• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The demo seemed to have some horrid loading times. Is this true of the final version?

Yeah. The final version takes 15-20 seconds to load (but that's during story, challenge retry, and full transitions, which aren't that many).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah... it's odd how vita speakers are quite quiet, while 3ds speakers are fucking loud when cranked up.

Should i have the music cranked up for this?
Hmm, perhaps my 3DS has a problem then as the Vita and 3DS both play at similar volumes for me (both are too quiet).

I'm dabbling around with old handhelds again and it always surprises me just how LOUD the Sega GameGear was. It doesn't sound good, mind you, but it's fucking loud.

My only complaints with the visuals is that I wish textures were sharper and (likely more importantly?) that it could've been native resolution. But hell, I wish all Vita games could be native resolution, bugs me way more than sub-HD games on consoles ever have, likely because even 720p games don't exactly match the resolution of a 720p TV anyway.
The textures aren't bad, really. It's the lack of anisotropic filtering that absolutely murders the detail in each scene, however. That would make a huge difference (as would a higher resolution).

Played up to Episode 3 last night, and my goodness this game is amazing. The graphics, the way the story is told, the gravity defying Kat... all of it, I love it. <3

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Bah! My copy finally arrived in Los Angeles! You have no idea how tempting it is to take off work today and wait for it to show up at the apartment, but knowing UPS, it won't get here until 5 anyway, which would just be a waste of work.

*sigh* It's going to be a long day either way. Might as well get paid for it! Off to work!

theBishop

Banned
Played up to Episode 3 last night, and my goodness this game is amazing. The graphics, the way the story is told, the gravity defying Kat... all of it, I love it. <3

Same here. I finished setting up the "bedroom". I'm loving the mechanics. It definitely makes me excited for other open world games (Infamous! Just Cause!) on Vita.

The comic panels with gyro control are a fun gimmick. It's so weird and cool that the image holds its orientation while you turn the screen. I could imagine a game like Hotel Dusk where clues are hidden in the panel and you find them by tilting the screen.

I've got 2 gripes:

#1: Real voiceovers would've been nice. The story is incomprehensible so far.

#2: Targeting feels a little wonky. Kicks and "falling" overshoot the reticule.

I've been playing exclusively with headphones, which i rarely do with the Vita, but I felt like this was the right game to do it with. The sound is amazing. And that music... god it's so good.

I'm really glad this wasn't a letdown. There's so much freakin' hate for this system that just reading the internet can be exhausting. I'm not really looking to win any fanboy wars but it's nice to have a fantastic, imaginative and original IP to hang our hat on.

this.

I just don't understand the harsh reviews this game is getting here and there. it's by no means a perfect 10 but I'm getting the feeling that some journalists are mad about lack of games and are beating GR up too much for not being perfect.

I downloaded it when I arrived to work today (after lot's of MGS2HD last night) and was pleasantly surprised to see I also got the Military Pack DLC; also, is it just me or does the retail game blow the Demo visually out of the water? Holy shit this game is drop dead gorgeous...

Trying to sneak in play time ><

A heads up for everyone in Europe that wanted the digital edition, the game just showed up for me! Now am I that impatient and cancel my Amazon order to get it on PSN...?

What's the price on PSN?

34.99&#8364; for me which puts me in a double pinch as I only can add funds via PSN cards. I currently have 14.50&#8364; on my account so I lack 49 cents to buy it with a single 20&#8364; card :(

I knew from the very beginning that buying 25 cent avatars would someday bring me into a situation like this.

Twinduct

Physical copies only show up on the 22nd June here.
Went bought via psn (same price .. surprisingly).
Now I'm back to having debt on my CC .. so sad.

Ragus

Banned
I love starting up the game and just fucking around. You know - collecting those purple orbs, making pirouettes in the sky and so on.

34.99&#8364; for me which puts me in a double pinch as I only can add funds via PSN cards. I currently have 14.50&#8364; on my account so I lack 49 cents to buy it with a single 20&#8364; card :(

Ouch...it's not worth it for me personally. It's 37,99 in stores over here. But hey, if you got those credits, it might be interesting but I would save the credits for PSN-only titles like the upcoming Oddworld etc.

The_Monk

Amazing OT love the colors from it.

Shame I got no Vita, my last portable gaming console was a Game Boy Pocket back in the day!

Love this game so far. So good. I spent way too much time trying to gold that first challenge though, and still haven't. I keep having my time run out just as I reach those big hoppy guys, and my score is 270 or so every time. I'm guessing that beating them gets me a time extension?

Love this game so far. So good. I spent way too much time trying to gold that first challenge though, and still haven't. I keep having my time run out just as I reach those big hoppy guys, and my score is 270 or so every time. I'm guessing that beating them gets me a time extension?

someone said earlier that you should probably left gold challenge until you level up more, otherwise it'd be pretty hard I assume.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
someone said earlier that you should probably left gold challenge until you level up more, otherwise it'd be pretty hard I assume.

I recommend maxing all your stats (particularly the gravity speed, gravity related, and stasis stats) before attempting the gold. The first area has easy challenges but one challenge in that area (racing I believe) can be pretty hard until you max out your stats.

The ones that are easy are the time attacks and the gravity stasis related ones. The normal ones are the energy races. The hardest are the free races and the gravity slide races.

Ouch...it's not worth it for me personally. It's 37,99 in stores over here. But hey, if you got those credits, it might be interesting but I would save the credits for PSN-only titles like the upcoming Oddworld etc.

Yeah I suppose you have a point... it's just terribly mean that most of Europe already got their physical copies it seems and for once my country is dead set on the date :(

Purexed

Banned
Enjoying this a lot too. Those of you dissatisfied by the poor volume should consider getting a Jawbone Jambox. It's a wireless Bluetooth speaker that sounds fantastic and has great bass. Feels like I'm playing a console game with that thing.

Just bought it at the store I pre-ordered it at. Somehow they only received one DLC pre-order code and I didn't get it. Kinda feel bummed. Also, the lack of paper manual is kind of a letdown aswell, seeing as Japan did get one.

But hey, gonna start it up now so I'm sure I'll feel alot better in a couple minutes. :3

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game.

Character animation and art is sublime.

But in terms of screwing around in the world, it really feels like the second coming of Crackdown.

The orb hunting has begun.

george_us

I'm up to Episode 5 and I'm really digging this game. Loving the art style, the music, and especially the story. Kat's a pretty cool character. The only thing I don't like so far is the quest design. You have sweet gravity powers and yet I've taken part of a
shitty stealth mission and a fetch quest
but I hope it gets better. Still, the core mechanics and everything else is pretty great.

Yaska

Got to chapter 3 (just played it briefly). Gotta say that I'm very happy that I bought this out of a whim. Very pleased so far. Had to tone down the camera sensitivity, but other than that so far fun game.

Also Solarus, UK psn will get it on 15th.

ttocs

I waited up until close to midnight last night hoping the PSN would update. It never did. I did start the download this morning so when I get home tonight, it's on. I've been looking forward to this one for a while now.

Mrbob

This game.

Character animation and art is sublime.

But in terms of screwing around in the world, it really feels like the second coming of Crackdown.

The orb hunting has begun.

Haha, I'm not the only going full Crackdown mode hunting for Orbs. The graphics and animation are amazing.

What a pleasant surprise. Couldn't stop playing last night, really am enjoying the heck outta this and it's not something I thought I'd enjoy. I'm really digging the world and want to know more, how the game tells the story is fantastic and the mechanics are actually quite a bit of fun.

It's a good enough game to buy a Vita for, imo.

ttocs

What a pleasant surprise. Couldn't stop playing last night, really am enjoying the heck outta this and it's not something I thought I'd enjoy. I'm really digging the world and want to know more, how the game tells the story is fantastic and the mechanics are actually quite a bit of fun.

It's a good enough game to buy a Vita for, imo.

I've been hearing a lot of that. This is apparently the system seller the Vita has always so desperately needed.

chapter 7 just got into new area, the music is so good. and I'm so in awe with the town design. so multi layered that it function really well no matter which gravity you shift to, I actually like to walk on street level from time to time instead of just flying through the air to get into my destination. the various stairs, tunnels, that always seems interconnected etc is great.

Haha, I'm not the only going full Crackdown mode hunting for Orbs. The graphics and animation are amazing.

this :) ...

& it's occurred to me that, had many reviewers had the time to do this, &, in the process, become more comfortable with the controls, as opposed to roaring through the story, they might've had a better time with the game...

(i'm also thinking that lock-on targeting would've helped, too...)

right? How do people still not get this. Spoiler anything story related. Anything. If you're not sure - spoiler it. ESPECIALLY IF THE GAME JUST CAME OUT.

i think you know the answer :) ...

Top Bottom