• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

jett

D-Member
Got 88% in the Forest, how do I get 100%? There's like this one area on the map in the beginning that looks like a small hole I can go into, but I don't see it when I actually get there.

Wait until you get the final power. Then use the lever, it will open the hole.

Groof

Bought this yesterday and have been playing it like crazy, can't get enough of it! The only thing that stops me is the battery on my Vita, hah.
I've gotten up to the very last level, but before going through that I'm trying to collect everything I might've missed. Is this preferred or can I go back for it later on?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've gotten up to the very last level, but before going through that I'm trying to collect everything I might've missed. Is this preferred or can I go back for it later on?
I just got to the credits, and it seems that you won't be dropped into the world post-credits but when you press "Continue" your last checkpoint before the final boss fight will be loaded again.

bryehn

How does Outland compare to this? I gotta say, after completing this I'm hankering for some more side-scrolling faux-metroidvania action. I'll admit that I played it for 30 mins then put it away. Does it get better?

Yes. It's really good and can get pretty challenging.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
WTF any tips for the
Jaguar
fight, jesus lol

Yeah this fight is absolutely fucking ridiculous lol
Unless he's doing a fire attack, dodge, dodge, dodge!

Also, when you take one of his shields down, don't throw a few punch then back away. Instead combo him with normals till he kneels, following it with a long string of specials, spam dodge>blue derp dash to avoid his attacks and following him around. If you keep at it and spam/exhaust him like a lunatic, you'll deplete most of his HP in one go. He won't recover a even single colored shield until he's down to the last 10% of his health, and covers himself with the white shield.

Just remember, as long as you're connecting attacks with his shield down, he won't restore it. So don't give him too much room to breath.

Groof

I just got to the credits, and it seems that you won't be dropped into the world post-credits but when you press "Continue" your last checkpoint before the final boss fight will be loaded again.

Alright, might go for the final boss once my Vita's finished charging up then. Thanks. :)

KingDirk

So I am stuck at 88% in the Tule Tree, got the orb in the area already, and according to PS3trophies I have all the chests. I am at a loss here. Any help?

EDIT: AHH I FOUND IT YAY

VanWinkle

The only thing I've been having trouble with is the colored shields, since I have a color deficiency. The red and green ones mainly look really similar to me. I'm getting through it but it's a little rough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played til the final area and I'm now on cleanup to get 100% everywhere else. Need help with 2 matters:
already found 1 orb, but I'm close to more. There's this lever in the forest that does something, but I have no idea what. And more puzzling: in the chicken grotto, I completed the second long gauntlet, which leads to a portal, but you can't reach it. Too high for double jump + uppercut and no way to wallrun.

Really cool game. Javier was a pain in the ass, but satisfying once you beat him. This guy alone will stop me from starting a game on hard.

need some help from those with 100%.

i've got golds in each area on the map except the final(boss) area. before the final boss i have 90% in that area. did i miss something or should i be getting the every chest trophy by just finishing the game? because when i finished it didn't give me the trophy. so i've chosen continue but don't know what i missed.

edit: and i found it. didn't occur to me that it could just be money.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
^^^^It is at the base of the tree, like you are going to the desert. Should be a blue block down there if you haven't already busted it.

There is no recommend, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE FLY ABILITY. It is literally impossible otherwise.

I beat it before I got Lucha Fly. In fact, I got Lucha Fly because I beat it (it was my 5th Orb). Lol. It took me a good 30 or 40 minutes, but I did it the old fashioned way. Lol.

Also, you guys aren't talking about Goat Climb and Goat Fly, right? It's the "other ability" you get at 5 masks, right?

I beat it before I got Lucha Fly. In fact, I got Lucha Fly because I beat it (it was my 5th Orb). Lol. It took me a good 30 or 40 minutes, but I did it the old fashioned way. Lol.

Also, you guys aren't talking about Goat Climb and Goat Fly, right? It's the "other ability" you get at 5 masks, right?

Talking about goat fly. Which there is no way to do without goat fly.

ta9qi

Im working for the platinum, only the "hard" trophy is left, just won the first boss battle -the girl with the strange laugh-, sure she's tougher that what she was in normal, but didnt have much trouble with her..hope the rest of bosses are kind too @@

need some help from those with 100%.

i've got golds in each area on the map except the final(boss) area. before the final boss i have 90% in that area. did i miss something or should i be getting the every chest trophy by just finishing the game? because when i finished it didn't give me the trophy. so i've chosen continue but don't know what i missed.

Odds are there's a 500 gold chest you missed.
The one I missed was about halfway through -- there's a spot where you drop down and there's a portal in the wall to your left, but no way to get there, seemingly.
If you chicken form right next to that, you fall through the floor and can get to the portal.

jett

D-Member
Im working for the platinum, only the "hard" trophy is left, just won the first boss battle -the girl with the strange laugh-, sure she's tougher that what she was in normal, but didnt have much trouble with her..hope the rest of bosses are kind too @@

Hard mode is definitely harder. I've died a bunch of times compared to normal mode.

Endo Punk

Got to the top of the tree tops...
chicken says Im only half way there
. GTFO lol XD So damn hard.
And the journey reference is just perfect!

got my 100%. probably play through hard mode next week to finish up my last couple trophies for the platinum. my favorite game so far this year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So yeah,got it, game pretty freaking fantastic so far.

however I'm playing on Vita because of the superior d-pad (which what I use and prefer for 2D games).

and tomorrow I'll play on PS3 with my friend,love this cross buy stuff.

Aleph

Played the game for about 2 hours or so, the first thing I noticed were the similarities with Outland, especially the living/dead dimension switching mechanic. However, I find Guacamelee's combat more fun and satisfying than the other game, and the jokes and references makes things interesting when you are not in combat. And also, the PS+ discount and cross-buy are great incentives to buy the game.

Got throught Tule Tree yesterday. Patience & timing were the key.

Everything a breeze till I get to the
Jaguar boss fight

No healing orbs & no half point save is making this battle a pain.

worst level in the game IMO and I'm at
Jaguar boss fight
at the moment and I'm just about to throw my monitor against the wall.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just beat it. Final time was 9:40:21, and that includes collecting everything and 100% every area.

Will start on Hard Mode next.

Fantastic game all around. I honestly don't have many negatives or flaws with the game, only that I wish it was longer, or had more to unlock/find. Combat was one of the main highlights for me, and I felt it has some surprising variety. More than I expect from this genre, which tends to have straight forward, simple combat (use guns to shoot enemies, or use swords/whips to hit enemies). I had a great time just messing around and coming up with combo strings on the fly.

I have the bulk of the Trophies, and even though I'm not a big Trophy guy, since I only have 2 or three left, I might as well Platinum it when doing my hard playthrough (and I think one of the remaining Trophies is simply to beat it on hard mode).

Drinkbox won me over with the Tales from Space games, but Guacamelee has cemented them as an incredibly talented developer. Some of the puzzles and mixture of platforming/puzzles/powers was truly brilliant. They've really elevated their game (no pun intended) with this title. Mutant Blobs Attacks was clever and charming, and this is no different. Anyone on the fence about this title, just buy it if you have any love for platformers, puzzlers, Metroidvanias, and just well designed, polished games. I ran into one bug (the arena bug mentioned before). So what if it sits in your backlog for a few weeks. Just support this game and send the message that this is precisely the type of gaming experiences we want, and Drinkbox should be rewarded and commended.

I am eagerly awaiting what their next title is, but I have to say, I want Guacamelee to become a full blown franchise. This title was worth the $11.99 I paid for it, and it would have been worth it at $14.99. This genre has been so under-represented and I think this was a great reminder of how much fun these types of games can be.

I truly thank Drinkbox for crafting a fun, unique (the setting is truly inspired), charming, well designed entry in the Metroidvania genre. More please!

What do orbs do?
Gameplay-wise, I mean.

The orbs restore health.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Damnit. I've backtracked to Temple of War to get 100% and there's on part of the map with a VERY light fade, but nothing to smash, no chicken path... Nothing. Just a fade eluding to a door or something there.

Can't seem to figure out how to get into it.

Have all powers save for the one you get with the Orbs.

Durante

This game is much much better than I expected. I bought it without knowing a lot about it (needed something to play in co-op) and just expected a 2D brawler, maybe with a bit more exploration. Instead I got a fantastic Metroidvania game with co-op. And some extremely solid platforming! And a lot of silly game references I find myself enjoying more than I probably should!

Everyone should at least try the demo for this.

Kurod

Banned
I feel bad for laughing at Javier's cat puns.

"Ohhh Not in the stomach! You're going to make me puma pants!"

Childish but God help me I love it so.

-PXG-

This is the first game in many many many many years that I can honestly say is basically perfect. I don't have any complaints. I just wish it was longer. Seriously. I can't say anything negative about the game. If there is ever sequel, don't change a damn thing. Just give me more. More levels, more enemies and variants, more side quests, more collectibles. That's it. The core formula, controls and art are top notch.

Drinkbox has a gem here. Wonderful game and easily worth the cost of admission. Everyone needs to play it. I really hope the Sony exclusivity isn't too long so that Xbox, PC and Nintendo fans can get a taste in a reasonable time frame.

Anyway, I beat Calaca. Now off 100% and then maybe on to Hard mode.

Sidzed2

I'm enjoying the game a fair bit, but I'm finding the controls and animations a touch rigid - they're almost too precise, and there's no sense of momentum, which throws me off. Hopefully I can get used to it.

Bullza2o

Looks great, but after buying a Pikachu 3DS XL, Luigi's Mansion, and HarmoKnight I feel like I'm buying too many videogames lately. Hopefully this game will go even more on sale than its $12 for PS+ members in the near future. In the summer or so.

-PXG-

I'm enjoying the game a fair bit, but I'm finding the controls and animations a touch rigid - they're almost too precise, and there's no sense of momentum, which throws me off. Hopefully I can get used to it.

Welcome to 60 fps + pixel perfect precision my friend. It's the way games should feel, honestly. No lag, floaty feeling, or fake "weight". In most cases, if something bad happens, it's your fault. Super Meat Boy was like that too.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Finally beat it with the orbs. Loved everything bar the evil platform orb sections, which were well-executed but HORRIFYING if you are prone to controller-claw pain.

Would love more. I get the feeling they cut the orb section from the mine area and any mine-related town quest. I wonder of that'll be DLC.

Still, the final takeaway for me is that this really is a game-lover's game. Pure hardcore. Not for Casual gamer filth. It's very clearly made by people who love games.

The_Afroman

VfgykW7l.jpg

How?

You do NOT need the Fly ability. I did this without it. You need the Blue punch and double. thats it. You start with the center pole on, then jump towards it, switch to pass it, then double jump and switch again, then you do the blue dash punch, then red uppercut.

It took me a while but i did this without the fly. Yes the fly makes it easier but it is possible without it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
About to try co-op out with my housemate, and want to clarify how it works. I have the Vita version, and we'll be using his PS3, which doesn't have the game installed. Will I have to log in to his PS3 with my PSN account and download Guacamelee there, too? Or is there some sort of ad hoc network that we can create?

I'm new to both the PS3 and the Vita, so sorry if this stuff is super obvious.

This is the relevant part of the OP for what I'm trying to do, right?

How do I register my Vita with my PS3?
1) From the PS3′s XMB menu, go to SETTINGS
2) Scroll down and select REMOTE PLAY SETTINGS
3) Select REGISTER DEVICE
4) Select PS Vita System as the ‘device to register’
5) On your Vita, select REMOTE PLAY from the Live Area (main menu)
6) Tap on Start
7) Tap on the 3 dots in the bottom right corner
8) Tap on SETTINGS
9) Tap on ‘Change Connected PS3 System’
10) Tap on NEXT in the bottom right corner
11) Enter the 8 digit number on the PS3 display screen
Voila! Hopefully that works!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You do NOT need the Fly ability. I did this without it. You need the Blue punch and double. thats it. You start with the center pole on, then jump towards it, switch to pass it, then double jump and switch again, then you do the blue dash punch, then red uppercut.

It took me a while but i did this without the fly. Yes the fly makes it easier but it is possible without it.

That's pretty much exactly how I did it.

Even after I got the fly ability, I still did the final temple the old fashioned way. It just felt kind of like cheating to use it on some of those really cool, challenging platforming puzzles. Next time, though, yeah, I'll probably use the flight. Lol.

leroidys

I've been having it freeze or glitch out on vita very often. A lot of times right when I complete a quest or get an item. Very irritating.

Top Bottom