• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

She drops into the black ocean and becomes a singularity with it, so she can stop it from rising :/

This happens so quickly that it feels like a writing mistake. You basically get one quick conversation and some graphic panels and that's it. Even after playing that mission twice, it feels like something crucial is missing.

played it twice to try and get a screenshot of Kat on fire because FUCK YEAH

Ferr986

This happens so quickly that it feels like a writing mistake. You basically get one quick conversation and some graphic panels and that's it. Even after playing that mission twice, it feels like something crucial is missing.

played it twice to try and get a screenshot of Kat on fire because FUCK YEAH

Yeah
It's jarring because the game is told by Kat's PoV but weirdly we don't see that conversation with Blit about the singularity when it happened.

Same with the black void suddenly being there so quickly when it's supposed to rise gradually (considering what they say the sky citizens about how much time it will take the void to reach them).

I feel like they added that later in development when they saw this was gonna be the last GR game, because they thought bringing closure = sort of killing the character (but with a bait at the end just in case).

Dave1988

Yeah
It's jarring because the game is told by Kat's PoV but weirdly we don't see that conversation with Blit about the singularity when it happened.

Same with the black void suddenly being there so quickly when it's supposed to rise gradually (considering what they say the sky citizens about how much time it will take the void to reach them).

I feel like they added that later in development when they saw this was gonna be the last GR game, because they thought bringing closure = sort of killing the character (but with a bait at the end just in case).

You have to remember that time flies slower for the sky city. Additionally, the king turning into the physical manifestation of the Darkness might have drastically accelerated the process.

Also, I assume that that particular conversation with Blit happens while you're in control of Raven.

N° 2048

Holy shit Episode 17/18.

So gooood.

giphy.gif

Ferr986

You have to remember that time flies slower for the sky city. Additionally, the king turning into the physical manifestation of the Darkness might have drastically accelerated the process.

Also, I assume that that particular conversation with Blit happens while you're in control of Raven.

isn't it the other way around? times flows slower the lower you are.

Also, the void appears at Hekseville before the final boss, it "suddenly" appears when you're talking to the shinny girl.

I thought Raven fight happens while Kat is in the maze thingy but yeah it can be as you said. It's weird though that they hide that until the end (well, other than the shock value)

Also, the void appears at Hekseville before the final boss, it "suddenly" appears when you're talking to the shinny girl.

I thought Raven fight happens while Kat is in the maze thingy but yeah it can be as you said. It's weird though that they hide that until the end (well, other than the shock value)

We might want to take this to the spoiler thread at some point, but:

Raven's fight with Elektricitie happens while Kat is in the maze, and well before Kat dives into the dark ocean. And yes, time flows slower the lower you are; Kat only spends a few years down below but has been missing from Eto for a century. People in Eto also mention that because of the time effects, the dark ocean moves more slowly the lower it is.

Dave1988

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's the higher you go, the slower the passing of time becomes. That's why Kat tries to rescue the people of the lower strata in the first place. For the citizens of the sky city, the rise of the gravity ocean is something that won't be an issue for thousands of year, yet for the people below it's an imminent danger.

EDIT: Actually, you're quite right. Disregard my post lol

Kindekuma

Banned
Are the servers back up yet? ;_;

I haven't played since it went down. Been distracted by Bloodborne.
I have to finish those last 7 main story missions.

Only thing I need for the platinum is one Giant Nevi "Strange Gravitational Event" spawn in Candle Zone that didn't happen for the last two hours......

Stupid unnecessary design choice.

Hope the patch/maintenance resolves this because I want to put a bow on this game and move on to other things until the March update hits.

calder

Got this late thanks to stupid Amazon.ca but wow am I loving it. Just falling around looking for gems for an hour was so damn relaxing and fun.

That giant nevi in Zone 0 or whatever kicked my ass though. I may need to play the story a bit more and get some upgrades or else learn a new skill, I didn't have a chance and that spawn is so damn far from the nevi it's extra punishing to fail. :p

N° 2048

Ok I just realized, at Episode 19...that I have only bought two Power upgrades and I'm running around with like 5000 gems.

I should probably upgrade stuff rofl

Ok I just realized, at Episode 19...that I have only bought two Power upgrades and I'm running around with like 5000 gems.

I should probably upgrade stuff rofl

Yeah, the game doesn't force you to get upgrades since most of the skills are already available.
The good thing is that I didn't have to mine at all.

Yeah, the game doesn't force you to get upgrades since most of the skills are already available.
The good thing is that I didn't have to mine at all.

Hell, I managed to nearly max out the gravity kick tree and hit 60% on dodge/gravity slide, and I didn't have to mine either. I had one mining session just to see what it was like when ore deposits were high, and then every other time I've gone to a mining area it was to fight a giant Nevi.

wouwie

I'm at episode 19 or so, about 20 hours and 40% completion and i feel it's time to stop playing. I'm so bad at this game that i wonder if i should quit gaming and find a new hobby. The gameplay (controls, gravity slide, lack of lock-on, camera,...) just doesn't seem to work for me, no matter how long i play. It all works well until there is combat and/or time constraints, at which point it becomes a mess.

Also, Gravity Rush 2 reminds me why i rarely play and enjoy open world games (except Read Dead Redemption). It's filled with missions that are just busy work type of things that aren't particulary fun or exciting. Even the main missions are stretched out way too long and feel repetitive (was episode 19 really needed?). Gravity Rush 1 felt like a linear and tight experience which happened to take place in an open world.

By far the strongest part of Gravity Rush 2 is everything except the gameplay. The presentation is just wonderful with a fantastic soundtrack, great visuals (both ingame and dialogue cutscenes) and atmosphere, attention to detail, a unique setting with weird and wonderful characters. It's obvious that a lot of hard work, passion and love was put into making this game and it shows.

black070

I'm at episode 19 or so, about 20 hours and 40% completion and i feel it's time to stop playing. I'm so bad at this game that i wonder if i should quit gaming and find a new hobby. The gameplay (controls, lack of lock-on, camera,...) just doesn't seem to work for me, no matter how long i play.

Also, Gravity Rush 2 reminds me why i rarely play and enjoy open world games (except Read Dead Redemption). It's filled with missions that are just busy work type of things that aren't particulary fun or exciting. Even the main missions are stretched out way too long and feel repetitive (was episode 19 really needed?). Gravity Rush 1 felt like a linear and tight experience which happened to take place in an open world.

By far the strongest part of Gravity Rush 2 is everything except the gameplay. The presentation is just wonderful with a fantastic soundtrack, great visuals (both ingame and dialogue cutscenes) and atmosphere, attention to detail, a unique setting with weird and wonderful characters. It's obvious that a lot of hard work, passion and love was put into making this game and it shows.

My friend you are on the final stretch of the main missions, don't give up now !

ZarKryn7

Yep, gotcha. You're right, GR:R did have simplified collision geometry relative to the visible object, which made it easier to walk across without tripping here and there and having the camera sometimes freak out like in GR2. I'm not sure which I'd rather have, as I appreciate the ease of GR:R's traversal, but also appreciate the intricacy of GR2's. Probably a balance to strike there.

I gotta say man. Bluepoint has done quite a lot of good if not great things for PlayStation. I hope Sony contracts them more when it comes to technical stuff like these.

wouwie

My friend you are on the final stretch of the main missions, don't give up now !

I might pick it up again later (i'm not selling the game). I played 20 hours and really tried to enjoy myself and get better at it. I liked GR1 quite a lot and i have a fondness for the franchise, mostly because of the presentation, unique world, cast of characters,... but episode 19, which was just a rehash of other episodes, felt like one too many for now.

black070

I might pick it up again later (i'm not selling the game). I played 20 hours and really tried to enjoy myself and get better at it. I liked GR1 quite a lot and i have a fondness for the franchise, mostly because of the presentation, unique world, cast of characters,... but episode 19, which was just a rehash of other episodes, felt like one too many for now.

If you're a fan of the first, believe me it is worth seeing it through to the end - you only have
main missions to go. :)

ironmang

If you're a fan of the first, believe me it is worth seeing it through to the end - you only have
main missions to go. :)

lol seriously? heard it was
episodes total to credits. If I can stop there that's what I'm going to do since I just want to get some kind of ending so I can trade this in.

Humdinger

I can feel the heart and love that was put into the game when in comes down to the characters themselves, the animation, the world, the art, the music. And... I think that's enough for me to have me keep playing aside from where the plot goes on the 2nd and the 3rd arc.

Right now in the industry. We don't get much of Animated style driven character action games. And.. I'd like to see more of that. World with eye-candy art, stylish animation, arcady gameplay, melodious music, and a great story with a stylish presentation that blends with the game rather than interfering it. Man, I'm a sucka for styles.

That's nicely said. That's a great part of what appeals to me about the game, too -- the art style, the music, the stylish presentation, the eye candy, the "heart" put into the characters and mini-stories themselves. It's very unique.

black070

lol seriously? heard it was
episodes total to credits. If I can stop there that's what I'm going to do since I just want to get some kind of ending so I can trade this in.

It would be a shame not to see it through to completion, especially if you have played the first.

N° 2048

I'm at episode 19 or so, about 20 hours and 40% completion and i feel it's time to stop playing. I'm so bad at this game that i wonder if i should quit gaming and find a new hobby. The gameplay (controls, gravity slide, lack of lock-on, camera,...) just doesn't seem to work for me, no matter how long i play. It all works well until there is combat and/or time constraints, at which point it becomes a mess.

It's crazy, I love this game so much but also can't stand it at the same time. I'm at Episode 20 and it's just a constant battle against the camera fighting giant
mutated Kali
. I wish the camera would just stay in place when you're in the air, instead I have to smash R3 to get any type of orientation so I can get. The game is still locking you out of powers at this point too, feels like a tutorial when that happens.

and why oh why is there no lock-on feature?

This game is like The Last Guardian for me, everything is 100% amazing except the actual gameplay. It really sucks because I usually love side quests, especially the day to day life ones like in GR2 but it's just a battle against the camera/controls so I won't be doing them once I'm done the main story. I'll come back to them another time. I really wanted to unlock all costumes :(

This game is giving me such a weird conflicting feeling...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh the Giant Nevi hunt is frustrating and random. I know I killed 5 but the trophy hasn't popped up. 3 of those are repeats in Mine 0 and 13. Does that count?

Tang

Neo Member
Urgh the Giant Nevi hunt is frustrating and random. I know I killed 5 but the trophy hasn't popped up. 3 of those are repeats in Mine 0 and 13. Does that count?

It has to be killed in all 5 mining sites. The giant nevi will pop in them with the gravity storm once the gravity concentration reaches 6+ stars.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It has to be killed in all 5 mining sites. The giant nevi will pop in them with the gravity storm once the gravity concentration reaches 6+ stars.

How do I increase the star ranking for the other sites? I never got a gravity concentration in the other sites except for Mining Site 0 and 13.

Tang

Neo Member
How do I increase the star ranking for the other sites? I never got a gravity concentration in the other sites except for Mining Site 0 and 13.

The only way I noticed was just the passing of time irl, I would check back every few hours and saw the 2*s were 4*s, I made the mistake of not doing them when they first popped and they ended up disappearing and didn't show up again until it was my last trophy.

ironmang

It would be a shame not to see it through to completion, especially if you have played the first.

eh, only reason i kept going after chapter
is i thought i was halfway done. now that im getting close to that point im just going to quit there instead of
doing side missions to unlock 7 more episodes that probably are more of the same boring missions i already played
. i'll just catch the true ending or whatever on youtube if someone puts up a cutscene movie.

Weiss

Banned
eh, only reason i kept going after chapter
is i thought i was halfway done. now that im getting close to that point im just going to quit there instead of
doing side missions to unlock 7 more episodes that probably are more of the same boring missions i already played
. i'll just catch the true ending or whatever on youtube if someone puts up a cutscene movie.

You don't have to do side missions to unlock the post-21 missions, and missions 22 through 27 take about three or four hours to complete in total. It's all very story driven by that point and answers the questions burning from GR1.

GR2 is a little too bloated, I can't argue with that, but I think it's worth seeing through to the end. The Side Missions fucking suck though.

ironmang

You don't have to do side missions to unlock the post-21 missions, and missions 22 through 27 take about three or four hours to complete in total. It's all very story driven by that point and answers the questions burning from GR1.

GR2 is a little too bloated, I can't argue with that, but I think it's worth seeing through to the end. The Side Missions fucking suck though.

sounds like a good reason for me to watch that cutscene movie then whenever it's put up. ive given enough time to the game hoping it gets better and im planning on trading it in at 8:30 tonight assuming i beat these last 2 episodes. like i said, ill go until credits then im done playing.

Gravidee

Shame that some people are having such trouble with the gameplay. I must be lucky since my only real issues have been the camera and lunar wormhole lock on. I admit that a number of the side mission designs could have been better. But I've never had to redo 15+ times on stealth or other missions as I've been hearing on this forum. Usually it only takes me 3 or so tries if there's a particular challenge.

Blobbers

man the Thanks Day mission was so touching

I'm really liking the game so far even though I've mostly been roaming and taking pictures in my 6-7 hours. I hope the game keeps up with a lot of quirky and character-centric side missions like Thanks Day, Syd's project and vendor booth. Oh and perv grandpa

Weiss

Banned

Let me rephrase.

A handful of side missions are really good, provide interesting challenges, and have good world building and interesting scenarios, like the one where you bust an occultist ring of high school girls, or the waitress quests where you Stasis Field people and toss them at a stand.

The majority are just faffing about doing nothing, fetch quests, and following slow moving NPCs and getting spotted from a mile away.

And worse, there's no way to vet the good from the bad. You just have to slog your way through them in the hopes they land a new costume or a health upgrade, rather than getting a new prop for photos.

LotusHD

Banned
Let me rephrase.

A handful of side missions are really good, provide interesting challenges, and have good world building and interesting scenarios, like the one where you bust an occultist ring of high school girls, or the waitress quests where you Stasis Field people and toss them at a stand.

The majority are just faffing about doing nothing, fetch quests, and following slow moving NPCs and getting spotted from a mile away.

And worse, there's no way to vet the good from the bad. You just have to slog your way through them in the hopes they land a new costume or a health upgrade, rather than getting a new prop for photos.

Now that's more of a fair statement, though I disagree to a small extent. Which is fine, I can see why some may dislike the majority of them, though I'm certainly not a part of those who do.

Ahhhhh the old side quest discourse

I'm firmly of the opinion that if the side quests take advantage of whatever the games' main mechanic is, and that mechanic is fun, then it doesn't matter how banal the context for said quest is.

So for example, all those "deliveries" in mirror's edge catalyst were really fun to me because they required you to use your knowledge of the city to traverse a route in a small time limit. Fun stuff.

tsundoku

For as far as some of the GR2 main/sidequests go in giving you tasks that are a little confusing / aggravating / limiting your powers, GR1 has so many more times when they just completely take away your shifting powers, fields, slides, kicks, etc

Being limited to just one power in GR2 is much better

Yopis

Having no issue with controls here. Never had issue on Vita with the first game either. You just need to know where you are in your head so to speak. I never get disoriented.

Forgot how much I missed this series. Having a blast all these years later.

LotusHD

Banned
You just have to slog your way through them in the hopes they land a new costume or a health upgrade, rather than getting a new prop for photos.

Oh, and is there another point where we certainly differ, as I don't do the sidequests just for the sake of rewards.
Although I obviously want those costumes...
I actively seek them out because I'm genuinely interested in what the next scenario they'll put me in will be. It's pretty much the main thing I want out of sidequests. Like it can be a fetch quest or whatever, but if it actually has an interesting story to tell, or charming/clever/humorous writing and situations, I'll likely love it. This is the first game in who knows how long where I actually felt compelled to complete every single sidequest, and as a result, I did just that. The only other game that made me feel similar to Witcher 3, but that just had way too many. Neat rewards are just a bonus for me.

That being said, I don't blame anyone who prioritizes the mechanics of said sidequests over everything else (Nor do they have to love every single side mission, I disliked the last one I did myself), as generally I would too. Although to be frank, I have low expectations in general of a game forcing you to use your powers in a creative way, hence I focus more on wanting a good or charming story first and foremost. But every time I got close to really getting irritated with a few of them, how the quests would end up concluding usually just put a smile on my face and made me more or less forget about it.

What I liked about the side missions in this game, is that it pretty much had it all. Times where you used your powers in ways you wouldn't expect, times where they just stripped it away completely but still made it interesting, etc. etc.

Unknown?

Just beat it! The ending missions were awesome! Overall like it a lot but there were a few missions that I hated but only a very small few!

Top Bottom