• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Between this and Lollipop Chainsaw I am jumping back and forth so much. Gravity Rush is a lot better than what I got out of the demo, love the combat, flow of exploration and hilarious dialogue.

T.O.P

Banned
Played a couple of hours, getting perfect control of gravity shift and sliding is gonna take a while but i'm already having a blast with what i can do right now, the game is gorgeous, exploring the city from different angles while catching "globes" is really fun, godlike soundtrack and Kat looks like a really loveable character <3

Vita is saved

She's not the main antagonist

She's a princess/queen of a foreign dimension. I'm not sure whether Gade or the crazy blue haired girl is directly responsible for creating the world. But the blue haired girl is dreaming up what occurs in it. Time runs differently in the underground place with all the trees. It was never explained how she got her guardian.

It's also implied that the area above the city operates in a similar fashion, opposite to the roots. In the art book it shows that the 'world' they live on is a tree, and the town with the children is located at the very bottom in the roots, something I never noticed. The implication is that Kat is some kind of royalty, but they keep it intentionally vague seeing that the creators really want to make a sequel.

For those who got it off of amazon. How long does it take for the code to arrive? I just recieved my game and there was no insert with a code or anything. is it emailed?

Kimo

Neo Member
Ok this game is awesome so far. Really hard to stop playing. Can`t wait for Gravity Rush 2 that will be a instant buy for me.

Koroviev

For those who got it off of amazon. How long does it take for the code to arrive? I just recieved my game and there was no insert with a code or anything. is it emailed?

You should receive it via email. I actually received the DLC code before the game yesterday.

Mr.Fresh

Wow this is the first handheld game I got hooked on since birth by sleep. I just can not stop playing. I really hope this sells well so it can get a sequel.

Alright so I carved in and bought it on PSN, this seemed ultimately like the better deal for me and I played about one and a half hours so far, this game is nothing short of amazing!

It's actually the first and only game that gives me motion sickness and you know what? I don't even see it as a bad thing, I am hardly that immersed in games though for me Gravity Rush just nails it from the atmosphere. It also helps that Kat is
so natural in her behavior. How she responds to people and her surroundings and her inner monologues seem to me like every other normal person
which I don't see all too often in games.

If the game holds up I don't know for myself yet as I'm only at the part where you
help Alias by mistake stealing the gem
but especially after all the mostly positive feedback I'm sure this game will hold up for me personally too! :)

Still on the fence about picking this up.

Enjoyed the demo, but the reviews seem pretty low with a lot of mixed feelings.

Did the press just get this one wrong?

jgmo870

Banned

I think so. There's a lot of complaints in reviews about how some enemies quickly dodge your attack at the last second. What these people aren't doing, it seems, is finding out the nuances behind each Nevi type. Once you do, they'll go down easily. Boss fights play similarly. There's a pattern to all of the enemies.

Combat's fun too, when you get the hang of it.

Ken

It's a great game but there are a few flaws. I could see a sequel fixing them getting more consistent reviews.

Carl

It's the problem Sony faces with the Vita:

Gamers; We want intriguing, fun, and quality games for the Vita before I buy one!!

Sony: Ok, here's Gravity Rush!

Gamers: Meh, it looks awesome, but, you know...Vita. I'll pass.

Someone said to me the other day "I don't want it on the Vita because i never play with my Vita" - my head nearly exploded from WTF

Jonnyram

Are there missable trophies in this game? or can I do all that stuff after the game is over?
You can do everything after you've beaten the game. Nothing is missable.
In the end I gave up with the challenges because I couldn't be bothered with the loading times for each retry. I've since sold the game so I won't be going back, but I really hope there is a sequel.

I'd say they generally got it right. The majority of the reviews are positive.

Also for people having trouble with the gravity slide: when/if you finally get the hang of it, it's ridiculously fun.

Late game I was using it for like 40% of my transportation needs. So much fun.

jgmo870

Banned

Just to expand on what I said earlier:

"The fishy enemies are interesting enough to look at, but destroying them, one kick at a time, is one of Gravity Rush's blinking red spots."

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/12/3080547/gravity-rush-review

Those (sword)fishy enemies are really easy to kill if you don't attack them like an idiot. What you should be doing, instead, is luring them to attack you when your in front of a wall. When they attack (which they usually do in a straight path), dodge. What happens is they get stuck in the wall, and their cores are exposed.

Corto

On third chapter now and the game is just wonderful. The first chapter had me worrying about the camera being automatic though. hehehe The gravity shifting it's really a mind bending mechanic, the level designer(s) of this game need to be lauded for their work of designing a game that needs to work in all these dimensions.

Jonnyram

The only enemy that posed a problem for me in the entire game was the third rare Nevi.
That was pretty crazy, and it took ages for me to nail the core on its head.

You can do everything after you've beaten the game. Nothing is missable.
In the end I gave up with the challenges because I couldn't be bothered with the loading times for each retry. I've since sold the game so I won't be going back, but I really hope there is a sequel.

alright, thanks.

The Gravity Sliding controls may be one of the most baffling decisions I have seen in a video game in a really long time.

Have you played Kid Icarus? both that and this make me think "didn't someone notice this doesn't work?"

Unless you're going down a straight and empty path, it's causing problems for me. The input method, the camera, the drifting; it all falls apart.

I would've been fine with a d-pad direction activating the slide. Right stick to turn, X to jump, L to drift.

I still can't wrap my head around why the 'X' button still jumps while sliding.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Someone said to me the other day "I don't want it on the Vita because i never play with my Vita" - my head nearly exploded from WTF

I know what you mean.

Compelling content has been what people have been craving for the Vita. It already has a solid lineup of compelling games.

And people say that's not enough.

It's a lose/lose for Sony, it seems.

If the 3DS (great a system as it is), had launched with the lineup the Vita did, it would have been heralded as the best launch lineup of all time.

It just seems like the name Sony brings out a lot of anger in some people.

I just want fun games. I don't care what platform it's on, as long as the games are fun.

Rayman Legends is Wii U exclusive. That makes me sad, as I really wanted more Rayman on the Vita, but man, I'm up for buying a Wii U to play it. I'm not gonna say, "Wow! Rayman Legends looks AWESOME, but, you know, Wii U...I'll pass."

And then beat my chest and call my self a champion of games and quality gaming.

i've spent a most of my play time gem collecting. so much fun. i get that same "just a couple more" feeling that i did with Crackdown.

only thing i'm not in love with is the sliding controls. what's worse is that i want to use it, it looks really stylish when your going in a relatively straight line, but it's a pain to maneuver.

it also feels great playing a game of this scale on the vita as i can jump in at any moment since i usually just set my vita to sleep.

What sliding are you guys talking about? I'm not far in the game, but what's so bad about it?

you place your fingers on the bottom left and bottom right of the front touch screen. i don't know if you can do it before the game brings it up as i didn't know about it before that to try it.

edit: beaten

Oldschool

This game is FANTASTIC. Surely one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years.

If you own a vita, there is no reason to not get this game.

So I'm having a blast with this game (my very first Vita game!), but I seem to have somehow clipped inside a building and I'm now stuck inside it with no way out. Do I have to just reset the game and lose whatever progress I had since the last autosave, or is there an easier way out?

Koroviev

So I'm having a blast with this game (my very first Vita game!), but I seem to have somehow clipped inside a building and I'm now stuck inside it with no way out. Do I have to just reset the game and lose whatever progress I had since the last autosave, or is there an easier way out?

Someone said something about using a navigator to guide you out. Otherwise, I don't know.

you place your fingers on the bottom left and bottom right of the front touch screen. i don't know if you can do it before the game brings it up as i didn't know about it before that to try it.

edit: beaten

So I just tried it and was zipping around no problem. What's the complaint here?

this happened to me and i lost about an hour or so of gameplay. i think your best bet is to see if there is a mission nearby you can activate. i know i spoke to another character when this happened to me, so i'm assuming you can activate a mission if you can get to a marker.

So I just tried it and was zipping around no problem. What's the complaint here?

well for me there's some absurd turns you have to hit during challenges while using sliding. idk maybe i just suck at it.

controlling the left and right in tight spaces and corner is pretty damn hard, but I don't mind it much so far, it's kinda fun as in I want to try nailing it.

Okay, well, that does sound problematic. At lest you don't have to hold the bottom corners, anywhere on the sides seems fine. So I put my thumbs on the middle sides and can easily hit the X button to jump with the bottom of my thumb. If you have to hit hard corners though...ehhh.

Okay, well, that does sound problematic. At lest you don't have to hold the bottom corners, anywhere on the sides seems fine. So I put my thumbs on the middle sides and can easily hit the X button to jump with the bottom of my thumb. If you have to hit hard corners though...ehhh.

while sliding you can jump by doing an upward flick with the vita

It's something that only odious in challenge stage, coupled with the inability to retry if you make a mistake, and lengthy load times after you've failed.

In normal play there hasn't really been a reason to use it. Admittedly it's nitpicking because the other qualities of this game are exceptional.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't bothered with any sliding challenges, but it is fun to use optionally when I'm cruising around. This game does movement so well, it's so fun just to glide, shift and drop freely throughout the city.

I haven't bothered with any sliding challenges, but it is fun to use optionally when I'm cruising around. This game does movement so well, it's so fun just to glide, shift and drop freely throughout the city.

It reminds me a lot of Spiderman 2 actually. The overall game isn't amazing, but the movement is so god damn great that it just elevates the whole thing to a new level.

Top Bottom