• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Ken

This game is just a joy to play.

Up to mission 5 so far and my only complaint are the battles. Did I miss that there's some sort of lock-on? Battles are really annoying with the lack of this.

There is. I can't recall what button it is or how you do it but you can have your gravity kicks home in onto the enemy's orbs. No lock on for normal kicks though.

A GAFfer (I think it was Hasemo) asked Toyama directly about the lack of a retry button and the response was that putting one in was actually much more difficult than they imagined it would be, and as such, weren't able to do it. It must have something to do with the way the game loads between the worlds.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
A GAFfer (I think it was Hasemo) asked Toyama directly about the lack of a retry button and the response was that putting one in was actually much more difficult than they imagined it would be, and as such, weren't able to do it. It must have something to do with the way the game loads between the worlds.

Hasemo's pretty boss, I'm not going to lie.

I'm about 5 chapters in. Gravity Rush has an impressive world that's a joy to explore thanks to beautiful graphics and a fun core mechanic.

Eusis

My only complaints with the visuals is that I wish textures were sharper and (likely more importantly?) that it could've been native resolution. But hell, I wish all Vita games could be native resolution, bugs me way more than sub-HD games on consoles ever have, likely because even 720p games don't exactly match the resolution of a 720p TV anyway.

Baust

I'm currently 6 Chapters in myself. The game is incredibly fun to play, and I'm totally digging flying around the city with the gravity. Reminds me of Mega Man Legends a bit.

Is there a way to not make Kat immediately start shifting when you pick up a throwable item?

That is making the pitching challenge way too annoying for me. It seems possible to get stunlocked where you need to pick up an item but the enemy just keeps slapping it out of your hand because you can't move away in time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is there a way to not make Kat immediately start shifting when you pick up a throwable item?

That is making the pitching challenge way too annoying for me. It seems possible to get stunlocked where you need to pick up an item but the enemy just keeps slapping it out of your hand because you can't move away in time.

It is indeed very annoying. I recommend pushing L right after picking up an object. That way you can run around on foot with the item and later launch into the air with it (if needed).

Eusis

Not that I've seen, but I'd press O then L immediately afterwards and I could run around and throw the item at my leisure. It allowed me to go from making a pitiful score to actually earning crystals.

EDIT: Beaten, though there's still several annoying quirks with the controls.

Other than lengthy load times for challenges and some minor control quirks, this game has pretty much exceeded my fairly high expectations. It's one of those games I can spend several dozens of minutes just running around the open world. Moving around and using powers are tons of fun. Really like how stylish the animations are.

Did the first three chapters plus a side mission so far

Loving it, but it feels like that the combat could get a wee bit trickier as the game progresses

And I love tilting the system during the panel scenes

Duffyside

Banned
Couldn't resist owning the box art of this, but Amazon never fixed their lack of Day 1 shipping, so it'll be a week or so before I can join the praise-party.

woo

finally got dl to work here in china.

Had to buy a psn code from bestbuy.

Now dling at the super fast rate of... yeah, gonna be done in 350mins.

Kiyo

UPS screwed up my delivery from Amazon
Pkg delay-add'l security check by gov't or other agency- beyond UPS control.
Never seen that before. So I just decided to get it off PSN. Game is great so far and it ended up being cheaper on PSN then through Amazon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope you guys don't try to throw your Vita when attempting to platinum this game. :]

ksimm

C'mon Asda, dispatch my copy already!

Ughhh I knew I shouldn't have gone with a company I've never used before just to save a 5 quid! I pre-ordered something else from them last week that was released Monday and I still don't have it, so there's no hope for Gravity Rush. :[

Edit: oh lol I've just checked and it's 'Fully Dispatched' *eats crow* woohoo
Edit part deux: omg delivery Hermes, one of the worst couriers :eek:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it hard ?

Does GR have online pass ?

More like frustrating because of the controls.

Any tips how to gold trophy the airship race for those who platted the game or did the challenges?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Am I the only one who is completely fucking blown away by the graphics and controls? I'm really not trying to be a troll when I say this, I think the experience is better than anything I played on PSP, mainly due to the controls. I'm so happy with this game.

But it's also incredibly polished. It shows a lot of attention to detail with the way she reacts to the world, the UI, and the presentation of the story. Totally top notch.

I give it 5/5 Isaac Newtons.

Ughhh I knew I shouldn't have gone with a company I've never used before just to save a 5 quid! I pre-ordered something else from them last week that was released Monday and I still don't have it, so there's no hope for Gravity Rush. :[

Edit: oh lol I've just checked and it's 'Fully Dispatched' *eats crow* woohoo
Edit part deux: omg delivery Hermes, one of the worst couriers :eek:

I've just checked my order and it says 'Fully Dispatched' too, despite no an email notification alerting me to the fact. Oh well, whatever, I just want the game tomorrow.

ULTROS!

Finally platinumed the game. My first Vita platinum and my 15th overall.

jc9MFQsuv0Lr.jpg

Here's my short review on the game. I will divide it into story, music and environment, gameplay and controls, and content.

Story:
For one, the story isn't cringeworthy and is actually enjoyable. Unfortunately the story seems incomplete and some things aren't explained well. At the end of the game, you will definitely have a few questions. The story isn't bad by all means, in fact I found the story nice, not cringeworthy, and kinda neat.

Music and Environment:
The best aspect in the game. The music is godlike (sample music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Tq-e9XDW4 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRf5XKeo-DQ) because of Kohei Tanaka (Resonance of Fate, Alundra). The music varies from "i'm going on an adventure!" sounding music to sweet and delicate sounds to classy French flavors.

The environment of this game is breathtaking because of its immense size. Not as big as GTA's world but I believe bigger than Infamous' world... And this is considered impressive since the entire world is seamless (except for the long loading times during challenge and story transitions).

Gameplay and Controls:
Regarding gameplay, there's enough things to do (such as challenges and searching for people), but otherwise there's little replay value after doing all this.

The controls are the biggest problem in the game. That doesn't mean the game is unplayable, in fact the controls work fine and relatively easy to understand. The problem is the slide-y or inaccurate landing/aiming of the gravity fall, the frustrating tilting gravity slide, and the wonky camera. These definitely make the challenges frustrating (I almost threw my Vita because of that :p).

Content:
Like what I previously said, there's little replay value in this game. There isn't a boatload of content (rather enough for a portable title), but it's fun to explore every nook and cranny of the game.

tl;dr - The game is fantastic and I recommend people to play this if they want something nice, new, great looking, and fresh. Just stay away from gold trophying the challenges if you don't care much about trophies and you get infuriated easily.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just started and played 2 hours without noticing. The mechanics are really fun. If that isnt a must have for Vita, then I dont know what is.

Question regarding trophies:

There are 4 sets of trophies, are the 3 other than the normal game DLC trophies? And we only got the Warrior DLC for free, right? Can we already buy the others or will their release be staggered?

Lockon

Just started and played 2 hours without noticing. The mechanics are really fun. If that isnt a must have for Vita, then I dont know what is.

Question regarding trophies:

There are 4 sets of trophies, are the 3 other than the normal game DLC trophies? And we only got the Warrior DLC for free, right? Can we already buy the others or will their release be staggered?

From a couple pages back:
They also released a launch trailer and the dates of the DLC releases:

June 26th: Spy Pack
July 10th: Maid Pack
July 24th: Military Pack

Each will go for $3.99 on PSN.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Checked Asda and mine has shipped, woop woop, just got to wait now.
I wish we had Tuesday/Wednesday release dates for all games here, is there a reason why the UK has most of its games on Friday?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The preorder DLC is the Military Pack.

Weird that the one we got for free is the last one released. Ah well! Don't mind, less time to wait until I have all then :)

Thanks!

Top Bottom