• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

My eyes could be deceiving my, but it appears a bit soft, so I'm guessing sub-native. But not by much. Looks good, albeit too zoomed out.

That's what I was thinking. It seems like Little Big Planet. The picture quality is good, but there is that slight amount of softness that takes away from knowing it's not at native resolution.

Peterthumpa

Now don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but why a company would have trouble to achieve 60 FPS + native native resolution with a 2D game on a Vita? I wonder if it started as a PS3 only project and got the green light for a Vita version mid-development.

Maedhros

Now don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but why a company would have trouble to achieve 60 FPS + native native resolution with a 2D game on a Vita? I wonder if it started as a PS3 only project and got the green light for a Vita version mid-development.

Being 2D doesn't the game isn't automatically not demanding...

VanWinkle

That's what I was thinking. It seems like Little Big Planet. The picture quality is good, but there is that slight amount of softness that takes away from knowing it's not at native resolution.

Doesn't look sub-native to me. Does have a little bit of a soft look to it, but that could be by design. I'd say definitely native res.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Guys, chilis for the enchilada's recipe (at Santa Luchita)... Where?

This wouldn't have happened if there was a Miiverse.
edF4c95.png

Is this another one of those games that has trying too hard to be funny/cheeky dialogue and loaded with videogame references thus making it lack its own identity? Because I'm really not a fan of them to be honest.

SmithnCo

Guys, chilis for the enchilada's recipe (at Santa Luchita)... Where?

This wouldn't have happened if there was a Miiverse.
edF4c95.png

I haven't got the beans yet, but there is an
NPC in the dead version of the city that talks about his chilis.

VanWinkle

Is this another one of those games that has trying too hard to be funny/cheeky dialogue and loaded with videogame references thus making it lack its own identity? Because I'm really not a fan of them to be honest.

No, those are just little extras that make it sillier for those who get them, but the game certainly has it's own identity and is very charming.

There are references but the game definitely has it's own identity.

Anyone know where I can get the soundtrack?

This game is full of win and made me laugh out loud.
Majoras Mask V.S. Mega Man Posters in luchador Form
Chozo Statues giving up Power Ups
Metroids Statues
And also knowing Spanish helps a lot understand the comedy behind some of those conversations.

So far the references just seem to be posters in the background. Nothing major.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, like other indie games this game is chock-full of references and memes. And while I'm right there with you on how "annoying it can get when references overstay their welcome and become a crutch", this game oozes with unique charm and character that end up (more than) making up for that.

... So far lol.

I haven't got the beans yet, but there is an
NPC in the dead version of the city that talks about his chilis.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks. I can't switch at will yet, so that explains why I haven't found him/her yet.

Thanks for the clarification guys, sounds good. I just started watching slasher's stream and was met with a bunch of indie game tropes that I hate, which turned me off, but it's good to hear that the game doesn't thrive on these things.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So far the references just seem to be posters in the background. Nothing major.
The only other type/one I've encountered was the huge monster you defeat by reaching to the huge axe, something that is soon followed by "your princess is another castle." But the game smoothly transitioned into it and out of it that I thought it was cute rather than awkward.
Fwiw, I've only completed 21% of the game, so there may be more I haven't seen yet.

nowai

Ok, it's a huge bummer than when playing co-op with the PS3 and Vita, the Vita user doesn't get to use the Vita's screen. Also they only see the player 1 on the map.

Am I missing something or does the Vita ONLY serve and a dual shock substitute? Lame.

VanWinkle

Ok, it's a huge bummer than when playing co-op with the PS3 and Vita, the Vita user doesn't get to use the Vita's screen. Also they only see the player 1 on the map.

Am I missing something or does the Vita ONLY serve and a dual shock substitute? Lame.

Why would they do that? What would be the use? It's been said since the beginning that the Vita screen would be used for the map.

nowai

Why would they do that? What would be the use? It's been said since the beginning that the Vita screen would be used for the map.

Yes, you get the map displaying the player 1 position. So the Vita is a dual shock with the other player on the map.

I was hoping when you were playing on the Vita as player 2, you could/would use the Vita as your screen and both players would be displayed on both screens.

Edit: My point is, why would you choose to play on the cramped Vita when you could simply use a more comfortable second dual shock?

VanWinkle

Yes, you get the map displaying the player 1 position. So the Vita is a dual shock with the other player on the map.

I was hoping when you were playing on the Vita as player 2, you could/would use the Vita as your screen and both players would be displayed on both screens.

Edit: My point is, why would you choose to play on the cramped Vita when you could simply use a more comfortable second dual shock?

The beastly d-pad and having the map accessible at all times.

jwk94

This game is fantastic with a buddy. My friend and I played this for 5 hours straight. I barely noticed that any time had passed.

Azull

Um, where am I supposed to find the chilis for the recipe?

After you get the pollo power you are able to go back to the town and talk to the guy, he should be in the middle platform I believe

Will buy once I get the psn credit. Can you play as the luchadora in single player?

Not that I can tell. I believe she is the 2P on the PS3 version.

Acerac

Banned
Pretty incredible game thusfar.

This game rewards you well for playing intelligently and adapting. I love it. :)

Riddy

As someone who has near 100% games like Dark Souls and Super Mear Boy, I find the
jaguar
fight to be completely broken....is there a strategy I'm missing? The game went from addictive and fun to just really stupid and frustrating :(

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
As someone who has near 100% games like Dark Souls and Super Mear Boy, I find the
jaguar
fight to be completely broken....is there a strategy I'm missing? The game went from addictive and fun to just really stupid and frustrating :(

Suck less. It's not broken at all, and perfectly doable if you learn his move set and react accordingly.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sound Shapes, Gravity Rush, PS+, soon to come price drop(?) and this.

Almost there, Vita, almost there!

It kinda feels like if Sony would drop the price of the Vita to 199 and would get more developers like Drinkbox on board, the Vita would actually have a very good chance of becoming a real contender again. Playing a game like Guacamelee on the Vita is f'n fabulous.

It kinda feels like if Sony would drop the price of the Vita to 199 and would get more developers like Drinkbox on board, the Vita would actually have a very good chance of becoming a real contender again. Playing a game like Guacamelee on the Vita is f'n fabulous.

I just think people need to stop being cheap. The machine is easily the best handheld I've owned. With things like cross-buy it shows you just how close this is to a console experience in some games. Okay some detail may be lost but this is not just gaming with cut down games to fit a handheld anymore. Games like Sly Cooper and NFS:Most Wanted show this off perfectly.

It's a shame so many people read bad/negative views from people that probably don't even own the console saying there are no games etc. If they actually owned one they would know full well that the machine is full of games for pretty much most genres.

Top Bottom