• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Kat's the type of person that goes out of her way to make a little girl smile. From my perspective it's charming as fuck, but I can see why mundane stuff like that would turn someone off.

It definitely reminded me of this:

dNy4BBK.jpg

0ctrONe.jpg

ZarKryn7

The game has tech issues no doubt that I wish team gravity learned from bluepoint with the remaster. Frame dips a lot. When you shift your gravity into a plane, the details of it such as the windows of building can glitch you up badly. When a plane curves you do not stick along with it most of the time, think of Ratchet and clank with the gravity levels.

These tech issues are definitely things that will turn off a lot of people. And I don't blame you.

So.. why did I beat it? Why did I cope with it? Why did I let these inexcusable tech issues slide?
While the care component in this game is pretty low. I can feel the heart and love that was put into the game when in comes down to the characters themselves, the animation, the world, the art, the music. And... I think that's enough for me to have me keep playing aside from where the plot goes on the 2nd and the 3rd arc.

Right now in the industry. We don't get much of Animated style driven character action games. And.. I'd like to see more of that. World with eye-candy art, stylish animation, arcady gameplay, melodious music, and a great story with a stylish presentationthat blends with the game rather than interfering it. Man, I'm a sucka for styles.

N° 2048

The game has tech issues no doubt that I wish team gravity learned from bluepoint with the remaster. Frame dips a lot. When you shift your gravity into a plane, the details of it such as the windows of building can glitch you up badly. When a plane curves you do not stick along with it most of the time, think of Ratchet and clank with the gravity levels.

These tech issues are definitely things that will turn off a lot of people. And I don't blame you.

So.. why did I beat it? Why did I cope with it? Why did I let these inexcusable tech issues slide?
While the care component in this game is pretty low. I can feel the heart and love that was put into the game when in comes down to the characters themselves, the animation, the world, the art, the music. And... I think that's enough for me to have me keep playing aside from where the plot goes on the 2nd and the 3rd arc.

Right now in the industry. We don't get much of Animated style driven character action games. And.. I'd like to see more of that. World with eye-candy art, stylish animation, arcady gameplay, melodious music, and a great story with a stylish presentationthat blends with the game rather than interfering it. Man, I'm a sucka for styles.

Well said.

etrain911

Is it just me or are treasure hunts and the like not working for anyone else? I'm in
Hekseville
if that has anything to do with it.

see5harp

I'm positive I didn't do this one correctly. I just bum rushed her and hit circle before she could react. It worked on about the 4th or 5th try (which itself was 4 or 5 tries after I figured out the correct route around the birds).

I finally realized that it's a simple is she looking or not thing. You basically have to be behind a planter when she turns her head. Game doesn't communicate that very well though.als

EDIT: I will probably stick with this game until the end just for the sake of finishing but that last episode in Chapter II had extreme problems with the camera and frame rate. I nearly had a headache at the end of that. It's nearly impossible to get through any section of that without hitting a wall. They probably should have just made the level wider.

LotusHD

Banned
Welp, adding "A Game of Gravity" to my top 10 side missions in this game lol

EDIT: Fuck, I finished all the side missions...

While I generally agree that there are some technical issues with the game (camera in Ch 12 comes to mind), I'm not sure about the examples you're giving.

I realize it doesn't help anyone to say "well, I didn't have that issue" - and I am playing on a Pro - but I've only had one noticeable frame drop in 30-some-odd hours, where a bunch of things popped off and exploded at once during a huge fight. I don't doubt that it happens a little bit here and there, but the motion blur and speed effects seem to cover up anything that would otherwise stick out.

The gravity shifting troubles make more sense if you think of it exactly as you described it - shifting into a plane. In Ratchet, you're sticking to a contiguous surface designed to be stuck to by special boots (I think this is what you're talking about, since I can't remember any other gravity mechanic from R&C, even though I only played it a month or so ago. Correct me if I'm wrong!). In Gravity Rush, you're choosing which direction will pull you towards it, not which object/structure, so unless you constantly switch which direction that is, then it stands to reason that walking over an curved surface would yield different results at different angles. I can see that being a convenience issue, absolutely, but in context of what's meant to be happening, it makes perfect sense.

Glad you beat it though, and agree with everything else :D

I'm on a Pro playing in 4K mode and whilst the game generally runs fine it majorly chugs at some particular points. Namely in the battle with the multiple gravity storms(each with a Nevi Arm coming out) near the beginning of the 'second area' of the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
god the platinum is a grind. how do i get the giant nevis to appear more frequently? i was only able to kill 3.

Strings

god the platinum is a grind. how do i get the giant nevis to appear more frequently? i was only able to kill 3.

Just to make sure, you're killing the ones that appear in the generic 'Mining Site 0.13', 'Candle Place', etc, right? The ones that award talismans when you kill them, and not the giant green dudes?

I think the game gives you 2-3 new mining phenomena every 24 hours (at least, this seemed like what was happening), so you just need to clear each one once.

Also, I just got the platinum, hooray!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just to make sure, you're killing the ones that appear in the generic 'Mining Site 0.13', 'Candle Place', etc, right? The ones that award talismans when you kill them, and not the giant green dudes?

I think the game gives you 2-3 new mining phenomena every 24 hours (at least, this seemed like what was happening), so you just need to clear each one once.

Also, I just got the platinum, hooray!

Yeah I'm killing those. Hopefully the next 2 will spawn later when I boot up the game.

God do I want to platinum this game already. I'm pushing to 50 hours already lol.

ricelord

Finally plat the game, i had a nice time doing so besides some camera issues and some bad side quests and the big ass grind for gems.

when i think about make no sense, why is gem collector a gold trophy while power kat is a silver? Hell by time you get the gem collector trophy you gonna need about over 30k more gems for the next trophy.

Finally got to dig into this over the weekend. The Gravity Rush series just nails the feeling of flying for me. There's something about the way Kat tumbles through the air that makes it feel so natural. I love that you can fly between the different levels without load times. And good god the colors! 10/10 so far.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH....

Doing mission 12 now, I think I can safely say I hate both of the different shifting styles, or at the very least the missions that introduced them.

abrack08

So for those with the platinum, how much of a grind is it to get the gems to fully power up Kat? I just beat the game yesterday, only 2 challenge missions I haven't done yet and I spent a lot of time gem hunting already... I'm only at ~45k and it seems like I'd still need another 35-40k... Are there even that many gems in game? Do you just spend HOURS mining ore?

Finally beat it and man

I just can't deal with this ending. That last picture in the credits alludes to Kat making it back alive but the vagueness is so unsettling. What a journey, though. It's so rare that I really get attached to characters in video games and I love just about all of them in this game.

Ferr986

Finally beat it and man

I just can't deal with this ending. That last picture in the credits alludes to Kat making it back alive but the vagueness is so unsettling. What a journey, though. It's so rare that I really get attached to characters in video games and I love just about all of them in this game.

ending spoilers
She turns into a singularity, no way she can go back to normal that easily. But they put it simply for that, ambiguity. My personal theory is that she turns into black haired Kat (the one that helps you in the Rift) and she's like a kind of time-dimension weird nevy entity (yeah I know, we enter in time paradox crazyness, but considering they did the singularity stuff I don't think they cared much about it).

I felt like the singularity part was really bad, it's pulled from thin air at the last second just for the feels. They could have done way better if they wanted to kill/making Kat dissapear for the ambiguity of her fate.

ending spoilers
She turns into a singularity, no way she can go back to normal that easily. But they put it simply for that, ambiguity. My personal theory is that she turns into black haired Kat (the one that helps you in the Rift) and she's like a kind of time-dimension weird nevy entity (yeah I know, we enter in time paradox crazyness, but considering they did the singularity stuff I don't think they cared much about it).

I felt like the singularity part was really bad, it's pulled from thin air at the last second just for the feels. They could have done way better if they wanted to kill/making Kat dissapear for the ambiguity of her fate.

I had a similar idea. Kat became a singularity so she can't be the same. This is one reason why they don't actually show her and only her shadow at the end of the game. Maybe she has returned a Creator. The theory of the black-haired car actually kinda makes sense.

The game definitely has some plot issues but overall I thought the story was fantastic. It has similar problems the first game had with unexplained plot threads but I feel like 2 resolves a lot more and at the very least alludes to things that we can make connections to
Like the Seghassi? Paintings explaining how the world and Nevi were created

It has other issues. Repetition of side quests, pretty bad stealth sections. I know a lot of reviewers complained about losing powers but it always made sense from a narrative perspective and never bothered me. I think it does a LOT of things extremely well enough to make up for it's shortcomings and ended up being a fantastic game. Honestly, even better than I expected it to be. Likely one of my favorite games this gen along with The Witcher 3.

Baalzebup

I really hope the patch addresses the weird-ass targeting priority when one is fighting around those ore nodes, as right now they are prioritized over the Nevi cores. Nothing like using the Spiralling Claw super with plenty of Nevi around only to have Kat ignore them completely and instead bounce from one ore node to the next.

I really hope the patch addresses the weird-ass targeting priority when one is fighting around those ore nodes, as right now they are prioritized over the Nevi cores. Nothing like using the Spiralling Claw super with plenty of Nevi around only to have Kat ignore them completely and instead bounce from one ore node to the next.
That, and more Dusty Tokens is all I really want.

I think the problem with stealth is that it feels like it's completely arbitrary when ships can and can't see you. I was doing a mission in Ch 10 where I was encouraged to
free the prisoners from every cell. For some reason I think my game glitched and they disappeared, so I attempting to look at cells higher up.
Every time I approached them I got alerted that I was seen by the ships. Once that section ended, I could safely go right next to them to progress to the next area.

tsundoku

http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/gravitydaze/project/2017/01/20170201maintenance.html

They are trying to finish this server maintenance by 1/31 20:00 and going to release a patch.
patch. good. thank you. please fix dusty tokens and maybe picture hints (i ended up just looking up a few of them :( )

am I crazy or did I not read something about dusty tokens being findable "in levels" as well as the online features before the game came out, was that just about the treasure hunts? I kept expecting to find some bundle of dusty tokens in daily challenges or in the story missions tucked away in a box.

targetting around ores is definitely weird, I find not wearing the talismans that widen the auto lockon of the kicks actually make the kicks way better and with the wider lockon I bump into geometry a lot more. Especially on that one combat challenge arena against black garbed ground/flying soldiers and nevi, that one's really evil to even gold let alone set records on.

Glad i'm done with the photo "exploration" now, I found looking for the green nevi and travellers in GR1 to be lots of fun without a guide but the photos really aggravating, I kept expecting to get "challenged" by things like having to set up a photo with kat or photo items or stasis fields but it was just really hard to locate half of those npcs, Lei Elgona and Lei Colmonosa could stand to have half of the floating islands that they do have.
I started mining and actually searching for the gravity storms and rare nevi and the game is much funner again using all your resources in the open arenas of the mining sites // testing out all the cool random talisman effects

I think the problem with stealth is that it feels like it's completely arbitrary when ships can and can't see you. I was doing a mission in Ch 10 where I was encouraged to
free the prisoners from every cell. For some reason I think my game glitched and they disappeared, so I attempting to look at cells higher up.
Every time I approached them I got alerted that I was seen by the ships. Once that section ended, I could safely go right next to them to progress to the next area.

A lot of those sections they want you to do a very specific way and the air boats are he games obnoxious way of reinforcing that

Strings

So for those with the platinum, how much of a grind is it to get the gems to fully power up Kat? I just beat the game yesterday, only 2 challenge missions I haven't done yet and I spent a lot of time gem hunting already... I'm only at ~45k and it seems like I'd still need another 35-40k... Are there even that many gems in game? Do you just spend HOURS mining ore?

I found roughly 65k in the world, while being extremely exhaustive (and getting the 60k trophy about episode 20). Then repeated the first bit of episode 19 for about an hour and change to get to the ~83k(?) needed.

I found roughly 65k in the world, while being extremely exhaustive (and getting the 60k trophy about episode 20). Then repeated the first bit of episode 19 for about an hour and change to get to the ~83k(?) needed.
That seems pretty fast. I'll put a video in the background and just grind away. I'll keep the gems in the world for when I'm in the mood to play GR2 again :D

By the way, the part in episode 10 where
the big cannon opened up and threatened the Banga settlement
reminded me heavily of Panzer Dragoon.

ULTROS!

How do I farm gems quickly? Mining is incredibly slow for me because I only get the small gems (1 gem).

Milijango

So, some French bought the game. That's the top 5 for the release week.

Z5VHPWT.jpg

Good to hear. A French youtube channel with 1.5 million subscribers is doing an LP - wonder what that does? Actually I've seen more than a few French Gravity Rush 2 LPs from channels of varying sizes.

I've just finished Mission 17 and (opinions:)
I'm not over the moon about anything in Chapter 3: I came to Hekseville expecting a resolution to the first game but none of that has been touched after 6 missions. Sidequests now come in batches of 5 and they're not as enjoyable as they had been in Jirga, probably because the setting Hekseville itself doesn't have many stories left to offer. Still relishing pretty much every moment I get to spend with this game, and even this section is miles ahead of anything in the first game.

ZarKryn7

While I generally agree that there are some technical issues with the game (camera in Ch 12 comes to mind), I'm not sure about the examples you're giving.

I realize it doesn't help anyone to say "well, I didn't have that issue" - and I am playing on a Pro - but I've only had one noticeable frame drop in 30-some-odd hours, where a bunch of things popped off and exploded at once during a huge fight. I don't doubt that it happens a little bit here and there, but the motion blur and speed effects seem to cover up anything that would otherwise stick out.

The gravity shifting troubles make more sense if you think of it exactly as you described it - shifting into a plane. In Ratchet, you're sticking to a contiguous surface designed to be stuck to by special boots (I think this is what you're talking about, since I can't remember any other gravity mechanic from R&C, even though I only played it a month or so ago. Correct me if I'm wrong!). In Gravity Rush, you're choosing which direction will pull you towards it, not which object/structure, so unless you constantly switch which direction that is, then it stands to reason that walking over an curved surface would yield different results at different angles. I can see that being a convenience issue, absolutely, but in context of what's meant to be happening, it makes perfect sense.

Glad you beat it though, and agree with everything else :D

Just realized my second point wasn't all that clear. I'll explain.

Small detailing like windows or very small pipes on plane should be just be apart of the plane as whole. I find it pretty cumbersome when I'm fixated on those details as a whole rather than the whole plane.

I hope this makes any sense.

komorebi

I got this game at launch and I just haven't been able to click with it. I both love and really dislike Gravity Rush. In fact I love everything about it except the gameplay, or rather, the infuriating tendency for games like this to give you cool super powers and then have most of the gameplay loop being time trials, races, challenge modes, etc. I mean fucking come on.

I remember hating this about Prototype 1. God-like powers? Well I bet you can't make it from here to there in less than 45 seconds. Bet you can't deliver all these goddamned newspapers while you fight (and lose to) the camera. Bet you can't defeat all these enemies in the time limit.

Conniptions!!

I love everything else about this series though.

Just realized my second point wasn't all that clear. I'll explain.

Small detailing like windows or very small pipes on plane should be just be apart of the plane as whole. I find it pretty cumbersome when I'm fixated on those details as a whole rather than the whole plane.

I hope this makes any sense.

Yep, gotcha. You're right, GR:R did have simplified collision geometry relative to the visible object, which made it easier to walk across without tripping here and there and having the camera sometimes freak out like in GR2. I'm not sure which I'd rather have, as I appreciate the ease of GR:R's traversal, but also appreciate the intricacy of GR2's. Probably a balance to strike there.

Top Bottom