• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

This game is gorgeous. It feels like Bioshock Infinite where I stop to take a screenshot every few minutes.

In Drinkbox we trust.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any replay value once its platinumed?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just played this game for approx. 1 hour. The first hour of this game is expertly paced.

You unlock everything at the right time. It requires precision within the first 30 minutes, which is a great departure from bigger games where it takes hours to unlock the game proper. Not often you get into the game so quickly and it's immediately fun.

You don't get checkpoint reset back a lot. Overall, first impressions for me are amazing.

(Playing on the Vita)

nowai

Ok, only about 30mins in, but I am loving this game.

60FPS is glorious. Should be standard in all games.

VanWinkle

So I tried to do the cross-controller thing. Can I not control it with the Vita only? It seems the Vita can be assigned to second player only. This seems odd. Don't get me wrong, when I tried controlling a second player it worked BRILLIANTLY, Wii U level low-latency, but I was kinda wanting to just play through it on the TV with the Vita as the controller. I assumed that's how it worked.

zroid

Banned
So I tried to do the cross-controller thing. Can I not play it with the Vita only? It seems the Vita can be assigned to second player only. This seems odd. Don't get me wrong, when I tried controlling a second player it worked BRILLIANTLY, Wii U level low-latency, but I was kinda wanting to just play through it on the TV with the Vita as the controller. I assumed that's how it worked.

Didn't they say you could use it as a map screen, or something? I swear that was a billed feature.

jaz013

Banned

VanWinkle

Didn't they say you could use it as a map screen, or something? I swear that was a billed feature.

Yeah, it shows the map, but you can't use it as a controller unless it's as a second player. It doesn't seem right, so maybe I was doing something wrong. Having the map there always is why I was wanting to use it on the PS3 with the Vita as my controller.

Downloaded and waiting to play it un about an hour. The only negative thing to me is the length. But I'll just have to play it a couple extra times

Carl

Yeah, it shows the map, but you can't use it as a controller unless it's as a second player. It doesn't seem right, so maybe I was doing something wrong. Having the map there always is why I was wanting to use it on the PS3 with the Vita as my controller.

I thought you could do that too... Maybe we misunderstood? :S

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally finished downloading, but my break is over, so I'll have to play it when I get off, or get in a few minutes here and there since it's kind of slow today! It's looks really, really clean on the Vita screen, so far.

Love Drinkbox, can't wait to see what they have in store next.

zroid

Banned

Well, that's weird, lol

I guess you're supposed to prop it up, Pikmin 3 style? :X

jwk94

So I tried to do the cross-controller thing. Can I not control it with the Vita only? It seems the Vita can be assigned to second player only. This seems odd. Don't get me wrong, when I tried controlling a second player it worked BRILLIANTLY, Wii U level low-latency, but I was kinda wanting to just play through it on the TV with the Vita as the controller. I assumed that's how it worked.
I'm wondering the same thing. I'd like to use the Vita as my primary controller.

Yeah, the map is there but you can only use the Vita for Player Two.

Gbraga

Damn, it's 60fps?? HGNNNNN

I'm hesitant to buy it now because it would stay in my backlog for a while, is Sony generous with PSN sales?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I THINK you can use the Vita as a primary but only after starting the game and having the 1st (PS3) player die or just stay off the screen. After a big a sphere will float around which the 2nd (Vita) player can pop and have the player join.

The cross play does work and it works flawlessly though.

Make sure your Vita is a registered device in the remote play options in PS3 and then just make sure you run remote play on Vita when sitting on the main menu of the PS3 and it will be black until the game starts loading.

As I said earlier, about 15-20 minutes in you unlock the 2nd player via story and then can start playing once you pop the sphere. It's great. It's also great to just use the Vita as a map. This kind of stuff is the stuff I expected on WiiU but it's only on the PS3/Vita right now and it's flawless.

My son got stuck in one part on Vita and I just quickly went to the main menu and uploaded my later save on PS3 and he DL'd it on the Vita seconds later.

Love this game. Drinkbox did it again.

Only had time to play it for an hour so far and I love it! Will be playing more of it (and maybe some Luigi's Mansion too) tonight before bed.

Edit: I know that it's too soon to say this but this may be one of my favorite bite size games to go back to for years to come :) Long Live the Vita!

LiquidMetal14

There is more spanglish in this game than in a conversation between "paisanos".

And, their translated Mega Man name? Hilarious! (Mega Man --> Mega Hombre, and yes, if the game would have been translated back in the 80's in Mexico, that would have been a possible name).

The super hermanos is quite funny as well after looking at the drawing in game.

dreamfall

Will definitely pick it up on the Vita, as the PS3 is far away from me. Just finished Infinite, so I'll have time to dive in here!

VanWinkle

Playing this in 60fps on Vita is CRAY.

i8T9qVSptLz0r.jpg

irveN51GRGaoO.jpg

I THINK you can use the Vita as a primary but only after starting the game and having the 1st (PS3) player die or just stay off the screen. After a big a sphere will float around which the 2nd (Vita) player can pop and have the player join.

The cross play does work and it works flawlessly though.

Make sure your Vita is a registered device in the remote play options in PS3 and then just make sure you run remote play on Vita when sitting on the main menu of the PS3 and it will be black until the game starts loading.

As I said earlier, about 15-20 minutes in you unlock the 2nd player via story and then can start playing once you pop the sphere. It's great. It's also great to just use the Vita as a map. This kind of stuff is the stuff I expected on WiiU but it's only on the PS3/Vita right now and it's flawless.

My son got stuck in one part on Vita and I just quickly went to the main menu and uploaded my later save on PS3 and he DL'd it on the Vita seconds later.

Love this game. Drinkbox did it again.

Yeah it's great, and works super well, but there's no simple or obvious way to use it as the only controller from what I can tell. Which is SUPER unfortunate.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
PC version where art thou?

I hope it does come to the PC eventually. Sony had anything to do with this or it's a Drinkbox joint?

Blizzard

Banned
The soundtrack people, how is the soundtrack! Is it similar to the trailer music? I'll have to check gameplay and spoiler myself otherwise! :p

LiquidMetal14

Playing this in 60fps on Vita is CRAY.

i8T9qVSptLz0r.jpg

irveN51GRGaoO.jpg

Yeah it's great, and works super well, but there's no simple or obvious way to use it as the only controller from what I can tell. Which is SUPER unfortunate.

Post them screens in the screepcaps thread. It's been semi dormant.

And did you try just starting it up and letting P1 die or just have him go off screen? After a bit it will just say press start and you just simply use the 2nd player on Vita. I don't know what happens when both die though. I suppose it's reset again and just have to repeat the process.

Blizzard

Banned
PC version where art thou?

I hope it does come to the PC eventually. Sony had anything to do with this or it's a Drinkbox joint?

I saw someone else mention that Guacamelee! is part of the Pub Fund, which may mean exclusivity for at least 6 months.

VanWinkle

Post them screens in the screepcaps thread. It's been semi dormant.

And did you try just starting it up and letting P1 die or just have him go off screen? After a bit it will just say press start and you just simply use the 2nd player on Vita. I don't know what happens when both die though. I suppose it's reset again and just have to repeat the process.

No. I'll try that. I'm just saying that should have had the functionality in there natively, without doing any tricks. Maybe they'll do an update.

why must the Vita's screenshots always be so blurry :(

I know, but you can still tell how amazing it looks.

jaz013

Banned
Blizzard said:
The soundtrack people, how is the soundtrack! Is it similar to the trailer or not. I'll have to check gameplay and spoiler myself otherwise! :p

It's fantastic from what I've played so far!

Do they put some actual mexican music in there? Salsa, merengue, "cumbias"? Because the music from the trailer was more in the Spain side, and you won't heard anything like that in the Lucha Libre scene today, or even in Mexico.

Top Bottom