• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

I just think people need to stop being cheap.

Uh, dude, it's not like people wouldn't like to have more money to spend on their toys - but for a lot of families, dishing out 250-300$ on a gaming handheld (counting memory card + game) just isn't affordable. I love my Vita, too, it's definitely a great little piece of hardware, but it should be in the 150-200$ price range AND ship with a game AND a mem card. A parent standing in a shop having to choose between the 199$ 'Nintendo' and the '250, oh wait, 300$' Vita is waaaaay more likely to choose the 3DS, simply because of price.

If I could wish for Sony to fix one thing, it's their stupid idea that they put tons of hardware into their systems and then charge premium prices for it. It's ridiculous. The PSP was too expensive when it came out, the Vita is way too expensive and for the games people want to play on a handheld, you don't need to pack the punch they put into the Vita. They should have rather put the hardware and R&D costs into funding developers to make actual games for their systems.

Carl

Uh, dude, it's not like people wouldn't like to have more money to spend on their toys - but for a lot of families, dishing out 250-300$ on a gaming handheld (counting memory card + game) just isn't affordable. I love my Vita, too, it's definitely a great little piece of hardware, but it should be in the 150-200$ price range AND ship with a game AND a mem card. A parent standing in a shop having to choose between the 199$ 'Nintendo' and the '250, oh wait, 300$' Vita is waaaaay more likely to choose the 3DS, simply because of price.

Unfortunately these companies try to make a profit on their sales :p

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's what I was thinking. It seems like Little Big Planet. The picture quality is good, but there is that slight amount of softness that takes away from knowing it's not at native resolution.

maybe someone on beyond3d can say what resolution it runs in. otherwise i'd guess they didn't scale the assets for the vita screen (like ubi did with Rayman)

OG Loc

Of course my houses gets robbed yesterday and now I have to wait to purchase this bad boy. Why have you forsaken me Based God?

I've only played a portion of the game with some co-op, and allow me to further echo the sediment that Guac is made for gamers.

So obviously this means the game isn't going to sell anything and it'll become a glaringly loud yet hidden gem. That Plus discount made me get it sooner rather than later, though. Every little bit helps!

Endo Punk

Can't wait to get my hands on the game later today! Shame no demo but I like how it looks and probably will enjoy it. Hopefully it wont be another case like Unfinished Swan where I bought it and it was definitely not my kind of game.

Number45

Started downloading this with VLR already on the go and this jumped the queue, pausing VLR in the process. The game is DEMANDING my attention!

Wonko_C

99.9% sure it is.

I cannot trust that level of accuracy from you. You always say you don't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Unless the recent barrage of framerate topics cursed you with the ability to see it, and you can't unsee it now, mwahahaha. :p

Taking a short break from my P4G Platinum trophy run and decided to buy this, even though I have a huge Vita backlog. Really enjoying being a luchador!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Unfortunately these companies try to make a profit on their sales :p

Very true. And currently, the Vita isn't being marketed towards parents buying a "toy" for their kids. It's being marketed for the over 18 gamer crowd who want a more "sophisticated" and "classy" looking handheld to whip out while on the bus or train or what have you.

This isn't a mass market device yet, just like the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP before it. There is usually a good 2 to 3 years before Sony platforms start to court a larger market. It's been that way since they entered the gaming business, why would they change it now? I don't think any company outside of Nintendo with the Wii has just outright started targeting the mainstream, casual market out the gate. And the reason why Nintendo could do it with the Wii is because they were producing the console at a rather significant profit, so they could launch at a more mainstream friendly price.

While I'm expecting the Vita to get a price drop this year, I still don't think it's going to be a "mainstream price drop." Just a price drop to entice the fence-sitting core gamer. PS+ is already a great incentive, but, much like that sale Amazon had on Black Friday, a $180 Vita with a memory card and game is too much to pass on for a lot of gamers. I was tempted to buy a second Vita with that sale.

Carl

I cannot trust that level of accuracy from you. You always say you don't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Unless the recent barrage of framerate topics cursed you with the ability to see it, and you can't unsee it now, mwahahaha. :p

Hahah i meant i thought i had read somewhere that it is 60FPS :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So I told the Drinkbox Twitter account about that problem of having the Vita assigned to a second player automatically when doing remote play on PS3 so you can't use it by itself to have the map with you at all times. They said that you need to change the PS3 controller from Controller 1 to Controller 2 before connecting the Vita, and then it should work.

Oh, that's good. Will have to try that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Local only on PS3 I thought? IGN review suggested it was better solo.

There's just not much reason for me to play these games solo.. I know I'll 100% without much challenge and never touch it again. Outland was a wonderful game but essentially the same thing. If it had online co-op (not the dumb race shit it has) I think the experience would be much better. Same applies here. Looks like an enjoyable game but I've had enough solo romps.

Number45

There's just not much reason for me to play these games solo.. I know I'll 100% without much challenge and never touch it again. Outland was a wonderful game but essentially the same thing. If it had online co-op (not the dumb race shit it has) I think the experience would be much better. Same applies here. Looks like an enjoyable game but I've had enough solo romps.
Fair enough. I'm mostly a solo gamer anyway so it works for me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fair enough. I'm mostly a solo gamer anyway so it works for me.

At the very least it just sucks that co-op seems to be a way to enjoy the game, but they only decided to add local for, I'm sure, the obvious reasons. Hopefully next gen online co-op will be mandatory/standard.

Double D

Dusted off the Vita last night and bought the game. Really great so far. Made me realize how much more I'd use the hardware if there was more stuff like this on it.

It kinda feels like if Sony would drop the price of the Vita to 199 and would get more developers like Drinkbox on board, the Vita would actually have a very good chance of becoming a real contender again. Playing a game like Guacamelee on the Vita is f'n fabulous.

Nevermind getting into price cuts, it would even just be really great to go into the physical gamestore and see this game on shelves in a box for £10, with it plastered on the box that it's both a ps3 and vita game. If they're willing to do that on the online store, they should be pushing that out there in the public. Handheld games cost so much, it would do wonders for the vita to have games sitting on shelves at a tenner with this much content.

Carl

Nevermind getting into price cuts, it would even just be really great to go into the physical gamestore and see this game on shelves in a box for £10, with it plastered on the box that it's both a ps3 and vita game. If they're willing to do that on the online store, they should be pushing that out there in the public. Handheld games cost so much, it would do wonders for the vita to have games sitting on shelves at a tenner with this much content.

Not every game is financially viable to release at retail. There's retail profit to be made, shipping costs, cost of manufacture etc... All that makes it cost more than it's worth for a £10 game

Not every game is financially viable to release at retail. There's retail profit to be made, shipping costs, cost of manufacture etc... All that makes it cost more than it's worth for a £10 game

Thankfully, I did not say this. Thanks though for the finance lesson, give Sony a holler next time rather than me though, perhaps they will hire you in your wisdom ;)

Ignoring that though, obviously they put out Ratchet and Clank for £15 at retail, and the plan was that would be cross buy, cross save etc., more games like that and this in stores would be nice. I'm not attempting to say anything more or less than simply that.

Bought the game yesterday and it's really fun ! reminds me of Metroid.

And i love the Mexican vibe to it, the music, the characters... really cool !

Number45

I haven't played much of it so far (er, I literally
just got the mask and killed a few skelegons
), but I love what I have played. I'm already annoyed that it's too short and will be pestering Drinkbox for a sequel.

Just running around and seeing areas that I can't get to yet... I've missed it so much.

Top Bottom