• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

kitsunisan

Neo Member
God, love the hell out of this game, finally found something to cure my Dragon's Dogma addiction. Now I need to find something to break my Gravity Rush habit.
So many concept costumes, I hope they get put into future dlc somehow.
2123821-alg8sqlcqaeww0_.jpg

I definitely need that art book.

On Chapter 13 or so. Is the sliding kick something that's unlocked later on, or did I just miss the explanation for it? Hitting square while sliding doesn't do anything. Do I just ram into an enemy while sliding?

Funny I was wondering the same thing today. Guess I know how to do it now.

I really don’t understand all the combat complaints that are appearing in here. I actually think it’s good.

Granted I’m only on chapter 9.....does the combat get worse?! If not, I’m not seeing the problem at all.

I guess we can all agree that Kat is a wonderful character. I want more of her!

Indeed. She has shot up to the top of my list as one of my favourites. She is great!

Carl

What is it? Can you attack while sliding? Why would you even slide outside of challenges?!

Yup, basically. I did it about twice and thought "yeah i'm never going to use this again.
Apart from where you have to in order to progress, anyway

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really don’t understand all the combat complaints that are appearing in here. I actually think it’s good.

Granted I’m only on chapter 9.....does the combat get worse?! If not, I’m not seeing the problem at all.

I will say, prioritize your gravity kick and gravity meter level ups if you want to keep up with the combat.

As for why it's problematic, for me, it's a matter of fighting with the camera because you essentially have to do the equivalent of circle strafing to hit weak spots, but the game isn't really equipped to do that. There are times when you need to 180 turn as fast as possible and you just can't do it with what they give you.

Indeed. She has shot up to the top of my list as one of my favourites. She is great!

I find nothing about the combat enjoyable. Fly through the air hit bubble rinse and repeat. There is little danger, they always die the same way, and they all have the same projectiles. It's far far less thought out than the rest of the game and seems out of place from both a presentation and mechanic aspect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One random question - I hit Top Kat and there are skills that I can't level up any more... I know it says DLC is the only way to level up at that point, but is there a way to tell if you can level up more without that?

There's that Gravitational Anomaly trophy that I'm trying to get and level 5 specials aren't cutting it. :/

One random question - I hit Top Kat and there are skills that I can't level up any more... I know it says DLC is the only way to level up at that point, but is there a way to tell if you can level up more without that?

There's that Gravitational Anomaly trophy that I'm trying to get and level 5 specials aren't cutting it. :/

lvl5 can easily cover that

spoiler on how
goto the rift, first fight has enough guys on screen, get all guys on screen, do typhoon special (up+triangle)

Is Gravitational Anomaly the one where
you need to take out 8 enemies at once with one special attack
?

I found the best place to get that trophy, in my opinion:
In the Rift Mirage, I believe that's the name of the place with all the floating mushrooms. The last one with enemies before the final Nevi fight has exactly 8 enemies all bunched up fairly close together, and one well-guided Black Hole will take them all out before the move ends. Try to rally them closer to you before initiating the move then try to move Kat to suck in the remaining stragglers.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did it with the
Auldnoir 'fight the Nevi' trial.

So... you know how you beat up 4 of them at the fountain and they spawn on a building further away? Kill 2 and use her special that activates with Triangle when the seven enemies spawn below... but make sure you're pointing in the right direction (I wasn't angled correctly and I went off in a totally different direction, and it ended up messing everything up).

In the meantime, some of these challenges are rather difficult to gold. I'm not maxed out in terms of stats yet, so I guess that's the reason? Or I just suck tremendously. I haven't gotten the 40K crystal trophy either yet.

I'll have to chime in with saying that I don't find that the combat is that great or fun either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, thanks for the tips guys. I just did it with the fountain one (since it was the closest to me). It took me a few times because I couldn't get them all though.

It's still a bit weird that some of the levels are gated by DLC, but what can ya do.

holy crap, I was reading through the old gravity daze thread and someone posted this superplay video of the developer expertly playing through the challenges. now that I have the game, watching the developer play through the challenges is mindblowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahOl3Va--DE&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Ev_t4ewFU&feature=player_embedded

what the shit.

I damn well know my checkpoints werent that lenient.

Dude can rip through it nonetheless

after watching a little closer it seems i jumped the gun a little he is pretty on the mark. Though the next to last checkpoint he was pretty far off. and i wouldnt get alot of checkpoints floating through like he did

MSH0g.jpg

this makes me want to play it again, this time, I'll crank up the camera sensitivity so I can adjust the camera more quicklyand use square button to change direction instead of R button then X button.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd crank up the sensitivity if the sticks had better dead zones.

Anyhoo, grabbed the Platinum (my first Vita one and my fourth PSN one overall!). The final hunting trophies were a bit of a pain and a bit of a downer to end the game on, but at least I'm done with the combat! (Until the DLC :/)

holy crap, I was reading through the old gravity daze thread and someone posted this superplay video of the developer expertly playing through the challenges. now that I have the game, watching the developer play through the challenges is mindblowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahOl3...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Ev_...layer_embedded
I want to call BS on the first video because it looks like those checkpoints worked out really well for him. :p
I just remember missing checkpoints by the same distance and having to basically give up on a race because of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't even figure out how to fight the final rare Nevii ;~;
The
green dragon one
?
You basically have to fly above it, evade his 10 fireballs, then do a gravity kick on the spots on his back.
It was a bit of a pain for me, that's for sure... but at least there's plenty of health around.

Grisby

I can't even figure out how to fight the final rare Nevii ;~;
The green dude? Gravity kick him and then run. Always be turning and juking. If your healthy gets too low go back the the nearest flower to get some H gems.

It was the most difficult battle of the entire game for me.

Grisby

so on what upgrades should i focus?

lovely game btw!
Since I wanted to fly more I focused on gravity stuff such as recharge time and how long you can stay in the air. Helped out a bit during early combat and I didn't have to worry so much about falling,etc.

Went with Gravity Kick as my combat one since I was flying and dodging all the time. You'll have more then enough gems though to focus on whatever you want so dont worry about making a mistake.
OMG, the ending theme!

The city is really nice. Has a ton of personality and looks great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbM_yBl_nbY (spoilers it's the ending theme)

Yeah, I've had it on a replay a bunch of times now. Great way to close out the game.

Carl

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just finished it. Platinum'd. Wow what a game. Possibly the best thing a Sony studio's put out since Uncharted 2.

Whole lotta setup for a sequel, so hope with the engine already wowing (this kind of aerial freedom with little loading, on a portable, in full 3d?!!?!?!) it wont be too far off.

Salaadin

I really wish sliding challenge checkpoints werent so small. I hate it when Im of ever so slightly and miss them. Its a pain in the ass to turn around and get going again.
Getting gold on all these is going to be torture.

I love the other challenges...especially the "kill enemies within the time limit" ones.

Vlodril

Just finished it. Felt the ending was a bit abrupt. Didn't expect it to end like that, would have liked more closure. Great ending song though. Didn't find the combat especially challenging
except for the military dlc part. Fuck that fire part

If there is a sequel i am there day one. More clothes and things to do in the city between missions would be nice.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I still need to platinum this. Been working on Lollipop Chainsaw plat as well though. And I'm afraid of doing all those challenges. Probably the only reason I haven't really aimed for the plat yet lol.

You know while I loved Gravity Rush the story just leaves me kind of unsettled. Like I loved the whole game there are just some things that bug me. Anyone else feel that way?

Just finished it. Felt the ending was a bit abrupt. Didn't expect it to end like that, would have liked more closure. Great ending song though. Didn't find the combat especially challenging
except for the military dlc part. Fuck that fire part

If there is a sequel i am there day one. More clothes and things to do in the city between missions would be nice.

Well, there's more DLC first! Looks like each package has two sidestory missions, just like the military DLC all of us -should- have.

On your comments on the military DLC:
After I failed my first attempt, I just ignored the ship entirely after the city set itself on fire - had more than enough time to put out all 5 fires before going back to put the ship out. It helps that there are places where you can pick up three water tanks at the same time.

pwack

This is gonna be my first ever platinum, assuming I get the chance to return to
Beautumne, or however it is spelled, at the bottom of the tree
. Rather than be a chore to grind out challenges, it is really fun.

I was actually impressed by the learning curve for the challenges. Granted, I am almost all the way powered up now, but generally, I would fail miserably my first go at gold, but get the hang of the challenge quickly without getting stuck. I don't think any challenge took me more than 10 tries, although the
Mirage
sliding race was the worst. Only later did I learn that was DLC conent . . .

Also, thanks to the gyro control, trying to complete a sliding race while on a city bus was a pretty hilarious endeavor.

This is gonna be my first ever platinum, assuming I get the chance to return to
Beautumne, or however it is spelled, at the bottom of the tree
. Rather than be a chore to grind out challenges, it is really fun.

Yep you will be able to return to that location whenever you like at the end of the game

OmegaZero

Okay, I've been trying to do this for a while, but is there any way to go back into
the pillar
after you complete the game?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really wish sliding challenge checkpoints werent so small. I hate it when Im of ever so slightly and miss them. Its a pain in the ass to turn around and get going again.
Getting gold on all these is going to be torture.

I love the other challenges...especially the "kill enemies within the time limit" ones.
Here's something I learned about the sliding that isn't clear because they call it "drifting" in the tutorial - if you remove one of your thumbs from the screen, Kat will stay in "sliding mode" but will basically stand still. At that point, you can use the gyro controls to aim at where you want to go.

Of course, if you're not doing everything pinpoint, you'll still lose some time, but I was able to do all the sliding challenges with level 4 sliding. The one thing that they don't mention is that sliding is pretty much required for all the other race types as well, unless you can get a hang of doing the kick everywhere.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I only have a few more chapters left until I finish the game. A lot of the initial charm and awe has faded away, and the tedium of the combat is the only reason I can think of as to why that would be the case. I really hope the game gets a sequel, because I love the world and its style, but the game itself is a bit lacking.

Top Bottom