• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Did anyone else get frustrated with the rose vines that are throughout the game? [-skip-]
I don't have a problem with rolling into the vines but had some difficulties with the vines in mid air on one of two occasions, but I found out that if you hold the L stick to the direction you're jumping toward while your press L2, you cover a further horizontal distance and you don't get knocked back in mid air.

Number45

Already up to Jaguar Javier on hard. He's pretty tricky, but I should be able to get him without too much fuss.

Once I start playing this game I can't stop until the battery is dead. I've taken the very rare step of starting a GOTY list (I never do this) and putting this on it.

Is this an actual Metroidvania or is the enthusiast press using that term incorrectly again?
Assuming the criteria is an action platformer where you open up new sections of the map by gaining new abilities (which you get from exploring/beating bosses) then it's a Metroidvania. There's more combat, but the structure of the game is spot on.

I don't have a problem with rolling into the vines but had some difficulties with the vines in mid air on one of two occasions, but I found out that if you hold the L stick to the direction you're jumping toward while your press L2, you cover a further horizontal distance and you don't get knocked back in mid air.
You also need to get the timing right so that you're invulnerable right the way through the vines. There are some secret areas that require you to cancel out of the dodge/roll immediately you're through the vines in order to make the jump (or other special move) and if you're even a fraction early you'll get knocked back. That requirement for absolute precision is one of my favourite parts of the game, I can't remember the last time I played a game that I felt so completely in control of.

Holmes

Platinumed this bad boy last night. I gotta admit, the
Jaguar Javier and Calaca
battles were a bit disappointing on hard. At least the two other bosses had some new moves up their sleeves, but the last two bosses were carbon copies of their normal mode versions, only they hit harder. Used the same strategy for the final boss as normal, only used melee again. Went down on my second try.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with that damn switch in the Forest >.<

NO HINTS! D:
Ha. If you find out without help, you'll be a god.

Holmes

Oh, and the yellow skeleton enemies are the WORST. Especially in that one arena at the beginning of the Great Temple on hard, where three spawn with the white melee shields. Then afterwards, four spawn each with different coloured shields. I would try to juggle them all so they couldn't retaliate, but one or more always seemed to evade me and screw me up by hitting me mid-combo. INFURIATING. Worse than Jaguar Javier.

OmahaG8

So, the cross save stuff is pretty neat. I have been playing on my vita and decided to try it on the ps3 last night. Worked like a charm.

Small problem. I was awful with the ds3. I had to go back to my vita, I actually prefer playing this on my vita compared to the big brother. Weird.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Platinumed this bad boy last night. I gotta admit, the
Jaguar Javier and Calaca
battles were a bit disappointing on hard. At least the two other bosses had some new moves up their sleeves, but the last two bosses were carbon copies of their normal mode versions, only they hit harder. Used the same strategy for the final boss as normal, only used melee again. Went down on my second try.

Ha. If you find out without help, you'll be a god.

figured this out eventually using fades in the map as a guide.

boutrosinit

Oh, and the yellow skeleton enemies are the WORST. Especially in that one arena at the beginning of the Great Temple on hard, where three spawn with the white melee shields. Then afterwards, four spawn each with different coloured shields. I would try to juggle them all so they couldn't retaliate, but one or more always seemed to evade me and screw me up by hitting me mid-combo. INFURIATING. Worse than Jaguar Javier.

Keep em in the air w power moves, then soon as you get the grab prompt, slam down, or suplex.

OnPoint

I spent an age looking around that area because of the fade, but still didn't put two and two together.

I eventually did the same thing, so I didn't figure it out right away. I actually
was looking before I had Goat Fly, and I thought the switch opened something up where you actually come out at the bottom, so I speed ran my way down there while the switch was running. I was ALMOST fast enough but never could quite reach it. Then when I got Goat Fly I could, but found that it didn't help. I gave up and was simply clearing black space with Goat Fly when I hit the block up top. Then I noticed the block space on the map and connected it. It pays to compulsively explore lol

Guevara

I spent a long time figuring out that switch on my own too!

It's the only switch in the whole game, right? Or am I forgetting something?

ScOULaris

Playing this game has reminded me what a great formula the Metroidvania style of game design is. It makes backtracking kind of fun somehow, since you can use your newly acquired abilities to discover new nooks and crannies.

And this is my surprise of the year thus far. I'm having a great time with it.

wilflare

I just beat... the game on Normal.
is there a New Game+ or something?
or am I supposed to start a New Game on Hard and just erase everything :/

zroid

Banned
Posted this in the Vita thread, but here it is again:

I finished Guacamelee, and I'm really happy with it. It's right up there with Dokuro and Super Stardust Delta for me. Seems appropriate that with Vita's digital initiatives and indie future, all my favourite Vita games are PSN only titles. Well, I guess Dokuro is technically retail too. :p

I won't be doing an immediate second run-though like most of you 'cause I want to play other stuff, but I'll give hard mode a shot later. I'll probably play it on PS3 though.

Mutant Blobs was a good game with some big problems (imo), and I'm just really happy to see that Drinkbox has come a long way since then. This is definitely one of the best titles on the PSN service.

Dartastic

Fellow Wrestlevanians, I am loving this. I've happily 100%'d the map without any help (apart from sort of half-seeing an un-spoilered post about what the switch in the forest does).

So, while being as non-spoilery as possible, could someone please help me out?

I've found 5 pieces of the mask. My 5th one was in Caverna del Pollo, and upon collecting it, the game gave me a hint: "You feel lighter".

No idea what this means (
doesn't seem to affect current gameplay
). The map says 100% so I'm assuming I just need to go and beat the final boss now... is there anything else I should do or am I fine to press on?

If there isn't an answer without spoiling anything cool, then don't worry about it. Thanks!
I'm not sure if I could do this before, but after I got all of those pieces I found that
I could fly as the chicken.

I also am about to beat the game, and I JUST now realized that pressing circle while grappling with someone will allow me to do a wrestling move. Doh. :/

Okay so I've been loving it thus far, just got to the Tree but can I just ask - am I the only one who freaking hates the dimension swap platforming? It's so fiddly and frustrating... the controls have been pitch perfect up until now but they just feel so finicky for this, makes me wish that stop slide on a wall was L2 rather than Triangle, makes button hopping so difficult.

boutrosinit

Okay so I've been loving it thus far, just got to the Tree but can I just ask - am I the only one who freaking hates the dimension swap platforming? It's so fiddly and frustrating... the controls have been pitch perfect up until now but they just feel so finicky for this, makes me wish that stop slide on a wall was L2 rather than Triangle, makes button hopping so difficult.

No. It does feel gratuitous at times. Most frustrating when enemy AI (bosses) do it mid-move.

zroid

Banned

It varies for me

Definitely the stuff where you have to jump from wall to wall trans-dimensionally can be annoying at times. Luckily you don't generally have to press triangle on a dime to cling to a wall because you stick to it for a second regardless, and even then you'll only slide down quite slowly. It's a lot easier (generally) once you get the double jump, as it increases air manoeuvrability a great deal more than the uppercut.

damidu

you are definitely not alone. the mid-jump ones are especially frustrating. i am actually stuck at one of those and dont have much motivation try further.

Noi

Fellow Wrestlevanians, I am loving this. I've happily 100%'d the map without any help (apart from sort of half-seeing an un-spoilered post about what the switch in the forest does).

So, while being as non-spoilery as possible, could someone please help me out?

I've found 5 pieces of the mask. My 5th one was in Caverna del Pollo, and upon collecting it, the game gave me a hint: "You feel lighter".

No idea what this means (
doesn't seem to affect current gameplay
).

Didn't see an answer to this so...

You feel lighter - Press X repeatedly while in chicken form.

Number45

Platinum get. Took me a total of about 16 hours all in, with lots of exploring and scratching my head but I'm proud the only thing I needed help to find was the
mask piece
in the forest. Preferred hard, even if some of the arenas are challenging (and to echo what has been said I had some bugs on the hard mode arenas, no issues at all on normal) almost to the point of frustration.

Currently my only contender for GOTY, and might just be my favourite Vita game overall.

Labadal

Beat my first boss battle, that was fun. Tried to fight in the Poll Cave or whatever it's called. Didn't manage to beat all stages. I'll give it a go when I have some more hitpoints.

Number45

Beat my first boss battle, that was fun. Tried to fight in the Poll Cave or whatever it's called. Didn't manage to beat all stages. I'll give it a go when I have some more hitpoints.
You might want to wait on that cave if you're not fully loaded on the abilities, some of the fights require all moves and can get pretty tricky.

Amory

Dude, temple of rain. There's a bridge where you have to switch between the dead and live worlds to get across, but the jump seems impossible. Am I missing something?

Dude, temple of rain. There's a bridge where you have to switch between the dead and live worlds to get across, but the jump seems impossible. Am I missing something?

Is it the one where there is a ceiling right above you? On that one you just have to keep running and switching as you run.

Amory

Is it the one where there is a ceiling right above you? On that one you just have to keep running and switching as you run.

Yeah I think so, this part

guacamelee_zps4d63a23e.gif

I'm rather stumped.

Amory

Been trying to barely fall off the edge of one side and uppercut through the switch and land on the other side

Top Bottom