• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Mogwai

Damn. Just watched some gameplay of the game. Now I regret my decision to sell my PS3 Slim even more... The game looks awesome though. I really dig the artstyle and music. Seems to hit the mexican vibe very well.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
mincraft pickaxe icon on mine shop
Numerous Zelda references - I am Error quest from Zelda 2, chickens...
Pretty sure there's a Zangief poster too

Groof

Playing on hard now. Man; even Xtabay is a right cheesy pain the arse

Funny you should mention this, I finished that fight like 10 minutes ago before taking a break, and man, it actually took me a few tries. Gonna have to be a lot more careful from now on. :)

Where do I find the
chile for the perfect enchilada quest
? I can't find it and its driving me crazy. About to go to the
Sierra

rebonack

Playing hard mode now and spotted a
VVVVVV
reference I missed before. So let's try and make a list of every game/series reference in this game.

- Mario: poster of the brothers, plus the obvious nod to the bowser fight and 'your princess is in another castle'
- Zelda: Link & Majora's mask posters and I Am Error, one of my favorite nods.
- Metroid: Chozo statues and Metroid statues as well.
- Castlevania: mural of a Belmont whipping a foe. Feel like there should be more, but that's all I can think of.
- Mega Man: optional platform challenge has the known disappearing platforms. Poster of a power tank and MM Luchador
- Donkey Kong: statues block your way in the desert
- Journey: robed figure in the snowy mountains
- Grim Fandango: poster of 'Manny Cavalera missing'
- Alex Kidd: also a missing poster
- Super Meat Boy vs N+ in a poster
- Final Fantasy : cactuars in the desert
- Castle Crashers poster
- Phoenix Wright: Gumshoe achievement
- Viva Pinata: house with this name
- VVVVVV: painting in a house
- Minecraft: 'mine forever', house near the combat trial mines
- Game sites: Destructoid vs Giant Bomb poster in the chicken combo room

Any more?

There's a picture of what looks like
Booster from Super Mario RPG
in one of the houses in town.

Camjo-Z

VVVVVV
reference I missed before. So let's try and make a list of every game/series reference in this game.

*snip*

Any more?

I remember seeing a silhouette of Megaman on a wall somewhere in Santa Luchita.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel like I'm one of the few people that had no problems with Jaguar Javier. It's a fight that you can't just mash the attack buttons and perform long combo strings on. It's a slow, deliberate fight, and Javier has patterns to his moves. It's a very stick and move fight. I think he killed me twice while I was still learning his patterns and attack ranges. Once I figured out the hit boxes for his attacks, and kept to simple two or three hit combos. You will spend a large portion of the fight jumping around and avoiding his stronger attacks, but on the end, he'll be dead, and you'll have not smashed your controller or Vita against a wall.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I'm currently at an objective to meet the wicked X'taby over at Pueblucho.

The memes in this game can be a little too much. I could understand video game memes but internet ones? It's going a little too overboard there. Luckily the charm and personality of this game is far outweighing that negative.

Camjo-Z

The last fight is just...insane. The last (i'm guessing last) half of it is ridiculous. I don't know what I should do.

First you should just watch him to see what his "tell" is for each of his moves, learn how to dodge all of them, and then just make sure when you attack him you give yourself enough time to dodge his next move. I had trouble at first but once I started doing that I beat him without any trouble.

Jinfash has a good breakdown of the last boss's moves. I would add that you can also just duck under the fire beam rather than turn into a chicken.

• He shouts when he's about to stomp the ground and raise lava, raising his arms. That's your cue to pull back from the hands, jump>double jump>uppercut if necessary.
  • He takes a step or two back when he's about to breath fire horizontally. That's your cue to turn into a chicken.
  • He does this weird gesture (crossing his arm?) when he's about to unleash the vertical and cross fire beams. And you see them forming as a warning. That's your cue to stand in the center regardless of which one he goes with.
  • He kind of sits there motionless for a second with his mouth open when he's about to shoot the purple bullets. That's your cue to dodge around.
  • Grabbing the falling rocks and throwing it them at him is optional. In fact if you ignore them and just keep meleeing him, you'll earn a trophy. They inflict him with more damage though. But they're harmless to you, so don't worry about them.

I might be a bit off with the audiovisual cues of his attacks, so maybe you should do a test run, but those reactions will surely keep you safe. He didn't touch me even once on my Hard run.

VanWinkle

Learn his tells for each attack. I think he has 5 attacks and each one has a very easy to read tell. Also the falling fireballs don't harm you.

First you should just watch him to see what his "tell" is for each of his moves, learn how to dodge all of them, and then just make sure when you attack him you give yourself enough time to dodge his next move. I had trouble at first but once I started doing that I beat him without any trouble.

Okay I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Edit: Actually not really. I still can't seem to get him under half health. My anger levels are very high right now, lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's a picture of what looks like
Booster from Super Mario RPG
in one of the houses in town.

Ow yes, I thought I recognized that face from somewhere... Thanks for pointing that out.

Just beat Jaguar on hard. I had a good strategy that worked perfectly until he goes into hyper mode in the last 10% of the fight. I'd just wait for him to do his slam move, then move in and start a juggle combo. The key is keeping your distance and being patient, like Figboy said. Final bit is where it gets really tough. His recharging shield forces you to go for a longer combo and you can't wait it out like you did before. Tense battle, went on for minutes.

Kurod

Banned
VVVVVV

- Mario: poster of the brothers, plus the obvious nod to the bowser fight and 'your princess is in another castle'
- Zelda: Link & Majora's mask posters and I Am Error, one of my favorite nods.
- Metroid: Chozo statues and Metroid statues as well.
- Castlevania: mural of a Belmont whipping a foe. Feel like there should be more, but that's all I can think of.
- Mega Man: optional platform challenge has the known disappearing platforms. Poster of a power tank and MM Luchador
- Donkey Kong: statues block your way in the desert
- Journey: robed figure in the snowy mountains
- Grim Fandango: poster of 'Manny Cavalera missing'
- Alex Kidd: also a missing poster
- Super Meat Boy vs N+ in a poster
- Final Fantasy : cactuars in the desert
- Castle Crashers poster
- Phoenix Wright: Gumshoe achievement
- Viva Pinata: house with this name
- VVVVVV: painting in a house
- Minecraft: 'mine forever', house near the combat trial mines
- Game sites: Destructoid vs Giant Bomb poster in the chicken combo room

Any more?

Space Invader: In the outer wall of the Temple of Rain next to the sleeping giant dragon thing

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I had a dream about Guacamelee last night, haha. Which is weird, cause I've only played about two hours so far. (I've literally spent more time trying to get co-op working than actually playing, lol.)

I think the game has glitched on me (yet again). I've got all the chests now apart from the desert, where I'm at about 93%, so I assume I need one more. There's this blue block I smashed through underground, but found nothing behind it. Does anyone here recall finding a chest in that particular area?

So no-one has the same problem as I have with Flame Face? He spins and leaves the screen never to come back. I found someone on Giantbomb having the same problem as I have, but no solution (someone suggested getting at least one orb, but that doesn't help). I'm on the PS3 version btw.

Endo Punk

So no-one has the same problem as I have with Flame Face? He spins and leaves the screen never to come back. I found someone on Giantbomb having the same problem as I have, but no solution (someone suggested getting at least one orb, but that doesn't help). I'm on the PS3 version btw.

I had the same problem. He would go to the top and once he performs the diagonal spin he would go off screen so I couldn't continue, happened twice. The way I overcame it is that I made sure he doesn't do a diagonal spin so when he teleports to the top platform I just run and do fire uppercuts a few times to daze him. It worked and then he would come back down but unfortunately it meant I wasn't able to enjoy the fight because I had to kill him fast due to the fear of such glitches.

The game should definitely get patched.

VanWinkle

After an hour at the final boss I beat it. Great game. I didn't like the ending though :( Now to go back and try to find all the missing items.

suikodan

I bought the game while it's on sale but I wonder if I should hold to play coop with a friend. Is the coop good? Can you play both on a PS3 or one on console and the other on Vita?

Derrick01

Banned
Finished at exactly 5 hours. Pretty fun little game, not bad for an indie effort at all. Managed to end up with 38 trophies done too. I'm going to go back and wrap up the 100% in each area and finish the 1 side quest I somehow missed out on, then finish it on hard to clean up the platinum.

Just went back to get the 100% for each area which added just under another 2 hours to the runtime. I'm glad I did just for that extra sort of hidden area of platforming in the tree.
I'll give hard mode a shake somewhere down the line.

Noi

Cleared Tree Tops. Maybe it was the hype from the thread, but that was a lot easier than what I was expecting.

I bought this game already, it's sitting pretty on the XMB, but looking at the reports of bugs, i'm gonna wait until a patch comes out to play it, i have an enormous backlog anyways.

Cleared Tree Tops. Maybe it was the hype from the thread, but that was a lot easier than what I was expecting.

I found it challenging much like a lot of the other parts of the game, but once you "solve" it it really isn't so bad. Also I think everyone's capabilities are different with regards to platforming and combat.

Endo Punk

I found it challenging much like a lot of the other parts of the game, but once you "solve" it it really isn't so bad. Also I think everyone's capabilities are different with regards to platforming and combat.

I tried to tackle that part before I got goat fly and I was so close to just pulling my hair out lol.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah the disappearing platforms was way harder than the tree tops
Same here. It was by the far the one that tested my patience. It wasn't hard per se, after all the platforms were all in plain sight and abundance, it just took some focus and patience. The more I fell, the more I felt it was mocking me.

Chris R

This is fun. Only played an hour or so thus far but I'm loving it.

Is there a way to look up "quests" I'm currently doing? Also, voiced dialog would be nice for a sequel. The colors are so vibrant on the Vita.

Huff

Banned
Same here. It was by the far the one that tested my patience. It wasn't hard per se, after all the platforms were all in plain sight and abundance, it just took some focus and patience. The more I fell, the more I felt it was mocking me.

I just kept rushing through and making dumb mistakes, which caused me to rush even more. In the end, none of the platforming was that difficult, but it was fun and fulfilling. Any harder would probably have lessened my enjoyment of the game. Unless it was like an optional fuck you session DLC

Sorian

Banned
Finished at exactly 5 hours. Pretty fun little game, not bad for an indie effort at all. Managed to end up with 38 trophies done too. I'm going to go back and wrap up the 100% in each area and finish the 1 side quest I somehow missed out on, then finish it on hard to clean up the platinum.

Aw shit, looks like I'm bumping this up to a quicker buy now.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I might be way late to the party, but I liked the hidden QR code "red herring".
Was so pleased with myself on the train this morning; Vita in one hand, phone in the other, looking like a lunatic pointing one at the other... and the reward for doing so... haha.

Such a neat, fun little game. Can tell I'm going to enjoy trying to 100% this.

OmegaZero

So far, my favorite Hard mode boss is Javier.
So, so fun.

It was interesting how they made the bosses in hard mode, well, harder. Can't wait to see how Carlos stacks up since he was a piece of cake in normal.

Top Bottom