• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Mik2121

After reading the OP I went to my Vita to finally play a game after months and... surprise.. not available on the Japanese store.

The Vita Japanese store is a goddamn joke full of anime stuff and that's it...

OmegaZero

Just beat hard mode and Platinumed the game (and finally saw the normal ending).
The only negative thing I can say about this game is that it was shorter then I would have liked. The memes and humor seemed rather forced, but it was easy to ignore them.

The combat is surprisingly deep, the platforming feels tight, the level design is appropriately challenging and the music is very catchy. The visuals look great, and have a charming style fitting in with the Mexican theme. The bosses are actually challenging without feeling unfair.
Just a well-designed game overall.

Shame there's no co-op or playable Tostada for the Vita version. :/

Caelestis

This game was awesome until I reached the Javier fight. Suddenly, I don't even want to play this anymore. I know some people are awesome with quick responses and juggling a gazzilion moves all at once, but for normal players like me this is ridiculous. ._.

Guevara

Maybe I'm slow, but I've taken my time, explored every section, tried stuff too early, didn't read a single spoiler and am just outside of the final boss with 100% of everything.

10 hours

This section has just baffled me. I have all the abilities up to the goat thing. Help please.

8648099323_d2d7a1581a.jpg

Guevara

This section has just baffled me. I have all the abilities up to the goat thing. Help please.

8648099323_d2d7a1581a.jpg
You can actually do this part without goat fly. Grab onto the block on the left, do the rocket thing upwards, tap left once briefly and you land just to the right of the spikes (on top of the block). From there it's a few simple jumps.
That's not how it's supposed to be done.

VanWinkle

I can run
up flat walls, if that's wha you mean. I holt the triangle button, then press up and Juan then shoots up like a fireball.
If that's what you mean.

Nope you're missing an ability, where you hit "->"+"o" when on a wall. You must have missed it, or you just haven't got to the point where you get it yet.

I can run
up flat walls, if that's wha you mean. I holt the triangle button, then press up and Juan then shoots up like a fireball.
If that's what you mean.

Nope you eventually get an ability to fly horizontally until you hit a wall. So that left most short platform you would cling onto and then fly to the right, dimension swap then land on the far right short platform then run up the wall and land on top of it to where you would then double jump and upper cut and dimension swap to the right "T"

Basically you need to progress the game further and get the Goat Fly.

You can actually do this part without goat fly. Grab onto the block on the left, do the rocket thing upwards, tap left once briefly and you land just to the right of the spikes (on top of the block). From there it's a few simple jumps.

True as that may be he still needs to just stop and get the Goat Fly ability, because the upcoming sections force you to have it.

What? Did you actually finish the tree top challenge without goat fly?
Those center blocks are not climbable.

what's better this or shadow complex

That's a tough one. I'd say they're about even, but for different reasons. Shadow Complex had a more fun combat system, but the sense of humor in Guacamelee is very impressive. Both have some amazing platforming.

I'm so bummed we never got a Shadow Complex 2.

Pewp

Anyone know if there's supposed to be a treasure in that room? I'm at 87% in Sierra Morena and I've searched everywhere. Maybe it glitched out on me?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion

Weird. I had goat fly and did it with double jumps, uppercuts, derps and lotsa switching.

Grinchy

Banned
wow this looks awesome. I didn't realize it was a cross controller game until reading the OP. That looked almost like some wii u stuff.

Tizoc

This game was awesome until I reached the Javier fight. Suddenly, I don't even want to play this anymore. I know some people are awesome with quick responses and juggling a gazzilion moves all at once, but for normal players like me this is ridiculous. ._.

That boss fight was normal for me. Granted I was done to critical health by the time I beat him, but he wasn't too hard.

Going back to do some quick clean up before fighting the final boss, but I still dislike how Juan is (mostly) emotionless and mute.

PaulloDEC

So I'm working on climbing the Tree Tops now.

Clearly there's some weird rules going on behind the scenes for when you can and can't do your circle + direction moves. I'm currently at a bit where you have to keep switching from one side of a central post to the other, as spikes line alternate sides in sections. You race up the post, switch dimensions to leap through it, switch back to make it solid again, blue-rush back towards it and grab on with triangle.

Took me some time to nail it down, but now I can do it pretty consistently for the first two sections of the post.

The third section though? Every single time I do it (and it's been about a dozen now) I get to the point where the blue-rush move is required and all I get is an impotent yellow flash and an infuriating "No" buzzing noise. I have something like seven blocks of stamina, and I'm never short on them by the time I reach the last section.

What. Is. Going. On.

Number45

The third section though? Every single time I do it (and it's been about a dozen now) I get to the point where the blue-rush move is required and all I get is an impotent yellow flash and an infuriating "No" buzzing noise. I have something like seven blocks of stamina, and I'm never short on them by the time I reach the last section.

What. Is. Going. On.
Sounds like you're trying the move more that once in a single "jump". Which section is that? I thought the third section was the goat run where you just need to time the shifts and double jump at the end.

Number45

I don't think I've found that area yet.

If I double jump and uppercut above the luchador statue I see a prompt as if there's a door there but I can't seem to enter it. Am I missing something there?

Number45

Drinkbox have posted on Twitter to remind people that the NA PS+ discount ends tomorrow, and PSN will be down later apparently. Buy the game!

Good video! I mostly used jump-switching at te buzz saw, but cool to see it done purely w goat fly.
I didn't watch on after the initial few seconds, but I did the saw part with goat fly almost exclusively.

Top Bottom