• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

NEO0MJ

I'm at
The secret area behind a door in the sierra (the ice place where you get goat fly) where you have to navigate the disappearing platforms
so very difficult.

Number45

I think since I's wrapping up Sly 4 its time to go back to Guacamelee and do a hard run. Where is everyone getting their trophy at for doing all the moves without touching the ground. This one seems the most difficult at this point.
I did it in the first chamber of the last (rightmost) column in Pollo Caverns. You have a small chamber with a huge hammer dude with a white shield, it's perfect for that trophy.

I did it in the first chamber of the last (rightmost) column in Pollo Caverns. You have a small chamber with a huge hammer dude with a white shield, it's perfect for that trophy.

Pretty sure there is one of those guys at the very beginning of the last temple as well, right after you fly across that huge gap.

That was exactly the enemy type I did it on though. Just upper cut them into a wall and then attempt it. He has a large hit box and the shield keeps him alive.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I think since I's wrapping up Sly 4 its time to go back to Guacamelee and do a hard run. Where is everyone getting their trophy at for doing all the moves without touching the ground. This one seems the most difficult at this point.

Most "battle" rooms, as they commonly have even walls and are tightly spaced. But you'll need all 6 special moves.

explodet

Co-op combat is awesome.
Co-op platforming is worse than Hitler's brain in the body of a great white shark.
(once we learned to have one player quickly drop out it wasn't so bad)

NEO0MJ

I HATE THAT PLACE!
Last orb I need to get too.

Cleared it.
Takes a lot of good memorization and making the best of your spacial moves, even the headbutt to pause in the air until you find a good platform.

I found the Tree Tops to be a lot more annoying. Just do double jumps and uppercuts.

That place was hell.
I was terrified when the giant chicken said I was halfway.

Also where are the remaining orbs located? I found these:

The one in the Sierra with the platforms

The one in the maze

The one in the treetop

The one after the challenge rooms in the mine

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game is fucking great.

It feels so crisp that even the most basic traversal never feels like it's just a means to an end. I also haven't enjoyed platforming in a game in forever, but the way the special moves are integrated into everything really works for me. The hardest challenges in the game are actually hard, but I never felt like I wasn't making enough progress through practice.

When I saw videos of the game's combat, I was worried that it would be the weak link. I didn't like the way the throw looked, in particular, and was worried it would be central to everything. Turns out the combat feels great too and allows for a lot of improvisation, and on hard difficulty it's essential to master various ways of juggling and canceling out of recovery frames.

The aesthetic is generally delightful, and even the smattering of memes in the towns was reasonably underplayed. If you are avoiding this game because you heard it has internet jokes in it and you are simply way too good for that, please reconsider your priorities. The game has a ton of charm beyond simple reference humor.

I finished my first playthrough in one day, which I haven't done in years for a game like this. The pacing is breakneck and there's always an optional area/challenge nearby to get some money or power-ups. Basically, I was never bored and that really impressed me. I'm almost done with my Hard playthrough now, most of which, again, I did in a single afternoon.

Most "battle" rooms, as they commonly have even walls and are tightly spaced. But you'll need all 6 special moves.

I take it the
goat run and goat fly
are two of the special moves?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This game is fucking great.

It feels so crisp that even the most basic traversal never feels like it's just a means to an end. I also haven't enjoyed platforming in a game in forever, but the way the special moves are integrated into everything really works for me. The hardest challenges in the game are actually hard, but I never felt like I wasn't making enough progress through practice.

When I saw videos of the game's combat, I was worried that it would be the weak link. I didn't like the way the throw looked, in particular, and was worried it would be central to everything. Turns out the combat feels great too and allows for a lot of improvisation, and on hard difficulty it's essential to master various ways of juggling and canceling out of recovery frames.

The aesthetic is generally delightful, and even the smattering of memes in the towns was reasonably underplayed. If you are avoiding this game because you heard it has internet jokes in it and you are simply way too good for that, please reconsider your priorities. The game has a ton of charm beyond simple reference humor.

I finished my first playthrough in one day, which I haven't done in years for a game like this. The pacing is breakneck and there's always an optional area/challenge nearby to get some money or power-ups. Basically, I was never bored and that really impressed me. I'm almost done with my Hard playthrough now, most of which, again, I did in a single afternoon.

I take it the
goat run and goat fly
are two of the special moves?

Yup

Servbot24

Banned
I did it in a chamber in the final area where you fight a whole bunch of those little jumping trolls. They have shields and there's a bunch of them, so they're easy to hit without killing off too soon.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Really enjoying this game so far, top three GOTY stuff. Loving absolutely everything. Great and challening platforming, suprisingly deep combat, delightfull athmosphere, Manny Calavera...

I'm now an official Drinkbox fan. Can't wait to see what this studio's going to do next. :)
Halfway through the Temple of War.

Beckx

Looks like I have the same problem as a few other people in this thread, but haven't seen an answer yet:

I'm at 93% in Desierto Caliente, and can't find the final chest. I've been thinking that maybe there's a chicken path at the very top right, so I've been trying to fly there from the highest point on the map, but haven't been sucessful.

Anyone have any help/suggestions for clearing this?

Anyone have any help/suggestions for clearing this?

It's probably either a chicken access point in the lower parts or climbing the platforms initially blocked by cacti. There's also that part with the red vines that you initially platform through as the chicken that has a block you have to destroy (a blue I think) in the upper left portion of that area.

Beckx

It's probably either a chicken access point in the lower parts or climbing the platforms initially blocked by cacti. There's also that part with the red vines that you initially platform through as the chicken that has a block you have to destroy (a blue I think) in the upper left portion of that area.

Yeah, found it, it was a chicken point in the lower middle area. All other areas 100%, time to head to the final boss.

Dawg

Dang, I was about to buy this a couple of days ago, but I decided to wait.

And now the PS+ discount is gone ;_;

Tizoc

OH GOD THE DISAPPEARING BLOCKS!

The Tule Tree secret area gave me a good laugh
"You're half way there!"

Will try to get the remaining orbs tomorrow >_<

Skyzard

Banned
It's cool that co-op is an option, but some of the platforming is so demanding, and the combat is so nicely tuned for one player, that I have to imagine playing alone may be a superior experience for the most part.

This seems reasonable to assume - haven't played co-op either yet, not that bothered but wouldn't mind, game is excellent in SP though.

Nearly passed up this game, but used my PSN credit on it while it was on sale, and played through. Really fantastic, and genuinely funny in spots without trying too hard.
NO POWER

Cleared it.
Takes a lot of good memorization and making the best of your spacial moves, even the headbutt to pause in the air until you find a good platform.

Something I learned...
the platforms are timed so that a spaced-out double jump performed just before they disappear, even technically a little after since you get leeway, is long enough for the platform to reappear under you. Keep track of the timing in your head, and you can indefinitely stay in one spot as you plan your moves. So you know if you're jumping to a platform synced with yours, double-jump for it as it disappears and you'll land in sync with it reappearing. Use uppercuts to adjust your landing, but those can desync your timing, so you'll have to account for that. If it's the opposite set, jump for it while your platform is still visible, then take a moment to sync yourself with that set of platforms.

Once you get the timing down, it goes relatively smoothly. The only tricky thing is if you accidentally land on an above platform you don't intend to, and your timing gets screwed up.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
How is this from a single player only perspective? Really itching to get it.

I fully plan on co-oping with a friend... but I will have 100%'d it twice by that time.

Does that sound like an okay perspective?

That's exactly what I did! Great minds, eh?

Perfect. To be honest I'm not sure what co-op would add to the game.

It's cool that co-op is an option, but some of the platforming is so demanding, and the combat is so nicely tuned for one player, that I have to imagine playing alone may be a superior experience for the most part.

I fully plan on co-oping with a friend... but I will have 100%'d it twice by that time.

Does that sound like an okay perspective?

Sounds like I'll have a few bucks deducted from my account. Thanks! I've been needing a metroidvania for a long time.

Aleph

Played in hard mode all the way up to the checkpoint right before
the Calaca fight
. Now to get those Orbs...

scurker

Beat the game again on hard for platinum. I didn't 100% everything so got to see the "sad" ending for the first time.
I think I kind of like the sad ending better.

Also the secret area in Tule Tree
was a lot easier the second time around. I think I got hit by the saws a couple of times, but it only took me 3-4 minutes to get to the top instead of 30.

I know it's a probably little early to be calling it, but this is definitely my game of the year so far. Definitely the most fun (and challenge) I've had from a game in a long time.

Reading through this thread I can't believe people have problems defeating Javier Jaguar. Beat him on my 2nd try and hardly even broke a sweat.

hvzero

I'm stuck at 93% for Desierto Caliente! Where the hell is the last 7% hiding?

I had this exact problem on my normal playthrough. In the end I just started over on hard, and I got 100% on that time and I honestly don't think I found anything extra.

There's an area at the bottom that's hidden by a blue barrier which I think might be bugged, but I can't necessarily back that up.

I'm having the same issue, shit is frustrating. So is this potentially a bug? I saw the same blue barrier reappear when I was combing the map looking for the last 7%.

Number45

Damn, this game is hard. Really hard.
I found that initially, but you'll get used to the combat and platforming moves and it'll all seem fairly straightforward sooner or later. My hard playthrough was easier (including the fights and tricky platforming bits) than the normla one.

I found that initially, but you'll get used to the combat and platforming moves and it'll all seem fairly straightforward sooner or later. My hard playthrough was easier (including the fights and tricky platforming bits) than the normla one.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I'm having a hard time platforming by switching dimensions, but I'm sure I'l get used to it.

Wunder

This game finally appeared in the SEA PSN store and I picked it up yesterday. Played it for like 5 hours and now my left thumb hurts from all the combos. This game is sick!

Hanmik

Finally platinumed it yesterday. Not so hard once you find some simple tricks that help you with the hard platforming parts. Like double jumping and then press O to headbutt on the vanishing platforms section.

Ohh and I platinumed it only playing on my Vita.. So my 38 years old hands still have some life left in them.

This game finally appeared in the SEA PSN store and I picked it up yesterday. Played it for like 5 hours and now my left thumb hurts from all the combos. This game is sick!
Whoa that's a pretty long wait, which SEA PS store do you go to? The game's been out since the 16th April in the Hong Kong PS Store. I asked Drinkbox on their facebook page and they replied 18th April for South Korea and 16th for the rest of Asia except Japan.

Wunder

Whoa that's a pretty long wait, which SEA PS store do you go to? The game's been out since the 16th April in the Hong Kong PS Store. I asked Drinkbox on their facebook page and they replied 18th April for South Korea and 16th for the rest of Asia except Japan.

Not sure, the PSN store was so hard to navigate I messaged them on twitter and they said sometime before the end of April, so I'm happy enough. That being said my hype was killed during the wait, but the game was great!

Famassu

Platinumed on Vita last night. I agree that the game was almost easier on Hard than on Normal. That animal-dude gave me some trouble but I never felt he was cheap or anything, I just lacked the patience to REALLY focus on being on the edge the whole fight and as I got his HP low I often started screwing up too much. When I did beat him (after a dozen or so tries), it felt relatively easy. The first form of the final boss was somewhat annoying, but once I noticed you should not just run and dodge-roll but jump as well to have a higher chance of evading the bosses attack, he became quite easy as well. The final final boss was easy, though I did try a couple of times before I started remembering that I should crouch when the boss pulled back for that fire-breath attack.

I dunno, I feel like an aggressive approach was best for everything, kind of like in Bayonetta. You have this almost-good-for-everything dodge-move so just keep close to enemies and just punch & kick & wrestle your way to victory while keeping sure that you dodge whatever attacks come your way. Whenever I tried to be cautious, it felt like I wasn't fully in control of the situation, like I was more in the mercy of the enemy (though, being overly aggressive was a bit chaotic at times too).

I'm stuck at 93% in desierto caliente and just broke a blue block with nothing behind. Is this a stupid glitch? I'm this close to giving up on a 100% run.

Moofers

This will be one of my top 5 games this year, I just know it. I've fallen so in love with it, I can't see enough games at this level coming out to bump it down.

The soundtrack is super SUPER addictive. I'm humming it all day every day. The living world versions are so bright and cheerful, and then the dead versions can be so sad and haunting. For whatever reason, the little girl with the luchador doll kind of bums me out.

Love the references. They don't beat you over the head with them, really. People are over-reacting and being too cool for school about this shit. Its charming and not at all the focus of the game.

Combat is awesome. Scratches that Capcom fighting game itch and makes you feel really powerful when you wipe out like 6 enemies at once with your power move combos. Feels tight which is especially important for a system like this as well.

I've got like 70% of the trophies now and I'm thinking about going for all 100% just because its kind of been fun hunting them down. Normally I'm not a trophy hound at all, but its like a reason to keep coming back after the 9 hours I've got in so far.

Really love this game. I hope it sells a ton because it surely deserves to. One of the best digital-only games of the entire generation and surely one of the top games of the year.

EasyMode

I'm stuck at 93% in desierto caliente and just broke a blue block with nothing behind. Is this a stupid glitch? I'm this close to giving up on a 100% run.

I also found nothing when I broke that block, but was still able to get 100%. I think the last few % for me was an overlooked chicken tunnel underground.

NEO0MJ

This will be one of my top 5 games this year, I just know it. I've fallen so in love with it, I can't see enough games at this level coming out to bump it down.

Isn't it a bit too early to make that claim? But yeah, this game is amazing. Great year so far for gaming.

I finally 100%ed the game last night Platinum. Feels good man.
It's officially my GOTY.

I found hard mode to challenge your badguy management, forcing you to isolate the most annoying badguy on screen (weather it is a projectile thrower or the most dangerous one)

I had multiple retries vs Javier on hard.
Basically try not to retaliate against him when you dodge his horizontal charge move.
Instead, wait for him to do his jump splash damage attack and double jump to avoid damage then attack him when he has the pause frame with his stick to the ground and attack according to the color.

Top Bottom