• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Enough people have had that problem (including myself) that I think it might be bugged.

I also found nothing when I broke that block, but was still able to get 100%. I think the last few % for me was an overlooked chicken tunnel underground.
It turned out I was missing a chicken tunnel too, so yeah, I got 100% completion in that zone.
That said, there is obviously a glitch, which is the respawning blue block itself. Not sure about missing chests though.

Onward to my completion run then. I reckon I'm in the orb zone in Tule Tree (no map) and it's pretty demanding. I love it, in a masochistic way.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm at 90% in Santa Luchita and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Why hasn't some gamesfaqs user made a map like people make for every Metroid and Castlevania?!

This is especially annoying because this is my second playthrough and I had 100% at Santa Luchita the first time.

I'm at 90% in Santa Luchita and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Why hasn't some gamesfaqs user made a map like people make for every Metroid and Castlevania?!

This is especially annoying because this is my second playthrough and I had 100% at Santa Luchita the first time.

have you done all the side quests? like Enchilada quest, mssing brother quest, Chicken Thief Quest, Musician find Quest and have you done all the COMBOs from Combo Chicken?

there is a Chicken tunnel hidden in the underground bar path too

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
have you done all the side quests? like Enchilada quest, mssing brother quest, Chicken Thief Quest, Musician find Quest and have you done all the COMBOs from Combo Chicken?

there is a Chicken tunnel hidden in the underground bar path too

Oh it was missing brother. I'm an idiot. Thanks!

So where's the best place to get a 300-hit combo?

Guevara

I just started a new game on hard. Like 10 minutes into it I get the 150+ combo achievement (which I never got on Normal).

15 minutes in I got a 250+ combo that pretty easily could have been 300 if I hadn't screwed up.

suikodan

I have a question about coop. Can you play the story mode in coop or is it a separate story?

And since coop on PS3 is two players on the same screen, can two players be far from each other when coop-ing with a Vita player?

Moofers

I have a question about coop. Can you play the story mode in coop or is it a separate story?

And since coop on PS3 is two players on the same screen, can two players be far from each other when coop-ing with a Vita player?

Story mode is the same with 1 or 2 players. And both players share the screen regardless of the system used. You actually drag eachother to the next screen/area if one person leaves first.

NZNova

Finished it, got all the orbs. Gonna have to give it a go on hard. What a fantastic game, I hope they either do a sequel or another game in this style. I really love a good metroidvania. Especially one as well made as this. The combat is great, the platforming is great, and it can be really hard when it wants to be. I will exchange cash money for more, more, more.

EasyMode

Just got to the
second form of the final boss
. Come the fuck on.

When I beat him I pretty much ignored throwing the rocks and just beat on him between his attacks, all of which have a tell. Use chicken form to stay under the big horizontal beam.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Or just duck. :p
When you know his patterns, the final boss ain't that hard.

4lejandro

THIS GAME, man what a tight satisfying experience, only gripe is that it's too short! I hope they add some side quests, new areas or something vía DLC.

I'm kinda bummed though, because of the
Desierto Caliente blue block glitch
I can't 100% it...

Had a great time completing it in Hard Mode, felt like a god air dodging and rolling and juggling and kicking ass, the gauntlets where intense the 2nd time around, had a blast getting my ass handed to me by and finally defeating
Jaguar Javier
, as Moofers said it's definitely going into my Top 5 GOTY list

I think the Vita spoiled this game for me, I tried it on my PS3 the other day and just couldn't get into it, I'm too used to dodging with L and switching with R, also the Vita's clicky buttons and d-pad are perfect for this game. Wish there was an option for remapping the buttons on PS3.

P.S. My account has just been approved after what appeared to be the longest time (wasn't that bad hehe) I've been a lurker for quite some time, this is my first post!
Hope I don't get banned or something lol

Ah, I platinumed it last night. Such a great game, beginning to end. It makes me want to play Mutant Blobs. Oh, on the two really hard orbs, I found the disappearing platforms a lot harder than Tree Top. I have a huge tip on the latter: once you get to the saw blades, don't jump, only goat fly. It makes it really easy.

4lejandro

That works?! Silly me :)

Are you sure you haven't overlooked a chicken tunnel? Because I ran into the glitch and was still able to 100% it.

I'm not sure anymore! I watched a youtube video of the chest locations and I think I got them all... I've seen instances of
destroyed colored blocks reappearing in other areas without it affecting my percentage
I guess I'll scour the area once more, I'm pretty sure I got the chest the first time around.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
About that bug...
there are some platforms somewhere in the middle of the desert whom only appear in The Land Of The Dead. When traversed, it get's you quite high, and there's a chest at the end. I was stuck at 93% to, untill I found that.
And yes, that blue block re-appeared aswell. Heck, almost all blocks re-appeared in the Final Dungeon. :p

Reclaimer

Vita or PS3 for first playthrough?

Both visuals (is it too small to see what's happening on the vita?) and controls (does the awesome vita dpad work well for this, or should I go with the ds3 stick?) are of concern.

4lejandro

I have a huge tip on the latter: once you get to the saw blades, don't jump, only goat fly. It makes it really easy.

Heh, I found it easier to just wall jump instead of flying, felt like a ninja in the process lol. Either way, completing that particular area was highly satisfying, I like how the game prepares us for that kind of challenge.

Reclaimer, IMO Vita all the way, see my previous post.

Edit: Added my opinion on which platform for first play-through, posted in quick succession.

Maxwood

Vita or PS3 for first playthrough?

Both visuals (is it too small to see what's happening on the vita?) and controls (does the awesome vita dpad work well for this, or should I go with the ds3 stick?) are of concern.

I've played it on Vita only. Works just fine. Some letter's where a bit small though. And yes, the D-Pad's usable. :)

Pejo

Well, just jumped on SEN Store at lunch and picked this up. I think i'm going to play it first on my Vita. I just love looking at stuff on that screen. Now only to make time go faster...

OmahaG8

I think the Vita spoiled this game for me, I tried it on my PS3 the other day and just couldn't get into it, I'm too used to dodging with L and switching with R, also the Vita's clicky buttons and d-pad are perfect for this game. Wish there was an option for remapping the buttons on PS3.

LOL. Me, too. I was all excited to try cross save, and I was thinking "man, I am gonna wreck it on the dual shock!"

Transferred saves. Tried to play. I don't even remember the mappings, but using L2/R2 ruined it for me instantly. Went right back to Vita and didn't look back.

Skyzard

Banned
If you don't have a grip accessory I can't recommend the Vita version for long play-throughs if you get cramped with them, like I did. Perfect with a grip though, didn't play it on PS3 once.

Gadirok

Gosh I caved and looked at the guide for the last bit of getting one of the orbs for the tree.

I got as far as thinking that I needed to hit the giant flotting square block with spikes on the top but couldn't figure out what to do next and always tried to jump on the spikes.

Then I looked at the guide to make sure if this wasn't just a useless block to make sure I was on the right track. I apparently was, but by then I already read the bit that I needed to keep hitting it as fast as I could so something would open. I only glanced over it since I feel weak to access the need of a guide.

I kept at it, atleast 10 more times. Then as I fell down after hanging on for the last time, I realized underneath a totem there was a grey looking odd shaped block, and then realized the guide must have mentioned that this is what was opening! Grabbed the orb as soon as I realized that.

A question, for the trophy involving using melee only attacks against the final boss, does it mean that we can't use meteorites right? But we can still use the power up attacks like the derp dash and uppercut?

Gadirok

Dudes, and everyone who owns a PS3 and a vita and Guacamelee, I need to set something straight.

The 1080p on my TV looks absolutely delicious, and as great at the Vita version looks I was blown away at how great the game looked when I did crosssave for the first time to access the PS3version. But the controls were honestly butchered after playing inbetween the vita version because the vita setup is much simpler (with the exception of changing to chicken, I hate using the touch screen).

HOWEVER, there is a solution! A way to enjoy the brilliant vita setup with the absolute perfection of graphics via the PS3!

The answer is remote play, to get the best version of guacamelee.

Simply turn on remote play on your vita when you start guacamelee on PS3. Then go to your home settings and change the default remote to the Vita. The OP even mentions it.

Its seriously the best, your vita turns into a easy map like system while the TV becomes the screen with crisp guacamelee graphics.

Its the best way to play Guacamelee.

And welcome to GAF.

4lejandro

Dudes, and everyone who owns a PS3 and a vita and Guacamelee, I need to set something straight...

Its the best way to play Guacamelee.

And welcome to GAF.

I'll definitely try that out, thanks!

So I went back to Desierto Caliente and it turns out I had been missing a little chicken tunnel in an underground area I just passed by once, one step closer to that platinum!

Number45

If you don't have a grip accessory I can't recommend the Vita version for long play-throughs if you get cramped with them, like I did. Perfect with a grip though, didn't play it on PS3 once.
For some reason I don't have that issue. I don't have HUGE hands, but they're quite large and I have fairly long fingers and I find it perfectly comfortable (something I've never been able to say for a Nintendo handheld) without grips.

Skyzard

Banned
For some reason I don't have that issue. I don't have HUGE hands, but they're quite large and I have fairly long fingers and I find it perfectly comfortable (something I've never been able to say for a Nintendo handheld) without grips.

Not even during the tree top orb sections? :p

I dunno, I feel like an aggressive approach was best for everything, kind of like in Bayonetta. You have this almost-good-for-everything dodge-move so just keep close to enemies and just punch & kick & wrestle your way to victory while keeping sure that you dodge whatever attacks come your way. Whenever I tried to be cautious, it felt like I wasn't fully in control of the situation, like I was more in the mercy of the enemy (though, being overly aggressive was a bit chaotic at times too).

This is 100% truth. I had many problems when fighting Jaguar because I tried to play it safe, stay on the defense, stick to the walls etc. He killed me again and again. When I went 100% offensive - staying close to him, punching and rolling around with the occasional jump away I didn't even notice how he already lost 75% of life and I was hit maybe once. You just have to "hug" him and never let go.

Game is BEST when you play very aggressively.

Same is true for the disappearing platforms in Sierra: when I was planning it around in my head, double jumping + headbutting to stay on one platform indifinitely etc. I could not make it to the top. Then I tried just to go with the flow and double jump + uppercut as I saw fit, on the fly - without planning exactly where to land and ... I made it! Incredible. The game gives you such a great feeling when you are zoned in... it all clicks and seems so very easy (Sierra, Jaguar, Tree Tops).

So far it is easily GOTY 2013 for me.

The second game I ever platinumed.(first one was Wipeout2048)
zlxYNCP.jpg
Feels good. Hard mode was really satisfying.
Took me about 24h over all. I guess I'm kinda slow but it took me some time to find all the orbs.

G_Berry

Banned
Just bought this after reading some of the impressions in this thread.

Downloading now. 4 mins remaining!!!!!

On a side note.... I forgot how good silence of the lambs is. Credits rolling as I type this lol. Great flick.

the Desert and the Forrest are the two maps that I easily miss chests even on my 3rd replay through lol.

I am too slow to bust the leaderboards for speed runs

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yay Platin. Got trough hard mode in 3:23, hardest part was Javier... damn him.

Got 73th in the Leaderbords for Hard mode :D
Congrats! I recently got my platinum as well, and placed 103rd in the hard 100% leader board. Great little game! Will be co-oping with a mate and going for a speedier normal run soon. Can't put it down!

Edit: oh btw, any tips for budding speed runners? Skip-able stuff, must-know tricks, etc.?

4lejandro

I also got my Platinum today (it's my first Platinum!), I was missing catch the rainbow and I got it after a few tries on the start of the 3rd gauntlet in Caverna del Pollo. Can't wait to try the DLC.

Feels good!

Top Bottom