• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

As someone who has near 100% games like Dark Souls and Super Mear Boy, I find the
jaguar
fight to be completely broken....is there a strategy I'm missing? The game went from addictive and fun to just really stupid and frustrating :(

I'm nowhere near 100% with either of those games (haven't even beat SMB) and I got within two hits of beating that on my first try.

The boss fights are pretty hard, though. I imagine the last boss being a roadblock for a lot of people. Especially the color blind.

The fuck at this ending, though...

JKTrix

I was just playing this in KFC during lunch, and 5 Spanish-speaking people came and sat right next to me. This is uncommon in Bermuda.

Pollo Power.

Damn! I was way to involved with the new SWTOR expansion and I totally forgot this came out yesterday. I'll definitely buy it when I get home from work. I'm quite excited to play this.

kazebyaka

Banned
Just played it. Wow, what a cool game. Controls are tight, everything runs fast and smooth, i really dig the humor and homages to other games. And music is cool. And the best feature of all: you can use Vita as second controller for ps3 version. Even if you don't have vita copy. So cool.

Guevara

I don't know if it makes sense for me to pick up Plus first (so I get the discount) or just buy the game and wait until Plus has a free game I want.

Triz

The combat and platforming in this game is fan-fucking-tastic. From this point forward I dub the genre Guacatroidvania.

Man, this game is awesome. Dust An Elysian Tail was one of my fave games last year, this could be one too for this year. 3 hours in. Love the humor, fantastic comedic timing on the lines. Some great animations to go along with the comedy.
iysnbokaI8P9u.gif

iQIHTkYJJBPx8.gif

So if referential humor is not your thing, don't worry since it's only in the background.

Stuck as a chicken, how do I get past the armadillos and saws? The ∆ prompt keeps on coming up, but I can't do anything. I just need to get back to hometown.

Mad_Ban

Man, this game is awesome. Dust An Elysian Tail was one of my fave games last year, this could be one too for this year. 3 hours in. Love the humor, fantastic comedic timing on the lines. Some great animations to go along with the comedy.
iysnbokaI8P9u.gif

iQIHTkYJJBPx8.gif

So if referential humor is not your thing, don't worry since it's only in the background.

Stuck as a chicken, how do I get past the armadillos and saws? The ∆ prompt keeps on coming up, but I can't do anything. I just need to get back to hometown.

Jump at the right time is all I can say as advice. You can time your jumps between the rollers and the jumping ones.

MicH

I decided to buy this game (20% Plus discount! Heck yeah!) and man I am blown away. What a great game. I absolutely love the art style and the combat is cool, too. LOVE throwing enemies at other enemies :D Just got the first move. Very cool game, would definitely recommend it :D

Also it looks amazing on Vita. Sooo good!

tm24

The placement of the armadillos tells you if theyre jumpers or rollers. The ones on the far left roll so jump over them, the one in the center jump so stay still

hurzelein

You guys playing it on Vita or Ps3?

Started it on my Vita 30 min ago, love it!

But I cant drop the feeling that I miss out some detail because of the much smaller screen. This is the first game I feel like this, but mainly the character-modells are hard on the edge. I'd love to play it on the vita, but will try it out on my Tv later.

Vita experience (play for 10 min, drop it. Sit wherever you want. Slick device) is so great, but I don't know if this particular game would be even better on the Ps3.

Will write it down after I experienced both versions.

waypoetic

Banned
Bought this because of the PSNation review (shoutout to Torgo!) and holy shit i love playing the PS3 game with my Vita as the controller! I got even more excited for the PS4 now.

Duffyside

Banned
I don't know if it makes sense for me to pick up Plus first (so I get the discount) or just buy the game and wait until Plus has a free game I want.

Y'know, if you don't think Plus is worth it for things like VANQUISH and Demon's Souls, but do think it's worth it to save three bucks... you should probably pass on it. I never say that to anyone, but your tastes seem incredibly... strange...

Guevara

Y'know, if you don't think Plus is worth it for things like VANQUISH and Demon's Souls, but do think it's worth it to save three bucks... you should probably pass on it. I never say that to anyone, but your tastes seem incredibly... strange...

Free games aren't worth anything when you already own them. See also: Spec Ops last month.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
You can play the Ps3 game with the Vita as a controller? Interesting!

Whats on the Vita screen? Why do you do it - for the better digital-Pad? Is there another reason why you don't use the normal Dualshock?

And how does that work?

i havent done it yet, but there's a map on the vita i believe. also yea, people like the direction-pad on the vita more.

can't wait to give it a try.

waypoetic

Banned
You can play the Ps3 game with the Vita as a controller? Interesting!

Whats on the Vita screen? Why do you do it - for the better digital-Pad? Is there another reason why you don't use the normal Dualshock?

And how does that work?

The game-map basically. I can also see treasure chests that aren't in my dimension. Great for the completionist ;)

I use the Vita as the controller because the Vita as a controller feels really good and fits great in my hands. I don't use the d-pad do control my character, i use the sticks. The DS3 is a great controller but i thought, when i have the option, why not?

Epic Drop

My wife and I made tacos and margaritas and played this game co-op for about 4 hours last night. It was an absolute blast! I'm driving her crazy with my chicken powers XD

Once we finish the game, I definately want to play through it by myself on the Vita. The platforming can be a little difficult with 2 players, especially once you get the
dimension shift
power.

Loving this game so far, started my game on the Vita and thought it looked good. Just swapped over to the PS3 to test out the cross save and the extra effects look so good.

Just for those asking about the Vita's involvement when playing on the PS3 here's a rather poor photo

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This game continues to surprise me with its solid pace and challenges. For example, after I acquired the dash and wall run, I started backtracking to collect some of the stuff I missed. So I visited the Agave Field and
and discovered the chicken maze, which was not only fun to go through but lead me to these VVVVVV like spheres that I haven't seen up until this point. And apparently there's 6 six of them. Wut?!

Speaking of backtracking: I'm in Pueblucho and stuck at 87%. I'm pretty sure I sweeped the place carefully, yet can't find the last 13%. What am I missing?

So, I bought this last night on my Vita with the intention of playing today at work, and now I can't even start it; the game locks up the Vita immediately before even getting to any title screens or anything! What's the deal? I'm not on wifi here so I don't know if there was a late night patch I missed or something. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm really loving this game, but it can be super frustrating at times, especially once it's introduced all of the combat stuff to you. Also, I was surprised at how smart some of the puzzles were, even if they're mostly just a matter of timing and precision. I think I'm right near the end, been playing this one all afternoon. Fighting the
Jaguar guy
at the moment, but he's repeatedly kicked my ass a bunch of times already. Definitely the most challenging fight of the game yet. Love the combat, though, even if it can get a bit too hectic at times.

Speaking of backtracking: I'm in Pueblucho and stuck at 87%. I'm pretty sure I sweeped the place carefully, yet can't find the last 13%. What am I missing?

Did you get the chest on the top right corner in the inside of the church and the one on the top of the tower of the church?

Teggy

I need a little help with one platforming thing - it's not a story spoiler but I'll put it spoilers in case anyone is trying to do everything on their own.

In one of the secret rooms to collect the 6 face pieces, you have to shoot up a pole, then to avoid spikes you have to phase out the pole, jump to the other side, then phase the pole back and catch on.

I found a really good way to do it by phasing with the rooster punch then phasing while grabbing, but you can only do that one time, and this requires switching multiple times.

Anyone found a good way to do this using just regular jumps? I tend to wind up just flying past the pole and then can't grab back on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just finished the mines... Feels so good.

Did you get the chest on the top right corner in the inside of the church and the one on the top of the tower of the church?
Ahh, I missed the one on top of the church tower. So much for "thorough sweep." Thanks buddy.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Guacamelee is the Nintendo game I wish modern Nintendo games were. DrinkBox stays out Nintendoing Nintendo. With a billion times the flair & creativity.

KevinCow

Banned
Guacamelee is the Nintendo game I wish modern Nintendo games were. DrinkBox stays out Nintendoing Nintendo. With a billion times the flair & creativity.

How the hell did you reach that conclusion? It's got the Metroidvania stuff and references out the ass, but the gameplay, art style, and tone are completely different from anything Nintendo's ever put out.

nampad

Ok Drinkbox, you did it again. Played 80 minutes and loving it so far. The combat is fun, I just keep throwing enemies around. Platforming with both Dimensions work well and the whole game oozes with charme and small details.
Also like the music, but it looping all the time could go on my nerves. Same happened with Mutant Blobs Attack.

Top Bottom