• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Yeah I messed around up there for ages as well. I'd have a good root around in the catacombs. Do you have the one in the top left of the vine area?

You mean that's not it then? Sheesh all that effort for nothing... Yeah I think I have that one, I'll check the catacombs again.

papercamm

KYvPVFl.jpg

I take it this isn't supposed to happen?

DBT85

I really do love the quirky pop culture stuff in the backgrounds of Drinkbox games.

I play through them and I'm thinking

XS5LK.gif

The_Monk

How hard is hard mode to someone who is not very good at these games and mostly plays on Normal if not on Easy fellow GAFfers?

Be honest! Thanks in advance.

Dawg

I'm still not sure if I should buy this.

Drinkbox also made Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack and it got very good review scores and most of Neogaf liked it as well, but I didn't really like that game. It had cool graphics and "fun" gameplay, but I just... grew bored of it after an hour or so.

Because of that, I really don't know if I should give this game a chance. I'm not saying Mutant Blobs is awful and/or Drinkbox makes bad games, but sometimes... you just don't like a particular dev's work, ya know? It's not bad, but just not for you.

I must really suck at this game or I can't see a hidden passageway or something because I cannot get past this part.

There is no hidden passage. You have to swap dimensions as you go up. Use Up + Circle when you reach the top of your jump and shift dimensions quickly using RT. I'm in the Tule Tree now and it can be pretty frustrating if you don't have mad reflex skills.

graywolf323

How hard is hard mode to someone who is not very good at these games and mostly plays on Normal if not on Easy fellow GAFfers?

the normal mode on this game can be quite difficult and I say that was someone who plays on normal or easy most of the time

4lejandro

You mean that's not it then? Sheesh all that effort for nothing... Yeah I think I have that one, I'll check the catacombs again.

I had missed a chicken tunnel in the underground area of desierto caliente, there is a cloaked yellow skeleton it's pretty obvious but easy to miss as there's nothing else of interest in that area (I only passed through it once before meeting
the devil

Labadal

Can't beat Javier Jaguar :I tips guys?

My advice if you're playing on normal is to be patient. Stick to the walls with triangle, then when he does his jumping attack, close in and use the required attack. If you can, do a combo or two. Back to the walls, use goat fly so he doesn't hit you with his fire move. Keep on doing that and you'll win.

Fox1304

Finished the game last night.
Excellent in all aspects. Exploration is nice, combat is slick and tight, progression interesting, and the game is full of humor. ( loved the Journey reference and the " Derp Derp Dash " :D )
The last two bosses were pretty hard, but being patient and learning the attack patterns they became easier at each retry.
Started the game on my Vita, and last night decided to finish it on the big screen on the PS3 : Vita -> Upload -> PS3 -> Download -> Awesome !
Can't recommend the game enough.

253216_10152801894080472_1785016179_n.jpg

GOTY.

THis is my first platinum also. May be the only one for a while.

There are MANY bugs in the game (Spawns not appearing, doors not opening) specially in Caverna del Pollo.

Will be there for DLC

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I found hard mode to be not that much more difficult than normal, most of the time, accounting for the skills I had developed over the course of the first playthrough. You'll have to really learn how to avoid getting hit, especially at the beginning when you have little health and at the end where the combat rooms get intense; you won't be able to mindlessly mash your way through combat rooms. Bosses were all significantly more difficult in the sense that I had to really learn their patterns well, and it took numerous deaths to do that. If you don't mind dying a few times while mastering a boss fight, you'll be okay.

Mokubba

Fantastic game.

Now time to go for the platinum.

How bad is hard mode because I did struggle with some enemies and bosses.

Ok, I've seriously started the game now. I have just stopped against tiger-man because he was kicking my ass like crazy. Damn I never thought this game would be that challenging. He has too many attacks and he releases them quickly.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time. :$

DigitalOp

Banned
So.. I bought the game at launch and just booted it up for the first time tonight and played with my girlfriend.

We finished all the way up to the end of Temple of Rain.

Glorious. Just too damn glorious.

She even did both rounds of Chicken Tutorial Combos by herself <3

Sry for bump, felt I had to share

Camjo-Z

I'm still not sure if I should buy this.

Drinkbox also made Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack and it got very good review scores and most of Neogaf liked it as well, but I didn't really like that game. It had cool graphics and "fun" gameplay, but I just... grew bored of it after an hour or so.

Because of that, I really don't know if I should give this game a chance. I'm not saying Mutant Blobs is awful and/or Drinkbox makes bad games, but sometimes... you just don't like a particular dev's work, ya know? It's not bad, but just not for you.

Just want to say that I shared this exact same sentiment and still do. I saw people saying it was a game worth getting a Vita for and when I finally played it I was like "THIS is supposed to be one of the best games for the system? I mean it's OK but... REALLY?"

That said... I decided to take a chance on Guacamelee since it had a PS+ discount and I did not regret it in the slightest. It is far better than Mutant Blobs Attack in every possible way.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Mexican colloquial expressions when you pull off multi-hit combos. Trivia incoming:

20 Hits: "Vientos"
This is a word play on "bien" (fine), instead using the word "vientos" (winds). Normally used as a greeting to show joy.

40 Hits: "¡Órale!"
Same as above in the game's case, but this expression is used in a lot of different ways, sometimes as surprise, encouragement, agreement, or to emphasize something. It's often compared to "OK".

80 Hits: "¡Toma perro!"
I haven't heard this one often, but there are a lot of variations of it depending on where one lives. I can picture myself saying it while doing a fist pump in celebration, "Hell yeah!" or "Take that, (dog?)!". (Not a literal dog.)

100 Hits: "Macizo"
To be honest, I've never heard it used like this, so I'm going to have to weasel my way around this one. Macizo is used to describe something sturdy, firm, solid. Personally I would have this one switched places with "¡Órale!" in the game.

120 Hits: "Pa'su mecha"
This is a classic, I've heard it since I was born. There are variations like "Pa'su madre" but that's considered profanity so don't use it around kids. :p This is the equivalent to "Holy sh*t!" in my opinion.
This is great! Many thanks for the trivia!

EvaristeG

Banned
So I have a question, I collected 5 orbs during my first playthrough, I just miss the one from
the tree tops
, does it mean I'll keep them during my next playthrough on hard mode ? Can I still see the alternate ending during this playthrough ?

NM : I didn't see that I can fight the last boss again on my current playthrough.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I have a question, I collector 5 orbs during my first playthrough, I just miss the one from
the tree tops
, does it mean I'll keep them during my next playthrough on hard mode ? Can I still see the alternate ending during this playthrough ?

You have to get them all again.

Yuterald

Just finished my 100% Hard run and scored the Plat at the same time. I also beat the final boss on Hard with melee attacks only. Not too bad. It took me 6 hours to complete the game on Hard at 100% with no guides. I'm surprised I found all the Orbs/secrets on my own, to be honest. The one in the forest was probably the most well hidden. It took me a bit to realize that an Orb is around an area where those
statues
are located in the background. The secret area above the tree top stage was pretty wild too. There was some pretty crazy, old school platforming going on there.

Game was cool. I like it more than Mutant Blob, but all the internet/game references kind of brings it down for me in the end. I'm always in the mood to scratch a Metroidvania itch so the game did its job. Looking forward to see what these guys do next. 2/2 for me, so far!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^ Congrats! This game has definitely been one of the more satisfying and enjoyable plats to get.

I finished my first speed run (on normal, not going for 100%) yesterday, and was surprised to see that it placed 14th! I made a bunch of navigation errors and occasionally stopped to get chests/upgrades, so I reckon I'll try at least once more.

Clocked in at 1:39 in the end (the fastest is like 1:07 I think). I'm sure there are some beasts owning the top times in this very thread. Anyone else care to share?

linkent

damn this game is freaking fun..
finally reach last boss..

so i have 90% on the last temple..
99% on world map..

is that last 10% / 1% the last orb?

Duffyside

Banned
When Drinkbox comes out and says they're "not thrilled with" Guac's sales, that will be an ugly day for Sony... I hope for the opposite, but I'm cynical when we don't see ANY actual numbers ever from Sony.

What are the differences between Hard Mode and Normal Mode, besides the difficulty?

There will be more enemies that are shielded, enemies will cancel attacks, do more damage, seem to be more of them, and in general are more relentless.

On the platforming side nothing changes, except areas that had enemies in them the first go around make traversal a little more complicated.

VanWinkle

Wait. How did the vita version outsell the PS3 version? There was only one version.

Nope. There's two versions. If you buy the Vita version, you'll also get a PS3 version, and if you buy the PS3 version you also get the Vita version. This means that many more people bought the Vita version.

Nope. There's two versions. If you buy the Vita version, you'll also get a PS3 version, and if you buy the PS3 version you also get the Vita version. This means that many more people bought the Vita version.

Yeah I wish I knew how they are tallying this. If they are being honest then what you say is true, more people purchased the Vita version than bought the PS3 version regardless if either method gets you both. You are still choosing which one to initially buy.

Also this has happened before with Retro City Rampage.

Top Bottom