• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Grinchy

Banned
I finally bought this game and I immediately started out playing it with the cross-controller feature. It's pretty awesome to constantly have your map in front of you, updating in real-time. I know there is a chest ahead before I have even had a chance to see it on my TV. It controls very well with the Vita Dpad too, my only slight complaint is that using the Dpad and the left trigger button for dodging is not completely ideal. I just feel like my hand is a little cramped up in the corner of the Vita. But again, that's a very minor complaint and I probably won't even be thinking about it after I play some more.

This game is gorgeous btw.

Agent X

Yeah I wish I knew how they are tallying this. If they are being honest then what you say is true, more people purchased the Vita version than bought the PS3 version regardless if either method gets you both. You are still choosing which one to initially buy.

Also this has happened before with Retro City Rampage.

Is it possible they're counting activated downloads? That way, people who download it onto both a PS3 and Vita would be contributing to both counts, while people who only download it onto one system are only counted for that one system.

Grinchy

Banned
I've seen the complaints about the enemies having shields, and climbing the big tree. It's weird because I started liking the game more after those things.

TheChaos

Been wanting to play this with a friend. Problem is the other controller I have has an L2 button that is jammed. It's supposed to be the dodge button, right? Can we play the game without the L2 button working?

Grinchy

Banned
Sweet, I didn't know you could use the right stick for dodge. That probably eliminates my one miniscule complaint about playing on Vita (that using the L button felt a little cramped).

aparisi2274

So I am playing it on my PS3 and I have to say, the game is great, but there sure are some really annoying platforming portions...

I just finished
temple of war
and I almost snapped my controller in half when trying to get through some of the spots in the dungeon...

Still... its a fun game.

Labadal

I loved the platforming. There were one or two areas that pissed me off, but that was because of enemies throwing stuff at me.

I almost went mad when fighting the final boss. I couldn't beat him for the longest time. It felt so damn good when I finally took him down.

OddworldBOY

Neo Member
I love this game. I love 3D metroidvania-style titles though. Can't wait for Arkham Origins for Vita and highly recommend OUTLAND for PS3/360.

Number45

So I am playing it on my PS3 and I have to say, the game is great, but there sure are some really annoying platforming portions...

I just finished
temple of war
and I almost snapped my controller in half when trying to get through some of the spots in the dungeon...

Still... its a fun game.
You... might want to buy a new controller if you've struggled in the first temple.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Platinum! This and Ni No Kuni are my GOTY's so far. Wonderfull Platform Brawler, i'm now an official Drinkbox fan! :)
The Normal ending was quite depressing. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, I just picked this up again and just got the headbutt. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get out of the next room where you have to roll through barbed wire and end up warping back to the beginning of the screen every time.

Grinchy

Banned
OK, I just picked this up again and just got the headbutt. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get out of the next room where you have to roll through barbed wire and end up warping back to the beginning of the screen every time.

It sounds like the barbed wire is killing you. Make sure to press the dodge button before you get to the wire, and hold it down while you go through it (if I remember correctly).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It sounds like the barbed wire is killing you. Make sure to press the dodge button before you get to the wire, and hold it down while you go through it (if I remember correctly).

No, I'm doing that but on the other side of the barbed wire is no floor--it just drops down into a warp.

TheBear

The platforming is fun, but the combat is pissing me off. It seems like each encounter finds a new and interesting way to cheap the shit out of you.

Fucking finally!

ovDSqOR.jpg

Number45

Sounds like you need to tag another move on, like uppercut or dash.

Grinchy

Banned
Man I am loving this game. I am in Sierra Morena now and it has all just been so fun. I am really looking forward to playing Hard mode. Before I do that though, I'll probably go through the world and collect chests, do sidequests, ect.

Also I have played the whole thing in cross-controller mode and damn, I hope more PS3/Vita games do this in the future. The Vita dpad is so good for platformers and I love having the map open at all times.

W Hudson

Wow based on reading this thread I went ahead and picked this game up a couple days ago and have been blown away. I'm to the point where platforming is starting to really increase in difficulty and am loving it. This is my favorite PSN/XBLA game so far this year by far.

Finally completed it on normal. Would have been sooner had I not just given up on Javier for ages. Once past him it's pretty much a cake walk. Not sure if I can be bothered to attempt on hard though, although that platinum trophy will just sit there teasing me!?!?!

Finally completed it on normal. Would have been sooner had I not just given up on Javier for ages. Once past him it's pretty much a cake walk. Not sure if I can be bothered to attempt on hard though, although that platinum trophy will just sit there teasing me!?!?!

There's a glitch for finishing the game in hard without going through the whole game again.
You finished in Normal, cool. Quit to main menu. Select new game, put yourself on the Hard option with the D-pad AND DON'T VALIDATE (or it will start the game in Hard and erase your Normal checkpoint). Back with O then go to options and enter them with X. This will activate an autosave (down left, on your screen). This glitch will autosave the difficulty without erasing your checkpoint. Back with O then select continue. You'll be at your checkpoint but if you press Select, you can see Hard written somewhere, confirming the change in difficulty. Go defeat the boss and pouf, achievement.

Back-up your save somewhere in case you mess up. That is if you want to do that. Then when you have done everything, you're gonna have to start a new game to get the trophy for beating five arenas in Hard. Rushing, it takes something like 15-20 min tops.

And in a year, when you'll have nothing to play, you will have the option to come back to Guacamelee and play it hard legit.

There's a glitch for finishing the game in hard without going through the whole game again.
You finished in Normal, cool. Quit to main menu. Select new game, put yourself on the Hard option with the D-pad AND DON'T VALIDATE (or it will start the game in Hard and erase your Normal checkpoint). Back with O then go to options and enter them with X. This will activate an autosave (down left, on your screen). This glitch will autosave the difficulty without erasing your checkpoint. Back with O then select continue. You'll be at your checkpoint but if you press Select, you can see Hard written somewhere, confirming the change in difficulty. Go defeat the boss and pouf, achievement.

Back-up your save somewhere in case you mess up. That is if you want to do that. Then when you have done everything, you're gonna have to start a new game to get the trophy for beating five arenas in Hard. Rushing, it takes something like 15-20 min tops.

And in a year, when you'll have nothing to play, you will have the option to come back to Guacamelee and play it hard legit.

Cheers, still need another playthrough though for the Orbs, and the training sidequest.

joeblow

Then when you have done everything, you're gonna have to start a new game to get the trophy for beating five arenas in Hard. Rushing, it takes something like 15-20 min tops.
Nah, you don't have to start a new game for the five areas if you glitched the Hard trophy. Simply continue your game again and use the teleport to the chicken caves (Caverna del Pollo) where you had to drop down 10 floors three times to get a mask piece. Going through those floors again will count towards your five areas to complete on Hard for the trophy.

Of course it is more satisfying to get the Plat without the glitch, but for some it is a cool option so that they can play Hard at their leisure.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
*bump*

First DLC pack announced.
It consists of three costumes, each with their own risks and rewards. You can now also switch between Tostada and Juan at will, and some new trophies wil be added. Out tomorrow.
Today, we’re pleased to show off Guacamelee’s first wave of DLC, aptly named the Costume Pack. Due out on Tuesday, June 4th in North America and Wednesday, June 5th in Europe, the Costume Pack totes three distinct costumes that alter the skills of both Juan and Tostada, giving Guacamelee further replay value and a bit of extra challenge, too.

And yes, the DLC comes packing some fresh Trophies, to boot.
Details at link.

Was really anticipating DLC from this game, one of my top 3 games of the year. Slightly disappointed with this as it doesn't add new levels or missions. I'll buy it regardless cause it's so cheap and I would like to jump back in to this game. Hopefully the next DLC is more substantial.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Probably didn't plan for it until the money came in. Hard problem to solve as a small studio.

Still, I'll support this. Any excuse to replay this is gravy by me.

Number45

Probably didn't plan for it until the money came in. Hard problem to solve as a small studio.

Still, I'll support this. Any excuse to replay this is gravy by me.
I'm sure they actually stated that DLC would only come if the support was there (so they wouldn't have had it ready and waiting), so it makes sense that the first pack is something relatively easy to put together but keeping the game in peoples minds (and still on their Vitas). Fingers crossed there will be some more full content in the future. :)

Having post release DLC seems like a risk for smaller studios, when there's no guarantee that the audience will be there.

Possible bug to keep an eye out for:

Just started the game tonight. Got around 50% done, hopped out, and then hopped back in just a few moments ago. It downloaded an update that brought about the new DLC features (costumes are now an option at the store) but I'm stuck as a chicken. I didn't realize at first but it won't let me change back. I quit out and went back in and was in the human form again and was able to change into a chicken (was making sure L1 didn't suddenly die on my controller). But again it wouldn't let me change back. During my jumping around and trying a bunch of combinations I ran past a save point and so now I'm saved as a chicken and it refuses to let me go back.

It also did a couple goofy things with completion percentage (showed me at 50% and then 54%, which is what it was when I had turned it off earlier in the evening).

And lastly a giant chicken showed up where there wasn't one before? Neat, I guess.

But yeah, stuck as a chicken. Hopefully this isn't happening to everyone after the update?

Edit: Finally found the most recent thread at GameFAQs is someone having the exact same issue. So yeah, could be more widespread as people start downloading the update and checking it out. Super awesome! What a bad night to start playing.

jred2k

So has anyone in here played and have impressions of the DLC? For only $1.99 it feels like an easy buy, but it would be nice to know if theres enough there to warrant me going back to the game.

So has anyone in here played and have impressions of the DLC? For only $1.99 it feels like an easy buy, but it would be nice to know if theres enough there to warrant me going back to the game.

Just be aware that they pulled the patch that allows you to use the DLC. If you didn't download the patch yet then you won't be able to use the DLC for a week or two when they get the patch back up and fixed.

Now, if you've had my problem and you DO have the patch but it's after getting the power that allows you to become a chicken you get stuck as a chicken once you change forms. If you have the patch but aren't at that point or you plan to start an entirely new game then there's no problems at all.

If you're stuck as a chicken like me I have to delete and redownload the game and it'll revert to being the none patched version. Fun!

At least the game is great.

GAF, how do I solve the bug where Flame Face disappear from the fight?

I bought the game from Asia PSN.

I've seen suggestions of simply turning the game off and on can sometimes fix it as well as one person mentioned getting an orb and then returning to the fight. The patch they put out and then pulled fixes the bug. I imagine it should be back out within a week or so and when that hits you should be able to continue.

Not sure if different regions have different days patches go through, though, so perhaps you'll have to wait longer?

AEREC

Been trying to hold out for a sale on this one as I just got unfinished swan and sound shapes both for $5 2 weeks ago. But I may have to just give up and buy it.

joeblow

Let me put it this way.... I've had a PS3 since launch and a Vita since last winter with a ton of software. Guacamelee is only the second game that kept me interested enough after completion to get a platinum trophy. It is a TON of fun and worth the full price of admission.

Grinchy

Banned
I keep wanting to plat this but the last 2 orbs I need to get are just so annoying. I'm sure I'll just come back to it weeks from now and do it fine but I am still too frustrated to try anymore.

Tizoc

I keep wanting to plat this but the last 2 orbs I need to get are just so annoying. I'm sure I'll just come back to it weeks from now and do it fine but I am still too frustrated to try anymore.

lol I alraedy got those orbs and got the trophy for that.

BTW has the game been patched/updated yet?

Top Bottom