• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Number45

I thought the color-coded blocks were way too simple, but man do I wish there were more of them now. I have like 72% complete on the Forest, and I have NO IDEA what else there is to discover in this area.
I won't give too much away, but the forest is home to the best hidden area in the game (by far) and I'm pretty sure I recall there being a quest in there as well so check in the buildings.

Leunam

Didn't know this game existed until I saw this OT. Love the combat, love the art and just really enjoying everything about this game so far (2 hours in).

Duffyside

Banned
Huh, nevermind. The Forest wasn't as obtuse as I thought. I was looking at the map and seeing no clear color-coded areas left, nor little tunnels obviously meant for chickens. But just running through every area again and trying to push the limits of what was in front of me was enough. Only took about 20 minutes of cleanup to get 100%.

Love getting orbs. Hope the payoff is enjoyable.

Getting all of the orbs kind of breaks the game in some parts. All you need to do is turn into a chicken and fly around the last fortress and you can sidestep most of the harder platforming sections.

Not that I am complaining, because there was one portal section that I still have no idea how you'd get past it.

Servbot24

Banned
Think I found a bug. I unlocked a stamina chest, and while the piece was doing its floating animation, I accidentally rolled into a new room. I didn't get the stamina piece and the chest is gone. :(

Servbot24

Banned
Ok, it's really bugging out on me now. I no longer get flashing backgrounds when I get power-ups, and Juan occasionally will go into his stand pose as if a cutscene is about to start, but nothing happens and I'm forced to restart. Bummer. :/

Did just beat Jaguar though, the combat in this game is quite satisfying. :)

Getting all of the orbs kind of breaks the game in some parts. All you need to do is turn into a chicken and fly around the last fortress and you can sidestep most of the harder platforming sections.

Not that I am complaining, because there was one portal section that I still have no idea how you'd get past it.
You only need 5/6 to do that, right? Because
the last orb drops from the final boss
. I actually never knew what I could do until after I beat the game, even though I evidently had the ability the whole time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, actually, about that: a couple of people on here were kind enough to tell me what getting 5/6 orbs does when I was stumped, but I'd already moved onto my Hard playthrough before I could try it out.

Will I have to get them again on Hard?
And is it worth it, or is it just considered a gimmick?

dock

I've decided to pass on this because of all the video-game references.
This type of thing tends to really piss me off. It's pandering, like a bad webcomic.

Glad to hear it plays well though. Maybe I'll check out their next game.

Number45

You need to get them again. You don't need the power at all (in fact by the time you have it, you'll have completed most of the hard sections in the game), but it makes exploring a lot easier if you're still trying to get the last few chests.

This type of thing tends to really piss me off. It's pandering, like a bad webcomic.

At no point are these shoved in your face. I played through the game without paying a great deal of attention to them at all, but they add a little flavour for those that are interested.

I'm on my hard run and I can't for the life of me find the final chest in Desierto Caldecote. It's so annoying as I did it on my first run. Does anyone have a guide? Thanks

dock

At no point are these shoved in your face. I played through the game without paying a great deal of attention to them at all, but they add a little flavour for those that are interested.

Nevertheless, it's a like a delicious meal with a garnish of cat puke.

Zemm

Played about 2 hours of this game, it really is very good. Just set it up so I can use my vita to control the PS3 version with a map on the Vita screen, AMAZING.

OSHAN

Have they patched the sound? For whatever reason, punches and what have you are regulated to my rear channels, which is really distracting while playing. I had to switch to 2 channel.

This has the be the worst excuse for not playing a great game. Are those references needed in the game? No. Are they distracting or forced? Absolutely not.

You're missing out on one of the best games of the year for a terrible reason. It's as ridiculous as someone not playing Bioshock Infinite because of a baptisim scene.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I honestly didn't even notice the references until someone pointed them out to me, but then I really wasn't looking or caring about anything other than actual playing.

Servbot24

Banned
Got stuck on Javier not gone back to it yet. Was pissing me off too much!

Keep trying, it's just a matter of learning to read the patterns.

I just platinum'd this game, which is my first ever platinum trophy! My Normal run-through took 8 hours while Hard took a little over 6 hours (getting 100% both times). All the practice I got from the first play-through overcompensated for the next one I think, and of course the platforming sections were much easier on the second try. Usually if you roll liberally and don't shy away from using power moves you'll be fine.

rbanke

I'm in the tree tops and I have to put it down again because these fights are too damn frustrating. I really love everything about this game except the combat which i find to be really tedious.

Wonko_C

What? The combat is the best in a game of this genre. You can pull off huge combos, mix grapples and style like crazy, in an almost 2D Devil May Cry fashion. Just now I was playing on hard and pulled out a 360 hit combo and earned a trophy, and I wasn't even looking for it. The only other game that comes close to this is Dust: An Elysian Tail.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You need to get them again. You don't need the power at all (in fact by the time you have it, you'll have completed most of the hard sections in the game), but it makes exploring a lot easier if you're still trying to get the last few chests.

Thanks! I did 100% it before, but there were a couple of places I was curious about... maybe I'll do it all again on Hard mode just for speed-funs!

Like people have said, you're really missing out. I don't really care for "meme" referencing either, and some of the dialogue flew over my head, but a lot of it is genuinely funny without referencing anything, and the billboards and more subtle stuff dotted throughout the world are great.

Can't argue that. Basically the reason I've never touched Bayonetta.

mqdefault.jpg

Why would you say that...?

rbanke

What? The combat is the best in a game of this genre. You can pull off huge combos, mix grapples and style like crazy, in an almost 2D Devil May Cry fashion. Just now I was playing on hard and pulled out a 360 hit combo and earned a trophy, and I wasn't even looking for it. The only other game that comes close to this is Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Are you playing it on the Vita or PS3? I've been playing it on the Vita and I'm finding the controls to be a drag. I should try it on the PS3 I suppose.

It's up there for sure. The roll cancel in particular makes the game alot more fun and is useful in tougher arenas and bossfights. For example against Calaca
when he puts up the red shield if you do the uppercut and immediately press L2, you cancel into the air "dodge" while extremely close to the ground so you can get away from his incoming dive bomb or whatever it's called
. Obviously it also allows you to roll-cancel specials into another etc too. It's just really satisfying all-round.

I will say that the bossfights aren't a patch on Outland's though, which has some of the best in the 2D space this gen. But if you're a fan of one you definitely need to play the other. Great pair of games.

Finished this up over the weekend with the alternate ending after getting all of the orbs.

I didn't find any of the boss battles to be overly difficult but the disappearing platform area in Seirra Morena and the climb up to the top of the Tule tree were FUUUUUUUUUUUUU! inducing. Tough as nails but satisfying as hell once completed. Loved it overall.

Finished it up this morning. Got 100% in about 9:45 I think.

I loved pretty much everything about this game and found it to be the perfect amount of challenging while also being hilarious. Game of the year for me and I'll be finishing a hard play through soon :)

I thought the toughest challenge was probably the tree tops. The disappearing platforms I ran through this morning and while they were indeed annoying I think I finished them after 7-10 tries or so.

I died once on the 2nd pollo challenge rooms, but breezed through the third. I didn't find the last boss to be particularly obnoxious either. I was expecting much worse based on some of the comments in this thread.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
So, I just buy this on PS3 and it gets automatically added to my Vita too?

it should get added to you account, so if you go on your vita and try to buy the option will be to download instead...

i havent done this as i bought through my vita, but thats how it should work.

graywolf323

I'm in the tree tops and I have to put it down again because these fights are too damn frustrating. I really love everything about this game except the combat which i find to be really tedious.

I really hate the enemies having a barrier thing they introduced

I'm stuck in the forest. Supposed to go to Santa Luchia. Reached the small house with the goat man and there is an arrow pointing to a question mark on the map but I can't get there.

Edit: figured it out.

Number45

I'm stuck at 93% for Desierto Caliente! Where the hell is the last 7% hiding?
I had this exact problem on my normal playthrough. In the end I just started over on hard, and I got 100% on that time and I honestly don't think I found anything extra.

There's an area at the bottom that's hidden by a blue barrier which I think might be bugged, but I can't necessarily back that up.

Hanmik

damn this game... damn it...

I´m just missing two orbs for a platinum.. the tree top one, and the vanishing platforms one...

Last night I made it all the way to the last section of the treetop, but fuck me sideways, just couldn´t get past the buzz-saws.. arghhhh turned off the consoleonce I ran out of energ and had to start at the bottom again... argh...

Number45

How is this from a single player only perspective? Really itching to get it.
Perfect. To be honest I'm not sure what co-op would add to the game.

I´m just missing two orbs for a platinum.. the tree top one, and the vanishing platforms one...

Last night I made it all the way to the last section of the treetop, but fuck me sideways, just couldn´t get past the buzz-saws.. arghhhh turned off the consoleonce I ran out of energ and had to start at the bottom again... argh...
What are you using for that section? Goat fly makes it an absolute doddle - easiest section of Tree Tops by far.

Hanmik

Perfect. To be honest I'm not sure what co-op would add to the game.

What are you using for that section? Goat fly makes it an absolute doddle - easiest section of Tree Tops by far.

I tried double jump (saw a video on youtube with that trick.) Didn´t work for me, so tried goat fly.. but was to low on energy so I died after 2 tries..

shink

I just can't beat the last boss. He's too quick for my slow reaction times. I know it took me at least 10 tries to beat the Jaguar but I can't even get this guy to half.

Why would you put yourself through that!!? I too got stuck mid levels at Tree Top and felt like quitting, but I just left it on and came back to it after dinner and proceeded to complete it very quickly, sometimes you just need a break.

The buzz saw section is incredibly easy if you stick with using dimension shift + jump, so R2 + X at the same time then Triangle to stick to the walls, that's basically all you do for the entire section, sometimes you have to let yourself slide down a bit before you jump so that you don't get caught by the buzz saw, but it's a lot easier than you think, don't give up!!

I just can't beat the last boss. He's too quick for my slow reaction times. I know it took me at least 10 tries to beat the Jaguar but I can't even get this guy to half.
A fool-proof method I used for my Hard playthrough against the last boss is don't wait till he appears to dodge his attack, just time how long it takes for him to disappear and reappear, keep count in your head, one-two or one-two-three then double jump to the left or right, you will dodge successfully 9 out of 10 times if not every time.

I think since I's wrapping up Sly 4 its time to go back to Guacamelee and do a hard run. Where is everyone getting their trophy at for doing all the moves without touching the ground. This one seems the most difficult at this point.

Finished this last night, what a great game!

Jaguar was a tough cookie, got mindf**ked after my first attempt against the last boss and spent about 15mins getting owned repeatedly. Diagonal double-jump was the key to victory in the end.

Highly recommend this game.

Top Bottom