• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

eXistor

Finished it. Nice little game. Again, I wish they focused more on the exploration part, I feel that's a but under-developed as it is and it's a bit too action-y for my tastes, but it's very polished and definitely worth a look. Loved the graphical style, controls, music and the humor so it's got a lot going for it.

what's better this or shadow complex

Depends on what you're looking for. It's been a while since I last played Shadow Complex, but its map is much more exploration-based from what I remember and has better secrets and stuff, Guacamelee is much more an action game than a Metroid-like. Guacamelee has it beat in presentation though.

Personally I'd say Shadow Complex overall, I feel it's a more well-rounded game.

Labadal

The game is so much fun! I've collected I can get to with my current skills. The Temple of Rain was fun. After that, I went to complete new combos on Poncho. I'm currently at the desert, and barring those annoying cacti, I'm having more fun.

Anyone played in co-op? I was planning to play with my brother, but he has an exam soon. No time for him to play games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Drinkbox have posted on Twitter to remind people that the NA PS+ discount ends tomorrow, and PSN will be down later apparently. Buy the game!

I didn't watch on after the initial few seconds, but I did the saw part with goat fly almost exclusively.

Seems like it was easier than how I did it.

*facepalm*

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The music in this game is awesome.

I also dug a lot the whole tree section. The platforming reminds me a lot of Outland, but I like the atmosphere and controls in this game much more.

Great game.

Labadal

Why in the hell do people make games today with only one save slot? My kid started a new game and it erased my game :/

I'm not going to defend that decision since I'm against it, but why not have a sub account for him? I usually don't let anyone in the house use my account on either console because this has happened to me more than once.

Cess007

Does anyone knows or can make this image larger? It's so awesome i wanted it for wallpaper (minus the names) :p

BH68jxXCUAAIIff.png

Starting my hard playthrough earlier today, I noticed that Juan has a poster of Tostada in his home, back when she was alive.

And holy shit was Javier a humungous pain in the arse second time through. What a bitch.

What a gem. All I can say is I wish it was longer, but thats a testament to how fun the game is. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth, I just want more!

I'm playing the PS3 version from my Vita and it's lacking the sound effects. I checked in my PS3 settings for cross play and it has PS3 selected for sound output. Anyone else having this issue?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I'm playing the PS3 version from my Vita and it's lacking the sound effects. I checked in my PS3 settings for cross play and it has PS3 selected for sound output. Anyone else having this issue?

Maybe you have the cross play set to the multiplayer version (one guy playing on a vita as controller and watching on TV, the other with ps3 dual shock on a TV).

Maybe you have the cross play set to the multiplayer version (one guy playing on a vita as controller and watching on TV, the other with ps3 dual shock on a TV).

How do you differentiate? I have just my vita running with the ps3. I turned off the ps3 controller and it's still the same issue.

Okay, so I'm in Forest del Chivo (dark version I believe), and I came across a skull lever thing. I pull it, it starts ticking, but I have no idea what it did. Its over a pit of poison and you have to turn into a chicken, then jump on some small platforms to reach it.

Anyone know what it does?

dsigns1

Okay, so I'm in Forest del Chivo (dark version I believe), and I came across a skull lever thing. I pull it, it starts ticking, but I have no idea what it did. Its over a pit of poison and you have to turn into a chicken, then jump on some small platforms to reach it.

Anyone know what it does?
pull the lever then exit that area. Go directly above that area, grab the wall and fly to the left. You will hit a block floating the the sky. Drop down immediately. You will find a hidden treasure.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is the part I'm struggling with.

Going by that guy's tactics I clearly don't need to do the blue-rush move at all, which is nice. I'll give it another go tomorrow when my hands un-cramp.
The guy is making the same mistakes I did: using goat fly for the buzzsaw portion. To make your life easier simply jump. The advantage is that you can use press X+R2 to jump and warp at the same time to pass the trickier parts. By the time I realized that it took me one try and a few seconds to pass that area.

Agent X

I got this game yesterday, and so far I'd say it's excellent! It's got great artwork with lots of cute references to other video games, some fun fighting moves, and levels designed with clever puzzles that challenge you to make use of all of your acquired techniques. I haven't tried it on PS3 yet, but it's a great fit for the Vita, and looks really sweet on that system. This game is a definite winner!

The guy is making the same mistakes I did: using goat fly for the buzzsaw portion. To make your life easier simply jump. The advantage is that you can use press X+R2 to jump and warp at the same time to pass the trickier parts. By the time I realized it took me one try and a few seconds to pass that area.

I found the goat fly to be easy. There is some start up frames that allow you to switch dimensions once you initiate it.

In other news I got my platinum! Hard is incredibly challenging. Even some of the arena battles proved difficult. Really enjoyed this game, easily my favorite of the year so far. Better than Infinite and Fire Emblem IMO.

Jaguar Javier fight is terrible. Apparently they made this game for a different person, who is not me. I got him down to half health after 10 tries. Call me when they patch this fight. I'm not going to bang my head against that mess. I loved the game up to this point, but games that are this unbalanced are not worth any more of my time.

Skyzard

Banned
Jaguar Javier fight is terrible. Apparently they made this game for a different person, who is not me. I got him down to half health after 10 tries. Call me when they patch this fight. I'm not going to bang my head against that mess. I loved the game up to this point, but games that are this unbalanced are not worth any more of my time.

They giveaway their moves, it takes a little while and some concentration but with each boss you can get better once you see their tells. I'm sure someone else here has posted specific tips as well.
The timing can be quite tight in this game, with the platforming too...but that adds replayability and challenge, it's already quite short. Maybe it should offer an easy mode for certain fights after quite a few deaths.

Double D

I'm not going to defend that decision since I'm against it, but why not have a sub account for him? I usually don't let anyone in the house use my account on either console because this has happened to me more than once.

Only playing on Vita. In his defense, it's his Vita. But he never would have turned the thing on ever again had he not seen me playing something on it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If you're playing on Normal: A lot of people recommended lots of wall-hugging and a bit of patience. By merely breaking his colored shield he loses a bit of health. When you're not hugging the wall always be jumping+dodging like a lunatic, to avoid most of his regular attacks plus his fire charge. The only one you have to be wary of is the fire pillar. I personally didn't have much of a problem with him on my first playthrough. By the time I reached him I had collected almost every heart and stamina shard available, and I kinda enjoyed rushing him. Took him down in one try.

Now Javier on Hard...

i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

I found the goat fly to be easy. There is some start up frames that allow you to switch dimensions once you initiate it.

In other news I got my platinum! Hard is incredibly challenging. Even some of the arena battles proved difficult. Really enjoyed this game, easily my favorite of the year so far. Better than Infinite and Fire Emblem IMO.
I didn't think about exploiting the start-up, good point. Either way, jump+warp made the portion a piece of cake, so no complaints here.

And congrats!

VanWinkle

If you're playing on Normal: A lot of people recommended lots of wall-hugging and a bit of patience. By merely breaking his colored shield he loses a bit of health. When you're not hugging the wall always be jumping+dodging like a lunatic, to avoid most of his regular attacks plus his fire charge. The only one you have to be wary of is the fire pillar. I personally didn't have too much problems with him on my first playthrough. By the time I reached him I had collected almost every heart and stamina shard available, and I kinda enjoyed rushing him. Took him down in one

It's kind of interesting. There's been so many times where I've gotten incredibly frustrated on this game, both in combat and in platforming sections. They seem impossible. But then by the time you do it enough, and you're almost running on autopilot, it gets to a point where, when you're done with the section, to go back and play it again, it's suddenly easy. It's like your fingers are suddenly doing everything by themselves without you having to think about it, because, really, you don't have time to think about a lot of this stuff. It's building muscle memory.

OmegaZero

I found it pretty easy to constantly damage Javier (on Hard) by rushing him after breaking his shield. Just use the dashing punch on him after he dodges out of your combo then roll cancel it immediately to avoid/absorb his next attack. This keeps his shield from recovering so you can wail on him.
Repeat until he uses that fire pillar attack, break his shield, and then do it all over again.

The only thing I hated was when he would constantly dash-cancel a strike four times in a row.

lantus

I wasn't aware the Jaguar Javier fight was giving some people such a hard time, I managed to beat him on my second try. I thought it was a fun fight. :/ We'll see how it turns out when I try it later on hard.

I'm going to yell, please understand.

DAMMIT THIS GAME IS GOOD I LOVE BUT DAMMIT I'M TOO FUCKING OLD FOR ALL THE FINGER GYMNASTICS I HAVE TO GO THROUGH TO CLIMB A FUCKING WALL. X,L2,XX,O DPAD UP HOLY SHIT YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME WITH BEER OR LIQUOR BECAUSE IT WILL FUCK UP YOUR HIGH. RANT OVER.

I really like this game, it's the best money that i've spent in a minute.

lantus

Bought it out of boredom and I'm loving it. Feels a lot better on the Vita though, it's tighter.

I do love playing it on Vita too overall, I did have problems later on though, when you get the the really challenging platforming sections my thumb accidentally touches the right stick and dodges totally fucking me up.

dsigns1

I do love playing it on Vita too overall, I did have problems later on though, when you get the the really challenging platforming sections my thumb accidentally touches the right stick and dodges totally fucking me up.
I love the game on the vita dpad. Platinumed it on vita.

Tizoc

I need some to tips to defeat the 2nd
Calaca battle, damn giant is killing me and I don't ever have time to even damage him =_=

dsigns1

I need some to tips to defeat the 2nd
Calaca battle, damn giant is killing me and I don't ever have time to even damage him =_=
memorize his moves. After you dodge whatever he does get in close and break his shield and get a few hits in. I like to blue punch right then left so i can roll back to the center. Always return to the center and prepare for his next wave of attacks. Ignore catching the falling rocks unless you know for sure you have time to throw it. Just be patient and don't overdo it or he will get a hit in.

Really enjoying this game. Why on Earth can you not have multiple saves though? I can't even let my friend try out her own fresh game without deleting my progress.

Noogy

Really enjoying this game. Why on Earth can you not have multiple saves though? I can't even let my friend try out her own fresh game without deleting my progress.

Just picked up the game as a huge Metroid fan, and liking what I see so far. But yeah, I don't understand the single save. My wife and I like to play Metroids/Castlevanias in tandem, and we won't be able to with this game. Seriously hope it's added in an update, because otherwise game seems great.

Top Bottom