• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Is the Word of the Living/Dead transition inspired from the holiday Dia de los Muertos?
Also love the Skeleton Charro.
Wish I had PS3/Vita/Money for this :c

Not really, Olé is mainly related to bullfighting and México has the biggest bullfighting ring in the world and the second in relevance ( behind the one in Madrid ).

It's more related to Flamenco than bullfighting really (at least originally), so yeah I'd agree it definitely is more of a Spanish thing.

inky

Not really, Olé is mainly related to bullfighting and México has the biggest bullfighting ring in the world and the second in relevance ( behind the one in Madrid ).

And that is why I said in my follow up post that there is a subtle difference in context and pronunciation, even the way you write it (in Mexico it is "ole" vs "olé" in Spain and Argentina for example). And yes, while the expression is used in many ways (it is meant as praise, an Arabic expression phonetically related to saying Allah), it is still mainly related and original to Flamenco. Bullfighting in Mexico still has very Spanish ties too. Believe me, I know, I live 20 minutes away from the bullfighting ring you are mentioning and my grandparents are Spanish as well ;)

Edit: I'm turning into one of those guys I hate (the ones who talk about other things instead of the game in OTs) so I'll leave it at that.

Number45

Is the Word of the Living/Dead transition inspired from the holiday Dia de los Muertos?
I have no idea what this means (or what it is), but I wonder if the inspiration comes from the Prime games? Considering Metroid is the main inspiration for the style of the game it seems sensible that they'd take some of the aspects from Prime as well.

Ask them on Twitter, I'm sure they'll answer.

Mexicovania?

I'm not liking how that rolls off the tongue. Luchavania sounds a bit more fitting I think but that's just me.

Anyway, this game flew completely under my radar so thanks so much OP for bringing it to my attention with the great OT!

zroid

Banned
So are there a bunch of subtle and not-so-subtle Toronto and/or Canada references in this game like Mutant Blobs? Or do they strictly abide the Mexican theme? :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So are there a bunch of subtle and not-so-subtle Toronto and/or Canada references in this game like Mutant Blobs? Or do they strictly abide the Mexican theme? :p
There's a bunch of references to other games and internet memes.

http://www.destructoid.com/here-are-a-few-of-the-craziest-references-in-guacamelee-250735.phtml
ZFOVP0b.jpg

eXistor

I was not aware this was a Metroid-like game (though Destructoid describes it as more of a Cave Story-like, which is actually quite different). Definitely gonna check it out now (or tomorrow when it releases in Europe).

lantus

Damn it's going to be hard to wait to for $10 store credit to come, I want to play this on my Vita so badly. :(

zroid

Banned
Watched the Quick Look... it's kinda weird how the co-op seems REALLY tacked on. Like, some of the platforming puzzles look downright annoying, even almost broken with two players. I'm going to be playing solo so it's no real bother for me, but yeah...

everything else looks great so far

TP

Played this game a bit at PAX and talked to one of the devs, hyped to buy it. The PS+ discount just keeps paying off sale price on a first day release is an interesting move.

yami4ct

Anyway I can buy this right on my Vita right now? I don't see it on the PSN console store and the online store gives me an error when I try to buy it.

boingball

Nice OT.
Game does everything right. Cross-Buy, comes out in EU at the same date as in the US and there is Plus discount.
Day 1 buy (which for me means Thursday, since I have to wait for the EU update, which occurs only Thursday mornings NZ time).

Teggy

I will buy this game even though I will likely get stuck 75% through just like every other 2D Metroidvania game I've ever played.

Top Bottom