• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

I understand that, I'm trying to say the disconnect should already be present to a pretty large degree.

Thats one of the reasons I"m fine playing all the races and genders. But I guess it's more of a, how do you play the game question so I"m not saying your wrong. If I played the game with the thought that I was actually my character I'd feel the same way.

I understand that, I'm trying to say the disconnect should already be present to a pretty large degree.

Not really - the fantastical elements are squarely in "suspension of disbelief", but from the moment we're able to understand people around us the notions of binary gender roles and distinct discrete sexual orientations is pretty much hammered into our heads 24/7.

We're not really told, all the time, "you are not a greatsword wielding magic casting person" (not often, anyway). But we *are* told nonstop "you are a boy/girl and nothing else".

Society. Yaaay.

Complistic

Have you seen Ash's characters?

He is literally playing himself inside Tyria.

Right, I thought about what he does and edited a bit. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's just as legitimate as any other way, but I'm slightly annoyed by his remark about someone else playing something different from him. As if they shouldn't be doing that.

Emphasis on slightly.

Oh, and I know it was more of a jest than anything.

Ashodin

I don't care about what anyone else plays, just how I play. They want to be a totally green or purple plant girl? Rock on!

Have you seen Ash's characters?

He is literally playing himself inside Tyria.

Yep this is how I get the enjoyment out of the game; any game with custom created characters I do this, because I like to imagine I'm really there. It becomes, to me, much more personal.

BraXzy

I don't often try to replicate myself in games besides the odd RPG that is vaguely alike. I prefer just making someone I think looks cool who I think fits for whatever.

My load times so far don't feel any different on my SSD. And I can't work out why but fonts now look overly sharp in the game.. in the chat box and stuff. I don't know if I'm seeing things but it's bugging me haha.

Ashodin

I don't often try to replicate myself in games besides the odd RPG that is vaguely alike. I prefer just making someone I think looks cool who I think fits for whatever.

My load times so far don't feel any different on my SSD. And I can't work out why but fonts now look overly sharp in the game.. in the chat box and stuff. I don't know if I'm seeing things but it's bugging me haha.

FXAA turned off?

Retro

Hmm... interesting discussion you folks are having, right after I made a point of saying in Guild Chat how nice and open and diverse GAFGuild is when it comes to gender, race and sexuality.

For what it's worth, I have 8 characters; 4 male, 4 female (with a 5th name reserved for a male charr). Guild Wars 2 is the first MMO I've played where the male character models aren't all barrel-chested muscle-armed He-Men, and that's cut down on the number of female characters I've rolled pretty significantly (I think I had two male characters my entire time in WoW). It's hard to make a lanky thief or wizened mage when your body type looks like a 7-foot tall Barbarian, and despite being top-heavy, at least the female forms are a little more realistically proportioned to fit a wide variety of archetypes.

My Ranger in particular is as short and as scrawny as you can make a Norn, and looks pretty old (white hair) and beat up (blind in one eye, lots of scars). My human warrior somewhat roughly modeled on my own apperance (or at least as close as I can get with the options and without setting up a mirror and getting super-precise), and in all honesty I had to go with the wide, hairy body type. They need a thicker goatee too, damn it. Professor Retro is consistently called ugly, and my Sylvari Necro is a lanky sumbitch with no nose.

On the flip side, the diversity in female forms is great too; one thing the Wildstar Beta really showed me is that for a lot of developers, anything under a C-cup simply doesn't exist. My Sylvari Thief is thin and flat as a rail, as a lithe, dark-eyed assassin should be. When I first rolled her she was also bald (kind of had an Asaj Ventress thing going). My Mesmer is an adorable little pipsqueak without a trace of sexuality (of course, with Asurans, the line between genders is pretty murky anyways). My Guardian is a human female, but I've purposely looked for armor that's more realistic and isn't a chainmail bikini. She's also using a pretty normal body type.

I think the only female character I have that borders on what would be considered 'sexy' is my elementalist, and she's currently wearing a pretty conservative outfit (oddly enough, the Priory outfit is only revealing if you like armpits).

I also love how female Charr look (I am jealous as hell of Azra Ka's snowy-white Guardian), as realistic in their representation as female horned cat-people in a fantasy game can get (so many developers would have just made a buxom human, gave them digitigrade legs and slapped cat ears on them). And their tails are so fluffy and swooshy. I'll probably roll one someday, just about all of my alts are at 80 now.

Thorgal

Finally got some shots from teq fight .

gw22014-07-1302-01-43lquuj.jpg

gw22014-07-1302-03-476hu64.jpg

Ashodin

Season 2 Event #2 - Dusty Dry Top Dash - Sunday 7/13 at 9:00PM EDT

Dry Top is a unique situation compared to previous zones; it has crystals that allow for multiple paths through the zone, allowing interesting and creative ways to explore its myriad of areas! What I propose is a race between five teams (or less) of players.

• We'll group up, and then start from Dry Top Waypoint, progress through the area to the Jumping Puzzle, where the first part of the race will end.
  • Then, the second part will start, dropping down the Jumping Puzzle without dying. If you can make it down the Jumping Puzzle without dying, your team is still in the race! All those who die must stay out of the race. I'm calling this part "The ELIMINATOR".
  • The next part of the race will be from the Jumping Puzzle to Prosperity Saloon - be careful of quicksand!
  • Finally, the last leg of the race will be to Sparring Rock, where Nochtli usually battles. The first member of any team there wins!
  • The prize will be the prize pool (from the guild bank) split between eligible team members. Any weird fractions will be rounded up to an even amount each.
  • Guildies that wish a chance to win the prize pool need only donate 1g (up to 5g) to the Guild Bank and race along with the guildies! Only players who have donated will be split the earnings if their team wins.
  • Guildies that just want to race without a chance at winning can do so, and still earn money for their team if they win!
  • Officers that can attend, please do so and if possible, donate money to the winnings (1 to 5g) in the Treasure Trove.
  • Instructions will be in Mumble and guild chat on the day of the race. It's a friendly match!
  • Please do not feel pressured to attend if you do not enjoy Dry Top or Racing in general.
  • Cheating will be not tolerated - using waypoints to hop around is NOT legal and we will have officers stationed at the waypoints to spot any GAFers that waypoint there during the race. Donations will be before the race is held so we know who exactly is eligible (or to be disqualified mwa ha ha).

Awww yeahh and if you win, your team will be

DRY TOP MASTER

Thorgal

Season 2 Event #2 - Dusty Dry Top Dash - Sunday 7/13 at 9:00PM EDT

Dry Top is a unique situation compared to previous zones; it has crystals that allow for multiple paths through the zone, allowing interesting and creative ways to explore its myriad of areas! What I propose is a race between five teams (or less) of players.

• We'll group up, and then start from Dry Top Waypoint, progress through the area to the Jumping Puzzle, where the first part of the race will end.
  • Then, the second part will start, dropping down the Jumping Puzzle without dying. If you can make it down the Jumping Puzzle without dying, your team is still in the race! All those who die must stay out of the race. I'm calling this part "The ELIMINATOR".
  • The next part of the race will be from the Jumping Puzzle to Prosperity Saloon - be careful of quicksand!
  • Finally, the last leg of the race will be to Sparring Rock, where Nochtli usually battles. The first member of any team there wins!
  • The prize will be the prize pool (from the guild bank) split between eligible team members. Any weird fractions will be rounded up to an even amount each.
  • Guildies that wish a chance to win the prize pool need only donate 1g (up to 5g) to the Guild Bank and race along with the guildies! Only players who have donated will be split the earnings if their team wins.
  • Guildies that just want to race without a chance at winning can do so, and still earn money for their team if they win!
  • Officers that can attend, please do so and if possible, donate money to the winnings (1 to 5g) in the Treasure Trove.
  • Instructions will be in Mumble and guild chat on the day of the race. It's a friendly match!
  • Please do not feel pressured to attend if you do not enjoy Dry Top or Racing in general.
  • Cheating will be not tolerated - using waypoints to hop around is NOT legal and we will have officers stationed at the waypoints to spot any GAFers that waypoint there during the race. Donations will be before the race is held so we know who exactly is eligible (or to be disqualified mwa ha ha).

Awww yeahh and if you win, your team will be

cooltext1643824749.png

3: 00 AM on a working day . :- (

I am emigrating to America !

xeris

My main is male, all of my alts are female.

Apparently 21 of my characters are male. M = Male. 80 = Level 80, (P, V, W) = Priory, Vigil, or Whispers.

Looks like the PDF conversion ate all the thiefs. So for the exactly no one that cares, there's 2 male (1 = 80) and 3 female (2 = 80, 1 P and 1 W)

One day i will be there with you guys .

On another note , anyone know a good rotation for Warrior axe/mace ?

This is the current set up i am using ( Balanced stance is also available )
gw22014-07-1212-44-29zwen8.png

Any tips and improvements you guys can give ?
Pop heal, Fury, FGJ, 4, Eviscerate, Chop, Double Chop, 5, Chop, Double Chop, 2, Chop, Double Chop, Triple Chop, Eviscerate, repeat. Insert skills right after double chop as they exit cooldown. Try never to interrupt a triple chop after it does the second swing, since the third does a lotta bonus damage.

That will change quite a bit depending on what grandmaster trait you choose.

For trash just cycle FGJ, 4, chop dchop, 2, autoattack until death.

Reason I have you opening with 4 is so you can put vulnerability on target asap. Flat % damage increase on every subsequent strike.

I was going to do a 100% map clear on my Guardian (currently 29%) but he moves so slow and I think I'm going to go for that on a different class that has more mobility. I'm leaning towards Thief or Ranger at the moment. Apparently the Warrior is a very mobile class but it plays too similar to Guardian so I'm going to avoid it for now.

spiritfox

I was going to do a 100% map clear on my Guardian (currently 29%) but he moves so slow and I think I'm going to go for that on a different class that has more mobility. I'm leaning towards Thief or Ranger at the moment. Apparently the Warrior is a very mobile class but it plays too similar to Guardian so I'm going to avoid it for now.

You can get Swiftness or Traveller Runes which give you the 25% speed boost at tier 6. They're not cheap though. Also, Guards have a bunch if easy Swiftness, so just spam them when possible.

SirKhalid

Use a staff and use some shouts to have mobility.

Shiokazu

i lost the gender discussion.
:( i'd love to have taken part, but EVO was going on and i almost had an heart attack because i love EVO, its so amusing to me.

( its the only thing i can watch and say, wow, this is entertaining. )

oh about the race, i want to collaborate with the prize, the 1st place team gets a full set of exotic armor of with stats of their choice done by me. so the race gets interesting.

( thought right now i can only make light and heavy armor, im progressing through mediun too, so pretty much everyone gets their prize! )

And here I am with 5 female characters, and nothing else. :/

I actually feel more normal playing female characters in games, since I have a tendency to try and make a bunch of nice outfits. I have, however, fallen to the underboob temptation that is the assassin armor. :x

I spent a LLLOOOTTTTT of money dressing up in Pokemon Y. Thank god for no microtransactions.

Shiokazu

And here I am with 5 female characters, and nothing else. :/

I actually feel more normal playing female characters in games, since I have a tendency to try and make a bunch of nice outfits. I have, however, fallen to the underboob temptation that is the assassin armor. :x

I spent a LLLOOOTTTTT of money dressing up in Pokemon Y. Thank god for no microtransactions.

i feel more normal with female games, but for other reasons. and the dress up too.

the rest is psychological bullshit that goes on.

Hellers

My characters so far

Male human guardian - 80
Female human ranger - 80
Female human elementalist - 63
Female human necro - 40
Female human mesmer - 40
Asuran male thief - 20
Sylvari female guardian - 20
Male human thief - 30
Male Char elementalist - 30
Male Norn warrior - 30
Female human engineer - 36

I have a mix. I made my first two 80s black as well since it seems to be terribly underrepresented in the game. I did the same with my only Elonian character in GW1 as well. There were all these choices for african looking characters and everyone was white. Felt a bit weird given the setting of Nightfall.

I do generally play female characters in games when I can though. I think what set me on the mix this time was creating my 80 guardian. The pimp machine Jim Dynamite.

Thorgal

O.M.G i am lucky today .

First i get a tp chest key drop from a random mob .

then when i used it i get a royal terrace pass for 2 weeks and a mini's 3 pack. (set 3).

BraXzy

O.M.G i am lucky today .

First i get a tp chest key drop from a random mob .

then when i used it i get a royal terrace pass for 2 weeks and a mini's 3 pack. (set 3).

That's pretty sweet! I have a couple of those royal passes but I don't wanna use em and just waste them.. I guess I'll wait till ai know I'm going to do a bunch of crafting or TP buying or something. Which mini's did you get?

Thorgal

That's pretty sweet! I have a couple of those royal passes but I don't wanna use em and just waste them.. I guess I'll wait till ai know I'm going to do a bunch of crafting or TP buying or something. Which mini's did you get?

gw22014-07-1312-09-19jydty.png

gw22014-07-1312-09-24lnisu.png

And lastly , talk about irony for yesterday .

gw22014-07-1312-09-22dniiy.png

Katoki

I used 9 keys because I had 4 saved up and some extra gems. I walked out with 3 scraps, 8 powder things for boosters, and a bunch of random useless stuff like the repair canisters and bank access items.

To be expected; ANet please never change.

BraXzy

I used 9 keys because I had 4 saved up and some extra gems. I walked out with 3 scraps, 8 powder things for boosters, and a bunch of random useless stuff like the repair canisters and bank access items.

To be expected; ANet please never change.

No one is going to beat 1 full BL claim ticket and 8 scraps from 15 keys :p

It was on my birthday though so I put it down to the birthday gods or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom