• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

I don't normally get it but the end-game depression is kicking in. Games I really enjoy give me this feeling and, just, UUGHHH

giphy.gif

Yeah I rarely ever feel this way about any medium let alone video games. I was really devastated after beating this shit and it feels silly as hell lmao

LotusHD

Banned
At the very least, I'll say this real quick. This is the best sequel I've played in a very long time. Feel very blessed that we got this game, no this series, at all tbh. Just consistently put a smile on my face, something that rarely happens when I play a game, even when I'm enjoying myself.

black070

At the very least, I'll say this real quick. This is the best sequel I've played in a very long time. Feel very blessed that we got this game, no this series, at all tbh. Just consistently put a smile on my face, something that rarely happens when I play a game, even when I'm enjoying myself.

Very well put. :')

Completely agree. It was such a perfect storm that we got the original and then a refined version of that lightning struck again

Milijango

Very well put. :')

Completely agree. It was such a perfect storm that we got the original and then a refined version of that lightning stuck again

You all warm the cockles of my heart.

so did the photo

Ferr986

I just wish it had a
proper closure, it's too ambiguous to me, knowing there will be no more GR games.

Gameplay wise yeah I'm very happy with it, moving the game to PS4 was a good decision IMO.

Been away from this thread for a while so it's good to be back.

Been taking my time slowly with the game due to real life stuff and boy oh boy it's such a nice counterbalance to overwatch if I get too frustrated.

Can't wait to add some add some more studying and chilling music :)

It took me awhile, but I got it. I just had to time my jumps. Also if you get caught when going up the stairs, you should just restart the whole thing imo. The place that they put you at just ruins the whole flow and makes you that much more likely to run into a fan, and you lose so much time.

Yeah, I kind of can't deal with that then. Like, I know there are alternate paths for some of the other sections that bypass a lot of crowds, but those stairs have actual checkpoints on them so it seems like you're forced to go through them, and there's just too many people. I honestly don't know how you DON'T get caught on them at least once.

Also, I actually find the stairs checkpoint to be pretty good. There's just the one woman they put in front of you, and she's easy to run past.

daveo42

Banned
Been slowing making it through the game. Cleared episode 9 and
got Lunar style, which is pretty awesome.
Loving the direction things are progressing in. Not much wtf in terms of story, but I can kind of see where things are going. I also really loved the
music scene
and was glad to finally see it. Hoping I'll have the chance to dig in a bit more over the rest of the week. Also super surprised I've put almost 20 hours into the game already. I blame gem hunting.

The dog mission (at least what I think people were complaining about) was somewhat bad. Maybe more annoying from the amount of time it took to solve what should have been a super easy task. Especially when
the dog can't hear you from a few feet away for some god-awful reason.

Considering it appears to have been a bit of a flop I'm just grateful that we got a sequel at all. Thank you Sony for funding it and Toyama-san for creating it, and I can't wait to see what he and his team work on next!

MikeDown

Banned
Just finished the game, loved the ending wish they would explain few more things tho.
One thing that is bugging me is that they never really explained the Nevi or the creation of the world pillars. Another thing that needed explaining was the Destructive Force, had impression it was related to the rising death that creeps its way up the world pillar (which was always a looming threat).

I wasn't sure if it was the update or just a progression-based music change I never noticed before.

I didn't notice until after I installed the patch, but that could be a coincidence so who knows? It sounded really weird at the start of the modified loop which was how I noticed that the track got changed. Outside of the beginning, it sounded nice.

Baalzebup

Has anyone noticed that the Lei Colmosna soundtrack got modified in the 1.02 update?

I wasn't sure if it was the update or just a progression-based music change I never noticed before.

I didn't notice until after I installed the patch, but that could be a coincidence so who knows? It sounded really weird at the start of the modified loop which was how I noticed that the track got changed. Outside of the beginning, it sounded nice.
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well, and I think it did come with the patch. I had been to Lei Colmosna quite a few times in Post-game even before the patch and I would at least think would have noticed the track being different back then, since I did note it very fast after the patch hit.

DylanEno

I meant to say challenge mission. Specifically the 2nd one where you gather up fans.
Spent a good 15 minutes this morning getting so salty over that BS. Managed to make it with 5 seconds to spare, though. I thought the mission auto failed you as soon as you're caught so I kept retrying, lol.

Why is Raven's theme song sooo good
It plays during the best moment in the game, imo, and is generally just such a perfect representation of her character arc. That and it just sounds ridiculously amazing.

Yes, it sounds more varied with an accordion playing.
Not sure if exactly relevant, but the side mission with the bitter old man rediscovering happiness in life when you go looking for the music corner with the accordion legit brought a tear to my eye. The side content content may not be all that great mechanically, but I love the heartwarming nature and silliness of them.

Luigi87

Just finished the game.

In spite of its flaws (stealth mission abundance, power restrictions) it was still great. Well worth the wait. Kind of sad the odds of another won't happen until the next gen of systems... if it even does.

*stares at desktop wallpaper*
I've used a GR2 one since the game was originally announced, and still believed to be a Vita game... Now I dunno what to do.

Draikin 2

Raven's theme is indeed amazing this time around, easily my favorite song. I like the soundtrack for GR2 better than that of the first game, which is saying something. The Lei Colmosna soundtrack was definitely modified in the patch as well.

Even though it's not getting the sales it deserves, this series just stands out from anything else I've played and I still hope this isn't the end for the franchise. I do expect to see more people pick up Gravity Rush 2 at a discount later on (similar to what happened to Valkyria Chronicles). The DLC release might be an occasion for Sony to sell the full game at a lower price.

Regarding the Dusty Tokens event: is anyone actually getting any challenges? I haven't received any since the servers went back up. Plenty of Treasure Hunts though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone having difficulty getting photos for the collections to register?

I've unlocked all of the collections. I've taken a dozen photos of one of Saghassi's paintings and it's just not working. I don't get it.

DylanEno

Raven's theme is indeed amazing this time around, easily my favorite song. I like the soundtrack for GR2 better than that of the first game, which is saying something. The Lei Colmosna soundtrack was definitely modified in the patch as well.

Even though it's not getting the sales it deserves, this series just stands out from anything else I've played and I still hope this isn't the end for the franchise. I do expect to see more people pick up Gravity Rush 2 at a discount later on (similar to what happened to Valkyria Chronicles). The DLC release might be an occasion for Sony to sell the full game at a lower price.

Regarding the Dusty Tokens event: is anyone actually getting any challenges? I haven't received any since the servers went back up. Plenty of Treasure Hunts though.
I got one, yeah. I won a challenge, too, for 80 tokens. Were the tokens adjusted or...? Trying to figure out the point of them bringing online services down for a full weekend.

ChrisD

Spent a good 15 minutes this morning getting so salty over that BS. Managed to make it with 5 seconds to spare, though. I thought the mission auto failed you as soon as you're caught so I kept retrying, lol.

It plays during the best moment in the game, imo, and is generally just such a perfect representation of her character arc. That and it just sounds ridiculously amazing.

Not sure if exactly relevant, but the side mission with the bitter old man rediscovering happiness in life when you go looking for the music corner with the accordion legit brought a tear to my eye. The side content content may not be all that great mechanically, but I love the heartwarming nature and silliness of them.

It may as well be an auto-fail, since I'm preeeeetty sure you can't make it to a Gold medal time with even a single catch. Maybe there's some secret path that would let you, I dunno'. But I'm going to go with retrying being the best choice.

DylanEno

It may as well be an auto-fail, since I'm preeeeetty sure you can't make it to a Gold medal time with even a single catch. Maybe there's some secret path that would let you, I dunno'. But I'm going to go with retrying being the best choice.
I'm of the firm belief that it's impossible to dodge everyone on those two rows of stairs - I got caught there and still made it with 5 seconds to spare with regard to the gold limit.

Baalzebup

I got one, yeah. I won a challenge, too, for 80 tokens. Were the tokens adjusted or...? Trying to figure out the point of them bringing online services down for a full weekend.
An online event of sorts is responsible for your increased token income.
PSA, there is an in-game notification about increased Dusty token earning rate for online activity. One treasure hunt scored me 15 tokens instead of the usual 3.

Edit: Doh, even a photo evaluation gives you 15 tokens now, instead of 2.

Ferr986

Went to delvool, mainly for the trophy, reached layer 2, stupid stone told me to take pics of Nevis. Then a shit ton of them appeared and proceeded to gang on me. Fuck this lol

Got caught once and gold medaled anyway. You have problems if you get caught twice though.

Went to delvool, mainly for the trophy, reached layer 2, stupid stone told me to take pics of Nevis. Then a shit ton of them appeared and proceeded to gang on me. Fuck this lol

I didn't think it was so bad. You can enter camera mode while flying and it won't interrupt your momentum, and most of what spawns aren't very good at hitting moving targets.

Weiss

Banned
Yahtzee reviewed GR2 and he forgot
to do the post-credit chapters. He missed the last act of the dang game.

Baalzebup

Oh, that one is a warm spring breeze compared to the harsh winter of later Delvool challenges. Most of the Nevi are ground-bound, so take a quick snap of the ones that can hurt you, kill them, and then cover the rest until you have the required 5. Use the terrain to block the ranged attacks from the stone-slinging tree -type, if there is one (I can't remember).

Milijango

I thought it was progression based, on account of
Jirga's first contact with the more European-influenced Hekseville.

That said the update and my progress happened at the same time. I might replay a side quest to try and find out.

What was in the new patch?

I don't think a full list of patches has been posted, but we can guess they probably fixed a lot of bugs. A few bugs that may or may not have been patched yet:

• Occasional crash returning to mining boat from a mining site.
  • It is possible to go out of bounds and not be able to return to the map on rare occasions. If this occurs, save the game and restart; no progress will be lost.
  • In episode 10,
    if a talisman that decreases attack power is equipped, you may not be able to destroy the jail bars.
  • In episode 12,
    it is possible to break a wall using an unintended method to skip triggering a scripted event, making it impossible to advance without restarting the game.
Also, when I went through the JP site to find information I found the Dusty Token boost lasts until February 7 (unclear what time it ends, assume it ends a day earlier outside of Japan because timezones).

What does the blue minus sign mean next to a side mission in the mission list?

This was answered already, but it means you (temporarily) don't have access to the location of the mission.

sora87

Ahhh I see, fair enough.

I still don't know how to get to the 3rd layer of this mining trench lol, I enter the first layer and there's nothing around to get anywhere else.

Baalzebup

Ahhh I see, fair enough.

I still don't know how to get to the 3rd layer of this mining trench lol, I enter the first layer and there's nothing around to get anywhere else.
There is always one of those stone tablets with pink/purple writing on 'em somewhere on every layer. You need to complete the challenge you activate from it to get a portal to the next layer. The best indication of which platform in each layer has the tablet is the fact that the platform in question will not have any ore nodes on it.

Every time I sit down to play I end up just doing a bunch of treasure hunts lol

You better believe I made a bunch of story progression while the servers were down. I was pointedly ignoring the cached challenges and new challenge mission unlocks because I knew there was no server to respond to them either.

Then last night I almost didn't progress through story at all because treasure hunts and challenges took me almost to bedtime. Then I ended up staying up two hours after bedtime anyway.

sora87

There is always one of those stone tablets with pink/purple writing on 'em somewhere on every layer. You need to complete the challenge you activate from it to get a portal to the next layer. The best indication of which platform in each layer has the tablet is the fact that the platform in question will not have any ore nodes on it.

Thanks, that little bugger was very well hidden!

McFadge

Keep getting my ass kicked in Delvool level 18 (I think?). It's a time limit battle, but I'm always falling short, mainly the fish like Nevi in groups. Any advice?

Keep getting my ass kicked in Delvool level 18 (I think?). It's a time limit battle, but I'm always falling short, mainly the fish like Nevi in groups. Any advice?

Actually having similar problems much further up, in level 5. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually but I keep having to drop it because I run low on health, lol

Baalzebup

The fishy get murdered if you have a decent Stasis field upgrade state and use the charged Stasis Throw in normal mode. At full upgrade state, it can actually be more powerful than the super moves at a fraction of the cost. I remember always starting that one with using a Black Hole to wipe out the large humanoid one and the 2 or 3 Shields'n Spears Nevi that spawn next to him, then just beating at the other buggers until I regain enough SP to mess up the fish with aforementioned charged throw.

LotusHD

Banned
EDIT: Jesus, this is much longer than I'd thought it'd be...

Ending is still on my mind... But yea, game was a solid 9/10. I recall others saying it goes "full anime" at some points, a description I'm usually get annoyed of seeing, but admittedly yea it did, but it did so in the best of ways lol

Throughout the story, as well as the side missions, you could really feel the love and labor that got poured into the making of this game. Haven't been this satisfied by a sequel for a game in who knows how long. The combat was better. The story was much longer. The world much bigger. It satisfied virtually all of my primary concerns or minor annoyances that I had with the first game (Though it did create some new ones lol), and even had a few surprises that I didn't expect to see. Oh, and let's not forget the wonderful OST. Here I was thinking that I'd be deciding between Persona, Nier, and maybe BoTW. Then GR2 comes and reminds that it doesn't just have a good OST, but a great one. (Night Gale, A Red Apple Fell From the Sky, Fire-Bound Lions, and Angel are utterly fantastic for example) Then you have stuff that just flawlessly sell the mood of the locations you find yourself in, like Lei Elgona and Lei Havina (That saxophone!) for example.

As for the characters, while Kat was obviously going to be great no matter what, I loved the majority of the rest of the cast as well. Raven in particular was a highlight; she certainly earned being on that cover, that's for sure. I enjoyed the friendship between the two, especially with how Raven would often tease Kat concerning various things. Also their obsession with food, namely Raven, was just hilarious. But back on Kat. If she wasn't before due to the first game, Kat is definitely my favorite video game character at the moment. Her personality is such a rare thing in games, at least out of the ones I've played. Where she's just upbeat about virtually everything, even when things are going to shit. While some may (understandably) characterize her as being a bit of a doormat, I see it more as her not really having a middle ground. If she can help, if she can make your day better, then she will. But if she encounters someone that is clearly up to no good, then she just tells them off, or kicks their ass. What also helped to balance her goody-two shoes nature is just she continues being just as snarky (sometimes internally, sometimes vocally) in the first game. I really love that part of her character, where even someone as nice as her thinks to herself "Why am I helping this person...", or "Why are the people I meet always so weird..." Often makes for good humor.

As for the side missions, I know some are like this close to hating them, but I for one enjoyed nearly all of them. In recent years, good side quests have more or less been a requirement for me in order for me to be truly interested in a game. I don't think I ask for much; I just merely want stuff like a good story, clever writing, etc.. You know, shit that actually compels me to want to do those quests. Just give me a reason to care. You don't even necessarily have to provide amazing rewards or always find unique ways to use my powers, though that obviously is appreciated as well. So then I get around to playing GR2, and lo and behold, they do all of the above. Bunch of little stories that are charming, hilarious, creative or all of the above, that add additional depth to characters I'm familiar with, or allow me to be acquainted with brand new ones. And they even all had their own cutscenes and mini-tutorials, they really went all out for this game. For the first time ever, I completed all the side quests in a game, because Gravity Rush 2 gave me a reason to care. Once I did a few of them, it was easy to decide that they'd all be worth my time. Some admittedly were annoying in terms of their mechanics, but the consistent quality of the writing saved it every single time for me.

Other than that, not much else to say. The ability to basically fly in this game is a feature that pretty much everyone has to try for themselves, so I'll be recommending this game to others for the rest of my days. The GIFs do a great job of making it cool and all, but it's so much better to just experience it for yourself. This is the type of stuff that reminds me why I love gaming. And on a side note, I'll reiterate again that Gravity Rush as a series holds the key to making open world gaming less tedious, boring, etc. for many gamers. And that key is nailing the traversal aspect. Can't tell you how many times I've been in awe of an open world (Witcher 3, FFXV to name a few recent examples), but I always end up having no intention of making any real attempt to try and explore it all. (And no, fast travel does not count) Stuff like horses, chocobos, and (flying) cars are just not enough in my opinion. That being said, obviously not every game can feature gravity powers, especially the more grounded ones. But damn, they gotta look at this series and realize they need to come up with some new stuff. Like FFXV for example, something as simple as being able to warp onto surfaces without having to be in battle would've done a lot to help alleviate that issue. When it's a joy just to simply travel in Gravity Rush, that's when you know you got a good thing going. So yea, I dunno, they either work on their traversal methods, or maybe they need to think about just making their worlds more compact. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, with all that being said, I can't give the game a 10/10 score because there were issues that I couldn't ignore, namely the camera and excessively tedious stealth missions. The upgrade portion was arguably much worse this time as well. While I guess it's ultimately better to not have to worry about wasting gems on your health and gravity gauge, I didn't like that you had to rely on Jupiter mode for a speed increase. And for the rest of the stuff you can upgrade, it still felt pretty superficial for the most part. Additionally, it clearly takes forever to max them all out; I'm nowhere close to doing so despite being done with everything including challenge missions, and regularly going out of my way to collect gems that I see. Oh well. But yea, with all of that in mind, I take a point off, as I consider it be a flawed masterpiece. Where it obviously has numerous stuff that can annoy you, but the heart of it all just makes you overlook those flaws.

It would be utterly fantastic if we were to mine (Heh) another game out of this series, but considering how much content this one has, I suppose I'd be content if this is how it all ends.

Sony still needs to wise up and use her for marketing though.

Top Bottom