rift trials kinda suck. I'm in...mission...
19 maybe?
Very few platforming challenges but many DEFEAT ALL ENEMIES or
fight this dumb lady using only your shit powers

muteki

Just got Lunar, so much fun. Hopefully can upgrade a bunch of stuff. Want to rocket jump everywhere.

Also, the pointing side mission was some hilarious stuff.

The rift trials kinda suck. I'm in...mission...
19 maybe?
Very few platforming challenges but many DEFEAT ALL ENEMIES or
fight this dumb lady using only your shit powers

Just finished that earlier today. There's definitely a fast way of dealing with it, but it might take a while to figure it out.
For the Lunar style fight I think I largely took to throwing objects at her while wormhole kicking when she stood still enough. For the Jupiter style fight I did a fully charged surge kick any time she gathered debris (you can kick right through it and she takes long enough you can do the full charge) and just blocked every other attack. Occasionally she puts herself in a position where you can get a ground combo on her, which does massive damage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And now the next mission blows. I think I'm about done. This is so frustrating. This is the only open world game I've ever enjoyed just flying around in the world more than the main story.

Yes, that bodyguard mission was probably the most annoyed I've been at the game including stealth missions. Why they wouldn't just design that section with rooftops without railings is confusing. Or design it so that the ability will allow objects to clip the environment (within reason). The way it's designed now forces you to either jump super high in the air or stand on the very ledge. Also the controls for switching different modes is bad.

Throwing things in general is kind of annoying, and I'm on the fence whether those annoyances make sense given the context or not. My expectation, I think, was that throwing something at a target when it's highlighted and within line of sight should always work. But because it always fires objects from wherever its current location is, there's always a chance it'll clip level geometry. There's also a chance, if you mash the circle button, that you'll pick an object up and IMMEDIATELY try to throw it from wherever it is, even if it's relatively far away/out of view. That more often than not fails because it hits something you couldn't even see from your perspective.

I think I'd be more okay with this if you had an idea of which object was next to be thrown/dropped. This would also incidentally help with the
rich-lady-moving
sidequest. As it is, it's kind of a crapshoot; you don't really have a lot of control over whether an object hits something or not.

And now the next mission blows. I think I'm about done. This is so frustrating. This is the only open world game I've ever enjoyed just flying around in the world more than the main story.

I think I know what part is frustrating you and if I'm right,
you should look around for things to launch at the eyes when Kali starts screaming. Jupiter kicks can work too, I think.

Grisby

I think I'm just going to stick with story missions now until the end. At episode 18.

After 20 something hours I feel like I've focused way too much on clearing out the sidequests before moving on to the next main mission. I appreciate the fact that they tried to add some variety but a lot of times, especially in
Herksville
, I've just been bored.

My problem is that these sidequests are often a really shining point for Kat's character, showing just how good of a person she really is. In the latter half you also
meet a ton of old faces from the first game that's cool.

In a way, I've actually been looking at them as little visual novel bits.

Not all the quests are terrible, but I struggle to think of any one of them that I really liked due to the mechanics and not the little story slices. I wish they would have focused more on quality than quantity and incorporated your powers in a more interesting way.

The stealth missions for example aren't hard at all, but they often go on for too long. Also, I think it was a mistake not giving out gems as rewards.

Anyways, I still really like the game, and I hear it's about to get crazy which is what I'm waiting for.
It's just that, of all the side missions to vent/complain about, this is the main one huh...

I just find it funny lol
Yeah, it's one that is picked out a lot.
Server will be down until "early next week" per the PlayStation Twitter.

It took me about 2 minutes to realize the dog had to be given time to sniff around at any given location, then a minute after that to progress. The next phase of it, the dog ran and found what we were looking for with literally no input from me whatsoever. People are just not observant.
Bah, I'm at 200 something Dusty coins too. Wanted the 300 costume.

Baalzebup

Nice. Delvool Mining Trench layer 26 boss:
Night Gale round 2
And Layer 27 is
the funny duel with Fi from chapter 4? We doing a Boss Rush now?

Just got Jupiter Style and went up to episode 13.

Shit got real. I generally enjoyed it despite some camera issues and one annoying section. Dat powa.

this stealth mission with the birds though. I don't even understand how play testers even thought this was designed well.
Yea, that was annoying. Like, really?

this stealth mission with the birds though. I don't even understand how play testers even thought this was designed well.

I'm positive I didn't do this one correctly. I just bum rushed her and hit circle before she could react. It worked on about the 4th or 5th try (which itself was 4 or 5 tries after I figured out the correct route around the birds).

Could I skip the original? I have it on the Vita via PS+ and couldn't get into it.

This some seems more substantive.

I mean, the original was a cohesive story that this game builds on and doesn't always bother to recap things that happened in the original game, so you'll probably not understand some of the story if you completely skip it. I'd honestly suggest finishing Remastered but if the choice is to play 2 or play nothing, I'd play 2.

Nydius

I mean, the original was a cohesive story that this game builds on and doesn't always bother to recap things that happened in the original game, so you'll probably not understand some of the story if you completely skip it. I'd honestly suggest finishing Remastered but if the choice is to play 2 or play nothing, I'd play 2.

I agree with this but I'd go further and ask: Why couldn't you get into it, entremet? Was it the gameplay design? The controls? The story? Because largely GR2 builds on the same foundation so if you couldn't get into the game because of the gravity shifting control system, you'll likely fall into the same disappointment with GR2. While they add styles over the course of the game, the core mechanics between GR1 and GR2 are the same throughout.

tonypark

I feel like i am fighting the controls in this game 90% of the time. The terrible tedious side quests and stealth segments doesn't help.

I am close to the end. I am enjoying it still... kind of.

I gave up on doing any side quests specially since the rewards are trash and useless.

N° 2048

I think it's official, this game is solely propped up on the art/characters/writing/style for me. Gameplay is just getting to be a chore. Episode
14/15
had me wait in line, more stealth and now I'm flying a little girl around for who know what reason...this is the main quest?

Please tell me I get to actually fight Nevi soon...

pixelbox

People are getting the wrong idea with this game. It wants you to get absorbed in the atmosphere with includes day to day life in the world. It's a little loose but if you really just want to play for story, play mining and main story and skip the side missions.

Also i believe due to the unique mechanics, the game needs a second play through.

I think it's official, this game is solely propped up on the art/characters/writing/style for me. Gameplay is just getting to be a chore. Episode
14/15
had me wait in line, more stealth and now I'm flying a little girl around for who know what reason...this is the main quest?

Man, you have no idea.

LotusHD

Banned
14/15

Kat's the type of person that goes out of her way to make a little girl smile. From my perspective it's charming as fuck, but I can see why mundane stuff like that would turn someone off.

Top Bottom