• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Skyzard

Banned
I was expecting more about that part:
like having to fight the now freed devil or something like that

I was actually expecting the same, although not a huge deal. I like these weird characters, hopefully more info on the keeper of the mask and the goatman in any future dlc if possible.

Also there was that weird mention of el presidente's son and an affair and thankfully he's out of the picture. Bit random but who knows as the way I heard it, it sounded like he was dating his sister :S

Another random thing, that girl jumping around because the fray guy told her she was the best at maths is the most annoying character in this game for me haha.

Also what were the kids playing with, I think I asked this before sorry didn't see the reply - is it pokemon? They are animated, kids in a circle - santa luchita iirc.

Number45

So are there any particularly well hidden treasures in the desert? I really can't see anywhere that I've missed (I have the final FINAL ability) but I'm missing 7%. :(

I loved this game. Should I pick up Mutant Blobs Attack?
It's not as good, but it's a very fun game.

RPGCrazied

Got it, love it. Played through the temple of rain. I wish it tracked side quests better. I have no clue where to find some cheese, and how to get the band back together.

see5harp

Mutant Blobs had a cool art design with the retro monster movie vibe but I didn't think it lived up to any expectations I had built up from GAF at Vita launch. It wasn't a great platformer, it wasn't a good speed run game, and the tilt levels were straight terrible.

see5harp

Caverna del pollo is buggy. Sometimes, enemies don't appear, sometimes the gate to the next area doesn't open after beating the enemies. At this rate, i'll never make it to the bottom. Great game though.

VERY much so. I had a ton of issues finishing the 3rd and final group of trials because either enemies wouldn't spawn or the door on the floor would not open. Slowing down and allowing combo chains to break seemed to help.

Guevara

I would wait for the next drought and remember don't have super high expectations. Imo guacamelee was a lot more fun than MBA, which wasn't a bad game, just 1.5-2 leagues of awesome down.

Thanks, that seems to be the consensus. I'll wait until I clear through some of my backlog.

Dingotech

Finished normal 100% two nights ago.

Started my hard play through last night and its definitely a lot tougher, no where near as much room for you to make errors against enemies.

Fought the first boss and found her pretty tough as well till I understood an attack pattern that wouldn't get me damaged. Up to the second boss when I called it quits last night.

Awesome game.

leng jai

This game really came out of nowhere for me. Decided to get it before the discount expired and it's looking like a solid decision. Game looks gorgeous on the Vita and the controls are tight as fuck. The art, music and might humour gives it a certain charm that the vast majority of games these days lack. I'm surprised by the depth of the combat as I was expecting something very basic.

Platinum get, me gusta!

hEEGv7g.jpg

Great game. Not much to add what everyone else has already praised it for.

I did have quite a few bugs tho. Usually preventing some event from starting. Happened before a boss, after final boss, during arena... So yeah it was somewhat unstable at times. Thankfully checkpoints were encountered quite often so nothing too bad exept having to do the last boss on hard twice.

Def interested to see what Drinkbox will do next. Loved Mutant Blobs Attack and this. Heck, I should check out the first Tales from Space game! Any opinions how it compares to the sequel? Shame it's not on Vita tho :(.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I came across a bug when I was fighting Javier on hard. He beat my ass a few times and when I restarted, he was just standing there with the camera still zoomed in from the little pre-fight cutscene. I could move around and he only attacked when I hit him. I thought I wasn't doing any damage until his white shield came up which usually happens near the end of the fight. Before I knew it he was down! I thought I cheated my way through that excruciating boss fight until I realized I couldn't progress further as the post-fight cutscene didn't trigger. I had to quit the game and continue. After a few times, I finally beat him and got the platinum shortly after. This game is easily one of my favorite games of the year so far. I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel.

I came across a bug when I was fighting Javier on hard. He beat my ass a few times and when I restarted, he was just standing there with the camera still zoomed in from the little pre-fight cutscene. I could move around and he only attacked when I hit him. I thought I wasn't doing any damage until his white shield came up which usually happens near the end of the fight. Before I knew it he was down! I thought I cheated my way through that excruciating boss fight until I realized I couldn't progress further as the post-fight cutscene didn't trigger. I had to quit the game and continue. After a few times, I finally beat him and got the platinum shortly after. This game is easily one of my favorite games of the year so far. I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel.

Guacamelee! X Tales From Space crossover game!

I got that once as well. I also had a few arenas not populate forcing me to quit out and restart. I only experienced these on Hard, but that is probably because I died and had to restart areas a lot in hard.

I got that once as well. I also had a few arenas not populate forcing me to quit out and restart. I only experienced these on Hard, but that is probably because I died and had to restart areas a lot in hard.

I had this problem in the Pollo Cave (?). I think it was because I went to the next arena before the autosave/loading skull thingy was finished.

I had no problems once I waited a few extra secs for it to finish.

I had this problem in the Pollo Cave (?). I think it was because I went to the next arena before the autosave/loading skull thingy was finished.

I had no problems once I waited a few extra secs for it to finish.

No my issue was dying and the game restarting to my check point and then.......nothing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Yup, encountered the same glitch...

Okay, after a perfectly bug-free run on normal, I have run into my 6th bug on hard mode under 3 hours.
KuGsj.gif

I've already reported some, but here are a couple new ones:
- Arena fights starting with no enemies spawning -> must quit
- After 15+ retries at Jaguar Javier's boss battle, I found myself standing in front of him, camera still zoomed in, no HP gauge, etc. It felt like a cutscene yet I was able to control my character. I was also able to inflict damage on him, he fought back but WAY less aggressively. A few seconds later I beat him and he started giving his defeat speech. Wut?! Unfortunately after the chat was over my character froze and had to quit. Redoing the fight right now. Ugh.

Skyzard

Banned
I've only had these glitches a few times and in arenas on hard mode. Usually (only?) it's when I've returned to the game without loading but from standby. Most of the time it's fine though.

88% only a 2 more areas and the chicken combo to 100%. This may end up being my first platinum hah. Mustered up quite a few hours so far with normal+hard combined. Sort of glad it wasn't all that much longer as I can see myself replaying this a few times for the platforming/combat fun.

I really hope the devs treat us with some form of arena/puzzle section for easy replays, or new stages /story dlc. I can platform with guacamelee all day. After dying a million times I can do the buzzsaw treetop section with relative ease now too, rocketing into jumps and horizontal glides. Don't even need to hold triangle. Feels so good (after the million failed attempts). You guys saved me the worry from the
half-way troll too :p

Almost finished the game but I've encountered a glitch on the third stage of the caverna del pollo where once you beat all the enemies of a floor you are locked inside. Fucking infuriating.
Also, those fucking dragons that spam the shit out of their fireballs can fuck right off. Cheap bastards.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I think i hit my first bug.. I just left the temple of rain to go to the womans house in the forest but somehow the last portal i took put me in the land of the dead and now i cant get into anywhere as its all blocked off and there are no portals to ge back into the living... Has anyone run into this or can firgure out a way to solve it?? Or any ideas where a living portal is?!

Ridley327

I didn't think Hard mode would get that evil, but the final required arena fight quickly turns into the stuff of nightmares.

"So you think two high priests was easy, huh? Try four, motherfucker!"

It basically becomes bullet hell at that point.

Oh well, got my platinum trophy!

I didn't think Hard mode would get that evil, but the final required arena fight quickly turns into the stuff of nightmares.

"So you think two high priests was easy, huh? Try four, motherfucker!"

It basically becomes bullet hell at that point.

Oh well, got my platinum trophy!

I got lucky on one try where one of them didn't even attack, but wow when everyone of them is throwing crap all over the screen. I also had a way more difficult time then I ever should have had with the arena that has the wall in the center with spikes on top and there is a white and red skeleton on both sides and those count down exploding things show up.

Yea, hard mode is no joke.

Aaaaand completed it. The last boss actually wasn't very difficult at all. The first form was especially easy. I'm not even gonna attempt it on hard, though.

Dingotech

Just tried the flame boss on hard and eek is it difficult when he spawns multiple little yellow guys in different dimensions...

This is going to take me quite a few tries I'd say.

dock

Does anyone like metroidvanias that didn't care for super metroid or castlevania SOTN?

Perhaps I should force myself to give those games another shot before I touch this.

How long is this game?

xJavonta

Banned
Does anyone like metroidvanias that didn't care for super metroid or castlevania SOTN?

Perhaps I should force myself to give those games another shot before I touch this.

How long is this game?
Not a huge Castlevania fan and thought Super Metroid was ok but I loved this. Took me 7 hrs and 27 mins I think

kenta

Has no PEINS

How long is this game?
I've tried a few times to "get" SOTN and I never have. Loved Guacamelee, and now I'm considering giving SOTN another shot because it might have clicked now. Game took me 6.5 hours, perfect length and pacing

I think i hit my first bug.. I just left the temple of rain to go to the womans house in the forest but somehow the last portal i took put me in the land of the dead and now i cant get into anywhere as its all blocked off and there are no portals to ge back into the living... Has anyone run into this or can firgure out a way to solve it?? Or any ideas where a living portal is?!

There's a portal right outside of the temple of rain, atop of a few platforms.
I accidentally did something similar, but just backtrack and jump around and you should find another portal.

It would probably help if you can tell us your exact location.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just tried the flame boss on hard and eek is it difficult when he spawns multiple little yellow guys in different dimensions...

This is going to take me quite a few tries I'd say.

The yellow dudes make the fight annoying. They're the toughest enemies on hard, any battle that has them is a pain. You'll love some of the cage fights in the last temple :p

Flame Face on normal was a formality, on hard it's suddenly a real battle.

Dingotech

The yellow dudes make the fight annoying. They're the toughest enemies on hard, any battle that has them is a pain. You'll love some of the cage fights in the last temple :p

Flame Face on normal was a formality, on hard it's suddenly a real battle.

Yeah got him eventually, and you're not wrong about the last temple...

The 4 flying lightning guys room is pissing me off soooooo much!! I had it down to one guy then made one stupid roll.

PaulloDEC

I don't get mad at games, but Sierra Morena nearly has me throwing my Vita at a wall. And I love my Vita.

Jeez guys, if you're gonna withhold the good ending, at least put it behind something vaguely passable. This section is freakin' ludicrous, I'm running my battery flat trying to beat just one section of it.

Number45

I don't get mad at games, but Sierra Morena nearly has me throwing my Vita at a wall. And I love my Vita.

Jeez guys, if you're gonna withhold the good ending, at least put it behind something vaguely passable. This section is freakin' ludicrous, I'm running my battery flat trying to beat just one section of it.
You mean the secret area there? Yeah, I did that last night, it's really harsh.

PaulloDEC

You mean the secret area there? Yeah, I did that last night, it's really harsh.

Yup, the section with the
appearing and disappearing platforms.
Even when I can get the timing and the path correct, I'm still prone to simply stuffing up the jumps. Grr.

Takiyah

I went Moves > Health > Stamina

You need to learn to use the moves situationally, for me it took a long time until I was using all the moves to their full capabilities which was a bit of a waste for moves.

If I knew everything about my playthrough then which I know now I would maybe go Down-Circle as the first move, then getting health up a bit, then getting Back-Circle, getting health and stamina and then lastly getting Forward-Circle.

Ya - the Down-Circle is a great finisher for bringing up underground enemies - saves having to get them up with Frog Slam.

PaulloDEC

Yeah, that part is brutal. It didn't take me as long as Tule Tree/Tree Tops, but it was orders of magnitude more annoying.

Agree, especially about the bloody Tule/Tree Tops. Anyway, finally nailed it. Looking at my play-time, I'd say that the second-last room of that section (i.e. the last one that isn't a cake-walk) took me somewhere in the region of 45mins -1hr.

One room. Madness.

OnPoint

So I finished the game last night after a long, long session. It was great. Quick question for those that have 100%'d it though.

I got 5/6 orbs. The only area I didn't 100% is the final area. I didn't have the time to scour for a 6th orb last night, but I feel like I got the good ending after reading the descriptions of the bad one, and the final boss dropped an orb which completed my mask. Is there a 6th statue to find? Or were there only 5?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I finished the game last night after a long, long session. It was great. Quick question for those that have 100%'d it though.

I got 5/6 orbs. The only area I didn't 100% is the final area. I didn't have the time to scour for a 6th orb last night, but I feel like I got the good ending after reading the descriptions of the bad one, and the final boss dropped an orb which completed my mask. Is there a 6th statue to find? Or were there only 5?

There are six pieces in total, the one you find for beating the final boss is the last one. If she's alive in the end, you got the good ending :)

OnPoint

They should have made that more clear. Putting
5/6 on the map screen makes the completionist in me scream!
That's a relief though, now I don't have to scour every inch of gameworld looking for something that doesn't exist.

Just Youtubed the "sad" ending. I like it better.

Top Bottom