• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Takiyah

Does anyone have any tips?

For me I found it easier when fighting
Jaguar Javier
in hard mode to
double jump
back and forth across the arena, just waiting for the perfect moment to go in. As for the end - I found patience was the key. Often I'd get close and try to burst down, resulting in death :( (maybe that's a tip for all video games...)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jaguar Javier
in hard mode to
double jump
back and forth across the arena, just waiting for the perfect moment to go in. As for the end - I found patience was the key. Often I'd get close and try to burst down, resulting in death :( (maybe that's a tip for all video games...)

The. Truth.

It took me an hour to beat him on normal last night... It's ALL ABOUT patience. He's going to do all of his bullshit, link it all together, dash dodge everything you throw at him, phase into the other realm.. and. he. won't. stop.

so you just have to bide your time, wait for the opportunity to jump in and tag him. once you get his shield down, make sure to get as many hits as you possibly can before being forced to jump/roll away.

craziest fight I've done in a long time. fast reflexes required ON TOP OF tons of patience and a bit of luck. heaven forbid he connects and then juggles you through your entire health bar...............

I literally cheered when I finally beat him.

Holmes

Jaguar Javier
in hard mode to
double jump
I got really tired of dying, so I went crazy and melee'd him a ton, and when he went flying, I rolled towards him a few times and punched him some more, and repeated. Probably got him down to half health this way before he recovered. Probably won't work on hard mode though. For the last boss, I only attacked him using the uppercut and the dashing derp. Slamming has too slow of a recovery time, imo, so the boss would quickly reappear and attack me by the time I got back on my feet.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Played a demo of this at a Vita station at ToysRUs. Love the art style, and combat. Reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Is there a PSN demo?

no demo, but between what you played at TRU and the glowing reviews and impressions youre getting here...I think you should just dive in.

remember a time when there weren't demos? whoa.

I did this the first time as well LOL! I felt like such a tool. In our defense I don't think those portals are very distinguishable, I mistook them for archways at first.
Oh no I saw the portal alright, but my OCD must-check-behind-every-door-before-the-final-objective syndrome kicked in and I had no control over myself when I entered the exit door, in my mind I was like "wait WTF did I just do!?", then my heart sank when I saw Juan got dropped back outside.

Haha thanks a lot! :) The rest of the team did an awesome job, I'm really thankful I was able to be involved.
Oh please sell some of the art from the game as prints. Loving every single tiny gaming and pop culture reference in the game, and the writer did a great job with the dialogue as well, silly but charming and hilarious at the same time, especially Goat Man's (edit: and Combo Chicken), I genuinely laughed out loud at some of his lines, hope to see more of him in the DLCs or any other future projects.

Cess007

Dunno, if this was already posted, but Drinkbox has confirmed that will be DLC for the game:

GuacameleeDLCConfirmation.jpg

Seems that somebody asked in the FB page and they confirmed it

Lawlzy

Neo Member
I like you.
We're friends now, united by Majora's Mask.

Since you're here, dlc plans?

Yes, there will be. I'm not sure myself what it will be anymore though, they may have come up with new ideas since I was there.

Oh please sell some of the art from the game as prints. Loving every single tiny gaming and pop culture reference in the game, and the writer did a great job with the dialogue as well, silly but charming and hilarious at the same time, especially Goat Man's (edit: and Combo Chicken), I genuinely laughed out loud at some of his lines, hope to see more of him in the DLCs or any other future projects.

I'll pass that idea on to the team, that would be cool!! Thanks :)

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for posting in the thread. Looking forward to picking up the DLC and I have a lot of faith it will be good. Artstyle was awesome as well - really fun but interesting atmosphere.

Having kept up with most of this thread I think it's one of the most uniform in opinions. Even the disagreements mostly come down to platforming/combat difficulties which usually resolve with practice since most of the really hard stuff wasn't necessary for completing the campaign. I appreciated the challenge and liked the way orbs were used for the extra puzzle platformers but less patient trophy whores might have been a bit more irritated. Otherwise I agree with Zeer0id, most gamers that consider it will love it.

I would mostly love more expansions on other aspects of the story with new levels etc but other than that new platforming puzzles and combat arenas! And hopefully ones that are replayable and easy to access.

I'm not sure if the cross-saving makes multiple save slots difficult/impossible but it would be appreciated I think - especially on Vita where you don't have multiple users and backing up a save file can be a hassle.

Thanks for posting in the thread. Looking forward to picking up the DLC and I'm have a lot of faith it will be good. Artstyle was awesome as well - really fun but interesting atmosphere.

Having kept up with most of this thread I think it's one of the most uniform in opinions. Even the disagreements mostly come down to platforming/combat difficulties which usually resolve with practice since most of the really hard stuff wasn't necessary for completing the campaign. I appreciated the challenge and liked the way orbs were used for the extra puzzle platformers but less patient trophy whores might have been a bit more irritated. Otherwise I agree with Zer0id, most gamers that consider it will love it.

We're still in the circlejerk phase, just wait a week or two, check out the Bioshock Infinite thread... ;)

In all seriousness, this is my GOTY for now, and I have played pretty much every big release this year. To a person who loves snappy controls and smooth framerate with high resolution crisp visuals this game pretty much can do no wrong for me. I platted it and it was the most enjoyable 10 hours of my recent gaming experiences.

theytookourjobz

Really fun game that reminds me a lot of Outland. Some of the combat can be a little frustrating though. When it throws a bunch of different enemies at you that all require different moves to shield break, I found myself dying often.

Miutsu

Guacamelee rules people, that is all.

... No, it isnt.

Looooove almost everything (or everything) about this game, visuals, controls, combat, music, right now I'm 100%ing every area before going to the final area.

Only thing it lacks are challenge rooms *wink* *wink*

Groof

My progress was slowed down quite a bit with my gf staying for the week, but I finally managed to get through the last bits on hard. Some of the final arenas were a bitch! And fighting Jaguar really took some patience, but it was well worth it.
Gonna give this a break for now and might go back later to do another finish it off by doing 100% on hard mode as well.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I'm also planning to come back to it after finishing on hard and getting platinum, played it pretty heavily last few days so just taking a break atm.

We're still in the circlejerk phase, just wait a week or two, check out the Bioshock Infinite thread... ;)

In all seriousness, this is my GOTY for now, and I have played pretty much every big release this year. To a person who loves snappy controls and smooth framerate with high resolution crisp visuals this game pretty much can do no wrong for me. I platted it and it was the most enjoyable 10 hours of my recent gaming experiences.

Still yet to enjoy Bioshock Infinite but definitely looking forward to it, glad it's holding up. Never been a big fan before but the artstyle and story of Infinity seems really appealing.

I also love the framerate and quality visuals as well as everything else, not yet platinumed the game but I am close and it will even be my first!

Groof

^ I'm also planning to come back to it after finishing on hard and getting platinum, played it pretty heavily last few days so just taking a break atm.

Had I not been forced to stop playing consistently I'd've probably gotten the platinum a couple of days ago. This game's so fun to play I can see myself going through it again just for fun. But I'll try to contain myself!

I'm at 93% in the Temple of War and I can't figure out what else I need to do. I don't see anything obvious on the map and I've walked the whole level twice now looking for blocks or chicken runs.

Holmes

Is it just me or does the game sometimes glitch in arenas? Sometimes I've entered some, the area closes off, but no enemies spawn. And just now, I finished one, and the area isn't unblocking and I'm pretty much stuck. Have to quit every time.

Skyzard

Banned
Is it just me or does the game sometimes glitch in arenas? Sometimes I've entered some, the area closes off, but no enemies spawn. And just now, I finished one, and the area isn't unblocking and I'm pretty much stuck. Have to quit every time.

Not just you, there is a bug with certain conditions - try exiting the game if it keeps happening, should work fine after.

Had I not been forced to stop playing consistently I'd've probably gotten the platinum a couple of days ago. This game's so fun to play I can see myself going through it again just for fun. But I'll try to contain myself!

Will be doing the same!

Kazzy

No, it's happened multiple times for me too. Which included an odd case where I was somehow teleported out of arena, and back through a portal. I still had to reset the game, seeing as the arena was still locked.

Ezi0

I got the platinum a few days ago. The game was a really great experience and getting 100% completion was really rewarding. Definitely worth some of the troubles you can face attaining it.

Dingotech

Yeah, I can't beat the final boss at all. :/

When he disappears use double jump with a slightly sideways movement to dodge his attack, then hit him with the special move that matches his shield. Just breaking his shield is enough to damage him till he changes forms.

When he changes just memorize the attack patterns and attack when he sits still. To dodge the blue fireballs use roll, for the sideways lava attack turn into a chicken, and for the fist slam double jump away from him.

Good luck

PaulloDEC

Yeah, I can't beat the final boss at all. :/

It seemed impossible when I first played it, but it really just takes time.
1) Ignore the falling debris. They won't hurt you, and they're more likely to get you in trouble if you try to throw them.

2) Take your time. It feels like you need to be frantic, but there's no timer, so relax.

3) Identify the telegraphs for each of the Boss attacks and focus 90% of your efforts on avoiding them.

• The vertical and diagonal lava attacks simply require you to stand in the middle of the screen.
• The massive horizontal lava attack demands you crouch, or switch to chicken-form.
• The ground-pound requires a double-jump.
• The series of three projectiles is probably the trickiest. My solution was to run to the left before they appear, and the moment they get close, roll right through them. Run left a little before the second set, roll through again. Run a little to the left a final time, roll through the last set.

4) Once the Boss has finished an attack, race in quickly for a single CIRCLE + DIRECTION move. If you feel like you're getting confident, throw in a few extra punches. Once you've done that, immediate reset your position to the centre of the screen, ready for the next attack.

Holmes

Holy balls, just defeated
Jaguar Javier
on hard mode on my third try. Simply dodge, find an opening, break his shield, then headbutt him as much as possible. He'll fly up and when he lands, headbutt him as soon as possible before he has a chance to recover. I was able to get rid of ~25% of his health every time. When his melee shield goes up, I tried hitting him and if he didn't stagger, I retreated. When his shield was finally down, headbutt for the win.

Now for the Great Temple, which I just flew through as a chicken on normal... time to actually do some platforming. :p

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Holy balls, just defeated
Jaguar Javier
on hard mode on my third try. Simply dodge, find an opening, break his shield, then headbutt him as much as possible. He'll fly up and when he lands, headbutt him as soon as possible before he has a chance to recover. I was able to get rid of ~25% of his health every time. When his melee shield goes up, I tried hitting him and if he didn't stagger, I retreated. When his shield was finally down, headbutt for the win.

Now for the Great Temple, which I just flew through as a chicken on normal... time to actually do some platforming. :p

Yup. That's what worked for me... 20 tries in on hard. Now on cheesy Calaca! Wheeee!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
i like how bad and good ending are the same pics, but with his mask and without the girl /vice versa. It's quite sad but awesome as well.

I'm at 93% in the Temple of War and I can't figure out what else I need to do. I don't see anything obvious on the map and I've walked the whole level twice now looking for blocks or chicken runs.
Cross reference your in-game map with this and see what area you haven't explored. Here's the trophy guide, the collectible guide section is at the bottom of the page, including description of every collectible for each area.

wilflare

I'm trying really hard not refer to any guides in my attempt to get 100% and platinum

I'm just left with the final boss on my first playthrough
trying to revisit some of the old areas to get power-ups and stuff

but i really feel like going to slap that final boss now

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Fellow Wrestlevanians, I am loving this. I've happily 100%'d the map without any help (apart from sort of half-seeing an un-spoilered post about what the switch in the forest does).

So, while being as non-spoilery as possible, could someone please help me out?

I've found 5 pieces of the mask. My 5th one was in Caverna del Pollo, and upon collecting it, the game gave me a hint: "You feel lighter".

No idea what this means (
doesn't seem to affect current gameplay
). The map says 100% so I'm assuming I just need to go and beat the final boss now... is there anything else I should do or am I fine to press on?

If there isn't an answer without spoiling anything cool, then don't worry about it. Thanks!

Fellow Wrestlevanians, I am loving this. I've happily 100%'d the map without any help (apart from sort of half-seeing an un-spoilered post about what the switch in the forest does).

So, while being as non-spoilery as possible, could someone please help me out?

I've found 5 pieces of the mask. My 5th one was in Caverna del Pollo, and upon collecting it, the game gave me a hint: "You feel lighter".

No idea what this means (
doesn't seem to affect current gameplay
). The map says 100% so I'm assuming I just need to go and beat the final boss now... is there anything else I should do or am I fine to press on?

If there isn't an answer without spoiling anything cool, then don't worry about it. Thanks!

Press on and enjoy the true ending.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Press on and enjoy the true ending.
Many thanks for the quick reply! Woo, roll on home time!

Edit: Aw geez, top of the page. Er, anyone on the fence about this game should really just get it.
A friend recommended I give it a look, and I was intrigued enough after seeing one trailer. Best impulse buy ever (especially at a tenner).
If you even somewhat enjoy Metroidvania style games, tight platforming, or satisfying 2D combat, you can't go wrong with this.

Also, I don't really care for a lot of the "meme humour" going on, but my funniest moment in the game by far is:
NO POWER

Genius. Never seen that "joke" in a game before, and now anything else that tries will just be in Guacamelee's shadow.

Apdiddy

Up to
Sierra Morena
and I'm just wondering: Did anyone else get frustrated with the rose vines that are throughout the game? It seems that even if you press L2/use right stick and you hit the rose vines in a certain way, instant knockback. Your character is supposed to turn blue if it's done right, but half the time, I get it right and still get knocked back. If you jump towards the rose vines while holding L2/using right stick, you still get knocked back. Not to mention that even hitting the rose vines while trying to do a special move
(double jump, uppercut, dashing falcon derp punch, etc.)
cancels out the move. It's sad that something as simple as that is making me like the game less and not really wanting to finish it.

If people are able to platinum/100% the game, then obviously it's not that big of a deal for them.

bh7812

Banned
I'm almost through the game, just before the final boss, it really is a great game, I'm pleasantly surprised. This was also my first experience with cross saves and that is one of the best concepts in a really long time! I didn't understand the big deal about it before this game but now I do. I get why people are starting to swear by cross saves. Play some on vita, continue on ps3 or vice versa. I would gladly have paid the 15 bucks regular price for it but the 11 bucks I got it for with plus was a steal. This is a great weekend game if you don't have lots of time to game lately. Nice, vivid colors, good controls and the music fits the source material like you'd expect. It's neither too easy or difficult. Even I've managed through it. But anyone still hesitating just buy it!

Top Bottom