• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

I really love this game.

There are admittedly some major lows with some of the side missions. I dread going back to the one where I help the woman move, ugh. But some of them are just fun, and just EXPLORING is amazing in the game. I love jumping in Lunar Style, I love treasure hunts, and I love how, even when I'm having trouble finding the treasure, I'll come across gems and just get distracted nabbing them.

The stealth missions are terrible, but there are some missions that are crazy great. Overall, I think this is a great game that could have been a league above had it trimmed the bad missions since sometimes they would suck the fun out of things. A few others talked about getting back-to-back lame missions, but then falling in love again the next day when they played missions that were actually great. I feel the same way.

But seriously, no regrets with this purchase. I love the dialogue, I love Kat, I love the world, I love how the world feels more alive, I love shifting through atmospheres to get to another town... just a wonderful game.

So I'm playing the last mission and one of the mutated nevi seems to be invincible. Is this a glitch or am I missing something?

None are invincible. O_O

They need to add a feature that allows you to remove the HUD. While it does disappear if you're idling, because it does not disappear when you're using any of your gravity abilities there are plenty of screenshots you can't take without a hud.

Either that, or a fully fledged photo mode.

Why is the stealth in this game so bad? Jesus. It's enough to bring the game down a point or two. I'm not even sure who the hell has seen me sometimes and places are frequently crawling with enemies to see you. There's no rhyme or reason to the ships, either.

Hitting a recurring bug where photos aren't being recognized for collections at all. Only way I can tell to fix it is to close the app and restart. It's getting pretty frustrating; have to do it roughly every fourth photo so far tonight.

Shun

I started not too long ago. I love the music and the visuals and everything, but holy shit who the hell designed the entire Fi fight?

That thing is not fun or enjoyable, especially for a game that revolves around shifting gravity...

It was just not fun doing this portion 3 times.

Shun

Okay just beat Fi. Why is the camera so bad during this section... It takes away from the combat having to try to following around the entire platform.

It's also really annoying how easy it is for Fi to juggle you off the stage if you mess up a roll on accident.

I'm just glad this boss is over and hope there isn't anything designed poorly like that one again.

Other than that I have been really enjoying the game.

The animation in this game is incredibly sophisticated. I love the way Kat will be falling, have a near miss with some obstacle, and instinctually tuck her knees into her chest. The fact that she's trying to protect herself makes her seem so real. Little touches like that let you know this game was a fucking labor of love.

Okay just beat Fi. Why is the camera so bad during this section... It takes away from the combat having to try to following around the entire platform.

It's also really annoying how easy it is for Fi to juggle you off the stage if you mess up a roll on accident.

I'm just glad this boss is over and hope there isn't anything designed poorly like that one again.

I'd like to say you're out of the woods, but there's at least one other section that a lot of people seemed to struggle with (including me) when it came to camera issues. That said, I don't remember having a lot of trouble with the Fi fight near the start of the game, so I can't necessarily advise on whether the rest of the game will offer equal moments of frustration for you. All I can say is if you're still enjoying large parts of it, just try to grit your teeth for the clunky bits! Gravity Rush 2 is definitely in my "flawed but lovable" list of games.

DylanEno

Trying to figure out how to best grind out dusty tokens before the bonus ends. But really... it seems to be time-oriented. Is there any surefire, quick way to stuff like treasure hunts and picture feedback to show up more often?

Episodes 18-19-20
Amazing, simply amazing.
Now I just have to complete the last few side missions (I think they are the last ones), and then I'm set for the final stretch.

That fight is honestly quite easy. Just hit him a lot and dodge. Don't try to overdo the combos. You'll never lose a bell.

Humdinger

You shouldn't rush through games in general, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I like to take my time, enjoy the game. Rushing through games just makes them feel like a job or a task I have to get done. I've got enough of those in my life without taking that mindset into gaming. That's no fun.

I'm playing through slowly, just a bit at a time. I'm still pretty early on, Ch. 7 or so. No complaints about sidequests so far. I've enjoyed them all. I'm having more trouble with the challenge missions than I did in the first game, but maybe that's me.

I agree with the earlier comments about Stasis field being such a major factor in this game. I hardly used it at all in the previous game -- it was all about the gravity kick -- and now it's my "go to."

Draikin 2

Trying to figure out how to best grind out dusty tokens before the bonus ends. But really... it seems to be time-oriented. Is there any surefire, quick way to stuff like treasure hunts and picture feedback to show up more often?
Not from what I know. But challenges are basically the only thing that isn't time-limited. These are hit and miss in terms of earning Dusty Tokens from them, but typically I just picked one challenge and kept improving my times and just sent out the challenge every time I completed one. There's no downside in sending the challenges each time, even if you didn't beat your best time. I've personally only received one challenge from someone else since the servers went back up. I'm getting the impression that, unlike treasure hunts, few people are actually sending out challenges. And that's probably why I'm having some success now that I'm sending out a lot of them. You could of course join a group that sends easy challenges to each other, but I didn't resort to that.

Well, challenges depend on the person receiving it "accepting" it, so it's not such a sure method. I'm not sure if they made it so they won't be sent to people who haven't played for X amount of time or not, but you could end up sending your challenge to someone who has finished the game and moved on. Also, if you're challenging friends you only get the rewards once a day, so it's still pretty limited.

Honestly, if the rewards were always as they are now (or slightly less, but still) this wouldn't really a be a big deal, 6000 would easily be doable by just playing the game, doing the challenges and hunts that you get as you progress. This way it really becomes a grind to unlock everything.

Fireblend

Banned
Just started the last chapter. Missions 18-20 sure we're something though I gotta admit I groan at the sight of those stupid trial tablets.

I'll wrap up the last 6 side missions and get ready for the final stretch. Excited to see what's up with all the unresolved mysteries.

Dave1988

C31894GWIAYJXn5.png:large

Platinum GET! :D

Now I need 2,7k more Dusty Tokens and I'll be done with GR2 until the DLC comes out.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Play time is clocked at 54:29 as I finally managed to finish the game. And what a lovely game it was. I enjoyed it almost thoroughly, but there is still some stuff to be done. Although I did complete all of the missions I still haven’t done basically any mining and none of the collectibles. Going after all those gems around the two cities and not using the manholes to warp around really built up those hours of play time. Even still I only have 85 dusty tokens…

As I haven’t yet played the first game Hekseville felt more than a little intimidating at first but I ended up liking the environment more than the one in the first half of the game. The characters were likable all around and I look forward to seeing more of them once I get around to playing the first game. It was a bit of a bummer that
we had to say our goodbyes to all of them as Raven instead of as Kat.

The mission where you get the Jupiter Style was an absolute disaster. Not only did the camera go absolutely mental but the game also glitched on me and I had to play some of the mission again. I missed the prompt telling me what to do to get through the first of those breakable walls and after trying the surge kick a few times without it working I decided to try throwing stuff at the wall. Surprisingly it worked but the next area didn’t load. For whatever reason the wall hadn’t broken as intended.

I also loved seeing all the pictures that I had taken throughout the game as the credits rolled. I wish more games had the taking of pictures as a gameplay mechanic, and it being one here was a very pleasant surprise.

Shun

I'd like to say you're out of the woods, but there's at least one other section that a lot of people seemed to struggle with (including me) when it came to camera issues. That said, I don't remember having a lot of trouble with the Fi fight near the start of the game, so I can't necessarily advise on whether the rest of the game will offer equal moments of frustration for you. All I can say is if you're still enjoying large parts of it, just try to grit your teeth for the clunky bits! Gravity Rush 2 is definitely in my "flawed but lovable" list of games.

That fight is honestly quite easy. Just hit him a lot and dodge. Don't try to overdo the combos. You'll never lose a bell.

I was playing on hard and via Remote Play, so I probably made it more difficult than it should have but the camera was so bad.

schaft0620

About three-quarters of the way through the main story that I have this problem with the game where my circle button is like locked in and everywhere I walk I keep pulling things in.

Any ideas?

Milijango

I played that on hard too. It feels punishing to lose so much progress on a single screw-up, but basically just treat him like a simplified Dark Souls boss; dodge into his attacks, only attack after he misses his attacks(and don't overdo it). He doesn't telegraph his yoyo attacks much, but since he punishes late dodges far worse than early ones it pays to be paranoid and dodge preemptively.

Also, I finished the game on Hard and don't really recommend it. I found myself spending too much time hunting for health pickups in the second half of the game and hearing the terrible low HP sound.

There's no reward for doing anything on Hard difficulty so turn it down and soon as it becomes intrusive. I appreciate the inclusion of difficulty settings but I don't think this game gains anything from an increase in difficulty.

Holy shit is there something I'm completely missing because nothing I do is getting past Delvool layer 11. It's all I can do to make it back to the cage alive, let alone
kill exactly 5 enemies in each style

-Horizon-

Just did episode 9 I think?

The one where you
go take over the garrison

It reminded me of something out of uncharted. Meaning there were rocket launchers and armored enemies everywhere :T

I'm sure there was an easier way to take out the
two robots
but man, what was a fun boss fight in an earlier chapter got made annoying because too much crap was blowing up on screen and bringing that frame rate to its knees.
why do some devs keep thinking that having not one, but two of the same kind of boss at once is fun?

Okay, that side mission involving the author and editor, "An Author's Discreet Charm II," was freaking hysterical. What a weird story. =D

McFadge

Holy shit is there something I'm completely missing because nothing I do is getting past Delvool layer 11. It's all I can do to make it back to the cage alive, let alone
kill exactly 5 enemies in each style

Yeah, this one was annoying, especially with no counter. You can fly across to another island and throw objects in each style. Don't kill the hand, since that will fail the mission too.

Shifter 1.0 get!

... Syd really did tighten up the chest area when he fixed the outfit up. 1.0 is actually kind of sagging away from her chest D:

Yeah, this one was annoying, especially with no counter. You can fly across to another island and throw objects in each style. Don't kill the hand, since that will fail the mission too.

I'll have to try that. Is there a limit to how far you can fly?

Baalzebup

I'll have to try that. Is there a limit to how far you can fly?
You can, at the very least, retreat to the next, multi-layer platform without any issues. The cacti actually respawn at a decent rate, so you'll find plenty of ammo. I too cheesed the shit out of that challenge, killing more or less everything by throwing the cacti at them.

muteki

Got through chapter 18~20 or so.

Fighting Kali ranged from horrible trial and error (when in the air) to really really amazing (if you can get her down on the ground). The Raven fight in the first game seemed a lot better.

The big boss on top of the clocktower was ehhhh....No way to really know when/how it was attacking made it not very interesting and not really any different than the Neu Hiraleon (sp?)boss.

Even so still having a bunch of fun and now can't wait to go back and explore more.

So there are a lot of unmarked followups to side missions and stuff if you run into people on the street. You'll hear them call to you if you pass by close enough, and if you stand next to them for a bit they'll start a dialogue. I'm nearing 100 hours on the game clock and I'm still finding more things to do, lol

Even so still having a bunch of fun and now can't wait to go back and explore more.
Depending on how much time you think you have, you might want to actually hold off on starting episode 21 until after the Dusty Token boost ends...

Rarius

Two questions.

1. How far in am I? I'm taking photos of the military base.

2. Are the gravity controls just kinda... worse compared to the first? I *just* beat Remastered and snapping to surfaces and changing directions was a no brainer, in 2, Kat just doesn't like attaching to what I'm aiming at.

Two questions.

1. How far in am I? I'm taking photos of the military base.

2. Are the gravity controls just kinda... worse compared to the first? I *just* beat Remastered and snapping to surfaces and changing directions was a no brainer, in 2, Kat just doesn't like attaching to what I'm aiming at.

I'd say you're at about the 20-25% mark.

I haven't really had major issues but I can see coming from Remastered being a problem since GR2 doesn't run at 60fps like Remastered does.

muteki

Depending on how much time you think you have, you might want to actually hold off on starting episode 21 until after the Dusty Token boost ends...
Hmm, am I missing out on a ton of tokens by moving along? I have ~1200 and the next thing I remotely care about is 4k away.

I have 6 or so side missions and whatever story is left, which I'd like to be finished with this weekend.

Yeah having gone through Remastered again right before this, general feel is definitely different, though I couldn't single out any particular thing that is really off compared to the first. It is just not a improvement across the board. Somethings better, somethings worse.

McFadge

Just finished Delvool, was actually a bit anticlimactic at the end. Especially the level I was worried about,
with the Skull boss, who is actually way easier here than in the main story

Baalzebup

Delvool is just full of grave sites tonight. Down to layer 11 and I've found 6 of 'em already. Two were at the 11th layer test site, no surprise there.

leng jai

I'm coming to the realisation I don't really like this game. Some of the mission design is horrendous, and it's not just the stealth. The camera is insufferable as well.

McFadge

I wonder if they'll introduce some other use for gems; already racked up a fair amount doing stuff in Delvool with nothing to spend it on.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm coming to the realisation I don't really like this game. Some of the mission design is horrendous, and it's not just the stealth. The camera is insufferable as well.
Yeah, I gave up earlier today. Made it to mission 11 or 12. Really disappointing overall.

Top Bottom