• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Alrighty all done with those photo collectibles. Took longer than expected.

Just need to do the challenge missions then collect gems and I'm finished.

If you're referring to episode 12, it's not as if the original game (or any other areas of this one) had any interiors, so I have to assume they just did not anticipate the camera and control issues. The game's control scheme doesn't allow for fixed camera positions, so when those problems arose they probably felt that the concept was too strong to just scrap it.

Unrelated note: the OT still calls Jirga Para Lhao the "Durga Parallel", which is what early press translated the city's name to. I doubt it's an intended link to Durga Angel but that's interesting nonetheless.

Ep 12, there's also that segment of the game early on with the rebels where you get attacked in a slum which has a roof, which has notably bad cameraing.

Kali
also has grappling attacks that abruptly throw you into walls, in my experience these often caused camera issues.

A lot of third person games would have camera issues if the player faced environments and enemies like these. I think a lot of people claim the game has a bad camera, but it doesn't, really, it's just the environments don't suit its camera.

If we compare it to Infamous and Prototype, those games have a camera that holds together, mostly because they don't put you in these kind of environments. If Infamous requires you to play in close-quarters interior segments, these are usually moments of the game where you have lost your powers or something of that sort, and the games never have any enemies that pick you up and take control away from you.

Ep 12 could have been resolved by flattening much of it out and removing Kat's gravity powers for this segment. The rooms that the intersecting fights take place in are really odd environmentally, lots of protroduding surfaces and whatnot, they could have retained a similar atmosphere while taking Kat's gravity shifting powers away and thereby being friendlier on the camera.

Rektash

I think all this games camera problems could be fixed by letting the camera enter objects, rendering them transparently or not at all. Just let the camera enter all geometry except maybe floor level.

That would probably result in some situations not looking quite as good but in the end that would be preferable over the camera spazzing out or getting forced in some weird position where you can't see shit anymore.

Maybe the playtesters were able to handle the camera more efficiently? I know I did because I have zero idea why people complain to the extent they do about that chapter. I won't deny that the camera can be an issue there but I easily regained control of the camera whenever it was off.

I mean so did I, but you shouldn't have to regain control of the camera.

I don't think you can blame the players either, there are certain instances that just mess the camera up full stop. Pres Kat's default special ability (triangle) and the camera can get into all sorts of awkward angles beyond the players control.

I think all this games camera problems could be fixed by letting the camera enter objects, rendering them transparently or not at all. Just let the camera enter all geometry except maybe floor level.

That would probably result in some situations not looking quite as good but in the end that would be preferable over the camera spazzing out or getting forced in some weird position where you can't see shit anymore.

That might help significantly but I've not seen that applied in a large scale open world environment before. At least I don't think I have, there may be a reason for that?

daveo42

Banned
So I just cleared Chapter 3
and I completely didn't expect it to end that quickly. The fight with Kali and Durga (Cecie) was actually tough as opposed to most of the other fights up to that point in the game. I enjoyed them, including Kali going Akira near the end. I do wish I didn't have to fight the camera as much, especially during some of the larger aerial battles.

Lisa showing up during the fight seemed rather pointless outside of giving Cecie a brief moment of clarity. Her end credits comments tho were amazing. I'm dead set on Syd being Alias, even though I've subscribed to that theory since the first game. I guess I'll find out if I'm right soon.
Seems like there is still a ton of stuff left to wrap up. Super surprised at my current time in game. I've put over 40hrs in so far and there's still stuff left to see.

muteki

Wrapped up story 100% and did all the side quests, I think that is it for me until the DLC comes out which I am really looking forward to.

Overall:
+If you like Kat in the first game, this game gives you that plus a ton more and then some.
+Art is still gorgeous and a joy to look at and fly through.
+There are many many side quests but they are all unique, varied, full of content and outside of the annoying one here or there I wish every game could have side quests like this.
+Part of (2) really but the NPCs have beautiful designs.
+I enjoyed the additional gravity styles even if controlling the other two had its issues.

-I didn't really like Jirga Para Lhao that much. To explain why I'd have to write a wall of text but really just enjoyed my time in Heksville better.
-Combat, overall, I think comes in even with the first game if not slightly lower. Gravity Kick spam has been replaced with Throwing spam. Gravity Kick tracking is much worse. SP bar reset means I just never use those moves.
-Character progression (power up, talismans) is so much worse here. For so many more gems I feel like you get much less actual growth, compared to the first game. I'm not maxed out but looking at the descriptions of what's left I don't really feel it to be worth the effort.
-Bosses, especially the larger ones, are just bad, and a waste of potential.
-This gets more or less resolved as time goes on but I really wish at the beginning there was more there from a narrative standpoint to tie you in to the first game.

That seems like a lot of negatives but I never really felt the game was a drag or I was struggling to finish. For me at least Kat and the art in general goes a really long way. While I don't think I'll be doing a lot of the other side stuff I really enjoyed my time with the game, and that DLC can't come sooner.

cheesekao

I don't think you can blame the players either, there are certain instances that just mess the camera up full stop. Pres Kat's default special ability (triangle) and the camera can get into all sorts of awkward angles beyond the players control.
99% of the time, simply returning to neutral gravity will fix the camera for me in those situations so I suggest people try that if they're having trouble.

burgerdog

『Inaba Resident』;229822043 said:
The PSO2 collab outfit is
unfortunately
up on EU PSN. Guess its coming to US in a day or so

lol Unfortunately. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Elios83

I've finished the game. Overall I liked it and it was a great sequel but there are quite a few flaws that drag the experience down. The camera can fail a lot (episode 12 was a nightmare in this sense) even more than in the original game, the forced stealth sections are pure trial and error stuff because the game doesn't have any actual stealth mechanics in it, the story in the main campaign is kinda bad (besides the final part), chapter 1 in particular seems to be way undercooked, actually I feel that the whole new Jirga Para Lhao setting is not used to its full potential and then the game returns to Hekesville.
Still the game has a beautiful world, with great fighting mechanics, lots of funny sidemissions, challenges and tons of things to do.
Overall I'd give it a 8/10, given the quality of what they achieved on Vita I honestly expected better though.

99% of the time, simply returning to neutral gravity will fix the camera for me in those situations so I suggest people try that if they're having trouble.

Returning to neutral gravity doesn't fix the camera messing up while you're doing a special attack, or while a boss is smalling you into a wall with a grab.

But yes, there are ways to fix it, but the point is that the user shouldn't have to, and being able to fix it isn't going to prevent just about every reviewer out there docking points for a bad camera work.

Guymelef

So I finished Gold at challenge " Customer Service 1" and where the fuck is the talisman ""customer appreciation"?
Don't see it in the list...
¿Bug?

Ferr986

『Inaba Resident』;229822043 said:
The PSO2 collab outfit is
unfortunately
up on EU PSN. Guess its coming to US in a day or so

Thanks god its a separate download and not a game update.

Fireblend

Banned
How much time does it take to finish the last string of chapters (21-27)? I finished all of the sidequests so all that's left for me is enjoying the rest of the story all the way to the end.

Thanks. They are marked as conversations, weird:/

I can also see this being confusing if someone was to ignore the conversations after a while, since they tend to not lead to anything or be very interesting (even though I made it a point to check each and every one, anyway...). That's one thing I wish they'd have fleshed out/done more with.

I do love that they just call her 'Shiny Girl' though.

I can also see this being confusing if someone was to ignore the conversations after a while, since they tend to not lead to anything or be very interesting (even though I made it a point to check each and every one, anyway...). That's one thing I wish they'd have fleshed out/done more with.

I don't get tired of it, and I'm still finding a bunch of hidden conversations (there's a lot of them that aren't marked on the map at all and rely on you finding people you know on the street).

I don't get tired of it, and I'm still finding a bunch of hidden conversations (there's a lot of them that aren't marked on the map at all and rely on you finding people you know on the street).

Yeah, the ones where someone from a side mission would come up to you out of nowhere were really cool, and then others do start quests. It's just that the majority of conversations are someone ranting for a few lines, then Kat going "oh shit..." and then you leave, and that's it.

LotusHD

Banned
I rather have conversations from stuff like Gravity Rush, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. as opposed to other games that have the NPCs within them not talk at all, essentially act as nothing more than window dressing unless they're giving out a quest. They may not necessarily have anything important to say, but it goes a long way in making the world less soulless.

Some of these photo hints are vague.

Marketplace: Near the bottom of the building away from the center.

That could be a lot of buildings. O_O

At least the sea horse statue will be a "Eureka!" moment when I find it.

It's in the denser city area and not the marketplace where Banga is moored (which is actually called a different name than what's on the map in the hints - were they originally intended to be marked as different areas?)

Finding the statue is pretty easy, but I had a rough time finding the painting near it.

It's in the denser city area and not the marketplace where Banga is moored (which is actually called a different name than what's on the map in the hints - were they originally intended to be marked as different areas?)

Finding the statue is pretty easy, but I had a rough time finding the painting near it.

That narrows it down at least, thanks!

Though it still could be a lot of buildings. O_O

At least I'm finding a lot of gems.

I rather have conversations from stuff like Gravity Rush, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. as opposed to other games that have the NPCs within them not talk at all, essentially act as nothing more than window dressing unless they're giving out a quest. They may not necessarily have anything important to say, but it goes a long way in making the world less soulless.

Absolutely. Maybe I'm just trying to find something about the game to criticize, since I really only want to gush about it :p

tsundoku

Battle Nurse II spoilers:

WHAT DID I DO WRONG???

SOMETIMES THE GAME JUST BREKS
spoilers for 2nd half of the game environments:
https://youtu.be/h8XInSkrYmE

The FPS drops like shit when playing Finding the Idol II. Holy shit...

My ps4 straight up crashed the first time I completed it and it had been a while since I manual saved :<
Luckily I had like zero problems with those quests, I did stumble a couple times on the double staircase hopping / challenge one that everyone despises but got through it pretty quickly regardless

LATE GAME SPOILERS:

Once you control Raven in the beginning of episode 24, I marked out completely. The music is incredible, especially since it's such a heroic variation of Raven's theme. And kudos to one of the comments on that video catching the reprise of the original Gravity Rush title theme around 4:20, because I definitely didn't notice that at first.

I was surprised to watch a stream post network patch where it looked like that fight got nerfed? When I did it I had basically
level 1 gravity gauge, level 1 health, and 6 stasis field slots. the streamer I was watching had 12 slots for stasis field and what seemed to be the same health value if not more then he had as Kat (he wasn't doing sidequests much). He also tried mashing attack during Raven's spiralling claw gravity kick which wasn't something I ever tried and it basically killed the boss in 0.2 seconds instead of plinking away for almost zero damage. So i'm not sure if the fight was always supposed to be easy and I just never tried mashing the button or if Raven's damage also got boosted post patch

Just look them up, I spent like two days and 6 hours and didn't finish like a quarter of them. Those ones in Lei Colmosna are especially awful because of how gigantic those buildings are and how you're going around from bottom to top looking for multiple photos and listening to your gravity gauge yell at you
Kind of disappointing after the first game had the travellers and the rare nevi hidden so cleverly

Just look them up, I spent like two days and 6 hours and didn't finish like a quarter of them. Those ones in Lei Colmosna are especially awful because of how gigantic those buildings are and how you're going around from bottom to top looking for multiple photos and listening to your gravity gauge yell at you
Kind of disappointing after the first game had the travellers and the rare nevi hidden so cleverly

I maaaaay have abused the Ultimate Talisman for this one. lol

SOMETIMES THE GAME JUST BREKS
spoilers for 2nd half of the game environments:
https://youtu.be/h8XInSkrYmE

That jump was amazing :O

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the Phantasy Star Online 2 Collaboration Pack is rolling out

tsundoku

It was just up on the canadian store and i hit the button to download it thru the browser and now that I logged in its erroring out and seems to have been removed from the page?
Checking my console :v

Blobbers

Is Lunar Style Wormhole Kick the best way to deal with those little piranha swarms that shoot fire? It's kinda wonky for me, because it wont follow up with another wormhole kick and instead does a regular kick into the air when I press Square, Square. Also the wormhole kick drains insane energy.
These guys are by far my least favorite encounter when you don't have stuff to throw with stasis.

LotusHD

Banned
Is Lunar Style Wormhole Kick the best way to deal with those little piranha swarms that shoot fire? It's kinda wonky for me, because it wont follow up with another wormhole kick and instead does a regular kick into the air when I press Square, Square. Also the wormhole kick drains insane energy.
These guys are by far my least favorite encounter when you don't have stuff to throw with stasis.

Yes, Wormhole kick ftw

The Behind the Scenes challenge missions are so bullshit.

Randomised spawns of pedestrians so you can turn a corner and have three people standing there and be caught instantly.

maouvin

Just finished it! Will try to get to 6000 DT (I'm at ~5600, but the bonus is ending soon...) and finish all the challenges. The rest, if I manage to keep away from the game for so long, will be left for whenever I get a Pro (hopefully before the DLC).

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Just finished it and I'm quite lost...

What were the Nevi? How is Syd even alive? Was Alias built by Kat's kingdom? Why are Raven and Kat connected?

Cherry

Banned
Got this on launch, but was waiting to get my copy of remastered before I started it. Remastered arrived today and I beat it in one sitting, glad I supported this title at launch because that was one hell of a ride.

The motion controls are so fluid, and mix perfectly with the analog camera. So far GR2 seems like more of the same (in a good way) with more money thrown at it. I didn't give this series a chance before recently, now I'm curious what the original on Vita plays like.

Yeah, I may or may not come back to post updates, but I am sure I'll be enjoying GR2.

Gravidee

The Behind the Scenes challenge missions are so bullshit.

Randomised spawns of pedestrians so you can turn a corner and have three people standing there and be caught instantly.

This is dumb, but thankfully it doesn't seem to happen often, at least to me. If you're in a tight spot, remember to wall jump. I managed to leap over a small stationary group by doing so.

Just finished it tonight. Overall I thought it was a wonderful game. Very fun and charming. I thought the additions were great, and there are some negatives but nothing to really bring down my enjoyment substantially.

I still need quite a few gems for maxing out Kat however. I have 62k total and by the looks of it I need at least another 20k, probably more. I've scoured a lot of the world and 100% challenges so I'm not really sure where to go. Mining is super tedious and only pays out 1 count gems from what I can see. Anyone find a fast way to get enough to max out?

Number45

Pretty much the only time I put myself in another style voluntarily is for that kick - anything that's fast (or that might fire a projectile at you) is easiest to take down with that kick. You can upgrade it (either through powering up or talismans I think) to allow you to follow up with multiple normal combo kicks too.

Just finished it tonight. Overall I thought it was a wonderful game. Very fun and charming. I thought the additions were great, and there are some negatives but nothing to really bring down my enjoyment substantially.

I still need quite a few gems for maxing out Kat however. I have 62k total and by the looks of it I need at least another 20k, probably more. I've scoured a lot of the world and 100% challenges so I'm not really sure where to go. Mining is super tedious and only pays out 1 count gems from what I can see. Anyone find a fast way to get enough to max out?

Replay chapter 19 and get to the point where you have to jump across the platforms in lunar style, when you get to the point with no more gems (should be ~90m from the goal) save and load and you'll be back at the start of that section with all gems respawned.
Get around 900 per trip.

I've been enjoying this game for the most part, but god damn, missions 11 and 12 were some bullshit. I haven't been so angry at a game in a long time. Maybe I'm just forgetting, but I don't remember combat and the camera ever being so frusturating in the original. While I appreciate the effort to make the combat mechanics deeper, I never felt it was that important in the first place, the real enjoyment came from just floating around. The original was such a relaxing game for me, even during boss fights, but there have a couple moments in this game now where it hasn't felt that way.

Even though I knew it would happen, I was still excited when Kat went back to Heksville. The music is just so damn good.

Top Bottom