• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

JonSnowball

That second shot has been going round for a while. The original shows the full scene, and this bit is cropped from where the draw/render distance is out of bounds that's why it looks so bad. Imagine it's widescreen and they've cropped the left side of the image out (where the draw distance is in bounds)
I just took that second shot from the trailer when I made that post. Here's the timestamp in the video:

(16 seconds~) It's not cropped or zoomed to be dishonest, this is what Rockstar used as a point of comparison.

truly a thing to behold here. you talk about their fake comparison, then show the exact shot without any comparison. you mention the ps2 version but don't provide anything, yet you provide a pc screenshot from an entirely different viewpoint with a (lets be honest) unverified pc screenshot.
Read the post I was responding to. The point is the original game never looked that bad to begin with, not even on PlayStation 2, I'd know - I play the living hell out of it on release. If you want to continue to argue in this pathetic pedantic style. "Unverified PC screenshot" - it's a screenshot I took earlier today. I started replaying Vice City when they announced the Definitive Editions as I'd not touched them in a couple of years. I'm sorry you feel the need to argue is an intellectually dishonest, pedantic, and rather poor way. Perhaps in future through the power of self-reflection you'll be able to improve the way in which you communicate.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
(16 seconds~) It's not cropped or zoomed to be dishonest, this is what Rockstar used as a point of comparison.

I don't mean you being dishonest if that's how it comes across. I meant the left side was left out the Rockstar trailer and only showed the right side (where the draw distance kicks in). I'm trying to find the original now.

It's not a dig at you at all.

nani17

are in a big trouble
giphy.gif

dEfInitIvE EDitION

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
not to mention that the Xbox version improved even on that original PC version with higher quality models for cars and characters, as well as better textures and effects (reflections on cars etc.)

Home | D.E.P (definitive-edition-project.com)

This mod is the definitive way to play these games. Some of the features:
  • Countless bug fixes
  • Widescreen support
  • 4k interface
  • Restored music (Billie Jean, BABY!)
  • Full controller support with button prompts
  • Restored original PS2 and XBOX effects
  • Higher resolution textures that are true to original

I would argue that original games still look fantastic. They have this timeless look and are still a blast to play. Few screenshots:

c60hAbC.jpg

0KjuyLL.png

GX2Yrx5.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Branding

the missing music alone makes this a bad release. and the graphics are terrible in many ways not only the NPCs, but the NPCs do look like dogshit, there's no defending that.
There’s plenty of that. Shooting feels no better than before and most of the gameplay is the same, except that you can restart missions from a menu prompt and the game glitches to fuck all over the trilogy because it’s a very buggy remaster that didn’t bother fixing things they should have fixed.
Man was asking about wokeness, not the performance.

Don’t like this release, don’t buy it but seeing 80% negative takes on here is kinda off

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone else think that rain looks odd in GTA 3?:

3:49. Its almost like a filter on the screen.

That's because it is a simple overlay. It looks bad because the raindrops move perfectly vertical even though the camera is panning horizontally.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does anyone else think that rain looks odd in GTA 3?:

3:49. Its almost like a filter on the screen.

They're way too bright compared to the original and don't move left/right enough.

Superwave

Banned
I was sceptical but just on my first few minutes in SA and I can say it is a MAJOR step up from the PS2 versions. Cycling down to Grove Street on your BMX feels surreal - but beautiful.

Doubt the other two will fare as well.

scalman

hope it will have tons mods on pc at least. that will be reason to play it . as most games these days. just change game by your likings how you want it to be then enjoy. devs just cant match everyones taste for sure.

amigastar

hope it will have tons mods on pc at least. that will be reason to play it . as most games these days. just change game by your likings how you want it to be then enjoy. devs just cant match everyones taste for sure.
yes, ragdoll mods please.

buenoblue

GTA games were never my friend.

Shock! 20 year old game design and gameplay doesn't hold up that well today. GTA games never play well to me, even GTA V.

kiryani

Are people forgetting how awful the original games looked? There is only so much polishing you can do without scrapping everything and starting again (something that was never gonna happen).

As long as they look and run better than the originals, and retain the fun, them I’m up for another replay.
People are using Maxed out PC shots as comparisons for the old games, in HD.

It really didn’t look like that at all 😂

Home | D.E.P (definitive-edition-project.com)

This mod is the definitive way to play these games. Some of the features:
  • Countless bug fixes
  • Widescreen support
  • 4k interface
  • Restored music (Billie Jean, BABY!)
  • Full controller support with button prompts
  • Restored original PS2 and XBOX effects
  • Higher resolution textures that are true to original

I would argue that original games still look fantastic. They have this timeless look and are still a blast to play. Few screenshots:

c60hAbC.jpg

0KjuyLL.png

GX2Yrx5.jpg
Agreed, the purple/orange haze over San Andreas evening sky still holds up to this day. Truly timeless.

Last edited:

amigastar

I won't buy it until i see some positive reactions on this. I'm not a fool. Although i love Rockstar but this is Grove Street Games.

Last edited:

dyergram

Started with gta 3 (ps5) gpx look ok ish I like the shiny cars. Shooting is bad but obviously improved I’m shocked at the performance tbh it’s kinda framey in places had a big dip in the framerate earlier during a rain storm. The gameplay is still fun though glad i started with the worse of the 3. Ps lack of adaptive triggers is bullshit.

Last edited:

Miles708

I'm sorry to be that guy but I really can't understand how anyone would want to play this.
There's nothing good to see, and Rockstar gameplay has always been, at best, shit.

Top Bottom