• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games’ Tim Symons “can’t believe we pulled it off: developing an AAA game (Lego Horizon) for Nintendo Switch by PlayStation Studios”

Zacfoldor

Horizon can never be good because to make it good they would have to make Aloy an actual good character which would generate backlash from the only group they seem to worry about backlash from. The wokies.

Isn't it amazing how even the cheapest anime game can make great female characters that could simply save Horizon were they to replace Aloy yet Sony can only make Aloy. Aloy-Sue hater of men is the best they can do. I wonder why.

Honestly, slap Laura Croft model over Aloy and skip cut scenes, it becomes much much better.

Also, pulling fans away from Nintendo? Are there any PS5 owners that don't also own a Switch already, lol? They are like, both owned by most serious gamers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People who complained about/ mocked Microsoft Devs' celebration of releasing games on PlayStation, where you at? 👀
GG should be getting mocked here. They are celebrating pulling off developing an AAA game on the switch while they are releasing a PS5 remake that doesnt use ray tracing, mesh shaders, or any kind of next gen tech in it. That wouldve been something to celebrate 'pulling off'.

Porting a basic ass kiddie game to nintendo switch is beyond stupid and they deserved to be mocked and criticized for it especially when they are doing the bare minimum with the PS5. These people have lost their fucking minds.

NickFire

I been playing games since the Atari never have I seen people getting triggered by a Lego game .
Ok I’ll give you that some reactions may be weird. But I’m definitely not thrilled to see a Sony studio call a Lego game aaa 2 months post concord. At one point I was expecting to play Wolverine about now. This is not the way.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I've added this to my Steam Wishlist.
This will be my second Playstation game on PC I buy after Ghosts of Tsushima.
I'm waiting to see the end result of Zero Dawn remake, I might add that to my Steam list eventually if it's worth the upgrade from the PS4 version.

onQ123

Ok I’ll give you that some reactions may be weird. But I’m definitely not thrilled to see a Sony studio call a Lego game aaa 2 months post concord. At one point I was expecting to play Wolverine about now. This is not the way.
This game has nothing to do with Wolverine & us grown-ups are not the only gamers .

Just imagine if the Pac-Man fans was crying & complaining when devs introduced Ms Pac-Man.

I can't even imagine how it would be trying to release Resident Evil with Jill Valentine in this environment.

mdkirby

esp the 2nd game. I thought she was fine in HZD
Yeah ditto, ZD is one of my fav games, and the story was great. But somehow something they did with a combination of her acting, script, and motion capture made every interaction she had come across as disengenously smiling and delivering hollow platitudes whilst secretly seething and talking through gritted teeth, like she couldnt stand a single second speaking with anyone, friend or foe. It made her uniquely unlikable, a problem made worse by the remarkably fleshed out dialogue with every random NPC. This problem simply didn’t seem to be present in the first game, nor was it present with other characters. By around 2/3rd through I was wishing I could just play as Zo, or the funny archeologists instead.

Whole thing left an oddly lasting and unshakable impression on me, made it about 95% of the way through and could never quite bring myself to finish it.

NickFire

This game has nothing to do with Wolverine & us grown-ups are not the only gamers .

Just imagine if the Pac-Man fans was crying & complaining when devs introduced Ms Pac-Man.

I can't even imagine how it would be trying to release Resident Evil with Jill Valentine in this environment.
Not sure where you’re going with the second and third points. Guessing you’re mad a couple games flopped.

Disagree on the first half of your point. I was expecting Wolverine until the leaks. But Sony didn’t invest resources to finish this year. Instead we got Concord and now Lego. That is not cool IMO.

Power Pro

I think my pressure went up after reading the thread, so much salt around.

As petty as some of these comments read, and how stupidly fanboyish they sound...I still kinda support the idea that it's so stupid to put first party games on a competing platform. It IS shortsighted to think putting your games on another platform, because while it may lead to increase profits for now...it sets a precedent in the future of "why do i need your platform then?"

This generation...if it wasn't for the few exclusives I really wanted to play at release...I wouldn't want a PS5 at all. So sure...give me less reason to have one. Smart.

onQ123

Not sure where you’re going with the second and third points. Guessing you’re mad a couple games flopped.

Disagree on the first half of your point. I was expecting Wolverine until the leaks. But Sony didn’t invest resources to finish this year. Instead we got Concord and now Lego. That is not cool IMO.
Why would I be mad about some games flopping? No games that I like flopped

nial

What is your point here, exactly? Would you still be mad at Sony calling Lego Horizon 'AAA' even if Concord never existed? Are you mad because you expected Wolverine in fall of 2024? What does that have to do with Lego Horizon, at all? Pretty funny how you conveniently don't mention Astro Bot in bolded, unless you also think it's "non-AAA trash".
Also, please realize that Wolverine not coming this year is a matter of workforce, rather than money.

Last edited:

MethodRed

We also don't believe it, from a Fps shooter studio to killing robots with arrows to a Lego games studio what next making games for Android? Ffs

NickFire

What is your point here, exactly? Would you still be mad at Sony calling Lego Horizon 'AAA' even if Concord never existed? Are you mad because you expected Wolverine in fall of 2024? What does that have to do anything with Lego Horizon, at all? Pretty funny how you conveniently don't mention Astro Bot in bolded, unless you also think it's "non-AAA trash".
Also, please realize that Wolverine not coming this year is a matter of workforce, rather than money.
I don’t consider Lego horizon to be triple a. I don’t care what you define it as. It isn’t aaa in my book. And it’s a poor look to be claiming it is in light of recent output.

And no, I don’t consider Astrobot to be aaa. I don’t consider it trash either. I’m not against smaller games. But I was expecting an actual aaa game from Sony this year, so I’ll mock the claims they offered one by way of Lego.

What's wild is that this Lego game will probably have better combat and traversal than Zero Dawn. I can't speak to Forbidden West.

However, will it have you pawing at the air like a cat, climbing virtual mountains while some butch pacific islander in a headress yells SHADOW KARJA at you like in Call of the Mountain? Probably not.

PSVR2 wins again.

nial

I don’t consider Lego horizon to be triple a. I don’t care what you define it as. It isn’t aaa in my book.
So...
And it’s a poor look to be claiming it is in light of recent output.
In light of the most acclaimed game of the year? LMAO, okay.
I don’t consider Lego horizon to be triple a. I don’t care what you define it as. It isn’t aaa in my book. And it’s a poor look to be claiming it is in light of recent output.

And no, I don’t consider Astrobot to be aaa. I don’t consider it trash either. I’m not against smaller games. But I was expecting an actual aaa game from Sony this year, so I’ll mock the claims they offered one by way of Lego.
Astro Bot is as AAA as a 3D platformer can get. If you don't know how to appreciate these things as they are, then it's sadly a you problem.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah ditto, ZD is one of my fav games, and the story was great. But somehow something they did with a combination of her acting, script, and motion capture made every interaction she had come across as disengenously smiling and delivering hollow platitudes whilst secretly seething and talking through gritted teeth, like she couldnt stand a single second speaking with anyone, friend or foe. It made her uniquely unlikable, a problem made worse by the remarkably fleshed out dialogue with every random NPC. This problem simply didn’t seem to be present in the first game, nor was it present with other characters. By around 2/3rd through I was wishing I could just play as Zo, or the funny archeologists instead.

Whole thing left an oddly lasting and unshakable impression on me, made it about 95% of the way through and could never quite bring myself to finish it.
Tbf, in the first game she realize of being created to save the world very late in the game so she doesn't have this huge weight on her shoulders for most of the game.

In the second game she start the game in total desperation because the place she visit is the last place available to get some info and she is the only one who can access to these facilities, and sylens trick her multiple times, so she get even more mad (understandable, i love sylens but the dude is a gigantic cunt himself, let's be honest), and she probably never rested since the start of the first game basically, that would make anyone cranky, fight me on that.

I think people completely ignore the fucktons of factors that make her what she is in the game.

She has an extremely small amount of time to save the entire planet, she is literally the only one who can do it because she has the body and voice of sobeck to access all the facilities or give orders to the ia, i don't know how anyone would be calm, lovable and funny when you have the biggest weight in your shoulder and literally everyone is more worried about their small tribe problems or religious stuff (that she knows being fairytales at best).

Add to that the fact that she has been treated like shit for her entire childhood with only one dude being kind to her and you can kinda understand.

She has no time to be friendly, she has no time to lose in petty religious\tribe stuff, i think her being a cunt that just want to save the world is kinda understandable.

If there is one videogame protagonist that has all the reason to be a cunt, it's probably aloy.

Geralt seems bored or downright annoyed to listen at peasant (that secretely hate his kind and he knows that) problems because he is usually way smarter and knoledgeable than them (same for aloy with the tribes) and i never seen anyone calling geralt a cunt because he is not all kindness and jokes...
(Not saying that aloy is written remotely as good as geralt but you get the gist)

It feels like people who strongly criticize her have no idea of the weight and responsibility that she feels, i know that if i was in her exact situation i would be mad at people wasting my times with petty shit when i try to save their collectives asses, tell me how off i am...

I remember people being mad at her destroying the bulwark and i ask to these people, what was the fucking alternative? Wasting even more time trying to convince what is clearly a piece of shitt character that only listen to actions? The chick has a time limit and the game try to convey her desperation.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Just curious, do you consider 3D Mario games (Galaxy, Odyssey) AAA?

mdkirby

Tbf, in the first game she realize of being created to save the world very late in the game so she doesn't have this huge weight on her shoulders for most of the game.

In the second game she start the game in total desperation because the place she visit is the last place available to get some info and she is the only one who can access to these facilities, and sylens trick her multiple times, so she get even more mad (understandable, i love sylens but the dude is a gigantic cunt himself, let's be honest), and she probably never rested since the start of the first game basically, that would make anyone cranky, fight me on that.

I think people completely ignore the fucktons of factors that make her what she is in the game.

She has an extremely small amount of time to save the entire planet, she is literally the only one who can do it because she has the body and voice of sobeck to access all the facilities or give orders to the ia, i don't know how anyone would be calm, lovable and funny when you have the biggest weight in your shoulder and literally everyone is more worried about their small tribe problems or religious stuff (that she knows being fairytales at best).

Add to that the fact that she has been treated like shit for her entire childhood with only one dude being kind to her and you can kinda understand.

She has no time to be friendly, she has no time to lose in petty religious\tribe stuff, i think her being a cunt that just want to save the world is kinda understandable.

If there is one videogame protagonist that has all the reason to be a cunt, it's probably aloy.

Geralt seems bored or downright annoyed to listen at peasant (that secretely hate his kind and he knows that) problems because he is usually way smarter and knoledgeable than them (same for aloy with the tribes) and i never seen anyone calling geralt a cunt because he is not all kindness and jokes...
(Not saying that aloy is written remotely as good as geralt but you get the gist)

It feels like people who strongly criticize her have no idea of the weight and responsibility that she feels, i know that if i was in her exact situation i would be mad at people wasting my times with petty shit when i try to save their collectives asses, tell me how off i am...

I remember people being mad at her destroying the bulwark and i ask to these people, what was the fucking alternative? Wasting even more time trying to convince what is clearly a piece of shitt character that only listen to actions? The chick has a time limit and the game try to convey her desperation.
Look, you’re not wrong, all of that is true, but it doesn’t really matter, it is still a game and character we have to spend a long to me with, she can have the weight on the world on her shoulders, but for us, as the players, who need to spend 100+ hours with her, it’s critical they make her likeable. You can make completely villainous monsters likeable with good writing. The fact they have failed at that is either an indictment on the writers, or on the portrayal, and a case of forgetting what they were making. Hell, I came away from last of Us part 2 liking Abbe, and they realllllly went out of their way to make everything and everyone miserable ass hats.

These are the people who take console ownership too far. Get the game for the console of your choice and be happy.
Pretty much *glares at Nintendo fans*. In fact recently I visited a couple of Youtube videos, both of which were trailers for Lego Horizon for Switch and PS5. On the Switch one, you'll see most of the comments all like, "wow a Sony IP on a Nintendo console woop woop Sony am going 3rd party lolzzzz" whereas in the PS5 trailer everyone there is just excited about the game, no stirring up console war bs or drama. It gives you an idea of which fans seem more sane.

Meanwhile, I'll be getting it on PS5.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
I guess people forgot Sony gave the ok to release MLB The Show on Xbox and nobody was upset. Now people are upset a kids game is getting released on a console geared towards kids.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Look, you’re not wrong, all of that is true, but it doesn’t really matter, it is still a game and character we have to spend a long to me with, she can have the weight on the world on her shoulders, but for us, as the players, who need to spend 100+ hours with her, it’s critical they make her likeable. You can make completely villainous monsters likeable with good writing. The fact they have failed at that is either an indictment on the writers, or on the portrayal, and a case of forgetting what they were making. Hell, I came away from last of Us part 2 liking Abbe, and they realllllly went out of their way to make everything and everyone miserable ass hats.
Maybe they thought that her being stoic, brave and focused on the job was enough to make her interesting but i get it, she is not exactly the most endearing character :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Not gonna lie, as an atheist, I do enjoy when she complete troll religious figures because she has shit to accomplish, so in a way i like some of her interactions:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And let's be honest, she is not always a cunt, i could post countless of sidequest cutscenes where she is genuinely worried or kind, people just like to exagerate or they didn't played any of the multitude of sidequest in the game, she is less of a cunt outside of the main mission.

Top Bottom