• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Honestly I think half the reason is because I'm not that great at the game. Often during combat I just fly off or too far in the wrong direction and the camera just completely shits itself.

I feel like a big must for the combat is predicting when a miss will happen so that you can cancel or prepare to adjust the camera as needed

Did all the side missions!

I found a couple of those paintings, too, in Lei Havana. Perhaps I'll start searching for those and treasure hunting as well this week.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I started this up yesterday after finishing up Gravity Rush Remastered which I loved!

I'm digging this, but not as much as the first yet. The setting/story haven't grabbed me as much yet, and the sidequests even early on seem pretty bad. Especially the poor stealth/picture taking one I suffered through last night before quitting. So I may just have to skip some of those that are annoying me to not sour on the game.

I'm also a little unclear on the mining stuff. I just get wrecked by the big Nevi in the few I have available. Do I just need to "git gud" or is it meant to come back after leveling up some more?

Anyway, I'm still early--only 5 or 6 story missions done so I'm hoping it will pick up. The game does look amazing though, after getting used to going back to 30FPS anyway.

Finally finished the story, and despite some bumps in the road, I haven't been this in love with a game in a long time. 60 hours and still a lot to do. Not sure if I'll go for the platinum or not, but I sure don't feel like leaving this world yet.

So much about it is, for me, perfect:

• Incredibly photogenic visuals leading to more screenshots than I've ever taken in a single game (many hundreds); definitely buying the artbook
  • Music ranging from breathtaking to toe-tapping - and everything in-between - that I end up humming all day; definitely buying the soundtrack
  • Love-able and hate-able characterization, and top-notch character designs all around
  • Engaging and entertaining online features (I'm always thrilled to find other people's photo ops)
  • Funny and intriguing side quest lines
  • The awesome feeling of traversal (particularly via Lunar) through maybe my favorite open world in any game, which is a joy to be in
  • (edit) Forgot to bring up the fantastic title/attract screen + music, menus, HUD, and overall presentation, which is all super cohesive and ridiculously stylish. I expected Persona 5 to easily take the cake with these this year, but GR2 came out struttin'.
And, of course, the reason for the season: Kat. She's simply the best.

20170126_2042_20078_g8uio.jpeg

Finished the story 100% and all side missions.

Man, there's still a lot to do, I only have half the trophies, and according to my stats I'm only halfway to the 60,000 gems goal.

What an amazing game. Very satisfied.

Rektash

Just got the platinum as well!

T'was a great journey.

I consider my relationship with the Gravity Rush franchise to be a love/hate relationship. While I think GR has some fundamental flaws it makes up for its shortcomings with likeable characters, great atmosphere and a fantastic soundtrack. As far as gameplay goes, I had most fun just collecting gems, roaming the city.

The soundtrack doesn't get praised enough here. Absolutely fantastic work by Kohei Tanaka.

How can you not love this, this, or this?

Milijango

Finished the story 100% and all side missions.

Man, there's still a lot to do, I only have half the trophies, and according to my stats I'm only halfway to the 60,000 gems goal.

What an amazing game. Very satisfied.

You need 87,000 gems for the platinum because of the cost of all Kat's upgrades. They're sneaky like that.

Just got the platinum as well!

T'was a great journey.

I consider my relationship with the Gravity Rush franchise to be a love/hate relationship. While I think GR has some fundamental flaws it makes up for its shortcomings with likeable characters, great atmosphere and a fantastic soundtrack. As far as gameplay goes, I had most fun just collecting gems, roaming the city.

The soundtrack doesn't get praised enough here. Absolutely fantastic work by Kohei Tanaka.

How can you not love this, this, or this?

Hey, me too! Had to wait a day after the exhausting gem grind for the final Giant Nevi spawn, but it was at Site 0 so my journey is at least kind of bookended. 55 hours on the clock - pretty quick for a platinum. It's only my second after Bloodborne.

I feel comfortable taking a break from it now, though the fact that I still haven't unlocked three categories of house decorations is kind of bothering me. Definitely coming back at least for the DLC.

Also, yes the soundtrack. The highlights for me would have to be Lei Colmosna, the end boss themes, and every version of Raven's theme.

george_us

Doing a second playthrough, taking my time, and I'm enjoying it much more. Rushing through may have hampered my enjoyment a bit. I do think it takes far too long to get the styles though.

Milijango

Are all the treasure chests already in the world regardless of accepting treasure hints or not?

I don't think so, though you can definitely bump into some of them while just travelling. It's just that some of their placements are so obvious that I can't fathom how I could've missed them had they already been in the environment.

Check on top of the water tank in Lei Elgona, I guess. If every chest exists at the same time then you should see one right there.

I don't think so, though you can definitely bump into some of them while just travelling. It's just that some of their placements are so obvious that I can't fathom how I could've missed them had they already been in the environment.

Check on top of the water tank in Lei Elgona, I guess. If every chest exists at the same time then you should see one right there.

You generally have to trigger their quests. However, I did find one lying around by chance so I would assume that it's an uncommon occurrence.

There are some associated with the hints you get, and some spawn randomly. I had one spawn right next to me earlier today.

Yeah they're weird. The first one I found was just sitting in one of the mansions gardens which is why i asked.

So if the loot you get from them just randomised then? Once you have all the furniture and photo items do they just give you gems?

Yeah they're weird. The first one I found was just sitting in one of the mansions gardens which is why i asked.

So if the loot you get from them just randomised then? Once you have all the furniture and photo items do they just give you gems?

I'm not positive, but I think it's random. For instance, I got two gestures in a row from them earlier (
Donut
and
Wink
), and then two pieces of furniture in a row.

deanote666

Spoiler free version:

So I'm in "how to say goodbye" in the 3ed round I think. I'm hitting the boss but not doing damage 9/10 of the time. I activate the new mode from the last chapter but that still does 0 damage, and I'm losing health even with the regen effect.

How do you actually do damage to this boss?

Are all the treasure chests already in the world regardless of accepting treasure hints or not?

If you start a treasure hunt, whatever treasure boxes might already be on the map gets despawned in favor of the one the hunt is for. I have seen treasure boxes randomly but it is rare; I'm guessing the server tells the game it can spawn a specific one, but it's not like every possible treasure box is in the map at once.

Spoiler free version:

So I'm in "how to say goodbye" in the 3ed round I think. I'm hitting the boss but not doing damage 9/10 of the time. I activate the new mode from the last chapter but that still does 0 damage, and I'm losing health even with the regen effect.

How do you actually do damage to this boss?

Aim for the eyes.

Quick question, how did the preorder bonuses get delivered? I ordered from Newegg when they posted the preorder bonus on their site, but now it's gone (makes sense, since the game is out) and the CS rep says they have no record of ever having a bonus.

I really want to get into this series. I'd love to play the original, but it's so hard to find, and ebay is full of scummy resellers with high prices due to its limited release.

deanote666

If you start a treasure hunt, whatever treasure boxes might already be on the map gets despawned in favor of the one the hunt is for. I have seen treasure boxes randomly but it is rare; I'm guessing the server tells the game it can spawn a specific one, but it's not like every possible treasure box is in the map at once.

Aim for the eyes.

1 round before that. After Lisa shows up and before the mutation.

Help....I've done like 1 or 2 story missions and tried the mining area. I got totally wrecked by the monster at the end. Am I supposed to do this later after getting stronger?

Cha

So I've been pretty busy lately, and only got to play the opening portion of the game so far. Been playing in bed, and I really appreciate that remote play uses the Vita's gyro sensor. Only game I have on PS4, so I don't know if that's standard on every game, but I really appreciate it. Also, this game is just gorgeous! Just like GR1, I think Im gonna spend more time exploring and taking photos of random stuff instead of actually playing the game ;)

So I've been pretty busy lately, and only got to play the opening portion of the game so far. Been playing in bed, and I really appreciate that remote play uses the Vita's gyro sensor. Only game I have on PS4, so I don't know if that's standard on every game, but I really appreciate it. Also, this game is just gorgeous! Just like GR1, I think Im gonna spend more time exploring and taking photos of random stuff instead of actually playing the game ;)

I'm really curious how the gravity slide and dodges are mapped on Vita, since they're mapped to L2 and R2. Also, camera recentering, which is mapped to R3. I meant to try it myself but I can't find my charge cable.

Love the game but serious question.

If when designing your game, you know that the games camera struggles to handle close and interior environments, then why force the camera into close environments or provide enemies with grappling attacks where that literally slam the camera into the ground to the extent where the player can't see anything that's happening?

It feels as though the level and enemy design wasn't designed around the gameplay at times. Even phenominal action games like Bayonetta or Vanquish would likely face similar issues if they featured similar enemies and level design. During Bayonetta's most intense sequences the camera becomes fully scripted, yet Gravity Rush's player control camera persists even during the tightest of interior segments.

I understand why the player needs to be in control of the camera at all times in this type of game, of course, yet what I don't understand is why the level and enemy design wasn't a little more considerate of that. It doesn't actually bother me, in terms of my enjoyment all that significantly, but I feel that it's a very obvious issue that would have been simple to avoid and will harm the games overall reception. People will always remember this as a great game, but when they do their will always be detractors that mention features like an awful camera as a reason not to play it - and they're not wrong, for some more sensitive to these types of issues (which you're entitled to be) it can be a deal breaker.

McFadge

Help....I've done like 1 or 2 story missions and tried the mining area. I got totally wrecked by the monster at the end. Am I supposed to do this later after getting stronger?

That thing can be really tough early in the game. It is beatable, but not worth your while. Basically just throw stuff at it, and dodge in the air. You'll learn its attack patterns after a few rounds with it.

If you don't want to fight it, don't go to a mining site that has a Strange Gravitational Phenomena active. Short of that condition, mining sites just have ore and enemies (the amount of each inversely proportional to each other).

cheesekao

If when designing your game, you know that the games camera struggles to handle close and interior environments, then why force the camera into close environments or provide enemies with grappling attacks where that literally slam the camera into the ground to the extent where the player can't see anything that's happening?

It feels as though the level and enemy design wasn't designed around the gameplay at times. Even phenominal action games like Bayonetta or Vanquish would likely face similar issues if they featured similar enemies and level design. During Bayonetta's most intense sequences the camera becomes fully scripted, yet Gravity Rush's player control camera persists even during the tightest of interior segments.

I understand why the player needs to be in control of the camera at all times in this type of game, of course, yet what I don't understand is why the level and enemy design wasn't a little more considerate of that. It doesn't actually bother me, in terms of my enjoyment all that significantly, but I feel that it's a very obvious issue that would have been simple to avoid and will harm the games overall reception. People will always remember this as a great game, but when they do their will always be detractors that mention features like an awful camera as a reason not to play it - and they're not wrong, for some more sensitive to these types of issues (which you're entitled to be) it can be a deal breaker.
Maybe the playtesters were able to handle the camera more efficiently? I know I did because I have zero idea why people complain to the extent they do about that chapter. I won't deny that the camera can be an issue there but I easily regained control of the camera whenever it was off.

Milijango

If you're referring to episode 12, it's not as if the original game (or any other areas of this one) had any interiors, so I have to assume they just did not anticipate the camera and control issues. The game's control scheme doesn't allow for fixed camera positions, so when those problems arose they probably felt that the concept was too strong to just scrap it.

Unrelated note: the OT still calls Jirga Para Lhao the "Durga Parallel", which is what early press translated the city's name to. I doubt it's an intended link to Durga Angel but that's interesting nonetheless.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just Started this at the weekend. The tutorial/intro was a bit slow, but loved the traveling miner colony setting. Been having lots of fun now that I'm in the first town.

Really pleasantly surprised by the social elements. I had no idea there would be treasure hunts, let alone be able to help other players (and get a bonus from doing so).

The whole world is charming, and everything you do in it feels fun and cohesive. Traversal is a joy (especially Gravity Slide, which was pretty horrible being confined to gyro on Vita).

I speel my dreenk above said the visuals are "photogenic," which is the perfect word. Every frame is beautiful. Is there a way to turn off HUD elements for when you're flying around on a Share button spree?

Milijango

Just Started this at the weekend. The tutorial/intro was a bit slow, but loved the traveling miner colony setting. Been having lots of fun now that I'm in the first town.

Really pleasantly surprised by the social elements. I had no idea there would be treasure hunts, let alone be able to help other players (and get a bonus from doing so).

The whole world is charming, and everything you do in it feels fun and cohesive. Traversal is a joy (especially Gravity Slide, which was pretty horrible being confined to gyro on Vita).

I speel my dreenk above said the visuals are "photogenic," which is the perfect word. Every frame is beautiful. Is there a way to turn off HUD elements for when you're flying around on a Share button spree?

There are no HUD options, sadly. If you're not using your gravity gauge you can get HUD-free screenshots, though. You also have the option of using Kat's in-universe camera though it limits you to tiny square photos.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
There are no HUD options, sadly. If you're not using your gravity gauge you can get HUD-free screenshots, though. You also have the option of using Kat's in-universe camera though it limits you to tiny square photos.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the best bet is to start free-falling a second before hitting the shutter, haha. HUD options would be nice, though. Hopefully they can patch something in.

I'm still using the in-game camera from time to time, as taking part in treasure hunts has a lot of novelty value, and you can get some nice shots for Instagram, etc. (sharing with people who don't necessarily play games).

I'm usually not one for photo modes, but I love it so god damn much in this game. I like how the camera is built into the game; it's limiting enough so I'm not overwhelmed but has enough utility (thank god for tripod) to get the creative juices flowing. The gestures are also genius and really get me thinking about where I can take fun shots.

I spent probably over 7 hours getting all of these different photos. Post 1, Post 2, Post 3.

I'm going to be bumping the Gravity Rush 2 Photomode OT for the next couple weeks for sure.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the best bet is to start free-falling a second before hitting the shutter, haha. HUD options would be nice, though. Hopefully they can patch something in.

I'm still using the in-game camera from time to time, as taking part in treasure hunts has a lot of novelty value, and you can get some nice shots for Instagram, etc. (sharing with people who don't necessarily play games).

Unfortunately that doesn't really work; the HUD sticks around for a few seconds longer in that scenario (it doesn't go away until a few seconds after the gravity gauge recharges), and by the time it goes away you'll be falling at terminal velocity (maximum motion blur).

At the veeeeery end of the game there is one episode where you can fly around with no HUD other than a navigation marker, though there are other problems with using that episode for photo ops...

TripOpt55

I just finished this last night. Overall I really enjoyed it. The stuff I loved about the original is still here. Just falling around the game world is an absolute joy. I can have fun just collecting gems and exploring without even tackling any missions. Kat remains as delightful as ever. She is hilarious and I like the cast of characters in general.

Then there are some improvements made for the sequel. The new worlds are awesome, both beautiful and varied. I love the new gravity styles. They add a lot both movement and combat. I found myself switching between them depending on the situation. The way they tweaked the stasis field is fantastic and, along with the new styles, makes for much more varied combat.

I think the mission design is just so hit or miss. Some of the stealth missions or ones where they take away your powers (or frown on their use). Some of these bits where they just having you asking people in the area questions/showing them something. And that disastrous Episode 12. I don't know how they are making/playing that and don't realize it is in need of drastic changes.

I would have gladly got ridden of some of these side missions if it meant getting some more difficult challenges. Ones that really pushed my use of certain abilities. They have this wonderful moveset for both getting around and in combat and they didn't always get the best use of it. I guess they were trying to add variety with some of the missions particularly side ones, but I can't say they were all a success even if I generally enjoy the funny little stories they tell.

Anyway, I wish the missions were more consistent. I think then it could have been a real home run. That is my one real issue with the game. Otherwise I had a blast. I look forward to playing the Raven DLC and plan to chip away at the platinum for this over time.

Finished the game the other night, and wow, those final setpieces.

LATE GAME SPOILERS:

Once you control Raven in the beginning of episode 24, I marked out completely. The music is incredible, especially since it's such a heroic variation of Raven's theme. And kudos to one of the comments on that video catching the reprise of the original Gravity Rush title theme around 4:20, because I definitely didn't notice that at first.

Doing a second playthrough, taking my time, and I'm enjoying it much more. Rushing through may have hampered my enjoyment a bit. I do think it takes far too long to get the styles though.
Out of curiosity, did you start a new save from scratch or did you just replay the missions from 1 onwards? I'm still unsure on what would be better. Especially since I'm sure I don't want to farm those gems again.

I think I'm at the final boss and
a prompt to hit the center touch button is coming up but nothing is happening.
Is this a glitch?

black070

Yeah, but nothing. I started over again and it worked. Huh.

Where am I supposed to go to follow the flying blonde ... person?

Check all the conversations on the map - go to the ones that explicitly state talking to a mysterious shining girl, there should be like 3-4.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately that doesn't really work; the HUD sticks around for a few seconds longer in that scenario (it doesn't go away until a few seconds after the gravity gauge recharges), and by the time it goes away you'll be falling at terminal velocity (maximum motion blur).

At the veeeeery end of the game there is one episode where you can fly around with no HUD other than a navigation marker, though there are other problems with using that episode for photo ops...

That's a bit of a shame, but the game is fun enough as it is, so no harm done.
Hopefully they can add the option in. Can be very bare-bones, like literally "HUD ON/OFF."

I'm usually not one for photo modes, but I love it so god damn much in this game. I like how the camera is built into the game; it's limiting enough so I'm not overwhelmed but has enough utility (thank god for tripod) to get the creative juices flowing. The gestures are also genius and really get me thinking about where I can take fun shots.

I spent probably over 7 hours getting all of these different photos. Post 1, Post 2, Post 3.

I'm going to be bumping the Gravity Rush 2 Photomode OT for the next couple weeks for sure.

Great shots! I can see myself spending a lot of time with it, too. I really don't want to rush this one!

Top Bottom