• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

KiNeSiS

Banned
Don't be daft Kevin maybe you're a young buck. As an ol head that was breast fed on the sweet nectar of 80's Nintendo I realise that proverbial teat has dried up some time ago.

Nintendo cartridges were sprite based worlds of wonder where you didn't know what to expect. Now with the NSMB series they seem to be on the COD treadmill in terms of pushing the envelope. DrinkBox pays homage because they grew up drinking the same Kool-Aid that I did, They carry on tradition. While the Nintendo Kool-Aid of today seems as if it was prepared in Jonestown circa 1978.

eXistor

Oh my God, I'm so glad I got this. I've just played and finished the first dungeon. Man this is so much better than I thought it would be; tight controls, brilliant art-style and fantastic music. I thought it was gonna be a linear beat 'em up and I really had no interest in it until 2 days ago, when the word Metroidvania kept dropping.

Sooo many references as well, both to video gaming and internet culture. Great stuff so far, I hope it holds up.

Mesoian

It's not often I saw I wish there was voice acting in a game that doesn't have voice acting.

But I wish this game had voice acting. A lot of the jokes just have this inflection, or lack there of, that sort of make them fall a little flat as simple text.

That being said, that is the ONLY thing that has bothered me and it's a big nitpick. It's a wonderful, wonderful game.

shink

I'm really enjoying this game, and those little references arequite amusing.
When you get a power it flashes so brightly, my eyes can't handle it haha.

megalowho

So if referential humor is not your thing, don't worry since it's only in the background.
It's true, I find some of that stuff kind of dumb to be honest but it's artistically wonderful and easy to ignore. Not a big fan of when memes shows up in lines of dialogue either, but at least it fits the world they created.

Still loving this game, 5 hours in and don't want it to end. Boss fights are tough but satisfying, same for some of the crazier platforming puzzles. Excellent pacing as well - emerging from a rough area of the map into the sunshine with a few new abilities in hand and a better grasp of the mechanics is a great feeling.

eXistor

It's not often I saw I wish there was voice acting in a game that doesn't have voice acting.

But I wish this game had voice acting. A lot of the jokes just have this inflection, or lack there of, that sort of make them fall a little flat as simple text.

That being said, that is the ONLY thing that has bothered me and it's a big nitpick. It's a wonderful, wonderful game.
Just do what I do: act it out in your head. I've been doing this since Monkey Island 2. It kinda fucked me up when I played the remake with added voice-overs; it sounded very different from what I had imagined.

Mesoian

Just do what I do: act it out in your head. I've been doing this since Monkey Island 2. It kinda fucked me up when I played the remake with added voice-overs; it sounded very different from what I had imagined.

I do that, but then it reminds of the potential voice acting that could be done for the female villain and how she's sort that allegory for "don't stick your dick in crazy" and get a little sad that such an emotionally bipolar character doesn't have an amazing voice actress to really bring her to life.

But then the scene ends and I piledrive a giant spiked armadillo.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I need to get a Vita again. Mutant Blobs was my favourite title.

Mutant Blobs is great but this shit right here,
33197294.jpg

Endo Punk

The game plays beautifully. So snappy and immediate. Entered the second village and then decided to play MGR Sam DLC. Will continue with Guaca later tonight with no distractions. Such a charming title :)

Dambrosi

Banned
So I'm watching GQ fail at streaming this game on twitch.tv right now.

Egads, this reminds me of Outland, what with the constant world-switching, colour-coded enemy attack strats and everything. Also, you can turn into a chicken, which is...nice.

I really should go finish Outland someday, it's some good shit

Toki767

I can't figure out the last orb location...I'm pretty sure it's in the final stage though. Just not sure where. Anyone find it?

Fusebox

Banned

I've been doing that, but all the voices I come up with in my head for this game sound like bad Mexican stereotypes!

Maybe the devs 'wrestled' with the same problem and decided to go full text so people couldn't accuse them of racist caricatures.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
No offense to whomever bitched about Jaguar Javier being hard and broken, but not only was it fun but very very manageable.

Trophy related question:
Best place and method to get "Catch the Rainbow"?
I can't find a good place to hit someone with the wall run.
Kassatsu suggested the giants in the caverns del pollo, but I had 0 luck with that.

Desert question:
I'm missing 1 chest probably and don't see any on my map...
Any tips on where to look?
I just found a blue barrier I hadn't broken but there wasn't nothing behind it in either plane... just a dead end it seems?

No offense to whomever bitched about Jaguar Javier being hard and broken, but not only was it fun but very very manageable.

I thought he was a pain in the nuts, but it's partially dependent upon (1) how much life and stamina you've amassed and (2) how much of a dick the AI wants to be at this moment in time.

Take a break and walk around?

Turning into a chicken to avoid one of the attacks is my personal fav

Yeah, personally I get tunnel vision when I reach what I think is the end of the game and can focus on nothing but offense and beating the game, but the last boss fight is more about taking it slowly, avoiding damage, and sneaking in whatever hits you can.

Teggy

I am not the person who was bitching before, but as far as I am concerned he can DIAF.

I did finally manage to figure him out though

Number45

Lots of screens being posted in here for a game that came out today in some regions. :/

I got through the whole game without figuring out how to use the grapple moves (power bomb, suplex, etc)
You can only grapple when you've weakened the enemies right (when the triangle appears over them)? I assume you just change your next button to whatever other button gives you the move... I've bought them all but haven't bothered using them yet.

Lots of screens being posted in here for a game that came out today in some regions. :/

You can only grapple when you've weakened the enemies right (when the triangle appears over them)? I assume you just change your next button to whatever other button gives you the move... I've bought them all but haven't bothered using them yet.

Tried that, still threw them.

Ok, I found the chest, but I'm having trouble getting it.

In the Desert:
There's a section underground where you're going through when you first get cursed into your pollo form. you enter the room on the top right and there's tons of red barbed wire.
it seems once you have the ability to shift and change at will that there is an opening at the top left above where you normally exit.

I have no idea how to get there. Trying to use the dodge and stuff isn't working so well.

EDIT: LOL, I think I glitched it. Bwahaha.

Good game. It plays really nicely and once you've got used to the combat you can juggle enemies about with style. The rolling can be annoying on the analog stick of the Dual Shock, so switched to D-Pad and L2 instead.

Love you music, the writing is snappy and I smirked at the character wanting his chickens sorted. Nice touches with Metroid too.

And of course, 60fps. :) lovely

KiNeSiS

Banned
Then it's a stupid point. It's like bitching that Halo is the kind of game Square-Enix should've been making for years. It's completely missing the strengths of both the game and the company you're bitching about.

Yeah because Square makes fps your argument is impotent.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ugh, this Chicken Thief side quest is pissing me off. Third round is way too fast. I've tried it at least 15 times, and not even luck is on my side.

It'd be awfully cool if SONY snatched up DRINKBOX, they've only made three killer games so far, my only gripe is that they're too short, but when something is this awesome it's only natural to wish it were endless.

hurzelein

HOWTO: Use the Vita as Controller 1 on your PS3 for Map & Control

If your Vita was never connected to your Ps3 before or you want to use it for Coop with a second player look up the First Post in this thread!

For Singleplayer-Vita-Controls:

1. Start Guacamelee on your Ps3.

2. Press the Ps3-Button on the Ps3-Controller for 3 seconds.

3. Go to Controller Settings > Reassign Controller. Set your Ps3 Controller as "2"

reassign1.jpg

4. Start the RemotePlay App on your Vita (not the Cross Controller App) and let it connect to your network (again, if you haven't connected it before see original post)

5. Controll Guacamelee on your TV with your Vita. Be happy!

h2nSO00.jpg

Photo by AbandonedTroll

Needed some time to make this work and couldn't find any description so I figured this would help some of you.

moozoom

I tried to buy this on EU PSN today (several times), but every time I selected the PS3 game to add it to the buy-basket I got a message telling me :

"this item is not yet available"

or something like that.

The Vita game seems buyable (?) but I can't / won't play on vita these days (memory card full, do not want to buy another expensive shitty proprietary card format for a console I hardly ever use )

If I buy the vita game, will I be able to download the PS3 version which is the only one that really interest me ? Have other Eu Gaffers been able to buy the PS3 game ?

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
im still waiting on the $10 dollars back from the promotion Sony had last month to buy this game but its getting very difficult to wait o_O

Top Bottom