• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

zroid

Banned
Sound Shapes was good though.

There are very few games I actively resent. One is Mass Effect 3. Another is Sound Shapes. And except for its ending, Mass Effect 3 was the better game.

I enjoyed Mutant Blobs Attack though, so DrinkBox is on my safe list. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Damn.
So many references.
Mexican (or not) takes on Link, Majora's Mask, Mario, Luigi, Minecraft (I think?), Super Meat Boy, Metroids, Chozo Statues. And I'm only in the first temple! I wonder what else I missed...

I found a QR code in Santa Luchita. Does anyone know what it is? I can't check it.

they are just trolling i guess, this is what i got when i scanned it

UokiWnC.jpg

Markun

Managed to play about an hour and I really love it! The graphics are great, the music is great and unique, and I really like how expressive the characters are. It is a bit easy, combat wise, but the combat is so smooth and responsive that I look forward to fighting and making combos! I'm sure it'll get harder though since I just started

matmanx1

This game is hilarious and obviously made for people who enjoy video games. So much nostalgia love for classic games. Plays and looks great too!

Godslay

Banned
This game is hilarious and obviously made for people who enjoy video games. So much nostalgia love for classic games. Plays and looks great too!

I was coming on here to post something similar. Some good references right off the bat. Good game so far!

This is better than I hoped. As slick and polished as a Nintendo game, as just as endearingly charming. With the added benefit of 60fps/1080p visuals!

Thank you, based Drinkbox

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm I'm stuck.

I'm at the part where you
where you get transformed into a chicken. I ran around for a bit after that and got to a room where a bunch of fire hedghog run into spinning blades and I have no idea what to do.

you have to time your jumps and let the enemies hit the grinder, once a certain number of enemies hit that thing, an exit opens an you are able to go your way

HardRojo

So many good references, will definitely get this and my native language is Spanish so it might make the experience a tad nicer :p

Is it true both Vita and PS3 versions run at 60 fps (and that the PS3 version is rendered at 1080p?)?

Been playing on vita and man this is an awesome game! Combat is actually fun and music is phenomenal with headphones!

Looks great and runs great on vita too.

VanWinkle

So many good references, will definitely get this and my native language is Spanish so it might make the experience a tad nicer :p

Is it true both Vita and PS3 versions run at 60 fps (and that the PS3 version is rendered at 1080p?)?

Yes! Looks sooo good on Vita.

khustla

Banned
I don't know if this an audio issue or what but are you supposed to hear the characters when you hit them because there is no audio when I fight

Neiteio

ckQIZER.jpg

<3

Majora's Mask vs Mega Man

This game looks SOOOOOOO good on my Vita.
Majora's Mask reference? SOLD.

(That other lucha reminds me of some Capcom character... Hmm, can't put my finger on it... Must not be relevant anymore.)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm nearly two hours into the game, and yeah, it's officially one of my favorite games for the Vita. I'm a sucker for Metroidvania style games, but I think this is probably the best I've played that are part of that genre. I really liked Shadow Complex, but it lacked charm and identity.

Guacamelee, at least thus far, has amazing music, an endearing and charming art style, and creative and polished game play.

One of the things that I really feel set this game apart from not only Metroid and Castlevania, but also all of the clones, is the combat. The combat system is, I think, this game's most unsung feature so far.

Yes, the nostalgia references and visuals are great, but the surprisingly deep, open, and versatile combat system really impresses me. Getting into combat is just so much damn fun. I love mixing and matching, and the combo training you can do is a lot of fun, and really challenging. You actually look forward to fighting enemies, just so you can play around with the different moves and set ups.

I played on my Vita mostly, and fired it up on my PS3 when I got home. Honestly, I think the Vita version looks better and cleaner, personally. I don't know, maybe it's my TV (40" 720p/1080i Samsung). It looks great on the PS3, but I think the Vita version looks better. Maybe I'll hook the PS3 up to the 1080p set and give it another go.

Amazing game so far, and definitely worth the hype and wait, and that's not just day one, new game rush speaking. Drinkbox has been on my to watch list since About A Blob, and this third game is easily their best title. They've taken their game design skills to a new level with this, and I can't wait for more. Of course, a sequel to Guacamelee would also be welcome, and I haven't even finished this one!

Doel

I'm stuck!

At 36% in Deierto Calients. Can't get past a red block on the right that has rotating saws in a pit underneath. Pretty sure I have no way to break that red block yet but can't find the power I need to get past. Been travelling back and all around different areas, honestly have no idea what else to do. Was enjoying the game immensely until now.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Trolololololololololol?! Ugh, just no.
4WVnHXN.png

Flaming Face or whatever his name is talks way too much.

VanWinkle

So I told the Drinkbox Twitter account about that problem of having the Vita assigned to a second player automatically when doing remote play on PS3 so you can't use it by itself to have the map with you at all times. They said that you need to change the PS3 controller from Controller 1 to Controller 2 before connecting the Vita, and then it should work.

AwRy108

It looks like someone else came across the same issue but when they did the following on the XMB it fixed the issue.

I have a 6.1 surround system, and I notice that ALL of the movement and combat sounds are coming out of the rear-most speaker. Thought this was an odd design choice, but now it seems like the PS3 version has some audio issues.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok the bossfight
With the lady
is starting to piss me off. I know it's just a skill thing but I've been retrying for the last 20minutes.

nowai

Jumping section in the
tree when you can shift at will
cramped my hands so much playing on Vita!

Switching to PS3 for a bit.

Jinfash said:
Flaming Face or whatever his name is talks way too much.

I like his design, though. I know I love this game because I want to play as every character.

Got a chance to do the whole cloud save thing and it worked flawlessly. I think this game has sealed the deal that I'll get both versions of Dragon's Crown. Super easy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This Combo Chicken's advanced combos are not a walk in the park. It's a good way to showcase how solid this seemingly simplistic combat system is.

I like his design, though.
Agreed. His design and animation are well done. Honestly, almost every baddie so far has been unique.

Top Bottom