• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Ocaso

Ha. If you find out without help, you'll be a god.

I found it without help. Tremble before my powers!

The game actually gives you more than enough hints to find that room without help:

First off, when you first reach the room in the lower west portion of the map you might notice the chicken-size tunnel in the ceiling (which also shows up on the map). This is a hint that there's a room above that.

The second hint would arrive either by accident or when you're scouring for chests. As part of the process of filling in the map while treasure hunting I was flying through that area by doing the Superman move from high points when I hit the floating block right above that room. Now, well-designed pathfinding/Metroidvania games don't waste space, so the fact that there was a block right in mid-air suggested that it was there specifically to halt your flight.

The next question would then be, is the block there to stop my flight so I can reach something below in time after hitting the switch?

One attempt to do that later and voila! Fifth mask piece get!

That deductive process is what I love most about this genre, and I'm happy to say Drinkbox really understood how important figuring those things out was, at least for the secrets. It was still there for the main game, but far simpler. Maybe a little too simple, really.

Skyzard

Banned
Truth is this game has easily enough playtime potential (especially for the cost, nearing about 15hours now in total and will definitely play again)- they were just smart in the way they were not forcing the (more) difficult sections on everyone.

zroid

Banned

The game actually gives you more than enough hints to find that room without help:

The exit tunnel was really getting on my nerves before I realized its true purpose, lol. Ultimately I didn't directly connect the dots that it was related to the switch.

What really gave it away was when I saw that tiny island conspicuously suspended in mid-air, and after realizing it lined up with one of the flat walls near the switch, the revelation was in-hand. At first I thought the spikes on the surface would recede when you pulled the switch, but when that didn't happen, I had a "HOLY SHIT" moment when I saw the statue beginning to re-cover the passageway as I dropped back down to the ground, thinking I had failed. I managed to get there in time on my next attempt. :p

Guevara

First off, when you first reach the room in the lower west portion of the map you might notice the chicken-size tunnel in the ceiling (which also shows up on the map). This is a hint that there's a room above that.

The second hint would arrive either by accident or when you're scouring for chests. As part of the process of filling in the map while treasure hunting I was flying through that area by doing the Superman move from high points when I hit the floating block right above that room. Now, well-designed pathfinding/Metroidvania games don't waste space, so the fact that there was a block right in mid-air suggested that it was there specifically to halt your flight.

The next question would then be, is the block there to stop my flight so I can reach something below in time after hitting the switch?

One attempt to do that later and voila! Fifth mask piece get!

That deductive process is what I love most about this genre, and I'm happy to say Drinkbox really understood how important figuring those things out was, at least for the secrets. It was still there for the main game, but far simpler. Maybe a little too simple, really.
I agree with all this, and there's also
the statues
. Which I this point I realized where always
by the mask bits.

zroid

Banned
So how fucking annoying is Treetops? On a scale of 1 - 10?

It's actually not that bad. But the first time I went there I didn't even have
goat fly
yet and that drove me mad.
Because by that point in the game it seemed as if once you could access a secret area it meant you had all the necessary abilities to get through it. I think I actually made it farther than I was "supposed to" have been able to without that ability, lol. But eventually it was impossible, and I spent way too long wracking my brain over it.

Hesemonni

Banned
It's actually not that bad. But the first time I went there I didn't even have
goat fly
yet and that drove me mad.
Because by that point in the game it seemed as if once you could access a secret area it meant you had all the necessary abilities to get through it. I think I actually made it farther than I was "supposed to" have been able to without that ability, lol. But eventually it was impossible, and I spent way too long wracking my brain over it.
I need to complain more. Because 5 min after I posted I managed to past the saw bit. What I didn't realize in the beginning that you can activate the
goat fly
and after that switch dimensions.
The disappearing platforms is where it at
Hear hear :p

zroid

Banned
The most difficult traversal section for me was in the final temple, actually. The one where you
have to manage the warps (and walls) with dimension swap while flying through the air in order to reach the other side of the hall
. It just confused the hell out of me. I think by the time I got past it I pretty much had no idea what I was doing; it was just muscle memory at that point.

Foshy

Have you done the Sierra area? Because by comparison, Treetops isn't a 10 by any stretch...

I found the Sierra area to be much easier than Tree Tops, but neither one was THAT hard. Challenging, sure, but not impossible by any stretch. Maybe I'm just really good at this /shrug

Guevara

I found the Sierra area to be much easier than Tree Tops, but neither one was THAT hard. Challenging, sure, but not impossible by any stretch. Maybe I'm just really good at this /shrug

It seemed like in both cases, once you figured out what you had to do it was straight forward.

Playing this game and helping my wife 3 star every level on 3D Mario Land cements my love for 2D platforming over 3D. 3D Platformwrs are so cheap to me because they always want you to jump with precision in a view hat doesn't lend itself well to that. So I end up jumping off edges unintentionally. And don't get me started on Mario not running and jumping when I want him to, and instead does this weak slow jump.

Viva la 2D platformers!!!

wouwie

Can't believe what just happened. I was not looking forward to beating the final boss (part 2) but then the game glitched and the boss just stood there doing nothing. All i had to do was throw things at it and break the shield now and again :) Phew

Anyway, best game i've played in 2013 so far. I'm not even a big fan of (combo based) fighting games but i loved this game. Excellent graphics, music and sound, smooth performance (frame rate,...), great flow (never got boring), excellent variety in gameplay (introducing new powers, platform/combat,..), awesome and challenging platform segments, fluid controls and just pure fun. Also, good length/value for money since i played for about 13 hours and haven't collected evverything yet.

Drinkbox Studios did a great job once again. This game is going to be present in my GOTY2013 list.

zroid

Banned
The final boss part 2 seemed oddly luck-based. Like, it just depended on how often he repaired his shield and used specific moves. The first two times he was a bitch and I died, and on the third he was a pushover basically.

wilflare

The final boss part 2 seemed oddly luck-based. Like, it just depended on how often he repaired his shield and used specific moves. The first two times he was a bitch and I died, and on the third he was a pushover basically.

hmm... he's very predictable though
it's more of not being ambitious and not trying to get too many hits in.. and slowly wearing him down.

there were wayyy more frustrating boss/arena fights. (arena fights esp)

hmm... he's very predictable though
it's more of not being ambitious and not trying to get too many hits in.. and slowly wearing him down.

there were wayyy more frustrating boss/arena fights. (arena fights esp)

Yep final form of the final boss is the most predictable boss in the whole game.

Noi

He's a huge pushover in general. Once you learn what the tells are for his slow, easilly dodgeable attacks, even Part 1 becones harder to beat by virtue of his quick, mid-range fire attack.

Gorillaz

since everyone been hyping up this game I figured to look at a few reviews of it.

Damn it looks like it has alot of charm buying it right now

Servbot24

Banned
Just beat it 100%, absolutely loved it. Took me 8 hours (does the game count pauses? i took an hour break at one point), and I plan to go back in on Hard mode. :)

Skyzard

Banned
Just beat it 100%, absolutely loved it. Took me 8 hours (does the game count pauses? i took an hour break at one point), and I plan to go back in on Hard mode. :)

I don't think it counts when you look at the map, not sure about pauses though it wouldn't be hard to check. Decent playtime overall though, hard mode can be a bitch so be warned! :)

zroid

Banned

about the same as me. 8 hours for a 100% normal run

wasted a lot of time at a couple parts, lol

Servbot24

Banned
The fights were all pretty easy except when they just dumped tons of enemies on you at once, which is what I assume hard mode will be. :( The platforming was the main challenge of the game. I stupidly got used to the joystick instead of the d-pad, and would so often mess up the wall run vs the flying move, which made Tree Top hell, lol

Artemisia

Banned
I just wandered in here and omg this game looks amazing

I don't have access to a ps3 at school, so I'll probably buy this during the summer.

zroid

Banned
Speaking of stick vs. d-pad, that was one of those little things which bugged me. I preferred to use the d-pad for everything pretty much, except when you're brawling and the stick basically becomes a necessity to aim your throws. I had to train myself to use the stick during fights, while continuing with the superior d-pad for everything else. :J

VanWinkle

Speaking of stick vs. d-pad, that was one of those little things which bugged me. I preferred to use the d-pad for everything pretty much, except when you're brawling and the stick basically becomes a necessity to aim your throws. I had to train myself to use the stick during fights, while continuing with the superior d-pad for everything else. :J

I only used the sticks with those cacti.

zroid

Banned
The cacti were kind of when I first realized "oh god I need to do this don't I?", but fully analogue aiming is pretty important, especially for crowd control. Eventually I just went all-out analogue in combat situations.

Aleph

Finally figured out what the switch in the Forest was for. Took me a while.

I also started a new game in hard mode, I'm trying to use more the D-pad instead of the analog in fights (It gives you tighter move control, but throwing aim is more limited)

OnPoint

The cacti were kind of when I first realized "oh god I need to do this don't I?", but fully analogue aiming is pretty important, especially for crowd control. Eventually I just went all-out analogue in combat situations.

I would just jump and catch the items to toss back, that way you didn't have to aim anything

Leezard

I actually think he's way easier if you stick close to him, due to it being easier to see his telegraphed attacks.

Number45

I actually think he's way easier if you stick close to him, due to it being easier to see his telegraphed attacks.
Yup. I did him on hard going for the melee only trophy and only went for distance when it was needed - probably had less trouble than using the projectiles on normal.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Yeah it was quite fun to do for me, even better when there were low-level enemies nearby and you could chuck them into a few cacti.

Actually, you're fine on d-pad as the aim auto adjusts a few degrees to throw the grenades at the nearest cactus to your pointed direction.

wilflare

having some trouble beating X'tabay :-(

once she gets to where she
has two of her attacking me at once I always die

>_<

hmm try not to be too ambitious with getting hits in. bid your time. steal one or two hits. then avoid her. repeat (works for most bosses)

graywolf323

This game is difficult for me. I was fine with Metroidvania games growing up. Now, 26, maybe I'm just rusty.

26 here as well and I think the game is just difficult, nothing to do with rust

I do find the story really interesting though so I'm pressing on but I have no desire to tackle hard mode or whatever or even probably play through a second time

wilflare

This game is difficult for me. I was fine with Metroidvania games growing up. Now, 26, maybe I'm just rusty.

26 here as well and I think the game is just difficult, nothing to do with rust

I do find the story really interesting though so I'm pressing on but I have no desire to tackle hard mode or whatever or even probably play through a second time

after that first boss.. things get better (since you are probably more warmed up to the mechanics by now)

I took some tries with her as well but it did get better from that point on.

like those yellow enemies, annoying right?
I just keep uppercutting them in the air until they are destroyed (Up + Square)

or spend some time with Poncho at Santa.. something Town.
they get you warmed up pretty nicely

getting through the game relies on quite a bit of observing and understanding enemy patterns and trying to immobilise them

keep playing :D it's worth it, one of the most satisfying games I've played 2012 and 2013 :D

oni_saru

Finally beat the Jaguar. i admit to playing co-op to defeat him. got most of the places at 100% completion. i'm stuck at this one section at the last temple where there are portals. i'll probably figure it out tomorrow.

also i discovered the platforming section with the disappearing platforms. :'D haha fuck that noise!!! i'll settle with beating the final boss.

Servbot24

Banned
Just beat X'tabay on hard, took a few tries but wasn't overwhelmingly difficult. So far hard mode isn't too bad, but I know the worst is very much yet to come :<

Duffyside

Banned
Well, Tree Tops was damn sure rewarding. Some really challenging platforming. Was very frustrated with the final leg of it, even died even with utilizing all the barrels, and was as mad as could be there weren't save points for each section (there still should be). But I then ripped through everything in nearly my first try upon my respawn. Joke at the end of Tree Tops was legitimately funny, in a "you're lucky I don't punch you in the face" sort of way.

For this area and a couple before it, I've been just delaying going to the final area, doing some cleanup. I didn't even know there were orbs to collect until now. Pretty set on trying to get them all before finishing. I have three now, and have no idea where the others are.

I thought the color-coded blocks were way too simple, but man do I wish there were more of them now. I have like 72% complete on the Forest, and I have NO IDEA what else there is to discover in this area.

Top Bottom