• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Just a quick question - what are the best upgrades to invest in from the beginning? I have all these purple gems and I'm kind of torn on what to spend them on.

Man, I really can’t shower this game with enough praise. Everything about it is just wonderful, especially the atmosphere/music.

This is really special. I haven’t felt this way about a game in ages. It actually reminds me of Spirited Away. Anyone else agree?

Just a quick question - what are the best upgrades to invest in from the beginning? I have all these purple gems and I'm kind of torn on what to spend them on.

I’ve been upgrading my length of gravity time --> Gravity Kick --> Kicks. So far I’m happy with what I’ve upgraded. Upgrading the length of gravity time is a must.

Z3M0G

Finished the game a few nights ago. My personal GOTY, across all platforms. Had some of the most unique and satisfying gameplay I've played in a long time. The areal combat is fantastic, but people who get frustrated are not using the Vita to it's full potential.

I feel I would be doing a service to give some combat tips. I played with 95% gravity kick and dominated with it. Missing is part of the game, enemies do evade attacks. The key is knowing how to recover effectively without taking crap loads of damage:

1. DO NOT DISABLE GYRO TILT (I can't believe some people do this), if anything, turn the sensitivity up a little bit

2. Use Gyro for any aiming other than large turns. If you are only 10-15 degrees off from your target, use Gyro to line up. The analog sticks on Vita are just not precise enough. Personally, I used it for even major aim adjustments... I only used the stick to turn around.

3. As you are lining up your next attack, use your left thumb to swipe the screen and dodge... this also works effectively as a minor "circle strafe" to reposition yourself to take your next kick, if you are on the wrong side of an enemy, and can't see his weak spot. It also helps avoid incoming fire which can be coming from all directions. (If they ever make a God of War on Vita, I want to dodge with screen touch. It really works that well.)

The only time I died in this game was when
hunting one of the hidden Nevi
... because it was in a very tight space. The rest of the game was a cake-walk for me, and the areal combat was incredibly enjoyable and satisfying.

This game makes the absolute best use of everything the Vita has to offer... You must simply allow yourself to use what it offers you.

Massa

Just got my platinum.

I played through the game without gyro controls. I hate gyro controls. I still thought the combat was very enjoyable.

Z3M0G

Just got my platinum.

I played through the game without gyro controls. I hate gyro controls. I still thought the combat was very enjoyable.

After playing Gravity Rush I'm now much better at combat in Uncharted with the Gyro aiming, and now want every PS3 shooter to use gyro aiming with sixaxis...

Zoibie

Hoooooly shit, I cannot believe how incredibly frustrating the
Alias boss fight is. Those fucking tentacles keep moving out of the way of my attacks, and even when it looks like it should connect it doesn't. And the regenerating health!?!? Gahhh!

So, after having beaten the game, is there no way to repeat
the section where you have to freefall through the inside of the world pillar
? I think I have a save at that spot, but it's silly that you can revisit nearly every area in the game except that.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Playing this game and I think is good, but it never goes beyond that. I think the gameplay and missions are way too basic, but at least the gravity flying is really enjoyable.

Playing this game and I think is good, but it never goes beyond that. I think the gameplay and missions are way too basic, but at least the gravity flying is really enjoyable.

That's a big plus IMO, it's nice to play a game with no cover system, double jump, etc. Everything feels so freash about it.

Z3M0G

So, after having beaten the game, is there no way to repeat
the section where you have to freefall through the inside of the world pillar
? I think I have a save at that spot, but it's silly that you can revisit nearly every area in the game except that.

That was the one place I really wanted to revisit, and there is no opportunity to... so many missed gems... :( But also one of my favorite sequences.

I really wish they simply allowed you to replay any story Episode from the mission log (after finishing the game)... It would be the perfect form of NG+. Blows my mind that they didn't do it. Would be amazing if they patched that in.

I really wish they simply allowed you to replay any story Episode from the mission log (after finishing the game)... It would be the perfect form of NG+. Blows my mind that they didn't do it. Would be amazing if they patched that in.

that'd definitely be very nice...

Alias boss fight is. Those fucking tentacles keep moving out of the way of my attacks, and even when it looks like it should connect it doesn't. And the regenerating health!?!? Gahhh!

Use the first special move, she will take both tentacles out in one go, and even damage his weakspot

Man, I really can’t shower this game with enough praise. Everything about it is just wonderful, especially the atmosphere/music.

This is really special. I haven’t felt this way about a game in ages. It actually reminds me of Spirited Away. Anyone else agree?...

yeah, there're very strong miyazaki type elements throughout. tho, whenever japanese developers choose to mix the mundane with the surreal (thinking of the raidou devil summoner & persona games), the results are usually very weirdly dreamlike in a miyazaki type way :) ...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Finished the game, what a delight it was to play, pity at the lack of
any real ending explanation for most of storylines going on, but hopefully that just means a sequel is in the works.

Sometimes the controls could be a bit iffy at parts, I can see why people would get annoyed at missing gravity kicks all the time, some times I flew around for ages because a nevi would move just enough to throw her off and it would keep happening.

Some people might have liked it but I found the touch dodge to be really iffy, I had a terrible habit of using it too soon like they expected you to take a bit longer to move you thumb over and swipe which meant I almost always got hit by enemy attacks.

The leaderboards for challenges seems a bit silly too, they disable networking (annoyingly) which means unless you purposely go and check them your stats won't be uploaded to compare, makin them kinda pointless.

And these challenges, pain in the butt lol, the ones that require gravity sliding are really annoying.
At first I was a few seconds behind the top score, so levelled it up, while much faster it really throws out precision, even the slow one touch sliding is a bit janky.
At one point I was trying to go through a hallway and kept smashing myself to either side of the entrance, lol.

Still, wonderful game to play and I wish there was more to do in it, they seem to have a pretty nice engine on their hands minus some loading issues, I think it shows how well the Vita can handle open world games.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Haven't had much time to read the thread but these load times are pretty atrocious. Hell, Vita load times are in general. Why is this?

Memory card speeds are seemingly really iffy, I don't think we know how fast game cartridge ones are, but they are from my knowledge a few seconds faster than the memory cards are loading.

And by speeds being iffy I mean they are slow, some tests seem to show that their range from memory card tests go from like 6-7MB a second, which is pretty slow even by cheap nasty flash pen drive speeds.

Memory card speeds are seemingly really iffy, I don't think we know how fast game cartridge ones are, but they are from my knowledge a few seconds faster than the memory cards are loading.

And by speeds being iffy I mean they are slow, some tests seem to show that their range from memory card tests go from like 6-7MB a second, which is pretty slow even by cheap nasty flash pen drive speeds.

I'm actually willing to bet at least some of the in-game load times can be attributed to decryption/decompression overhead.

KalBalboa

Banned
7421716856_fe5def0acf_z.jpg

Broke the top 500 on a challenge earlier. Going to try for top 100 this weekend sometime.

jgmo870

Banned

Try using short range attacks when the hands are in the down position after shooting those black blobs.

Carl

I'm on the
find a letter
chapter. Fuck, it's beautiful. But the amount of gems zooming past me that i can't get is aggravating the fuck out of me.

spats

I'm on the
find a letter
chapter. Fuck, it's beautiful. But the amount of gems zooming past me that i can't get is aggravating the fuck out of me.

I LOVED that part. What a curveball from the designers. It's so refreshing when the designers deviate from the normal structure of the game like that.

Carl

I LOVED that part. What a curveball from the designers. It's so refreshing when the designers deviate from the normal structure of the game like that.

Yup, totally came out of nowhere and it's a nice change of mechanics. But as i say...i want those gems! haha

E: Holy fucking shit. Chapters
12 - 14
are amazing

Ok so I am on act 8. Does this game get better? I am just getting used to the mechanics but everything seems to be more fun than the missions- this is a problem for me. Collecting and flying around is fun but the combat is abysmal and the missions (quite incorrectly) focus heavily on attacking bubbles on the backs of very similar foes.

In fact, of there were NO enemies in this game it would be better. If this was a crazy open world puzzle game it may have been a revolutionary step.

Anyway, do the missions get better?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, the fighting challenges are kicking my ass. Just wondering, what's the way to deal with enemies that move during your gravity kick? Some of the bigger Nevi, like the flying ones, move a lot making it difficult to get to them before they move away.

Ok so I am on act 8. Does this game get better? I am just getting used to the mechanics but everything seems to be more fun than the missions- this is a problem for me. Collecting and flying around is fun but the combat is abysmal and the missions (quite incorrectly) focus heavily on attacking bubbles on the backs of very similar foes.

In fact, of there were NO enemies in this game it would be better. If this was a crazy open world puzzle game it may have been a revolutionary step.

I think it's fair to say that you'll have to get used to the combat to finish the game.

Not really :(

I'm on chapter 17
CRAP. Well its a fun game for what it is and i will finish it for the uniqueness of the mechanics but it feels like a squandered opportunity and also feels like the developers didnt understand what they had in front of them.

I want a great puzzle game with these abilities.

jgmo870

Banned

Combat will probably take a while to click but it's fun once you get used to the controls and understand what the devs had in mind for the battles. You shouldn't be spamming gravity kicks especially in boss fights if that's the approach you're taking.

And there were two missions in the game, 12 and 15, I think, that I just loved.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

That's exactly how I feel about the game. There are some cool looking areas in the next chapters, but the gameplay simply isn't there.

Most of the game boils down to go from point A to point B, trigger a cutscene, do some basic platforming/gem collecting and fight some dudes.

Like I said, the game's good but it never goes beyond that.

Combat will probably take a while to click but it's fun once you get used to the controls and understand what the devs had in mind for the battles. You shouldn't be spamming gravity kicks especially in boss fights if that's the approach you're taking.

And there were two missions in the game, 12 and 15, I think, that I just loved.
Any pointers on what I should be doing then? The combat with gravity kicks is, like I said, abysmal. I have no idea why the developers wouldn't kick the desire for such a standard combat system in a game where so much care was taken with everything else. It feels useless and tacked on where powers could be developed in such a way that actually
Makes combat fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any pointers on what I should be doing then? The combat with gravity kicks is, like I said, abysmal. I have no idea why the developers wouldn't kick the desire for such a standard combat system in a game where so much care was taken with everything else. It feels useless and tacked on where powers could be developed in such a way that actually
Makes combat fun.
Power it up along with your gravity meter and then... I dunno, I haven't quite figured it out either. Especially on the bigger enemies with moving/hidden weak points.

I assume they want you to fly past them/behind them, do a 180, and then attack... but the controls make that almost impossible.

I think i read somewhere copying games from ps3 or pc took a long time because vita is doing some encryption check or something on the fly, so every file have to be checked by vita to be legit first before it can be copied.

Takao

Banned
Gravity Days Chapter 2 as translated by SCEAsia:

7182911917_305627bb2d_b.jpg

7182912069_6770da6f18_b.jpg

Remember, in the OP I have a link to the entire series translated into English by our very own Cheesmeister!

Power it up along with your gravity meter and then... I dunno, I haven't quite figured it out either. Especially on the bigger enemies with moving/hidden weak points.

I assume they want you to fly past them/behind them, do a 180, and then attack... but the controls make that almost impossible.
Gah, such a disappointment. I am usually very forgiving with games or I'd I don't like them I just don't play them but this is a rare game that really bothers me because it could be GREAT. Bah!

jgmo870

Banned
Makes combat fun.

Well, remember that there's more in your arsenal than just the gravity kick. Slide kicking, kick combos, the counter, and throwing stuff are all really useful especially in the first half and ground battles in general.

But battles are more about noticing enemy patterns and finding the right way to deal with enemies. Some of the more "frustrating" enemies can be easily taken down if know their reactions to what you're doing and their attack patterns. Sometimes you might have to use short range attacks to defeat certain Nevi. Other times, you might have to lure them into attack you so you have a good shot at their core.

The last you thing you want to do is get into a chase of constant attacking/dodging. Take the boss battle w/
Raven. If you pay attention to her actions instead of just attacking, you'll notice when she's vulnerable in the air (charging up blue shots) so you can pick up objects like benches and throw them at her while she's doing that. She also comes swooping down on the ground so dodge that. Eventually she'll stand firm on it, so you can do some regular kick combos
. It's nothing daunting.

Man, the fighting challenges are kicking my ass. Just wondering, what's the way to deal with enemies that move during your gravity kick? Some of the bigger Nevi, like the flying ones, move a lot making it difficult to get to them before they move away.

I think it's fair to say that you'll have to get used to the combat to finish the game.
Use your super attack for some of those big annoying bosses, the flying enemies that really annoying is te swordfish type kind of thing who lunges at you. Normal strategy is wait until he strike at you, dodge and then attack it with gravity kick, or if youre on the grpund, grab some object and simply throws stuff at them

When youre falling, its easier to change dirextion with square button kick instead of stop and change direction with X or R button.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gravity Days Chapter 2 as translated by SCEAsia:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8015/7182911917_305627bb2d_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7182912069_6770da6f18_b.jpg

Remember, in the OP I have a link to the entire series translated into English by our very own Cheesmeister!
I almost wish that was a mission in the game.

Well, remember that there's more in your arsenal than just the gravity kick. Slide kicking, kick combos, the counter, and throwing stuff are all really useful especially in the first half and ground battles in general.

But battles are more about noticing enemy patterns and finding the right way to deal with enemies. Some of the more "frustrating" enemies can be easily taken down if know their reactions to what you're doing and their attack patterns. Sometimes you might have to use short range attacks to defeat certain Nevi. Other times, you might have to lure them into attack you so you have a good shot at their core.

The last you thing you want to do is get into a chase of constant attacking/dodging. Take the boss battle w/
Raven. If you pay attention to her actions instead of just attacking, you'll notice when she's vulnerable in the air (charging up blue shots) so you can pick up objects like benches and throw them at her. She's also come swooping down on the ground so dodge, eventually she'll stand firm on it, so you can do some regular kick combos
. It's nothing daunting.
Honestly, how do you deal with enemies whose gems are above the ground and behind their backs, like those giant
colossi-ish guys that can punch you?
You have to use the kick on those guys. Same with all the flying enemies that you're expected to fight later in the game.

If the combat was mostly ground-based, or if you could just attack the Nevi from any angle, it'd probably be fine. That's just not the case with the enemies in the latter half of the game.

Gah, such a disappointment. I am usually very forgiving with games or I'd I don't like them I just don't play them but this is a rare game that really bothers me because it could be GREAT. Bah!
Yeah, I both love the game and hate it at times. I mean, now that I figured out sliding and how to turn off gyro camera controls, I love the sliding races now. Traversal is great and it has that Crackdown feel with finding all the gems. It's just the combat is rage-inducing at times.

Use your super attack for some of those big annoying bosses, the flying enemies that really annoying is te swordfish type kind of thing who lunges at you. Normal strategy is wait until he strike at you, dodge and then attack it with gravity kick, or if youre on the grpund, grab some object and simply throws stuff at them

When youre falling, its easier to change dirextion with square button kick instead of stop and change direction with X or R button.
Yeah, I've been using the Triangle attacks, but of course the recharge time is slow on them and when you're on a clock you can't rely on using it consistently. I'm just having a hard time re-acquiring targets and locking onto them if they go past me or if my kick misses because they dodge my attack.

Is there a way to have the camera lock on to an enemy? I could have sworn there is, but maybe I'm just imagining that. It'd certainly help if you could just constantly be aiming at the enemy and hitting Square.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Added to the offense, bosses have finish-off timers. It makes fight a bit more challenging, but in the wrong way. :( "I have to finish off this annoying dude fast, fuuu I'm stuck in a pillar!".

jgmo870

Banned
Honestly, how do you deal with enemies whose gems are above the ground and behind their backs, like those giant
colossi-ish guys that can punch you?
You have to use the kick on those guys. Same with all the flying enemies that you're expected to fight later in the game.

I think this should work but I still haven't figured everything out:

Lure them into attacking you while you're in the air - air dodge. Their arms are usually stuck like that for a while. Most of their cores are on their back, there's one on its shoulder, and another hidden on its front. Take that time to attack his cores. Repeat as necessary.

Be more specific about the flying ones - do they look like swordfish?

Lure them into attacking you while you're in the air - air dodge. Their arms are usually stuck like that for a while. Most of their cores are on their back, there's one on its shoulder, and another hidden on its front. Take that time to attack his cores. Repeat as necessary.

Although it seems like you have put some thought into the combat in all honesty they couldn't possibly expect the majority of players to do this. If anything it shows how broken the system actually is.

mollipen

Hmm. Maybe this is for me what Lollipop Chainsaw is for some others. I'm kind of surprised to read all of the complaints about combat, because I had almost no trouble with it. Doing a long-range attack while flying and hitting your target is at times a bit frustrating, but otherwise I thought the combat was pretty awesome. Gravity kicks using the gyro? No problems whatsoever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

There's the swordfish ones and the giant dragon-like ones

I think in practice I understand. It's all about baiting, flying around them somehow, and positioning the camera, and then hope your gravity kick hits. It's just that there are times when the controls just don't feel conducive to that strategy.

It probably doesn't help that I make more mistakes in the Time Attacks because I'm watching the clock tick down while I'm waiting for the enemy to expose itself. :(

Hmm. Maybe this is for me what Lollipop Chainsaw is for some others. I'm kind of surprised to read all of the complaints about combat, because I had almost no trouble with it. Doing a long-range attack while flying and hitting your target is at times a bit frustrating, but otherwise I thought the combat was pretty awesome. Gravity kicks using the gyro? No problems whatsoever.
Apparently I'm one of those kids that like to spaz out and move the controller as I play the game, because with the gyro on, I inevitably end up upside down and tilted in weird angles. lol
If this was a PS3 game and they mapped camera controls to the sixaxis, I probably would have just thrown my controller out the window!

Takao

Banned
I almost wish that was a mission in the game.

I think it was a goof on SCEJ's part to not make Gravity Days a motion comic app on Vita. It would feature all 4 comic chapters, but have the quasi-3d tilt factor of the game's comic cutscenes. It would've been a cool promotional tool like the Resistance AR monument, and it would've made Gravity Days well known. As it stands, the only distribution for that comic is via the game's official Japanese page, and the Hong Kong PlayStation Blog.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it was a goof on SCEJ's part to not make Gravity Days a motion comic app on Vita. It would feature all 4 comic chapters, but have the quasi-3d tilt factor of the game's comic cutscenes. It would've been a cool promotional tool like the Resistance AR monument, and it would've made Gravity Days well known. As it stands, the only distribution for that comic is via the game's official Japanese page, and the Hong Kong PlayStation Blog.
Yeah, seems like they'd add a lot of character to the game's universe anyway. And of course, Kat is pretty amusingly hapless at times. lol

Emitan

I hate gyro controls :/

I just can't use them because I move the system around a lot when I play.

Top Bottom