• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

jgmo870

Banned
Although it seems like you have put some thought into the combat in all honesty they couldn't possibly expect the majority of players to do this. If anything it shows how broken the system actually is.

I think the main problem is that they made the weak spots so blatantly obvious that people just feel the urge to attack.

There's the swordfish ones and the giant dragon-like ones

I think in practice I understand. It's all about baiting, flying around them somehow, and positioning the camera, and then hope your gravity kick hits. It's just that there are times when the controls just don't feel conducive to that strategy.

For the swordfish one, it's really easy. You want to get their attention, lure them to where you're near a surface (wall if in the air; floor if not), let them attack you, then dodge. They'll get stuck and their cores will be open to plenty of attacks.

The giant dragon one is another that I'm not so sure about. I think what you should be doing is using short range attacks after their attacks. The soft lock seems to work better for short range attacks.

Just posting to show this pic of Kat.

8brpv.jpg

Awesome game btw <3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the main problem is that they made the weak spots so blatantly obvious that people just feel the urge to attack.

For the swordfish one, it's really easy. You want to get their attention, lure them to where you're near a surface (wall if in the air; floor if not), let them attack you, then dodge. They'll get stuck and their cores will be open to plenty of attacks.

The giant dragon one is another that I'm not so sure about. I think what you should be doing is using short range attacks after their attacks. The soft lock seems to work better for short range attacks.
Maybe I just need to take a break and see if I can get a handle on the controls again.

I will say that the combat is probably fine for the purposes of actually playing the game's main story. It's when you're counting on stuff to happen under time pressure - ie, the challenges - that it can get really annoying.
(The lack of a retry probably doesn't help either, but since that's a tech issue, there's nothing to be done there)

jgmo870

Banned
Maybe I just need to take a break and see if I can get a handle on the controls again.

I will say that the combat is probably fine for the purposes of actually playing the game's main story. It's when you're counting on stuff to happen under time pressure - ie, the challenges - that it can get really annoying.
(The lack of a retry probably doesn't help either, but since that's a tech issue, there's nothing to be done there)

I haven't done all of the challenges that require beating them in a time limit - just those in the first two parts of the city. Slide kicking helped a ton in those challenges.

Takao

Banned
I'm really loving the music in this game, but unfortunately the soundtrack's $40 on both CD Japan and PlayAsia which is a bit much for me. I also noticed this book for $25 on PlayAsia:

ClOM4.jpg

Is it just a guide book ("to defeat x press xxx and the yyy") or is it an art book? I saw it on the Japanese page but I can't read Japanese text so I'm lost there, haha.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
On Chapter 13 or so. Is the sliding kick something that's unlocked later on, or did I just miss the explanation for it? Hitting square while sliding doesn't do anything. Do I just ram into an enemy while sliding?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On Chapter 13 or so. Is the sliding kick something that's unlocked later on, or did I just miss the explanation for it? Hitting square while sliding doesn't do anything. Do I just ram into an enemy while sliding?
Yeah, you just ram into the enemy and it'll do the kick. It's not really explained in the game itself.

I haven't done all of the challenges that require beating them in a time limit - just those in the first two parts of the city. Slide kicking helped a ton in those challenges.
The one I'm doing depends entirely on gravity kick, so... yay. lol

My question is: why make weak points at all? Ridiculously stupid

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm really loving the music in this game, but unfortunately the soundtrack's $40 on both CD Japan and PlayAsia which is a bit much for me. I also noticed this book for $25 on PlayAsia:

ClOM4.jpg

Is it just a guide book ("to defeat x press xxx and the yyy") or is it an art book? I saw it on the Japanese page but I can't read Japanese text so I'm lost there, haha.
Dat kerning.

Cool game! Only chapter 4 but loving it so far.

jgmo870

Banned

You can also jump (by shaking the Vita while performing the slide) and then perform a gravity kick while constantly in motion. If you can manage killing a Nevi that way... well, it feels pretty badass.

My question is: why make weak points at all? Ridiculously stupid

Maybe they thought it would be too easy otherwise.

Setre

Just beat the game and I enjoyed it but it has some problems, which have already been noted. Combat was pretty much always a chore and the only boss fights I really liked were the more open world ones. Music, story, flying around, and the more puzzle-esque levels were my favorite parts. Could give a shit about the challenges or the DLC right now. Hope they make a sequel and refine the combat.

Carl

Just completed chapter
-
pretty good chapter, i expected Raven and Kat to team up at some point. Kat is still much better and cuter though.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark at this point and assume Raven is Sachya.

Edit:
Yup. Saw that coming a mile off

I finished the game just now. Mostly a very good experience, some annoying fights. It doesn't hurt that Kat is cute as hell and has plenty of fan service.

It really feels like a playable Ghibli movie. Lots of inspiration from Kiki's Delivery Service, I feel.

THIS GAAAME! Flying around the school with Newt looking for Echo, dat music change! Dat atmosphere! That was a rare moment when everything comes together in a game to create something really memorable.

It really feels like a playable Ghibli movie. Lots of inspiration from Kiki's Delivery Service, I feel.

Yep, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this game reminds me so much of Spirited Away. I love the mystery and how the game doesn’t explain everything for you. I’m taking this slow......I don’t want it to end!

Carl

Just played chapter
19?
in the
dream world, where Dusty gets split up into 20 pieces, and Alias reveales himself, and the weird girl appears in Kat's bed O_O

No idea what's happening. I still love it though

Andrefpvs

Just played chapter
19?
in the
dream world, where Dusty gets split up into 20 pieces, and Alias reveales himself, and the weird girl appears in Kat's bed O_O

No idea what's happening. I still love it though

I think I'm going to like your next post.

Carl

Yeah so i just finished it. Holy shit, that was awesome. Some things the game didn't fully explain, but still it was an immense journey and i loved every moment of it. It ends rather suddenly, though.

Combat will probably take a while to click but it's fun once you get used to the controls and understand what the devs had in mind for the battles. You shouldn't be spamming gravity kicks especially in boss fights if that's the approach you're taking.

And there were two missions in the game, 12 and 15, I think, that I just loved.

I think the combat is perfect for the tone of the game; I really don't understand the complaints... It handles well enough, but maintains that element of chaos and clumsiness that reflects the fact that Kat's not some combat ninja trained in a secret martial arts facility in the remote wilds of Tibet - she's just this kid with a magic cat and a desire to help... That said, there hasn't been a single battle in the game I've found overly difficult using the techniques provided in the normal course of the game (I've finished Level 17 so far)...

Andrefpvs

Yeah so i just finished it. Holy shit, that was awesome. Some things the game didn't fully explain, but still it was an immense journey and i loved every moment of it. It ends rather suddenly, though.

Yeah, I was hoping you would address
how suddenly the game ends and how pretty much every plot point ends up unexplained
, since I just finished the game as well :)

I think I'm correct in saying that
this ending pretty much screams "SEQUEL!" -- I hope so.
I loved the game as well, and wish there was more of it. I'll buy the DLC day one, and I usually don't do this. That's how much more Gravity Rush I'm craving right now.

Can I replay story missions or do I have to restart the game? Is there no New Game Plus?

Carl

Yeah, I was hoping you would address
how suddenly the game ends and how pretty much every plot point ends up unexplained
, since I just finished the game as well :)

I think I'm correct in saying that
this ending pretty much screams "SEQUEL!" -- I hope so.
I loved the game as well, and wish there was more of it. I'll buy the DLC day one, and I usually don't do this. That's how much more Gravity Rush I'm craving right now.

Can I replay story missions or do I have to restart the game? Is there no New Game Plus?

Yeah i was very taken aback by that.
One minute i was teaming up with Raven and whatever the other girl was called, and then it was like BOOM credits. Whattt? What happened to the ending? Haha.

I hope they do get to do a sequel. I suppose it depends on sales though. Hopefully it sells well enough for one. I'll definitely buy it if they do.

Kat is just a brilliant character. I love how hapless she is, and she's just cute and awesome. Has to be one of my favourite new IPs. GOTY so far i think?

I don't think there's a way to replay missions unfortunately :(

Beat it. I wish this game had less combat -_-

Yeah those last few chapters really were "KILL ALL THE NEVI!" "HEY LOOK, MORE NEVI, KILL THEM" "MORE NEVI!" ahhh go away. What did you think?

Venfayth

I gotta say that this is one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I'm so happy it's for my Vita. I'm travelling for the next couple weeks, and having such a fantastic game with me in my bag wherever I go makes the travel a lot more tolerable.

Sorc3r3r

lovin this game, chap 12 left me an amazing sense of wonder long time forgotten, last game was demon soul, while exploring its dark deepness.
This is what i want from a videogame, and to be honest why i love japanese art direction.

Great fun.

Emitan

Yeah those last few chapters really were "KILL ALL THE NEVI!" "HEY LOOK, MORE NEVI, KILL THEM" "MORE NEVI!" ahhh go away. What did you think?

On an actual 1-10 scale (not the ones reviewers use) I'd probably give it a 6/10 or maybe a 7. Hated the combat which was the main focus of the game, but I loved the world, art, music, and Kat!

Carl

On an actual 1-10 scale (not the ones reviewers use) I'd probably give it a 6/10 or maybe a 7. Hated the combat which was the main focus of the game, but I loved the world, art, music, and Kat!

Only problem i has with the combat was flying enemies. I couldn't get the weakpoints. They dodge right at the last second and send me flying halfway across the map in the wrong direction. Apart from that i didn't have too much trouble. But yeah i see what you're saying. It could have been made a lot better.

Agreed on the rest of it though. The music was wonderful. I want the OST :(

Andrefpvs

I guess we can all agree that Kat is a wonderful character. I want more of her!

... :O ! Is there still time to get her in PlayStation All Stars? SHE DESERVES TO BE THERE!

Carl

I guess you mean the wasp-looking nevi. Throw stuff at them. I know you can't always, but it's super effective.

Those and those sword-fish bastards that move really fast. Honestly, i don't think i used the throwing move in the whole game.

I think the combat is perfect for the tone of the game; I really don't understand the complaints... It handles well enough, but maintains that element of chaos and clumsiness that reflects the fact that Kat's not some combat ninja trained in a secret martial arts facility in the remote wilds of Tibet - she's just this kid with a magic cat and a desire to help... That said, there hasn't been a single battle in the game I've found overly difficult using the techniques provided in the normal course of the game (I've finished Level 17 so far)...

agree, & well put. never 'mastered' it (tho i can't think of too many games i could say that about the combat :) ), but eventually got more than comfortable enough with it. kat's basically over-matched, &, if you accept that, & realize that her strength lies in dodging, & using hit'n'run type tactics, it starts to feel both appropriate, & pretty satisfactory (did for me, anyway)...

Those and those sword-fish bastards that move really fast. Honestly, i don't think i used the throwing move in the whole game.

Well, the more you know.

Also, I tended to bait them into attacking, then attack when they charge at me and whiff. If you just go flying in with a kick with them staring at you the whole time, of course they're going to dodge you. That seems kind of obvious.

Carl

Well, the more you know.

Also, I tended to bait them into attacking, then attack when they charge at me and whiff. If you just go flying in with a kick with them staring at you the whole time, of course they're going to dodge you. That seems kind of obvious.

Meh, gravity kick is much better. Spamming that worked 99.9% of the time.

And yeah, i figured that out toward the end

Famassu

You guys should really throw shit more, it's fairly powerful a move. I mean, why not? You can just pick up boxes & stuff and keep them with you, flying through the air and kicking your way through enemies, until you confront an enemy that's easier to kill with a box than getting frustrated with the gravity kick glitching out/missing.

Berksy

This game is easy and combat is pretty much open ended. You can pretty much keep gravity kicking whole game or you can mix stuff for fun.

I got to learn and start to use most moves before Alias boss fight and fighting with mobs was like watching a Matrix movie :D

Mixing gravity slide kicks, evade kicks, specials and air moves was so cool ;_;

Carl

You guys should really throw shit more, it's fairly powerful a move. I mean, why not? You can just pick up boxes & stuff and keep them with you, flying through the air and kicking your way through enemies, until you confront an enemy that's easier to kill with a box than getting frustrated with the gravity kick glitching out/missing.

I don't know...flying with things pisses me off for some reason. I drop things/people as soon as i can. Hate flying with stuff.

Top Bottom