• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

ChrisD

CHAPTER 19/20 WHAT THE HECK

WHERE DID MY GRAVITY RUSH GO
I know you made Silent Hill, dude, but bringing mutants that would fit right in there into GR had me saying, "What is thiiiiiis?!" repeatedly during the Mutated Angel fight!

Eblo

9mPxnl4.png

Gravity Rush 2 in a nutshell. Still like it a lot though.

Now I wonder if there's any out-of-context dialog about stealth.

I know you made Silent Hill, dude, but bringing mutants that would fit right in there into GR had me saying, "What is thiiiiiis?!" repeatedly during the Mutated Angel fight!

He had to remind everyone of his root lmao

ChrisD

Yeah, change the motion part to 0 and it'll control much better since the controller movement won't influence anything.

I turned my motion sensitivity waaaaay up. Maybe that's why I haven't had any problems with combat of any sorts, really. It's super easy to do complete turn-arounds mid-air, or aim my Stasis objects.

Maybe it's my Splatoon experience carrying over, since that's also Stick+Gyro. =p

He had to remind everyone of his root lmao

Seriouslyyyy

Never even played it, but when my brother said, "Was the developer on something when he did this?" I'm like, "Whelp, developer, now it makes sense!

Just played the firat few chapters. The world built by Toyama is unparalleled, giving the sense of familiarity, surreal and otherworldliness combined. Coming from Hong Kong, the buildings evoke a similar presence from early 90s Kowloon (probably took inspiration from the Kowloon Walled City), mixed with the architecture and themes from Euro/China as the distinction elite.

I could literally spend hours just navigating this architectural sophistry and its Bioshock: Infinite style surrealness. Such an amazing world building that could have massive potential for a great RPG setting had the gaelmeplay not result from the Ubi-style progression.

Still, love Kat and her gravity quirks.

LotusHD

Banned

"Kill it with fire!"

Milijango

Just starting. Any cool "techs" that let you move with more agility and nimbleness? Thought I saw a post about like jump cancelling or something.

Lunar style allows you to wall jump between two nearby surfaces; that's always real cool and it's easy to do in Hekseville. That style seems built for suddenly getting into motion, what with spring jumps, rocket jumps, and wormhole kicks, though it's actually the slowest style for shifting and sliding. Lunar style also allows you stand on trees instead of falling through them; that's true of other light surfaces as well.

One neat mechanical quirk: if Kat jumps from a higher surface to a lower surface (the difference only has to be about 1 metre) you can jump again and she'll do a cool-looking trick jump with a lot more airtime. As long as you're decreasing in elevation you can do this many times in succession, even when you're not shifting.

L2+X while on the ground is also a fun way to get into the air fast.

When you're falling from great heights, spamming R2 lets you immediately start running at full speed.

Normal style Gravity Kicks are good for changing direction without losing speed; just be sure to cancel them with R1 and quickly start shifting with X. Additionally, if you stop shifting (L1) mid-kick, when you collide with the ground you can do the trick jumps I mentioned earlier.

Gotta admire Kat's composure.
Just kick it in all of its eyes!

Mikey Jr.

Man, gotta say, fuck whoever designed these gems to upgrades ratio.

Collected probably every gem in the world, beat every story mission, got gold on every challenge and I still need like 20k or more at the end of the game.

Percentage wise it felt like the original took away gravity powers more than 2 does though. When Dusty runs away, a lot of when you're in the world pillar, some of Boutume I think...

ChrisD

Oh yeah, how many Side Missions are there? In spoilers, of course. :p

Got the trophy for 20 last week, and the 40 trophy tonight, so it's easy to assume 60. But then I'd be doing just that. Assuming.

ChrisD

Cool cool. Thanks.

It's not that I hate them, but I am getting to the point of, "Okay, I kind of just want to play through the story now..." Especially with what's happening in the game's world. Like, why am I running around helping civilians when there's something much bigger to worry about, again?

Percentage wise it felt like the original took away gravity powers more than 2 does though. When Dusty runs away, a lot of when you're in the world pillar, some of Boutume I think...

Taking away your powers is honestly an overblown criticism. I feel like the game does a pretty fluid way of doing it that doesn't break the pacing of the gameplay.

LotusHD

Banned
Cool cool. Thanks.

It's not that I hate them, but I am getting to the point of, "Okay, I kind of just want to play through the story now..." Especially with what's happening in the game's world. Like, why am I running around helping civilians when there's something much bigger to worry about, again?

No one forces you to play them though, and I'm pretty sure they're not missable either. And even then, there's plenty of times throughout the game where Kat actually doesn't have any pressing matters to contend to. Honestly, I never even understood this criticism to begin with; it comes off as people acting as if they rather not have the sidequests, even if that isn't actually what they mean by it.

ChrisD

No one forces you to play them though, and I'm pretty sure they're not missable either. And even then, there's plenty of times throughout the game where Kat actually doesn't have any pressing matters to contend to.

I have to play them as they become available
Partially because nonsensical reasons, but mostly because I know I'd never go through them after beating the game and seeing something like twenty side missions in the menu. Seeing six after a Chapter had me feeling overwhelmed.

As to the edit, that's definitely not the case. It's just that I spent nearly four hours playing this evening and got two Story Missions done. I like to see progress in the main storyline, doing the side stuff adds to the charm and fun of the game but it again boils down to wanting more of the story and being "barred off" from it; even if that barring off is just my mentality of having to clear everything before moving on.

Edit: or was it three? They've been kind of running one into another, so I'm getting confused heh.

Partially because nonsensical reasons, but mostly because I know I'd never go through them after beating the game and seeing something like twenty side missions in the menu. Seeing six after a Chapter had me feeling overwhelmed.

What I did was beat a story mission, then beat 2-4 side missions. I was only left with 5 when the game was over.

LotusHD

Banned

I'm similar in that I don't want like 15+ side missions to tend to after beating the game, but I can admit that they are times draining, where like I can do a few of them, but I'm less likely to do a few of them and continue on with the story. But that's fine for me, because I have a bad habit of beating games too quickly anyhow.

ChrisD

You guys type fast, dang. Edited my post in reply to your ninja edit, and then see two new ones.

Or I type slow.
I blame mobile.

Milijango

I get that. I like the sidequests but I hated the feeling of beating a story mission and seeing 5+ new sidequests open up. I do appreciate that the game stops giving you new ones at the end.

Baalzebup

PSA, there is an in-game notification about increased Dusty token earning rate for online activity. One treasure hunt scored me 15 tokens instead of the usual 3.

Edit: Doh, even a photo evaluation gives you 15 tokens now, instead of 2.

ChrisD

Yea my bad, I nearly always come up with new stuff to say lol

It's just trying to keep up on Mobile that it gets difficult haha. PC you can preview and all that jazz with another tab.

Definitely, I hardly ever thought it was an issue in 2.

Honestly, if people didn't point it out, I probably wouldn't have noticed it much. Glad they didn't pull the same things 1 did. Those sections didn't even have fun characters and/or scenarios to pull things along.

PSA, there is an in-game notification about increased Dusty token earning rate for online activity. One treasure hunt scored me 15 tokens instead of the usual 3.

Awesome! Tad bit late for me, but cool for everyone!

Taking away your powers is honestly an overblown criticism. I feel like the game does a pretty fluid way of doing it that doesn't break the pacing of the gameplay.

I don't mind it in principle, but some of the side missions that take away your powers seem designed for maximum frustration. Case in point: the first Poterie Doll mission.
The game simply is not built for precision maneuvering through thick crowds, especially not on narrow fucking staircases. It's basically luck of the draw if you manage to get through half the time, and it's not fun in any way.
It's also that the gameplay with gravity powers feels so good that it's unfortunate they couldn't think of more fun diversions that used them. Like, I'd rather have ten more missions like the moving-day one than a single Poterie Doll mission.

LotusHD

Banned
Man Mission 22 has me like ZZZZzzzzzZzzzzz

But I can relate to it since I'm recovering still for the past 3 week ;__;

I actually liked it, as
with each time you wake up, the mood becomes increasingly more and more disturbing, in that obviously something is clearly awry. And fortunately, just when I thought things were taking too long, things began to happen again, to put it lightly.

I don't mind it in principle, but some of the side missions that take away your powers seem designed for maximum frustration. Case in point: the first Poterie Doll mission.
The game simply is not built for precision maneuvering through thick crowds, especially not on narrow fucking staircases. It's basically luck of the draw if you manage to get through half the time, and it's not fun in any way.
It's also that the gameplay with gravity powers feels so good that it's unfortunate they couldn't think of more fun diversions that used them. Like, I'd rather have ten more missions like the moving-day one than a single Poterie Doll mission.

I liked the side mission, but the challenge mission that occurs because of it is arguably the worst challenge mission in the entire game, because for whatever reason it's much more difficult in that context.

As for the side mission itself, I found it pretty funny, just turn around every now and then, and just laugh at
the dozens of people chasing you like they've lost their minds.
I didn't like the moving-day one. That was my very last one, and it was just boring, and not particularly charming either for once.
It got slightly saved by the fact that you can check back on it later on, and find out that her house had fallen apart due to having too much stuff lmao

----

By the way guys, when you get to Hekesville and do the side missions there, it seems that for some (maybe all?) of the side missions you complete, you can get additonal info (an epilogue of sorts) on how things are going concerning how that side mission concluded. Just check your mailbox at your pipe house after completing the mission. I hadn't noticed until much later on, so I likely missed out on a few bits of dialogue. :(

Was just about to start chapter
, but then I looked at the clock and realized I was supposed to be in bed two hours ago. Oops.

Of course the dusty token rates are increased when I'm not able to play anything online right now. Oops again.

By the way guys, when you get to Hekesville and do the side missions there, it seems that for some (maybe all?) of the side missions you complete, you can get additonal info (an epilogue of sorts) on how things are going concerning how that side mission concluded. Just check your mailbox at your pipe house after completing the mission. I hadn't noticed until much later on, so I likely missed out on a few bits of dialogue. :(

Hrm, I only ever saw one piece of mail arrive. Wasn't aware there was more than one.

LotusHD

Banned
Was just about to start chapter
, but then I looked at the clock and realized I was supposed to be in bed two hours ago. Oops.

Of course the dusty token rates are increased when I'm not able to play anything online right now. Oops again.

Hrm, I only ever saw one piece of mail arrive. Wasn't aware there was more than one.

Admittedly I've only seen one so far, but I only just realized that mail could come in to begin with, which made me think I've missed some all this time that I've been there. Also for a side mission concerning
Aujean and his son, apparently there's a "epilogue" of sorts of that as well, so I'm thinking that maybe that's a mail related thing that I missed. Not entirely sure yet though, as I'm not yet completely done with the game.
Which mail did you get?

Milijango

Admittedly I've only seen one so far, but I only just realized that mail could come in to begin with, which made me think I've missed some all this time that I've been there. Also for a side mission concerning
Aujean and his son, apparently there's a "epilogue" of sorts of that as well, so I'm thinking that maybe that's a mail related thing that I missed. Not entirely sure yet though, as I'm not yet completely done with the game.
Which mail did you get?

The only letter I've seen is from "Flow My Tears, the Man Said" -
the factory boss and his grumpy dad. In the letter the boss thanks Kat for reintroducing his father to music, and says that if she sees him in the street she's welcome to join in for a song or two.
I haven't been exploring since I got that letter, so I don't know if that can actually happen.

I've completed all main and side quests.

I actually liked it, as
with each time you wake up, the mood becomes increasingly more and more disturbing, in that obviously something is clearly awry. And fortunately, just when I thought things were taking too long, things began to happen again, to put it lightly.

I liked the side mission, but the challenge mission that occurs because of it is arguably the worst challenge mission in the entire game, because for whatever reason it's much more difficult in that context.

As for the side mission itself, I found it pretty funny, just turn around every now and then, and just laugh at
the dozens of people chasing you like they've lost their minds.
I didn't like the moving-day one. That was my very last one, and it was just boring, and not particularly charming either for once.
It got slightly saved by the fact that you can check back on it later on, and find out that her house had fallen apart due to having too much stuff lmao

----

That side missions is definitely the worst. The problem is that some civilians will see you ahead of you reaching them and run straight for you and you have little time to react. Most of the challenges I was able to obliterate gold medals on except this one. Spent the better part of 45 minutes on it.

McFadge

Edit: Doh, even a photo evaluation gives you 15 tokens now, instead of 2.

Interesting! I was playing a few hours ago and was still getting 2 for photo reviews. Will have to jump back in.

Edit: Just reviewed a photo and got 15, nice!

Which mail did you get?

I can confirm that's not a mail thing. The only mail I received is below:

the factory boss and his grumpy dad. In the letter the boss thanks Kat for reintroducing his father to music, and says that if she sees him in the street she's welcome to join in for a song or two.
I haven't been exploring since I got that letter, so I don't know if that can actually happen.

So I don't think you missed any mail, or if you did, we all missed it. Most of the epilogues I saw were conversation markers.

Right, I probably should've said challenge. I couldn't remember how the side mission differed from the challenge, but the challenge is definitely annoying as hell. Probably the only challenge I won't be able to improve past bronze.

LotusHD

Banned

Okay, that's the mail I had received. So I dunno, maybe I didn't miss anything after all lol

We'll see though, because apparently there's supposed to be a follow-up concerning
Aujean's side mission with him as an alcoholic. Maybe I need to beat everything first?

That side missions is definitely the worst. The problem is that some civilians will see you ahead of you reaching them and run straight for you and you have little time to react. Most of the challenges I was able to obliterate gold medals on except this one. Spent the better part of 45 minutes on it.

Side mission or challenge mission? The challenge mission is the one I struggled with.

Right, I probably should've said challenge. I couldn't remember how the side mission differed from the challenge, but the challenge is definitely annoying as hell. Probably the only challenge I won't be able to improve past bronze.

It took me awhile, but I got it. I just had to time my jumps. Also if you get caught when going up the stairs, you should just restart the whole thing imo. The place that they put you at just ruins the whole flow and makes you that much more likely to run into a fan, and you lose so much time.

----

Also I hear the update made the gems much more visible?

Carm

In the mission menu, what does a blue circle with a horizontal line inside it mean? I have one side mission listed with it displayed.

Milijango

In the mission menu, what does a blue circle with a horizontal line inside it mean? I have one side mission listed with it displayed.

It means you can't do it because you don't have access to that part of the world currently.

You'll be able to get back to it later.

Well I finally beat it.

My heart. OH MY GOD MY HEART

I know how you're feeling man.
This game left a void in my heart I'm still not over :(((

I managed to have an awesome run when I eventually finished that challenge mission, but I was unable to send it out to people as a challenge because the damn servers were offline... :(

Damn dog that's rough :(. The feeling of getting a t ally great score and knowing someone probably won't beat it is satisfying as fuck.

tsundoku

The side mission followups are totally jarring because they spawn out of nowhere and ambush you on top of statues and places when you're trying to set up a picture
Also the Reporter and Eugie and man in the black suit keep spawning event though I acknowledged their messages.

I did the photo trophies after all the side missions and tried to do them without looking them up for hours so I saw a lot of the followup prompts

Ferr986

Seems stupid but Im honestly not been able to enjoy the game as much after that ending :/ Did all the sidequest but still have almost all challenges, but dunno..

ChrisD

Okay so I jumped back in and did a Challenge blitz. Gold Medal'd everything available to me right now. First shot all but three; two tries for a race, where I just got lost for some reason; two tries for the Poterie crowd gather, though the first go-around I actually wasn't completely sure how I scored so I went into a finish zone with like five people; and four tries with the Poterie crowd fleeing. Only one actual completion though, because I reset the mission three times due to getting caught. Ain't wasting time finishing what I'm going right back in for... From the sounds of things I got that luck of the draw you guys were just mentioning with the last two. Which is totally fine with me.

That high score for the crowd gathered tho. Whoo boy. 500 something. They must have found a way to abuse the AI or somethin'. And they had to be on a PS4 Pro. My poor system was chugging along sloooooowly with 137...

I didn't care for it that much in the first game but it's so, so good this time around.

Gravity Rush 2 has the most (and best) saxophone of any video game since Deadly Premonition.

Raven's theme is amazing. Though I thought of Mario Kart 8 (and will now have to give Deadl Premonition's OST a listen!). Dolphin Shoals has some top-tier saxy sax. It's still one of my favorite songs in recent years and that can be greatly attributed to said saxophone.

Top Bottom