• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Skyzard

Banned
They should have made that more clear. Putting
5/6 on the map screen makes the completionist in me scream!
That's a relief though, now I don't have to scour every inch of gameworld looking for something that doesn't exist.

Just Youtubed the "sad" ending. I like it better.

I was really confused with the sad ending
I thought he was dead from near the beginning
but it shows something else. Still not seen the true ending, been working on 100% for that, a new ending is part of what's keeping me going.

Wonko_C

I love that the upper part of the screen where your life bar is located, is totally black, like old 8-bit games. More modern games should do this, it would also double as a better alternative to subhd resolutions.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm officially done with this game. I got 100% completion on both Normal and Hard mode, and got the Platinum Trophy (for what that's worth, not a big fan of Trophies/Achievements).

Fantastic game, and I really hope that if Drinkbox make a sequel, they make the game larger, and maybe add in some RPG Lite elements to the game (I'm a sucker for collecting armor and weapon upgrades).

I ended up with a nice amount of money by the time I completed the game, but I didn't have anything else to spend it on.

In a sequel, I'd love to be able to upgrade my moves as far as strength goes.

For example, the Suplex movie, I'd like to be able to spend money to make it stronger, with maybe a max level (like 3, just like the Stamina and Health upgrades in the shop).

Or, for the Power Kick move, spending money on leveling it up not only increases the strength, but how far the opponent goes flying. Little things like that I'd love. Armor isn't important, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade your defense, ie, spending money on the "Thick Skin" ability lets you take less damage from certain types of enemies, and each level improves your defense against said enemy or enemy type (Chupacabras, for example).

More than anything, I just want more Guacamelee. It was totally worth the $11.99 I paid for it. Loved every minute of it.

Jaguar Javier on Hard mode was indeed a fuckface, but I beat that bastard!

Apdiddy

I've been playing through the game (up to Tule Tree section)....I like the world design and the "metroidvania" feel and the old school references. I don't really like the combat per se and I somewhat don't like the controls in the game -- there's not a way to remap the controls (for instance,
I want to be able to change 'swap dimension' to the same button as 'special move'
). Wall jumping just doesn't seem as solid as it should be IMO....there's been times in which the guy would just fall down even after doing a wall jump.

Other than that, it's a great game.

Huff

Banned
Just finished the game on hard. Man some of those final arenas took me longer to beat than the bosses. Glad to put this one away. Maybe I'll come back for a normal speed run one day

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just finished the game on hard. Man some of those final arenas took me longer to beat than the bosses.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Near the end of the last temple I was starting to get enough of this game tbh :p

Now I have even more respect for people speedrunning this on hard in no time. Seriously impressive considering what a bitch the final area is on hard, and that's with a bunch of upgrades.

zroid

Banned
god damn Tree Tops is hard

Reminds me of a certain section of Maple Story. Anyone who played Maple Story for a while will probably know what I mean. :p

It's made more difficult because the controls are kind of fidgety when you're made to use multiple manoeuvres in mid-air.

Dingotech

Just finished the game on hard. Man some of those final arenas took me longer to beat than the bosses. Glad to put this one away. Maybe I'll come back for a normal speed run one day

Same here!!

Finished the game 100% this morning for the Platinum, feels good man!

The second last arena area with the 4 high priest guys was a nightmare! Eventually I got a spawn where they all sat still unless I went close to them, I drew them one by one and eventually finished it.
I've got no idea how you do that room legit... it's like a bullet hell shooter when all four of them are sitting there unleashing bullets and walls of electricity, you dodgy some but end up right in the path of 3 more!

see5harp

I have no idea what happened but I beat the game once on normal. Continued my playthrough to find chests, rebeat the game and ended up getting the trophy for the hard playthrough.

Wow, just finished and platinum'd this badboy, what a ride! Freshest game I've played in a long while. I so hope that there is DLC coming or a sequel, I'm so in for either.

zroid

Banned
Is it just me, or does this game drain the battery crazy fast? I swear it's down to nil from a full charge in 2 hours. Maybe my Vita's battery is crapping out.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
On this part now. Basically pure blind luck, soo lame. At least the tule tree portions take some skill to accomplish.

Not blind luck. Once you get to the small platforms, memorize the spacing on the first four climbs, then know that the spacing between platforms goes uniform from there. I.e, there will always be a platform to jump to within X distance of another. Use uppercuts (up + O) to save your arse and just keep trying. You'll get it.

Skyzard

Banned
Is it just me, or does this game drain the battery crazy fast? I swear it's down to nil from a full charge in 2 hours. Maybe my Vita's battery is crapping out.

Might be a combination of brightness and that it keeps the psn online which isn't really needed tbh, can put it in airplane mode to save some but 2 hours seems really low. I've been playing it for the last 2-3 days and usually get at least 3-4 hours.

zroid

Banned
Might be a combination of brightness and that it keeps the psn online which isn't really needed tbh, can put it in airplane mode to save some but 2 hours seems really low. I've been playing it for the last 2-3 days and usually get at least 3-4 hours.

Do other games not stay connected to PSN, generally? It feels like I'm getting way less time from this game than the others I've played. But I haven't really played anything on Vita in a few months... >.<

Skyzard

Banned
Do other games not stay connected to PSN, generally? It feels like I'm getting way less time from this game than the others I've played. But I haven't really played anything on Vita in a few months... >.<

Depends on the game I think, sometimes they connect in the background mostly. I can tell with the friend notification popups after adding lots of gaf people.

It could have been an odd charge after a while of inactivity or something?

Sky Chief

Wow this game is cool. I wasn't really interested in it but I needed something to spend my PSN money on. Where can I get the soundtrack? It is so good!

zroid

Banned
Depends on the game I think, sometimes they connect in the background mostly. I can tell with the friend notification popups after adding lots of gaf people.

It could have been an odd charge after a while of inactivity or something?

Yeah that's kind of what I was worried about, lol. I always leave it plugged in, and maybe the capacity deteriorated since it just stayed perpetually charging for months without getting any use. I dunno. :|

I'll try playing something else later and see what happens.

zroid

Banned
God dammit, of course I spend half an hour or more wracking my brain/fingers over a platforming section which I don't have the right power-up to complete. :|

And then of course it'd be the next one I get.

Number45

I've been playing through the game (up to Tule Tree section)....I like the world design and the "metroidvania" feel and the old school references. I don't really like the combat per se and I somewhat don't like the controls in the game -- there's not a way to remap the controls (for instance,
I want to be able to change 'swap dimension' to the same button as 'special move'
). Wall jumping just doesn't seem as solid as it should be IMO....there's been times in which the guy would just fall down even after doing a wall jump.

Other than that, it's a great game.
I haven't had any problems with the wall jump - the controls (other than not being able to remap them, which is heinous as far as I'm concerned) are flawless for me.

Are you on the Vita or PS3 out of curiosity? Because I think I recall someone mentioning some of the PS3 moves are on R2/L2... which the Vita doesn't have.

zroid

Banned
I haven't had any problems with the wall jump - the controls (other than not being able to remap them, which is heinous as far as I'm concerned) are flawless for me.

Are you on the Vita or PS3 out of curiosity? Because I think I recall someone mentioning some of the PS3 moves are on R2/L2... which the Vita doesn't have.

I did have one issue with wall jumping, but it wasn't really a big deal. Usually happened when I tried to dodge near a wall and then it seems to fling you in the opposite direction afterwards. Probably more of a technical than a design issue.

I've been playing on Vita but I'm guessing it's
chicken mode
which is mapped to L2/R2?

I did have one issue with wall jumping, but it wasn't really a big deal. Usually happened when I tried to dodge near a wall and then it seems to fling you in the opposite direction afterwards. Seems more like a technical issue.

I've been playing on Vita but I'm guessing it's
chicken mode
which is mapped to L2/R2?
Dimension Swap is R2
and then chicken mode is L2 i believe.

L1/R1 is some sort of co-op function.

Number45

Yeah, I'm playing on Vita and I haven't had a single problem with the controls. I'd just like to be able to remove the dodge mapping from the right stick and that's it.

dsigns1

On this part now. Basically pure blind luck, soo lame. At least the tule tree portions take some skill to accomplish.
Circle and up+circle is your friend there. Jump to a platforming knowing its going to disappear then hit circle to pause enough til it comes back. Even using that tip it will require lots of practice.

zroid

Banned
I will say swiping on the touchscreen really irks me but I guess it's not like there was any better solution. *shrug*

God forbid they map it to the rear touch panel and force me to hold the system in a stupidly awkward position the whole time

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I want a Guacamelee sequel now.
no.. I have yet to beat the game.. just clearing all the side quests now..
I'm telling you I had serious troubles with my Guacemelee withdrawals this week. I downloaded Outland for the third time, still not feeling it. Thank for for La Mulana, I snatched that bitch right away. Totally games, with the similarities ending at them being 2D faux-metroidvanias, featuring platforming and puzzles. BUT it's hitting the spot just the same.

Number45

I will say swiping on the touchscreen really irks me but I guess it's not like there was any better solution. *shrug*

God forbid they map it to the rear touch panel and force me to hold the system in a stupidly awkward position the whole time
I'm drawing a blank here... do you need to use the touchscreen at all?

Number45

Ha ha, totally forgot about that. Oh well, I can only think of a few times you need to do it quickly. That said, allowing remap would have been perfect (because we have two button inputs for dodge at the moment).

Started on hard last night. It's quite hard.

ScOULaris

Picked this up yesterday after reading all of the positive impressions, and I'm so glad that I did! This is definitely a step above most other indie platformers in terms of polish, presentation, and just overall charm.

The brawling mechanics are responsive and intelligently implemented, the platforming is pretty crisp and delightfully tricky at times, the classic gaming references sprinkled throughout are awesome, and the art style is simply amazing. I can't commend the art and animation enough. It looks like Samurai Jack goes to Mexico, and it's animated beautifully.

I'm putting this up there with Rayman Origins as one of the best looking 2D games to come out this gen.

Servbot24

Banned
Played this for an hour yesterday. Looks absolutely fantastic and plays nearly as well so far. Can't wait to play more. :)

Most of the references are kind of stupid to me, especially the memes, but I guess that's down to personal taste.

Number45

Most of the references are kind of stupid to me, especially the memes, but I guess that's down to personal taste.
I glance at them once and after that point they melt into the background. I've missed most of the interesting references that have been brought up in here.

Holmes

Just beat the game and I'm about to play hard mode for the platinum. Does anyone have any tips? I know collecting as much heart and stamina pieces is important. The fights that gave me the most trouble in my normal playthrough were
Jaguar Javier
because he had no attack pattern at all, and rarely staggered when I hit him, and
Calaca first form
(although I realized in this battle that double jumping is better for dodging than rolling is).

FMbarbarian

Just got the platinum. This is easily my favorite game of the year so far. I love how each new power adds to the combat system and platforming.

Finally reached the portal at Sierra Morena but accidentally walked through the exit door instead of the portal and got dropped back outside, have to do the whole platforming section again, FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Finally reached the portal at Sierra Morena but accidentally walked through the exit door instead of the portal and got dropped back outside, have to do the whole platforming section again, FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

oh shiett. I wouldve probably given up on the game if I had to redo that section again.

I finished the game with 100% in 13 hours. Not sure why my playtime is so much longer than other peoples, I must suck alot haha.

oh shiett. I wouldve probably given up on the game if I had to redo that section again.

I finished the game with 100% in 13 hours. Not sure why my playtime is so much longer than other peoples, I must suck alot haha.
whew, got past it after another 20 minutes, I don't want to ever do that again but it was very intense and it's immensely satisfying once you get past it. I would say Tree Tops and Sierra Morena are equally challenging, but Sierra Morena is less stressful since you don't have to worry about your health, I almost died at the two sided spike wall at Tree Tops.

My playtime is 8 hours and 13 minutes right now, haven't beat the final boss yet, trying to 100% every part of the map before the final encounter. I'm going for platinum so still have a hard playthrough waiting.

Lawlzy

Neo Member
What on earth

Is that a reference to Booster from SMRPG? o_0

It is indeed! I was on the art team for Guac and that was something I personally slipped in haha. I'm happy people noticed it!

I don't think anyone's found the Donkey Kong Country nod I did (not the DK statue, something else), it's kinda vague. Look around the Tule Tree.

zroid

Banned
It is indeed! I was on the art team for Guac and that was something I personally slipped in haha. I'm happy people noticed it!

I don't think anyone's found the Donkey Kong Country nod I did (not the DK statue, something else), it's kinda vague. Look around the Tule Tree.

Well, you made my day! Fantastic work on the game in general, by the way. The art is consistently spectacular.

I'll keep an eye out for the DKC thing. :)

I did this the first time as well LOL! I felt like such a tool. In our defense I don't think those portals are very distinguishable, I mistook them for archways at first.

Lawlzy

Neo Member
Well, you made my day! Fantastic work on the game in general, by the way. The art is consistently spectacular.

I'll keep an eye out for the DKC thing. :)

Haha thanks a lot! :) The rest of the team did an awesome job, I'm really thankful I was able to be involved.

And RE: the kotaku article yeah the owl statues are based off the Majora's Mask ones actually. I love Majora's Mask a lot <_< heh

Top Bottom